Airlines demand crackdown on unruly passengers

webfact

Airlines demand crackdown on unruly passengers
Agence France-Presse
GENEVA

GENEVA: -- Global aviation body IATA on Tuesday demanded that governments close legal loopholes that allow unruly passengers to escape law enforcement for serious offences committed on board planes.

"Airlines are doing all they can to prevent and manage unruly passenger incidents, but this needs to be backed up with effective law enforcement," said Tony Tyler, head of the International Air Transport Association.

"Reports of unruly behaviour are on the rise."

The airlines’ call came on the eve of a meeting of the International Civil Aviation Organisation in Montreal, which aims to update the 1963 Tokyo Convention on passenger safety.

Proposed revisions to the treaty would make it easier for authorities to prosecute the small minority of passengers who are violent, disruptive, abusive, or act in a manner that might endanger safety, the IATA said.

"The Tokyo Convention was not originally designed to address unruly behaviour and there is a great deal of uncertainty amongst carriers as to what actions crew can take to manage incidents in the air," Tyler said in a statement.

"Passengers expect to enjoy their journey incident-free. And air crews have the right to perform their duties without harassment."

Under the current rules, jurisdiction over offences committed on board an aircraft is left to the country where the plane is registered.

But modern leasing arrangements mean that is not always the aircraft’s home base or destination, the IATA said.

The airline industry now wants jurisdiction to be extended to cover both where the plane has touched down and the operator’s home country to make it easier to stop troublemakers.

"If the aircraft lands in a state other than where the aircraft was registered, local authorities are not always able to prosecute," Tyler added.

"At the moment there are too many examples of people getting away with serious breaches of social norms that jeopardise the safety of flights because local law enforcement authorities do not have the power to take action."

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-03-26

• Like 2

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

after having to sit next to a guy who was essentially dressed for the beach; singlet, shorts and flip flops on a recent flight i think airlines should have a basic 'respect for other passengers' dress code. i really dont want to have all that naked male flesh sitting right next to me plus his horrible uncovered feet. yuk.

Oooooohhhh........all that horrible male flesh........yuk.

Wow! Is it really so outdated? 1963? The pre-terrorism era!

How about slipping a new paragraph somewhere saying:

" Any 'suspicious' event in the air must be immediately made public knowledge and help and co-operation of world countries members of IATA must be sought "

... Or something like this making flight disappearing less 'mysterious'.

It would also help to introduce definitions of 'suspicious' events including

- any inexplicable deviation from the flight plans;

- any inexplicable loss of communications with the flight;

... Very easy, simple and logical...

• Like 2

Here's one from yesterday --on a flight from Australia to New Zealand

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Drunk' Jetstar passenger claims to have AK-47 rifle on flight

Date March 25, 2014

A "disruptive" passenger on an international flight to Christchurch was met by police after lighting up a cigarette and claiming he had an AK-47 machine gun.

The passenger, believed to be an Australian in his 30s, was onboard Jetstar flight JQ171 arriving from Melbourne about 5am on Monday.

Another passenger, who did not want to named, said he was half-asleep when he noticed the man in the row in front of him had lit up a cigarette.

He said the man had definitely been drinking, and was verbally abusive toward the crew.

"He had had a guts full and just wanted to get off the plane," he said. "He was being fairly belligerent."

When the crew wanted to search his cabin baggage, the man told them there was an AK-47 in it.

The passenger said he believed the man was "just mouthing off" and there was no gun.

He said it appeared the man realised what a "stupid" comment it was to make as soon as he had said it when the crew became noticeably more nervous.

The passenger praised the crew for their handling of the situation.

A Jetstar spokesman said confirmed there was a "disruptive" passenger on board Jetstar flight JQ171 overnight Sunday from Melbourne to Christchurch.

He said the crew handled the incident on board.

Police met the passenger upon arrival in Christchurch, and the matter was now with police.

"Jetstar does not tolerate antisocial behaviour."

