Attention Vegetarians/healthy Eaters

Maverick

I have lived in many Cities and Towns all over the world and, apart from The Philippines, Thailand is the worst for offering truly internationial vegetarian or non-meat alternatives. Where are some of the fantastic soya mock-meat products (in particular those supplied by Sanitarium in Australia) that make life so easy for vegetarians or those that wish to avoid meat products. I am not talking aboput the rubbish mock meat that the thais eat - I am talking about products that actually taste good such as NOT-BACON which I can get anywhere in Australia and New Zealand even in the sticks (and NZ being a nation of heaving carnivores!). Even in the 'western' supermarkets such as Villa these options are unavailable. Is it that most westerners here are less interested in healthy eating/vegetarian diets and a supply and demand issue or is it the overseas suppliers themselves who are too lazy to promote themselves to the country or the retailers here adopting a mai pen rai attitude. My guess is that the market just isn't here and its not worth the suppliers bothering but interested in contrary views. Those looking for a chance to bag vegetarians here dont bother - I have heard it all before. I am not a vegetarian just dont like meat much.

Ive been a devout vegetarian for 6 years now, and on my last trip i found it almost impossible to eat good food. This surprised me a lot because of my preconceptions about Buddhists being a mostly vege lot!

Maybe its an idea to anyone looking to set-up a restarant, a niche in the market. Would be great among the semi-hippie backpackers! :o

Actually there is a small growing number of good vegetarian restuarants developing here, and they do have the tasty meat alternatives. I myself have been a vegetarian for 15 years and I have been living in BKK for 3 years now. I have been overjoyed with these new places and heartily recommend them, here just a couple I know of, there are more:

Chennai Kitchen 48/6 Thanon Pan, Silom Road, Tel: 02 2384141, 02 2383174

Krua Than 299-301 New Fuji Hotel, Surawong, Tel: 233-4336

Vegetarian Cottage Soi Vibphavadi 16 Vibphavadi-Rangsit Rd., Tel: 275-4607

6th Floor, Isetan, World Trade Centre, Tel: 255-9569

Whole Earth 93/3 Soi Lang Suan, Phloenchit Road, Tel: 252-5574 ext. 4900

Govinda Vegetarian Restaurant, Plaza Village, Sukhumvit Soi 22, 02 633 4970

11:00am - 11:30pm

There are also ham and sausage alternatives you can pick up in Villa, but I agree, not very tasty at all!! I also buy the bags of dried TVP and flavour them myself. A timely task, but worth the effort. If anyone knows of any other good places I would like to hear about them.

Thanks filch for those will check them out. Tutiswarrior - lets say u drink beer but no Heinekein here or u eat meat but no sausages or meat pies............i just think its bizarre that in a mainly buddhist country which has a precept that no life should be taken that it isnt at the forefront of non-meat cuisine thats all. But am not surprised.

Are you all serious?? Thai vegetarian (Buddhist Vegan / Jay) food is awesome. 'Not Bacon'...? give me a break. Why would a vegetarian want something that still looks and tastes like a strip of flesh, AND is salty and greasy, and likely contains all kinds of chemicals, preservatives and so on?

Note that Buddisht vegan (Jay) food also specifies non-meat things that can't be used. No dairy products of course, but also for example no garlic or onions. And nothing made from processed wheat flower, so no breads & cakes! In this light it would not really surprise me if 'Not Bacon' would also be 'Not Jay'. ;-)

Learn to recognize the Buddist vegan signs. And at regular restaurants, learn to order things the vegetarian way.

I show you what the signs look like, it's not hard, it could be your first word you learn to read in Thai!

See: http://www.pbase.com/chanchao/food

(first 3 pics, second one is the Thai word 'Jay'.)

I was never a big fan of veggie food as it was invariably at some health-nut treehugger's place and it sucked. buckwheat in chunky bland sauce.. yuck.. But then I spend some time in a Thai forest temple. That was the best food I EVER had, vegetarian, vegan or otherwise!!!

Cheers,

Chanchao

I wrote this a couple of years ago:

Vegetarian Food in Thailand

Vegetarians have a few options:

* Seek out all vegetarian restaurants; look in guide books, tourist magazines or ask around.

