Looking for some advice to lose around 60lbs

2008bangkok

Got a younger brother in Southern California who has always been kind of tubby even though he has been a veggie much of his life.

Married an Italian girl who is an awesome cook, ballooned up scarfing pasta and bread.

He lost 2.25 stone recently going to a gym called 3elements 5 days a week and yoga on the weekends.

The way I understand this gyms' concept is intense group classes that are based on calisthenics. Supposedly "cardio" is bad now

and weight machines are strictly verboten. Sounds kind of radical but the results are impressive. Saw him recently and was really shocked, six pack abs and all.

He is also VERY dedicated to diet, lots of veg and no sugar or starches at all. A little vino now and then. He does eat some meats and fish now. I think I'll start...tomorrow.

Edited by arunsakda

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got a younger brother in Southern California who has always been kind of tubby even though he has been a veggie much of his life.

Married an Italian girl who is an awesome cook, ballooned up scarfing pasta and bread.

He lost 2.25 stone recently going to a gym called 3elements 5 days a week and yoga on the weekends.

The way I understand this gyms' concept is intense group classes that are based on calisthenics. Supposedly "cardio" is bad now

and weight machines are strictly verboten. Sounds kind of radical but the results are impressive. Saw him recently and was really shocked, six pack abs and all.

He is also VERY dedicated to diet, lots of veg and no sugar or starches at all. A little vino now and then. He does eat some meats and fish now. I think I'll start...tomorrow.

Well cardio, Aerobic, weight machines, running, etc etc etc.

Sure some are better than others, but it doesn't matter that much what you do, important it that you do some exercises.

My weight has varied in a range of 30kg over my adult life (from 72 kg to 101 kg). Probably I carry a bit more muscle than I did in my 20s (now in my 60s) so I don't really want to go back to 72 kg again. Nor do I want to go above 90 kg. Too much pressure on joints.

I lost most weight when I first came to Thailand in 2010.

For a couple of months, I ate three or four serves of fruit for breakfast, a tuna sandwich for lunch, and more fruit for dinner. Lots of water, hardly any beer or soft drink. It certainly wasn't a recommended diet but one I just fell into - I could buy the fruit easily, and there was a cafe nearby that did a great tuna sandwich. Losing weight was effortless - maybe because I was living by myself, and didn't go out a lot initially.

When my weight got down to about 78 kg and my stomach had the vague shadow of a six-pack, I decided losing any more was probably too much, and my diet changed back to maintenance. Four years later, and I'm now around 87 kg, and I would like to be around 83 or 84kg.

Now, instead of counting calories, I try to eat at least 15 different unprocessed or minimally processed (e.g. steamed) foods a day - fruits, vegetables, salad vegetables, nuts. Counting serves of healthy foods (with the aim of making the magic number 15) makes it easier to stay away from unhealthy and highly processed foods - cakes, pastries, ice-cream, anything deep fried.

I've also noticed with seemingly innocuous foods, like bread and cereals, my weight goes up quickly, so it's a matter of not buying these foods, and not keeping them in the house.

Pushing weights in the gym helps keep my metabolism fast enough to burn off energy rather than store it, and I ride most places in my area on my bicycle, rather than taking my car or motorcycle. I swim 1000 metres most days I don't go to the gym. The dog appreciates a walk twice a day, too.

All that said, I'm not too fanatical. Especially, there's a social cost to being one-eyed about food intake (throwing people's hospitality back in their face is not a good practice). There's also a weight gain problem from accepting too readily everything I'm offered (there was a time in my life when I seemed to bloat out every time I walked into one particular airline club), so I guess it's a matter of balance - and it ain't easy, if you're offending your partner because you don't want to eat the noodles/rice/potatoes and deep fried chicken they've just cooked you. Success with losing weight (especially the food intake component) can be a difficult and ongoing negotiation with others in your life - so make sure the key people are on side. It's not just your habitual behaviour you're changing.

Edited by dundas
  • Like 1

Well cardio, Aerobic, weight machines, running, etc etc etc.

Sure some are better than others, but it doesn't matter that much what you do, important it that you do some exercises.

Agreed, so far i agree with most that has been said here. Exercise .. everyone likes something else the most effective exercise is the exercise you don't get bored from and can keep on doing. It might not go as fast as others but in the long run you will win.

Just a note from me for some it helps to restrict a bit extra at first and exercise more to kick start the whole process. Some like progress to go slow and with less effort others need a fast start to be motivated.

People have to know themselves to see what they need, for me I needed a fast kickstart and later it could slow down but if i started and progress was below half a kg a week.. id go crazy. Later on when nearing the end its good and even a kg a month is good then but at first there is a lot to loose and i want to loose it a bit faster.

• Like 1

My weight has varied in a range of 30kg over my adult life (from 72 kg to 101 kg). Probably I carry a bit more muscle than I did in my 20s (now in my 60s) so I don't really want to go back to 72 kg again. Nor do I want to go above 90 kg. Too much pressure on joints.

