Losing temper with Thai staff

madmitch

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Maybe you are expecting the Thais to behave , in an employment situation, in the same/similar manner as Westerners ?

They will not ! Thais carry a lot of cultural baggage and their education system is rooted in rote learning even at University level.

What is being invested in developing the Thai employees skills. ?

No investment then no return !

True, but if never told when wrong, they will also never learn anything. That is also why the "Lose Face" concept (and Thais hiding behind that) is a load of BS, because it is actually keeping people from ever learning anything.

Your reply demonstrates exactly why some people have a problem .

Get yourself educated and begin to appreciate the values and complexities of cultural issues.

Enabling people is about more than "telling them" when wrong.

Is the "big boss" always right ?

It doesn't matter if you spend a long time educating yourself on Thai culture. I firmly believe the main problem is that Thai face is not logical in the business world, it just doesn't work. Coupled with the rampant nepotism and cronyism mentioned throughout this thread and what you end up with is a team of people who are likely not qualified to do the job and are just a drain on the financial resources of the company.

This results in the good people that are there carrying the extra load to try and keep the business on the straight and narrow. Sooner or later tempers fray, people get frustrated and people get upset and "lose face",, then it gets worse.

I have seen this many times, it is not uncommon. The reality is that Thailand needs to wake up if it wants to compete. It has had the benefit of wealthier countries throwing business at them in order to reduce margins and improve profits (exactly the same as china) but that won't last forever. They have to be great to compete or they will lose eventually.

I have been working in Thailand for nearly 2 years now. The situation is such that instead of putting all of the business through the Thai company i am moving some back to a Western (EU) company,, why? simply because it may be an extra 2% but I can trust that everything is done on time, every time (nearly) and the qualify is right. I know i am not alone in this thinking. Sometimes the slightly lower cost is more then offset in dealing with all of the problems and the reputation issues you face when the end product is late or has problems.

In summary, it is not for everyone else to learn and adjust to Thai culture, it is for Thailand to adjust to International business standards.

Good luck with dealing with this, just remember you can't fix it on your own.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, despite the talk about the harsh relationships in business in Japan, a smooth working climate is the norm and personal confrontations are avoided. Employees are very rarely fired. All of the comments so far have related to you and your employee as individuals. I recommend that you consider the morale of the group. Groups in Asia, in general, are not as permeable as groups in Western countries. I would like to recommend that you be cheerful and pleasant to the employee that you disciplined and that if you later find that it is advisable to remove her for the good of the company,try to do it in a way that is least harmful to her. The issue should not be your ego and ensuring that the employees have the proper fear of you. You must consider the covert audience of your behavior. In my experience, you can complain and criticise if it is seen as reasonable by the group (your employees, your family and whoever else) and you do it in a reasonable and calm way. As an old friend of mine once said, "In Asia, if you lose your cool, you lose."

It doesn't matter if you spend a long time educating yourself on Thai culture. I firmly believe the main problem is that Thai face is not logical in the business world, it just doesn't work. Coupled with the rampant nepotism and cronyism mentioned throughout this thread and what you end up with is a team of people who are likely not qualified to do the job and are just a drain on the financial resources of the company.

This results in the good people that are there carrying the extra load to try and keep the business on the straight and narrow. Sooner or later tempers fray, people get frustrated and people get upset and "lose face",, then it gets worse.

I have seen this many times, it is not uncommon. The reality is that Thailand needs to wake up if it wants to compete. It has had the benefit of wealthier countries throwing business at them in order to reduce margins and improve profits (exactly the same as china) but that won't last forever. They have to be great to compete or they will lose eventually.

I have been working in Thailand for nearly 2 years now. The situation is such that instead of putting all of the business through the Thai company i am moving some back to a Western (EU) company,, why? simply because it may be an extra 2% but I can trust that everything is done on time, every time (nearly) and the qualify is right. I know i am not alone in this thinking. Sometimes the slightly lower cost is more then offset in dealing with all of the problems and the reputation issues you face when the end product is late or has problems.

In summary, it is not for everyone else to learn and adjust to Thai culture, it is for Thailand to adjust to International business standards.

Good luck with dealing with this, just remember you can't fix it on your own.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ASEAN_countries_by_GDP_%28nominal%29

Thailand has been competing for a long time and has done very well. Perhaps you need to check out the GDP statistics of the ASEAN countries listed above.

Whatever!!

Thais yell and scream at each other, as well as scream at us, all the time. But if a Foreigner does it then it's a big taboo.

Can white people use the same words that black people use when screaming at one another? Just saying....

