VW, AUDI and VOLVO in BKK

Dear all,

please give some feedback regarding VW, Audi and Volvo in Thailand

Easy access to workshops as well as availability of parts and costs of repairs?

From where I come from, all 3 makes are very popular and there are many garages that can service as well as repair them

in BKKm do I only have a choice to go back to the agent to get them serviced?

Volvo garages are fairly easy to find, but good ones are rare, if you need a list then use the local Volvo forums, depending on where you are they will tell you straight who is worth their salt. If you need my recommends then ask. Parts are found at Euro stockists, so again a little rarer but accessible. The Volvo was used a lot here for limousine services over many years so there is a good selection of people who know what to do with them.

VW, is a different kettle of fish, very rarely you find any dealer that is not trying to take your arm and a leg, garages CAN do them, but they mostly cause secondary issues, they then don't know how to fix it. Anything post 2000, is all done with OBDII diags anyway, so if they don't have a set up, they just guess, unless its a simple job. Parts in Thailand are all only available through ONE supplier, no matter who you get to repair it. It's called Yontrakit, everyone else will only be re-selling their parts. I have personally imported parts from the US etc.. it turns out approx 1/2 price, if you don't get caught with import tax, then can fit them or take them to a dealer to get fitted. Either way its a hassle and you may be off the road for a while if its a vital part, OR you pay double to the dealer.

Audi, I have no idea, I wouldn't drive one if you paid me

Oz

• Like 1

hmmm... i've checked prices and seems like VWs are over priced in Thailand as well.

Volvos seems to be decently priced, as would older Audis.

How would anyone compare running a BMW or Benz as compared to Volvo?

I've owned an 06 e60 before and it was a pain to maintain..

Yep as Dr. Evil mentioned discussed numerous times and as for VW parts there are distributors outside of Yontrakit that deal with the parts depending on whether new or older second hand I've personally used several and prices are on par with many other cars. I agree the dealer is expensive but where isn't that the case? Especially European parts. I know of a couple of VW shops that specialize there in Bangkok too and they can do electrical as well, in at least one of those threads I put up a jpeg of one of those shops, it ain't a pretty shop but the mechanic is decent. I had a Cordoba with an unusual problem due to an improperly installed LPG system and with my help we sorted it out, some of the problem was apparently related to a previous small fire again most likely due to the install, that burned some wires that were never properly fixed, but there was also a short in another wire in a running board.

I also had a problem with my transmission not shifting properly and that too was related to a wring issue another shop tracked down, they both had computers and programming to do so, though I did have to help with some English translation in one case. There are a few good shops around that were former VW trained mechanics that went out on their own after VW left the borders a few years ago so they know their trade (VW has since come back). The idea of buying your parts and bringing for install also works but you get a surcharge for that not having bought them there, the surcharge is not obvious however, it's hidden somewhere. If you go this route, especially with an independent shop you should mark your parts with a distinguishable mark as being Thai most can't help themselves and your parts may end up in their's or someone else's car and the profit in their pocket. The one time I had a garage do my repairs instead of doing them myself because the car was in for something else and decided to have them work on it, this happened to me, it was a big stink and I didn't use the shop again but never really had to after that.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

OP, I recommend you do a search here. The questions you have asked have been asked and answered many, many times.

ozsamurai, what's your problem with Audi?

No problems as such, just don't like them.... spartan looks, cheaper tech...horses for courses

@ Warpspeed -- If you have a good electrical mechanic that can work with VW's could you PM me some details, have an T4 V6 AMV with a possible LPG problem sounding similar, I'd love a second opinion.

Oz

I managed to find it again, I had saved a map in Google that got me close and I searched from there. This link is the sign with the phone number hopefully. They are on Pyonthian 79 alley way. Best way to get there is to north on Viphavadi to Pyonthian Rd exit circle back around going south on Pyonthian to the next U-turn underneath the overpass and come back north again making the second left if memory serves me just before the Nissan dealership and go down that alley slowly as it sucks, it's very rough with plenty of potholes, or was and it's down almost to the end on the left, There is also a Jeep specialty repair shop there too as well someone was asking about one on another thread, can't speak foe them but they always seem busy, but if you see that you've passed it.

Tell them the farang with the Cordoba's from a couple of years ago recommended him but do so at your own risk tongue.png he may remember me wink.png he seems rough outwardly but knows his stuff pretty well and is for the most part honest, he helped me when I was being jerked around by the other shop I never used again.. As I said the shop is not impressive though..

Tell me what is your car doing? What have you been told? It may be a fuel pump..Strangely, may be built in, but the VW fuel pumps seem to act up before they fail. Usually fuel pumps just go sour and fail without much warning, hope that helps...

