Wanted! Cheap Old Truck In Or Around Korat

Loz

Hi there!

Does anyone know of any old cheap trucks for sale?

I'm talking 20 yrs old or something, under 50,000 baht.

I've seen those little old Mazdas for 45,000bht and that is the sort of thing. If it had air con that would be a major plus, but my expectations are pretty low.

example:2250500_40_full.jpg

Any old truck that drives would be ok. just looking for a working ride, cosmetics are NOT the key here for me.

I'm sure I could hook you up with a little finders fee at the Pasinee Bar or Ginza, depending on how you like your reward... :o

Edited by Loz

Hi there!

I've seen those little old Mazdas for 45,000bht and that is the sort of thing. If it had air con that would be a major plus, but my expectations are pretty low.

Any old truck that drives would be ok. just looking for a working ride, cosmetics are NOT the key here for me.

I'm sure I could hook you up with a little finders fee at the Pasinee Bar or Ginza, depending on how you like your reward... :D

Hi Loz

Beware buying old vehicles in LOS not like back home where second hand cars are cheap & plentiful.

It really is a case of you get what you pay for! servicing is non existant unless you are fortunate to pick up (good pun huh) an ex farang job. MOT what MOT :o

Anyway ..good luck TBWG :D

Hi there!

I'm sure I could hook you up with a little finders fee at the Pasinee Bar or Ginza, depending on how you like your reward... :D

Hi Loz

Another thought... you should be looking in used motor section, of the Thailand motor forum here on Thai Visa

TBWG :o

Hi there!

I'm sure I could hook you up with a little finders fee at the Pasinee Bar or Ginza, depending on how you like your reward... :o

Hi Loz,

Glad to see you are settling in well here in Korat.

A word of advise (from someone that has lived here for over 12 years), if you buy an old bangar for less than Bht 50,000 you are buying nothing but trouble as you will be breaking down (maybe in the middle of a busy highway) quite alot as bangers at this price will be worn out and you will be either spending a fortune on repairs and tow trucks or you will scrap it eventually. Even cars priced at Bht 100,000 will not be much good but at least they will be younger so parts not so worn out. I think you should either look to pay for a half decent car that will last abit longer but will have to invest Bht 150,000 + or rent one.

Renting would be better for you I think and you can get a pick up for about Bht 10,000 per month, let me know if this is what you decide as I have pickupfor rent.

All the best on your adventures.

how much is your pick up for rent and what type and age is it please? Can you post or pm details (got a picture?) to me asap.

might be the sensible route. Although I am pretty handy with a took kit so might not have the same worries as some of you about it being a broken down old peice of excrement. Also, Maybe I enjoy running repairs on old easy to work on motors. Maybe I think of it as therapy? Meditation, if you will. In any event, thanks for the cautionar words. Now, on with the quest!

Cheers,

how much is your pick up for rent and what type and age is it please? Can you post or pm details (got a picture?) to me asap.

might be the sensible route. Although I am pretty handy with a took kit so might not have the same worries as some of you about it being a broken down old peice of excrement. Also, Maybe I enjoy running repairs on old easy to work on motors. Maybe I think of it as therapy? Meditation, if you will. In any event, thanks for the cautionar words. Now, on with the quest!

Cheers,

Hi Loz

Why not join the millions of motorcy riders, for 30,000 baht a new Honda and no worries :o

TBWG :D .

i think youd be ok if you could invest another 8000 baht to fix it up mechanically... i had the piston rings and 1 conrod fixed for a nissan sr20de engine (water damage) including new gaskets for around 6000-7000 baht, a new radiator will be about 3000 baht (used) and an alternator runs around 2000 baht installed, other than that labor is cheap in thailand...transmission will be the most expensive fix...along with driveshaft/differential...

Hi there!

I'd think 150,000 baht is about as low as you can go to get something halfway decent to drive. I got my Mitsu L200 Aerobody pickup about 4 years ago for 160,000, from a bro-in-law (cop). And that took some haggling really (he wanted 200,000 B-no way Jose). With a bit of work and baht it runs fine and has given me many miles of freedom trouble-free around the country, and gets great gas mileage as well with the 4cyl deisel. But, given the fact that many places in Isaan you are in the middle of nowhere really, you need something reliable. Sucks getting caught in the rain miles from anywhere in the middle of the night. Spend a bit more and get something newer and in good shape. You'll just end up spending the extra 100,000 baht in repairs easily buying a total clunker.

Cent

Okay, is there anyone out there will to accept that I know enough about trucks and engines and transmissions and drive trains and CV joints and wheel hubs and steering racks and PAS pumps and cam belts and cam shaft followers and head gaskets and crank barrings and piston rings and valve clearances and timing guides and ignition advance and retart settings and EFI systems and blocked injectors and sticking starter motors not to mention stripping and cleaning brakes, lubing axles, adjusting brake shoes, replacing pads and discs, that I would feel comfortable driving a wreck out of the scap yard if I could drive it for 20 mins and know if it was worth keeping. I know I'm in thailand, but I'm not a complete novice when it comes to car/truck ownership...

Thanks for your concern though.