* Find vegetarian dishes on the menu of ordinary restaurants.

* Make regular food stalls or small restaurants cook you up something vegetarian. These places are usually small, where the owner also prepares the food. They typically don’t have full menus (especially not in English) so this will require some interaction with the person making the food.

Vegetarian Restaurants

Vegetarian restaurants are often quite small, a slight step up from street vendors while still being very cheap; two dishes over rice cost around 20 baht, sometimes less. They are small informal restaurants, often with the Chinese character for vegetarian food in red on yellow, together with the Thai word 'jay'. I suggest you learn to read that one, it's only two characters in Thai: เจ. 'Jay' food means Buddhist vegetarian food which is a bit more strict than mainstream vegetarianism in the West. No eggs, no dairy products for starters. It's also WAY better and more interesting food than mainstream vegetarian (vegan) food in the West. Jay food is even a bit more strict than vegan food, as some ingredients of a vegetable nature are also not to be used, such as garlic and onions.

Chances are, if you see one red Chinese character on a yellow sign outside a small restaurant, then it's vegetarian and everything they sell is 100% without any animal produce. The Chinese character looks like this:

The Thai word for vegetarian restaurant is "raan ahaan jay", or "raan ahaan mangsawirat", where mangsawirat food gets closer to the Western definition of vegetarian food, so eggs and some other things can be used. 'Jay' restaurants vastly outnumber the mangsawirat ones, though the latter are often a bit bigger restaurants, the former mostly small eateries. ”Mangsawirat restaurant” in Thai: ร้านอาหารมังสวิรัติ

Bigger Restaurants

Most bigger restaurants will have menus in English, and often a section with vegetarian dishes. If the selection isn’t great you will have to get them to prepare you what you want. Proceed as described below for small restaurants and food stalls which often don’t have menus, or menus only in Thai language.

Food Stalls & Small Restaurants

So vegetarian restaurants would be the preferred choice. Unfortunately most of the jay restaurants close in the evening. So for street food, that leaves the ordinary 'cooked to order' food stalls, the ones displaying all ingredients in or around the cart. This works best if you speak some Thai, but even with basic language skills on your part or the vendor’s part you can get some very pleasing results.

First, establish that you're vegetarian. Then specify in detail what you do and don’t want him to use. But.. how strict do you want to be? What about soup or sauces made from broth made from meat or fish? What about the fermented fish sauce?

A few useful phrases:

phom kin jay khrap (I eat vegetarian) : ผมกินอาหารเจครับ

tham ahaan jay dai mai khrap (can you make vegetarian food?): ทำอาหารเจได้ไหมครับ?

phom kin khai dai! (I can eat eggs): ผมกินไข่ได้นะครับ mai sai nuea, mai sai moo, mai sai kai (don’t use beef, pork and chicken): ไม่ใส่เนื้อ ไม่ใส่หมู ไม่ใส่ไก่

mai sai nam plaa khrap (don't use fish sauce): ไม่ใส่น้ำปลาครับ chai nam see iw (use soy sauce instead.): ใช้น้ำซีอี๊วแทน

A lot depends on how clever you and the vendor are at communicating. If he just suggests fried rice with vegetables, or fried mixed vegetables then he/she obviously needs some in encouragement. So point at the tofu, point at the mushrooms. Point at weird stuff of an obvious veggie nature (bamboo shoots, the flower of the banana tree, seaweed (used mostly in the mild vegetable soup), interesting looking nut or bean like stuff, etc. etc. Anything to try to get him/her to make you some more interesting dishes. It's a learning experience, probably by the end of your stay you'll have no problem ordering excellent vegetarian food anywhere.

© Me. ;-)

At Siam Centre's food court on level 3 (or 4 ?) there is a vegetarian outlet which has a pretty extensive assortment of dishes that all look like the real Thai thing but do not include meat. I dont know how they do it but everything looks so real. For example, green curry chicken - they have a dish that looks and tastes exactly lik echicken but it is a substitute. There are all sort of choice to make. I am sure any vegetarian will not be dissapointed.