I lost most weight when I first came to Thailand in 2010.

For a couple of months, I ate three or four serves of fruit for breakfast, a tuna sandwich for lunch, and more fruit for dinner. Lots of water, hardly any beer or soft drink. It certainly wasn't a recommended diet but one I just fell into - I could buy the fruit easily, and there was a cafe nearby that did a great tuna sandwich. Losing weight was effortless - maybe because I was living by myself, and didn't go out a lot initially.

When my weight got down to about 78 kg and my stomach had the vague shadow of a six-pack, I decided losing any more was probably too much, and my diet changed back to maintenance. Four years later, and I'm now around 87 kg, and I would like to be around 83 or 84kg.

Now, instead of counting calories, I try to eat at least 15 different unprocessed or minimally processed (e.g. steamed) foods a day - fruits, vegetables, salad vegetables, nuts. Counting serves of healthy foods (with the aim of making the magic number 15) makes it easier to stay away from unhealthy and highly processed foods - cakes, pastries, ice-cream, anything deep fried.

I've also noticed with seemingly innocuous foods, like bread and cereals, my weight goes up quickly, so it's a matter of not buying these foods, and not keeping them in the house.

Pushing weights in the gym helps keep my metabolism fast enough to burn off energy rather than store it, and I ride most places in my area on my bicycle, rather than taking my car or motorcycle. I swim 1000 metres most days I don't go to the gym. The dog appreciates a walk twice a day, too.

All that said, I'm not too fanatical. Especially, there's a social cost to being one-eyed about food intake (throwing people's hospitality back in their face is not a good practice). There's also a weight gain problem from accepting too readily everything I'm offered (there was a time in my life when I seemed to bloat out every time I walked into one particular airline club), so I guess it's a matter of balance - and it ain't easy, if you're offending your partner because you don't want to eat the noodles/rice/potatoes and deep fried chicken they've just cooked you. Success with losing weight (especially the food intake component) can be a difficult and ongoing negotiation with others in your life - so make sure the key people are on side. It's not just your habitual behaviour you're changing.

Great post. Thing is we all need to find what works for us.

But the remark about not having the bad foods in your house is one i live by. If i got it I eat it.. if I don't I don't.

I also workout a lot and recently seen that even though i messed up (drinking and eating bad for 3 weeks) i did not gain weight. But now i got stuff sorted again as it was a temporary slip. I believe once you lost the weight and stay on the new weight for a long time (been there now for over 2 years) its easier to keep it off and even the occasional bad period wont put it straight on.

But when i was loosing weight i was quite strict and fanatical.

• Like 1

Stopping smoking & gaining weight is one of those psychological myths. More likely, you hit a point in life where your metabolism, said "Okay, that's it, I'm done!". Other reason could be the the amount of the chemically infested Thailand manufactured beers/spirits have altered you physiologically & while your metabolism continues in the rest of your body, in the mid-region it's a solo parking lot for whatever build up.

I'm 6'4", my mid section metabolism gave out at age 45 after living/consuming in Thailand for 2 years & of which makes me the only one in my entire bloodline between two different cultures to ever gain weight around the mid-section & not anywhere else. Thailand puts in the foods & beverages chemical or what have you, but most banned in western countries due to being a risk to your health (and which are supported by corporations all over the world who are sick of sacrificing profits over health or low quality).

At less than 6'4" with full muscle condensity or a little over weight, but healthy, you should be between 190-210 lbs.

From what I've read on this forum, most of these guys are clowns, the others swear by books (nonsense) & more swear by their own discoveries. There're somewhat many good but pick their fields of expertise or battles but then again some just like/love to hear themselves talk, something a bit wym-sical.

I do what works for me. And it doesn't matter what background someone claims to have. Also find professional nutritionists to be a waste of money & time. Get a Heath/Exercise Trainer specifically with a proven Physical Therapy background, or do your own research. Stick to the diet & exercise routine. Cook/make your own food or if you have a wife, teach her. Yoga is good too, but as an addition not replacement. Avoid certain Fatty foreigner foods - All English, Italian, all European with exception of Spain-Spanish foods; no junk food, dairy products, beans (soy included), nuts, gluten, but only small servings of bread, fresh juicing often; protein powders & supplements with heavy carb & meat diets only with medium to heavy toning/cardio &/or muscle building routines (consistently 2 hours a day & better in the AM, 4-6 days a week). Also, with routine excercises, NO caffeine, cigarettes (you got that already), alcohol or sweets with exception to the "naturals" such as fruit.

Unfortunately with the import taxes & horrible sanitation laws you're in one of the worst countries for a healthy diet.

Now I'm giving my opinion based on my past but as I said, like the rest of the TV members, believe what you believe to be true for you not what someone says is the best way per self or friends. Also the diet publishers, low carb or whatever are quick rich schemes & care only...or can careless whether you die or not as long as you buy their books.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

@oz893,

Nicotine and a higher MRB is certainly not a myth.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2773833

3% to 6% might not look like a lot but over a long period it does add on.