Fairfax NZ news/Stuff.co.nz

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-incidents/drunk-jetstar-passenger-claims-to-have-ak47-rifle-on-flight-from-melbourne-20140325-35f4c.html#ixzz2x32djsNX

Embarrassing, isn't it...

sorry but i wear a nice shirt, decent shorts and also flip flops. if the <deleted> in some airports did not demand you remove your shoes i would wear shoes

Don't be hard on the airline staff, they're only trying to do their job. We wouldn't have to take our shoes off for checking if fcukwits weren't trying to blow planes up now would we?

I don't believe any passengers have ever blown up an aircraft they were travelling on.

Most of the checks need to be done, groundside, and not on the passengers boarding the flight.

As far as I can see all the harassment of passengers is about power and control, nothing to do with passenger safety.

You don't want to fly with the riff-raff, buy yourself a business class ticket.

Maybe a little closer inspection of flight crew, they seem to be the ones usually involved with hijacking and smuggling.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

Many of these problem passengers are drunk before they board, but many airlines use local service providers (agents) to manage ticketing and boarding, who to put it bluntly, it is to much trouble for them to deny boarding as they will have the hassle of dealing with them.

sorry but i wear a nice shirt, decent shorts and also flip flops. if the <deleted> in some airports did not demand you remove your shoes i would wear shoes

Sorry but no excuse for Flip-flops and anyway, the business about shoe removal is for YOUR OWN SAFETY. If they stop just ONE SHOE BOMBER from boarding a flight, I hope it is MY Flight and I don't mind what they do to ensure my safety. If you must wear Flip-Flops, simply stay at home or go to the beach..... Hope you at least take the trouble to clean out the muck from under your toe nails.

Was there ever really a shoe-bomber?

I thought the guy they caught, playing with a lighter and his shoes was a harmless nutjob.

(And if groundside had done their job properly he wouldn't have had the lighter)

(Airport security wouldn't let him on the first plane, cos he was obviously a nutter, French police told them to let him fly)

Logically,

If people are worried about shoe-bombers (or other naughty stuff hidden by clothing), flip-flops, shorts and singlets would be mandatory on flights.

Not to mention, no bras, cos you could hide a lot of explosives in the padding.

Lets see anyone try to hide contraband when everyone is only allowed to wear g-strings and budgie smugglers.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

after having to sit next to a guy who was essentially dressed for the beach; singlet, shorts and flip flops on a recent flight i think airlines should have a basic 'respect for other passengers' dress code. i really dont want to have all that naked male flesh sitting right next to me plus his horrible uncovered feet. yuk.

For my first flight as an adult in the early 60s, I felt compelled to get my first suit. Amazing to think of it now.

• Like 1

Don't be hard on the airline staff, they're only trying to do their job. We wouldn't have to take our shoes off for checking if fcukwits weren't trying to blow planes up now would we?

I don't believe any passengers have ever blown up an aircraft they were travelling on.

Most of the checks need to be done, groundside, and not on the passengers boarding the flight.

As far as I can see all the harassment of passengers is about power and control, nothing to do with passenger safety.

You don't want to fly with the riff-raff, buy yourself a business class ticket.

Maybe a little closer inspection of flight crew, they seem to be the ones usually involved with hijacking and smuggling.

Checks are done groundside and not while boarding. The reason we have them is because planes were being blown up and hijacked. This is a very foolish response.

• Like 1

how unruly

Sorry but no excuse for Flip-flops and anyway, the business about shoe removal is for YOUR OWN SAFETY. If they stop just ONE SHOE BOMBER from boarding a flight, I hope it is MY Flight and I don't mind what they do to ensure my safety. If you must wear Flip-Flops, simply stay at home or go to the beach..... Hope you at least take the trouble to clean out the muck from under your toe nails.

What about socks and proper sandals? Does that satisfy your criteria of what's acceptable? I've only worn covered shoes in 20 years in Thailand maybe 3-4 times. My wedding, meeting a PM and one other important person. But always wear dress pants and dress shirts when out or at work (my wife spelled out that criteria after we got married. biggrin.png

. If there is an accident, do you want to run through Flaming Jet Fuel with Flip Flops....