In Chiang Mai there used to be a vegan restaurant only open for lunch and dinner, but not late. All their stuff was made from totally vegan product and very tasty and very cheap. This place was on Moon Muang road near thapae gate. On the opposite side of the moat their was another vego restaurant only open until about 9pm. They had a sign saying please be dressed neatly. There was no alcohol either........was a bit like eating in Singapore ...... all those rules to follow hehe. Chian g mai also has a branch of Wholearth !!

Are you all serious?? Thai vegetarian (Buddhist Vegan / Jay) food is awesome. 'Not Bacon'...? give me a break. Why would a vegetarian want something that still looks and tastes like a strip of flesh, AND is salty and greasy, and likely contains all kinds of chemicals, preservatives and so on?

Chanchao - to paraphrase Jack Nicholson's character in 'As good as it gets' - you make me want to be a better vegetarian - however for now i still like to mix it up with some processed foods such as 'not Bacon' - yes it is salty but a) its not meat and :o it tastes great in bread with tomato sauce for breakfast All i want is some choice.

Having said the above your advice is much appreciated and i will get to work on it straightaway (the jay food).

I wrote this a couple of years ago:

Vegetarian Food in Thailand

<snip>

</snip>

© Me. ;-)

Many thanks for an excellent contribution, Chanchao.

Also, please remember that around the first 10 days of October every year is some kind of vegetarian festival where many, many food shops, stalls and restaurants display the little yellow flags to indicate they sell vegetarian food. Anyone know what is this festival called?

There is a wonderful vegan restaurant in the area behind the TG Head Office building on Vibhavadii Rangsit between Lad Phrao and Sutthisan. Not sure, maybe that is Soi 16 restaurant Khun Fitch reported. Very good food, all you can eat, 65 THB.

Cheers

Ahhh no Soi 16 is Chock Chai Ruam Mit but the restaurant above is in Soi 22. Turnleft at the first saphaan loi coming from central Lad Prao. Chock Chai has a vegetarian restaurant which is good too. Actually Chock Chai has great food at night all along.

> Also, please remember that around the first 10 days of October every year

> is some kind of vegetarian festival where many, many food shops, stalls and

> restaurants display the little yellow flags to indicate they sell vegetarian food. Anyone

> know what is this festival called?

Yes. ;-) It's called -wait for it-... The Vegetarian Festival. ;-)

Especially big (and weird) in the South. See:

http://www.thailandgrandfestival.com/festival.asp?festID=22

:-)

Cheers,

Chanchao

I think there is a real market for imported veggie burgers, veggie hot dogs etc. In the US now, even 'normal'  meat eaters are likely to have a few garden burgers in the freezer because they taste great and are healthy. Sunbelt, this is a job for you.

Chiang Mai Thai, another brilliant post. You have really become an asset to this board since you cleaned up, de-toxed, did some colonics and renounced your former life as 30 Day Walker!

Boy do I miss all those good tasting health food/vegetarian dishes that you are talking about. All the "veggie-burgers" that I try in Thailand, taste and have the consistency of warm peanut butter, bleck! They always suck. Even at Burger King.

At home they start with tofu, and it gives a taste and texture more like meat: i.e., good!

I don't much like Thai food to start with, and simply removing the meat is a step backwards tastewise, so I can't see myself going back to being a vegetarian or live food vegetarian, as I was at one time.

I feel that one could sustain a vegetarian diet in Thailand if one was to go to the market themselves at 4-5 am and find good vege offerings, find creative ways of producing vegetarian broth and generally speaking spend 10 out of how many available waking hours per day ensuring that no animal products passed my lips. I am squeamish about meat and only like lean fish, chicken and pork that I could easily do without. But I cannot do so without regular sex with my wife, excessive consumption of spirits and general discomfort and disruption to sleeping habits.

Thus...I view this discussion as an attempt by health fascists to deter degenerate middle aged falangs from their peace and quiet.

How about whole roast broiler chicken, squash garlic and insert in the cavities...can't be beat...

Marinated pork ribs at 60 baht per kilo...prepared at home in the oven...

Lovely roast pork loin prepared the belgian way smothered in dijon mustard before the oven with either cream or yogurt to the juices before serving...

all of which can be prepared in my sleep...not like falafels or aduki burgers...

forward...