Loz

Okay, is there anyone out there will to accept that I know enough about trucks and engines and transmissions and drive trains and CV joints and wheel hubs and steering racks and PAS pumps and cam belts and cam shaft followers and head gaskets and crank barrings and piston rings and valve clearances and timing guides and ignition advance and retart settings and EFI systems and blocked injectors and sticking starter motors not to mention stripping and cleaning brakes, lubing axles, adjusting brake shoes, replacing pads and discs, that I would feel comfortable driving a wreck out of the scap yard if I could drive it for 20 mins and know if it was worth keeping. I know I'm in thailand, but I'm not a complete novice when it comes to car/truck ownership...

Thanks for your concern though.

Loz

Loz:

You have me convinced but I am in Saudi and there ain't nothing here but brand new Mercedes. :o

Good luck in your quest and remember to carry some spare oil and water when you get your car. :D

So, does anyone know how to write:

I'd like to buy your car. Please text your asking price to [cell phone number] and when can I come look at it, please?

Okay, local contacts helped me find a truck.

Mitsubishi L200 2.5D Grey some rusted panels. chewed out seats ( need to put a blanket over them, but seems mechanically sound. will test drive tomorrow and all being well, I'll be the proud owner (although registered to a Thai friend) of my first Thai Truck!

The weekend is looking better and better!

Long Live the King!

Okay, the friend of a friend who found the above mentioned peice of shit came to pick us up in a honda accord. after 200 yards, sat in the back I pointed out the temp needle was in the red and did he know this? was the needle broken?? (he was a car dealer who was helping me get the best price......hmmmm) He nodded when my friend translated and then kept driving. then the engine starts cutting out at tickover... I point out that the temp is OFF THE ######ING SCALE and MIGHT have something to do with it... Still he continues... then as the car won't tick over at all and the ECU light comes on and the auto box selector light is flashing he stops and looks puzzled!!!!

I get them to open the hood and on checking the pipe off the rad I can tell there is NO coolant in the thing just gas. I check the remnants of the overflow and its just water NO COOLANT (taste test). I point out that depending on how long before I got in the temp had been that high there was a good chance the head gasket was blown and the head may well be warped. Imagine my poor friend trying to translate that the oil ways and water ways may have merged if the gasket has cracked and the water may have exited the block or be mixing with the oil. He struggled. cut a long story short, we hung around for ages while waiting to get picked up. they got 5 litres of water in the rad before driving it to a garage ( without running the engine to check for air pockets... ) so I don't hold out much hope. this was just the car to get me to my truck... Do I need to tell you how fcuked my truck was... ?

The quest continues... Thinking about renting from korat lover. just wanted something sooner than the end of the month..

Okay, the friend of a friend who found the above mentioned peice of shit came to pick us up in a honda accord. after 200 yards, sat in the back I pointed out the temp needle was in the red and did he know this? was the needle broken?? (he was a car dealer who was helping me get the best price......hmmmm) He nodded when my friend translated and then kept driving. then the engine starts cutting out at tickover... I point out that the temp is OFF THE ######ING SCALE and MIGHT have something to do with it... Still he continues... then as the car won't tick over at all and the ECU light comes on and the auto box selector light is flashing he stops and looks puzzled!!!!

I get them to open the hood and on checking the pipe off the rad I can tell there is NO coolant in the thing just gas. I check the remnants of the overflow and its just water NO COOLANT (taste test). I point out that depending on how long before I got in the temp had been that high there was a good chance the head gasket was blown and the head may well be warped. Imagine my poor friend trying to translate that the oil ways and water ways may have merged if the gasket has cracked and the water may have exited the block or be mixing with the oil. He struggled. cut a long story short, we hung around for ages while waiting to get picked up. they got 5 litres of water in the rad before driving it to a garage ( without running the engine to check for air pockets... ) so I don't hold out much hope. this was just the car to get me to my truck... Do I need to tell you how fcuked my truck was... ?

The quest continues... Thinking about renting from korat lover. just wanted something sooner than the end of the month..

Hey Loz

Wanna make me an offer? :o

TBWG

Hey Loz

Wanna make me an offer? :o

TBWG

Nice car TBWG, reminds me of the good ole days banger racing.

Loz, I did try to advise you that you aint gonna get much for Bht 50,000 in anycase the end of the month is getting nearer so if you want to rent you better let me know a week before the end of the month so that I can plan accordingly.

My Thai brother in law spent about six months looking for a pick up truck he could afford. He finally found one and since he doesn't know much about vehicles he asked me to take a look at it. During the test drive the biggest thing was that it had VERY little power. The clouds of blue smoke indicated at least to me that the engine was burning as much engine oil as diesel. I told him that I thought the old Mazda had a million kilometers on it. He ended up buying it because the price was cheap. 160,000 baht! :o

I told my wife that the next time I would save my time. For another 40 or 50,000 he could have at least had something dependable. If the body had been in good condition I could have overlooked the engine because they are actually pretty cheap to replace. It really belongs in the scrap yard. :D

Its funny, I saw a nice old paint faded 1979 Datsun Truck for 46k and it runs fine, body is faily solid but paint is for sh7t. WOuld have been okay bit nobody wanted to help me buy it. seems like there is a conspiracy to over pay for motors. shame.