Posted 2014-03-24 12:25:14

"Yes, today I committed the ultimate sin of losing it with a staff member in front of others. She also happens to be a family member. I know it causes a major loss of face but I didn't expect the following to happen:

I realised I shouldn't have shouted and asked for a quiet chat, partly to apologise and also to explain why I reacted as I did. Not only would she not speak to me, she took a cushion and just held it over her face so we couldn't even see each other!

Anyone else come across a reaction like this?"

A cushion over her face? Wow....facepalm.gif Just say she should get her act together and behave like a grown-up.Tell her this is life, she'll get used to it eventually..

It's no biggiethumbsup.gif

post-205261-0-27976100-1396484111_thumb.

Before the crew meeting, inform the employee that she will be apologizing to everyone for her poor performance at the crew meeting, or else she will no longer be employed.

At the crew meeting, and after the public apology for the poor performance is given, inform everyone else that that kind of performance will not be tolerated and will be grounds for immediate termination. Outline a few other rules and guidelines which you expect to be followed.

Have them all sign a document (containing those meeting notes) that they have all been warned and that they all acknowledge as understanding and agreeing to comply. Retain this document for the purpose of giving to the Department of Labor in the event they sneak off to them after being sacked, and lie about the reason for removal.

Thank them for the meeting and move on.

If all goes well, let it sink in for a week or two, and then invite them all to an after hours meal at a cheap noodle shop and thank them all for their good work.

This story is one example whereby admitting any kind of wrong (for your part) can and will be more destructive to the whole than to the parts which make up the whole. Parts can be modified, hammered back into place or replaced, but not the whole.

• 1 month later...

She came to work for you because she was currently unemployed.

This means she was fresh out of school, unemployable, unconnected, unpresentable, stoopid, useless or all of the above.

She is under the mistaken impression that she need not relate to you or allow you to relate to her in any meaningful way.

What, exactly was her job description ??

What were the consequences of her mistake

OR

Is this more of an attitude problem, ie is she just waiting for an opening in another company ? First job out of school ?

Pulling a face anytime she's given a task ?

Facebooking, downloading Korean TV series (on your dime and your time) and burning CD's of them for her friends ?

Introducing viruses into your intranet or otherwise breaching security, when she should be working at her job ?

Failing to record details of customer enquiry ?

Chatting on "Line" rather than working or right in your face (instead of answering a direct question) ?

Listening to music and eating giggling, laughing and talking loudly at any and ALL hours of the day.

Chatting with friends on her mobile instead of answering calls.

Interrupting client calls to chat with friends.

Late for work ALL the time.

Distracting others who actually really want to focus on their jobs.

Using family gossip, racist disrespectful remarks, ridicule and exclusionary ritual to team-build other employees against your authority ?

All because she thinks that her "family connection" trumps any obligation she has to do anything but aggrandize herself ?

Many more . . . . . But you get the idea.

There's PLENTY you can do.

And you should do it.

Thais-style PASSIVE-AGGRESSIVE acting out are a luxury no business can afford.

Put a mop, bucket, cleaning cloths, duster, spray bottle of cleanser, and (best of all) a nice copra TOILET BRUSH next to her desk along with the suggestion that it is really the most convenient place to store it.

"Sometimes, 'fuggedabowdit' just means fuggedabowdit. . . . "

I like that approach also and I would do something like that to make a point rather than talk to a person who is not going to comprehend what you said or what you meant anyhow, as is usually the case, while it goes in one ear and out the other and most of what you say simply goes way over their heads anyhow and does nothing or very little to change the situation.

It reminds me of a foreign acquaintance I was talking with one time and he told me how his maid in his apartment building never cleaned the kitchen floor correctly leaving a greasy film and dirt on the floor while he told her many times that she performed her work adequately in other aspects but the kitchen floor was basically neglected.

Maybe he was being too picky but that is his privilege or prerogative anyhow as he is paying for the service.

He was British and ........well you know how the pain in the ass British can be all too often...ha ha

So after telling her many times she was not cleaning the kitchen floor correctly or adequately he decided to go out on to the street where there was a women and her young daughter he knew selling food on the street and told the mother he had 20 minutes of work for the daughter and he would pay her 200 Baht for her time explaining it was simply cleaning the floor but cleaning it well.

The mother said yes right away and he brought the young girl into the apartment while the maid was there and had the girl start to clean the floor thoroughly.

The maid immediately understood what was going on and quickly took over from what the young girl was doing while my acquaintance handed the young girl the 200 baht, as promised, right in front of the maid and then sent her on her way.

The point being: Often enough Action speaks louder than words while all too often is the only way to wake a person up.

• Like 2