Hey, all that stuff sounds better than any ahaan j I ever ate in Thailand!

Murder the beasts and slowly roast their fatty carcasses in B.B.Q. sauce.

Screw the tofu.

People Power!  :D

Ulysses - your innards must be groaning as another pigs foreskin wends its way to join all the other rotting meat - like a very very slow email attachment yr stomach will struggle to process the congealed mush. :o

I feel that one could sustain a vegetarian diet in Thailand if one was to go to the market themselves at 4-5 am and find good vege offerings, find creative ways of producing vegetarian broth and generally speaking spend 10 out of how many available waking hours per day ensuring that no animal products passed my lips. ....

Thus...I view this discussion as an attempt by health fascists to deter degenerate middle aged falangs from their peace and quiet.

So if I am looking for places where I could have a vegetarian meal I am a "health fascist" and spend most of my time preparing or worrying about food?

Are you drunk or just plainly ignorant and obnoxious? -both, my guess.

:o

natee...it is my right as a Nobel laureate and long time poster on this forum to be drunk, obnoxious and otherwise hostile to vegetarians. Vegetarianism means political correctness, then no smoking in bars or on the street...fighting in bars and wild polemic that may result in the expulsion of all foreigners from Thailand.

Hitler had a fifth column in the UK...same with vegetarians around the world...look what happened in California...

Wow,

I have been observing this thread for some time now and have refrained from getting involved but based on the last post I will chime in now for what it's worth.

I am a primary care physician in southern California. I have been strict Lacto vegetarian since 1974. Part of my reason for becoming vegetarian was the fact that I had enough blood in my face during my tour in Vietnam to last me a life time.

Simutaneously, I was introduced to Buddhist concepts that provided clarity and stability in a time when I really needed it. Buddhism is even a larger part of my life today.

Also most of the girls I was dating when I got discharged in San Francisco were vegetarians. At 21 years old I figured hey If I gonna get laid I'll try anything. It seemed like a good idea at the time. :o

Fortunately I am still vegetarian today.

Bottom line is that the research on the connection between meat eating and increased incidence of cardoivascular disease and certain cancers is now conclusive. Also the connection between meat eating. premature aging and dermatological health is now being researched with very interessting results.

The USDA, department of food and agriculture has come out definitively and stated that a wide variety of fruits, vegetables, whole grains some be consumed in 8 servings in the course of a day and comprise the majority of the diet.

In addition the impact on the environment to raise one pound of animal flesh as compared to one pound of grain is devestating the planet. The details are to long to go into. The fact is that raising live stock especialy in huge commercial operations is accelerating the destruction of what little top soil is left and the atmosphere as well.

You do like breathing, don't you?

I am far, far from a pacifist, even though I try to emulate the teachings of Lord Buddha. I have mellowed out quite a bit from my "younger" days. One more thing, not all vegetarians are twenty pound weaklings as you might assume.

Some can be quite strong and even have fun in a drunken bar room brawl with one of you characters.

Lastly, don't forget the strongest creatures in the animal kingdom are in fact vegetarians. I say live and let live but If you guys love meat that much I think you should double, no triple your daily intake to increase your pleasure to the fullest extent.

OK fire away boys. "maximum power to the shields"... :D

natee...it is my right as a Nobel laureate and long time poster on this forum to be drunk, obnoxious and otherwise hostile to vegetarians. Vegetarianism means political correctness, then no smoking in bars or on the street...fighting in bars and wild polemic that may result in the expulsion of all foreigners from Thailand.

Hitler had a fifth column in the UK...same with vegetarians around the world...look what happened in California...

Generally I like yr contributions Tutsi but as i said in my opener i hoped to avoid using this topic as an easy target to shoot down vegetarians it was never about that. You must have led a sheltered (or narrow) life - lots of vegetarians are smokers and drinkers (and presumably brawlers If they makes them more palatable to you!) and to introduce Hitler into it well it has to be a wind up but about as amusing as a morning spent at Singapores thai embassy.