Link is crap so I'll just post the numbers but still like to give you a starting point. 02-996-6815, 081-803-3350

http://<iframe width="562" height="314" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=209346066472246759238.000472a990dfce6db8bfc&hl=en&ie=UTF8&t=h&layer=c&cbll=13.948224,100.619144&panoid=TZndE129Dkt34gsIwL9cCg&cbp=13,185.6,,0,-34.28&ll=-17.224758,100.546875&spn=93.805025,197.578125&z=2&source=embed&output=svembed"></iframe><br /><small>View <a href="https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=209346066472246759238.000472a990dfce6db8bfc&hl=en&ie=UTF8&t=h&layer=c&cbll=13.948224,100.619144&panoid=TZndE129Dkt34gsIwL9cCg&cbp=13,185.6,,0,-34.28&ll=-17.224758,100.546875&spn=93.805025,197.578125&z=2&source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">My Saved Places</a> in a larger map</small>

Edited by WarpSpeed

Anyone got any thoughts on these Audi A4s in the classifieds, going for less than 160,000? One a 2.4 and the other doesn't say so presumably a 1.8.

http://classifieds.thaivisa.com/automotives-vehicles/cars/audi-a4-1998-2-4v6-metallic-green-with-cream-leather-268944.html

http://classifieds.thaivisa.com/automotives-vehicles/cars/audi-a4-very-clean-a-t-drive-17inch-benz-amg-wheels-cheap-sale-268826.html

Edited by edwardandtubs

Both look good but without seeing, running & driving everything else is mere speculation..Not excited about the Merc rims though, kind a cheesy and those rims have to be one of the heaviest and ugliest rims ever made IMO. The other rims are far more appealing to me... Can't say I'm too excited about the white interior either.. Cars aren't for me in their current package offering.

Edited by WarpSpeed
  • Like 1

I love Audi's...if they run good,without hidden problems,go for it...great cars to drive,but beware,if you need to put money in to...can be expensive...well,still better than any 'tin-can' jap crap....IMO wink.png

The Audi 2.0Tfsi engine is known to consume engine oil at a rate of one litre per every few thousand kilometers. Some say it is due to the piston rings which is expensive to change and live with the frequent topping of engine oil. But in terms of car design and performance, i will pick Audi over VW and volvo. I drive a VW scirocco 2.0tsi by the way.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Edited by tua2kee

No pictures available? I would not assume the 2nd one is a 1.8, although sloppy of the owner not to mention it.

If you are interested, a buddy of mine is selling his A4 which he converted to 1.8T manual. Very nice ride, very direct steering. Torque comes on very smooth.

He's asking around 200k, but would need to check.

In BKK.

As far as I know, Volvos are assembled here in Thailand. So parts and service is mostly acceptable in terms of quality, price and speed. I once had a XC90 from the official Volvo dealer and good service.

VW has an official importer and several official dealers. I once had a GTi and good fast and reliable service.

And I do own now an AUDI S5. Before I had an AUDI A6. I love both cars, top quality, fast and fun to drive. The A6 came from the official importer and the service was slow, lousy and expensive. Fortunately the car never had a major problem. The S5 is a grey import. The service is excellent, expensive and parts take some time to arrive.

PM me for details and names of dealers I experienced.

No pictures available? I would not assume the 2nd one is a 1.8, although sloppy of the owner not to mention it.

If you are interested, a buddy of mine is selling his A4 which he converted to 1.8T manual. Very nice ride, very direct steering. Torque comes on very smooth.

In BKK.

Erm I saw pictures, that Audi sounds like a nice package, if I were buying a car in Thailand again I'd be considering that one myself.

In BKK.

You need to turn your ad blocker off to see the photos.

I agree with the comment about the Merc rims. Why anyone would put those on an Audi is beyond me.

Edited by edwardandtubs

As far as I know, Volvos are assembled here in Thailand. So parts and service is mostly acceptable in terms of quality, price and speed. I once had a XC90 from the official Volvo dealer and good service.

VW has an official importer and several official dealers. I once had a GTi and good fast and reliable service.

And I do own now an AUDI S5. Before I had an AUDI A6. I love both cars, top quality, fast and fun to drive. The A6 came from the official importer and the service was slow, lousy and expensive. Fortunately the car never had a major problem. The S5 is a grey import. The service is excellent, expensive and parts take some time to arrive.

PM me for details and names of dealers I experienced.

Volvo sold in Thailand is assembled in Malaysia.

In BKK.

The Audi A4 2.4 is now sold. The rims are Brabus and were on it when I bought it. The interior was cream not white!!

Edited by BKKMG

• 2 months later...

Ah yes. I was also attracted to Scirocco's looks and performance and handling when I bought the car. Over the last 3 years I have made several mods to enhance the driving experience. Think I will keep the car for a while more.

I drive a VW scirocco 2.0tsi by the way.

My favorite VW model in recent years and not available in the US. I have only seen one in Bangkok...a luxurious Black Oak.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Ah yes. I was also attracted to Scirocco's looks and performance and handling when I bought the car. Over the last 3 years I have made several mods to enhance the driving experience. Think I will keep the car for a while more.

I drive a VW scirocco 2.0tsi by the way.

My favorite VW model in recent years and not available in the US. I have only seen one in Bangkok...a luxurious Black Oak.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app