Third grenade attack at Suthep's house

webfact

Third grenade attack at Suthep's house

3-26-2014-9-44-23-AM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Bangkok’s residence of People’s Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) secretary-general Suthep Thaugsuwan on Buddhamonthon Sai 2 came under M 79 grenade attack again for the third time in less than two months last night but nobody was injured.

The grenade landed 300 meters from the house and exploded.

Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) police arrived to inspect the scene last night but could not yet locate the spot where the grenade landed.

EOD chief Pol Col Kamthorn Oui-charoen believed the grenade might either fell into the irrigation canal which runs parallel to the backyard of the house or at bushes near the canal.

Investigation by Thammasala district police and EOD revealed that occupants inside the house heard a loud explosion at about 6.30 p.m. behind the house fence which is close to the canal.

Suthep was alerted of the grenade attack last night.

The house belonged to Mrs Srisakul Promphan, mother of Ekanat Promphan, a spokesman of the PDRC, and wife of Suthep Thaugsuban.

EOD police inspected the scene at Buddhamonthon again this morning to locate the spot where the grenade landed for clue.

They believed the grenade was fired from running vehicle on the Boromratchonee elevated road which is about 300 meters away from the house.

Metropolitan police are considering setting up road checkpoint in the vicinity as the attack on Suthep’s house was the third time in less than two months.

EOD police said it was the fourth grenade than landed at and near the house in less than two months.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/third-grenade-attack-sutheps-house/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-03-26

The grenade landed 300 meters from the house and exploded.

Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) police arrived to inspect the scene last night but could not yet locate the spot where the grenade landed.

Metropolitan police are considering setting up road checkpoint in the vicinity as the attack on Suthep’s house was the third time in less than two months.

EOD police said it was the fourth grenade than landed at and near the house in less than two months.

Huh...?

• Like 2

"The grenade landed 300 meters from the house and exploded. ... behind the house fence which is close to the canal"

doesn't matter the house, but the value of the land that large in that part of bangkok (some 30k b/talang wah) is huge, running into tens of millions. Where not so corrupted suthep got money for it? (I know, I know it's in his wife's name, but we all know about keeping property on somebodies name). And why not call the devise a "large firecracker" rather than a "grenade", if not remains of the explosive was found?

Edited by londonthai
  • Like 2

I have only ever thrown 1 grenade so am far from an expert, but surely missing by 300 meters is a skill in itself.

That is natural born red rouge ability. Have to be in hand to hand range to harm effectively- for instance, punching a monk- just not alone, but in a group (or herd should I say).

Not sure, as I have zero interest in politics of any kind from any nation. However, it seems just as likely to me it could just be another PR stunt as they all miss by a country mile. Either that or he came home drunk after a curry, let an extra loud 1 go in the garden, woke up the ever sleeping security guard who in turn reported his extra large bottom burp as a grenade to the police.

The BIB may be better checking his underpants for follow through, rather than the garden for holes in the ground........

Edited by JeremyBowskill

I have only ever thrown 1 grenade so am far from an expert, but surely missing by 300 meters is a skill in itself.

That is natural born red rouge ability. Have to be in hand to hand range to harm effectively- for instance, punching a monk- just not alone, but in a group (or herd should I say).

Not sure, as I have zero interest in politics of any kind from any nation. However, it seems just as likely to me it could just be another PR stunt as they all miss by a country mile. Either that or he came home drunk after a curry, let an extra loud 1 go in the garden, woke up the ever sleeping security guard who in turn reported his extra large bottom burp as a grenade to the police.

The BIB may be better checking his underpants for follow through, rather than the garden for holes in the ground........

You sound brilliant; thanks for the insight.

Won't ask you to spot the simplest patterns, like checkers or even a chess board.

• Like 1

You sound brilliant; thanks for the insight.

Won't ask you to spot the simplest patterns, like checkers or even a chess board.

My pleasure. Not that I actually give a toss, but how would you explain all grenades missing by a country mile? Doesn't seem to me hitting the house at least would be all that difficult to do, hardly a moving target is it.

Edited by JeremyBowskill

ok, I know there is no evidence.

But there is common sense.

Who else than the government side (government, PTP, "UDD", black men and their boss) can be the perpetrator?

The perpetrator could be one of Sutheps own men. Perhaps he had it done to make you think the REDS are after him. I mean everyone knows the REDS would love to see him dead. But really! 4(3)attacks on his house and everyone knows he is not sleeping there. And unless it was a firecracker there should be some sign or evidence i would think..

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Their considerations might take some time as there are many factors to consider, including whether Suthep's wife's house was indeed the target of the attacks and, if so, whether the motive was a business dispute, a dispute with a jealous or unpaid lover of Mr Suthep, Ms Srisukul or Mr Akanant, or something to do with politics.

I think what we have here is the usual botched news piece. It makes no sense.

If I may try to reconstruct it, the grenade landed behind a fence near the house, presumably launched from a distance of 300 meters, not that it exploded 300 meters away from the house.

I just checked the Bangkok Post and that's indeed what is reported there... Thai PBS The Broadcaster You Can Trust.... facepalm.gif

I said it before, and I will repeat it, Suthep is not a nice man who will turn the other cheek. Shortly after the last attack, a red leaders house was sprayed with automatic weapons fire. I'm not suggesting he did it....but I would stay away from his house.

Sethup I said it before, and I will repeat it, Suthep is not a nice man who will turn the other cheek.

Massive corruption charges against him in the Phuket land scandal way back, caused the Then government to fall, he was never taklken to task, and you all say Thaksin corrupt,

"As part of the Sor Por Kor 4-01 (สปก.4-01) land reform scheme, Suthep gave title deeds to 592 plots of land in Khao Sam Liam, Kamala and Nakkerd hills of Phuket province to 489 farmers. It was later found that members of 11 wealthy families in Phuket were among the recipients. Suthep addressed a huge crowd in his Surat Thani constituency a month before a no-confidence debate and called on his supporters to march on Bangkok in the hundreds of thousands to defend his reputation.[5] The scandal led Prime MinisterChuan Leekpai of the Democrat Party to dissolve the House of Representatives in July 1995 in order to avoid the no-confidence debate. What a guy to follow?

I said it before, and I will repeat it, Suthep is not a nice man who will turn the other cheek. Shortly after the last attack, a red leaders house was sprayed with automatic weapons fire. I'm not suggesting he did it....but I would stay away from his house.

was that the sprayed with 2 bullets incident?

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

"Another PR stunt"?

Many have claimed that the various attacks are PR stunts but that is mainly due to political myopia I suspect. Those that have landed where intended have left many dead and injured.

<deleted>,these grenade attackers need some training . . . it can't be that hard to get closer to your target, surely?

The person who threw it or fired it has probably just graduated from the Red Shirts Weapons & Thuggery Academy and is just getting some practice.

But it is ok for the other monk to beat up police for no reason, RIGHT????? You like having double standards dont you.

<deleted>,these grenade attackers need some training . . . it can't be that hard to get closer to your target, surely?

The person who threw it or fired it has probably just graduated from the Red Shirts Weapons & Thuggery Academy and is just getting some practice.

Do you know who is in the army???? It is people from the rural areas not from bkk and deffinitely not any yellow shirts. So the reds do know how to use them.

Do you know who is in the army???? It is people from the rural areas not from bkk and deffinitely not any yellow shirts. So the reds do know how to use them.

Getting a bit boring. Either the grenades don't explode or land 300 m away. The effective range of these grenades are about 500 m, so to miss with 300 m is either by design or it is a very badly trained or untrained person doing the shooting. But to have 3 attacks with no damage ????