Many famous vegetarians include I understand and to name a few - Bryan Adams, Albarn, Damon, Ament, Jeff Pearl Jam Bassist , Anderson, Brett, Vocalist of the British band Suede, Anderson, Jon , B52s (Kate Peirson, Cindy Wilson...) Beck Jeff, Bolan, Marc late singer for band T.Rex, Bolton, Michael, Campbell, Vivian Def Leppard, Carlisle, Belinda, Cobain, Kurt, singer/sonwriter from band "NIRVANA",

Nuff said?

I think this post has run its course.

Pepe (diminuitive for Jose?)...I hear you, and prefer the wholesome diet that you describe when I can find it. I don't like eating much meat and after some years in the Middle East prefer a bean and largely carbohydrate diet on offer there. In Abu Dhabi you can get what you want including pork but I was most happy with falafels, hummous, baba ganoush and arab bread than most other things...20 kinds of olives in the super and lovely local soft cheeses like labneh and etc. However in rural Thailand if you don't want to starve you got to eat what's on offer...salads?...ha!...they feed vegetables to pigs.

I left CA almost 20 years ago alternating between LA and the Bay Area. I never had much money as a student and stuffed my face with whatever was cheap and available...if some honey wanted to spend all afternoon over a veg lentil stew then I was cool. But I come from late 60s when it was not uncool to eat meat...that stuff came along with PC that not only fukced up my relationship with a woman at the time but has made my home state a laughing stock in the rest of the world. You don't know the control it took to not smash some sarcastic brit &lt;deleted&gt; in the face in the UK when the issue of non-smoking in public in CA came up some years ago.

I am embittered as I don't think that I can go back there to live...if I lit up a smoke on a street corner and someone said you can do that I would probably go mental on them. If you are a buddhist then cool...good for you to so indicate...but the religion here is not tibetan buddhism with its rigid strictures...the monks here drink alcohol and eat meat...something that you must get used to when you come out.

Yeah...everybody knows what it takes in terms of resources to produce a pound of beef...but if you have ever been in a third world country other than Brazil and argentina you will find that people survive on low intensity stuff like pigs, chicken and fish. You cant even find ground beef in the supermarket 35 km from where I live.

Enough...what choo got joselito?

maverick...dude, listen...I'm not wanting to put down no one for gratuitous reasons...just got an axe to grind with veges as I find that PC and the associated intellectual pollution is derived therefrom. Believe me...I would love a nice vegetarian source of supply after some months here in the thai hinterlands where I can't even look at what they got on offer without wanting to vomit.

As I was telling Pepe...I am an old school radical from the 60s...I still maintain the old values regarding truth and social justice. An engineer that I knew was killed in Nicaragua in a contra ambush and I dropped what I was doing to go and try and help. I necessarily became involved with the 'new style' PC kids that were running the show for internationalistas there. In horror when I ordered something with meat in some shit restaurant in Managua. I could never describe their faces when I showed up at a function with a local floozie on my arm. They knew that my intentions were solid but my methods?...well. Fact was that I am a US trained engineer and they couldn't touch that. So...I said goodbye to them and to the US and then saw PC take over the rational world...vegetarianism and all. And it all began in California...my home state. tears of rage...tears of grief...

But...yeah I like vegetarian food and I admit that you never stuck any political shht in my face like I am presently doing....just something festering inside that I haven't been able to exorcise.

With regard to the musicians that you mention I don't think that ZZ Top, Jackson Browne or any of the others recently inducted to the R&R Hall of Fame are veges...neither were Sam Cooke, Marvin Gaye, Beatles, Stones, Fred McDowell, Leadbelly or Robert Johnson. What about Elvis????

Let me be clear...I like eaters of tofu and their friends...regardless of their taste in music...

Pepe (diminuitive for Jose?)...

---Actually used in Italian also, my descent. My grand dad used to call me Pepino or Pepe' as a nick name meaning Joey. Pepe' is used in both Italian and Spanish. Talk about food, try being raised in an Italian family in New York! I don't think we missed anything.

I hear you, and prefer the wholesome diet that you describe when I can find it. I don't like eating much meat and after some years in the Middle East prefer a bean and largely carbohydrate diet on offer there. In Abu Dhabi you can get what you want including pork but I was most happy with falafels, hummous, baba ganoush and arab bread than most other things...20 kinds of olives in the super and lovely local soft cheeses like labneh and etc. However in rural Thailand if you don't want to starve you got to eat what's on offer...salads?...ha!...they feed vegetables to pigs.

---Yes I know and agree. A couple of years ago I got so frustrated trying to find food I liked around Samutsakorn, that was wholesome, I tried some of my wife's fish but couldn't handle more than a bite. So back to f####ing tofu. Believe me sometime it gets old but it is a way of life. I can usually find some thing to eat in a Chinese or Indian joint.

---I'm just against killing unless it's absolutely nescessary.

I left CA almost 20 years ago alternating between LA and the Bay Area. I never had much money as a student and stuffed my face with whatever was cheap and available...if some honey wanted to spend all afternoon over a veg lentil stew then I was cool.

---Yeah but desert was always the best part, yum!... :D

But I come from late 60s when it was not uncool to eat meat...that stuff came along with PC that not only fukced up my relationship with a woman at the time but has made my home state a laughing stock in the rest of the world.

---I've been in California for more than twenty years now. A couple years in the bay area in the earlty seventies, some of the happiest days of my life, a year in LA (the pits) and here in San Diego since 1985. Land of friuts and nuts absolutely

but boy are they still flocking in here br the droves. It's the weather period. Other wise in my opinion the golden state sucks.

You don't know the control it took to not smash some sarcastic brit &lt;deleted&gt; in the face in the UK when the issue of non-smoking in public in CA came up some years ago.

---Why do you take it personally? My stlyle would be to light up take a big drag smile and walk away. I was a smoker from age 13 to 20. Not reacting often is the best pay back to someone like you describe.

I am embittered as I don't think that I can go back there to live...if I lit up a smoke on a street corner and someone said you can do that I would probably go mental on them.

---You take it way to seriously. Here when people flip me the all to common bird on one of California's congested freeways I say thank you and laugh as I move away. It really drives some of them crazy.

If you are a buddhist then cool...good for you to so indicate...but the religion here is not tibetan buddhism with its rigid strictures...

---I am not Buddhist but do try to follow the tenents of that philosophy as well as my christian roots but I am far from a Holy roller. Having some rules and regulation in my life is probably the only reason I'm still alive at the ripe old age of 52. I was quite a ###### raiser in my youth.

the monks here drink alcohol and eat meat...something that you must get used to when you come out.

---Yes I know but this is not reccomended behaviour for buddhist monks according to any buddhist teachings, no matter whatrationalizations are offered. Again I just smile and don't judge. Read some of the works of Buddhasa Bikku he talks about these thing in great detail.

Yeah...everybody knows what it takes in terms of resources to produce a pound of beef...but if you have ever been in a third world country other than Brazil and argentina

---Actually I lived in Brazil for two years, those were the days... :o

you will find that people survive on low intensity stuff like pigs, chicken and fish. You cant even find ground beef in the supermarket 35 km from where I live.

---Maybe that's not a bad thing?

Enough...what choo got joselito?

---I know I'm 30 minutes fron TJ and have been refered to as Joselito by some of my Mexican novias in the past. I had a girlfriend from Vera Cruz one time. She used to call me Pepe'." God was she beautiful! :D Well that's a story for another day.

---Mexican food anyone?

With regard to the musicians that you mention I don't think that ZZ Top, Jackson Browne or any of the others recently inducted to the R&R Hall of Fame are veges...neither were Sam Cooke, Marvin Gaye, Beatles, Stones, Fred McDowell, Leadbelly or Robert Johnson. What about Elvis????

Let me be clear...I like eaters of tofu and their friends...regardless of their taste in music...

Prince just got into the R&R Hall of Fame and he's skinny enough to be a vegetarian - but most likely, it's the drugs...

Prince just got into the R&R Hall of Fame and he's skinny enough to be a vegetarian - but most likely, it's the drugs...

Of the Hall of Fame list I am not sure but Paul McCartney is probably a Vege - I suspect. And Elvis - i hear he has some new diet books out soon.

By the way not many people know that Carl Lewis was a vegetarian.