As for you cook your own food.. I am a firm believer in that i cook most of my own food and control what is going in. Much better as relying on others.

Most here all say cook for yourself eat your veggies your whole foods and as less processed crap as possible. For most this means a life style change, the OP is eating and drinking a lot of bad stuff (beers and his potatoes and gravy) and that is holding him back.

But everyone needs to find what suits them some like those fad diets that you (and I) think are crazy but it gives them guidance and for a while it works. Maybe just enough to kick start it and get the motivation going for more.

• Like 1

cucumber ...

if you snack on cucumbers it helps take away food craving and gives you the sensation of being full the cucumber is a vegetable that is a part of the same family as the zucchini pumpkin and squash about 90 percent of the cucumber is water it is low in calories yet contains essential nutrients that you can fill up on at the dinner table as well as in between meals as a result, the cucumber helps to promote weight loss which in turn can help you to prevent many other diseases Cucumbers contain silicon and sulphur which help to stimulate the kidneys to cleanse the body from the accumulated uric acid which is often the result of being overweight the kidneys also aid in breaking down fat cells to be removed from the body

@oz893,

As for you cook your own food.. I am a firm believer in that i cook most of my own food and control what is going in. Much better as relying on others.

Most here all say cook for yourself eat your veggies your whole foods and as less processed crap as possible. For most this means a life style change, the OP is eating and drinking a lot of bad stuff (beers and his potatoes and gravy) and that is holding him back.

But everyone needs to find what suits them some like those fad diets that you (and I) think are crazy but it gives them guidance and for a while it works. Maybe just enough to kick start it and get the motivation going for more.

Studies are absolute rubbish, created papers to justify thus education requirements. Some or the worst academics have to rely on education or worse, WIKI as a source or justification.

Nicotine effects are only on some but most its all psychological.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

@oz893,

Studies are absolute rubbish, created papers to justify thus education requirements. Some or the worst academics have to rely on education or worse, WIKI as a source or justification.

Yawn,

Sorry.. this has been proven bij multiple studies. I can agree if there are conflicting studies but this is something they are in agreement about. I did not use WIKI i used real research papers.

• Like 1

@oz893,

Yawn,

Sorry.. this has been proven bij multiple studies. I can agree if there are conflicting studies but this is something they are in agreement about. I did not use WIKI i used real research papers.

Research papers are studies...giving your life over to yes...yawn...academics. By your you won't budge. But in overall, the best plans are created from the most exclusive from corporate or the most individual of designs, just need to understand your build from early to old & apply the knowledge if any.

@oz893,

Yawn,

Research papers are studies...giving your life over to yes...yawn...academics. By your you won't budge. But in overall, the best plans are created from the most exclusive from corporate or the most individual of designs, just need to understand your build from early to old & apply the knowledge if any.

Lots can be learned from research discarding it like you do is foolish. When you get older you need to get smarter, train smarter eat smarter based on research. I prefer things that are build around test and research. Discarding that kind of knowledge is usually something someone with a lower IQ does.

Of course you need to find out if there are conflicting views and see if they agree on stuff, most agree that your MBR goes faster when you use nicotine. That does not mean its good for you but it shows there is an effect so you need to eat just a little less to compensate.

It does not help that many smokers when stopping smoking start snacking more too.

I understand perfectly how my body and body type works from experience and reading research and sweating in my gym. But I have found for me that eating the right foods and limiting foods has more influence as hard working in the gym. When i workout i workout hard but its easier to eat 500 cals less then to burn 500 cals each and every day.

• Like 1

@oz893,

Yawn,

Lots can be learned from research discarding it like you do is foolish. When you get older you need to get smarter, train smarter eat smarter based on research. I prefer things that are build around test and research. Discarding that kind of knowledge is usually something someone with a lower IQ does.

Of course you need to find out if there are conflicting views and see if they agree on stuff, most agree that your MBR goes faster when you use nicotine. That does not mean its good for you but it shows there is an effect so you need to eat just a little less to compensate.

It does not help that many smokers when stopping smoking start snacking more too.

I understand perfectly how my body and body type works from experience and reading research and sweating in my gym. But I have found for me that eating the right foods and limiting foods has more influence as hard working in the gym. When i workout i workout hard but its easier to eat 500 cals less then to burn 500 cals each and every day.

Yes, you just reworded it...exact. You & Wym should get together.

@oz893

I stand with what i said.. studies are useful and data from there shows that nicotine increases your basal metabolic rate. Plenty of evidence on that you ignoring that is stupid especially because you don't even back your claims up.

I think we are done discussing as its hard to discuss stuff with people who wont acknowledge research as a valid source of knowledge.

@oz893

I stand with what i said.. studies are useful and data from there shows that nicotine increases your basal metabolic rate. Plenty of evidence on that you ignoring that is stupid especially because you don't even back your claims up.

I think we are done discussing as its hard to discuss stuff with people who wont acknowledge research as a valid source of knowledge.

Right. I don't acknowledge research as it is based on a selective group. Everyone is different & why the diet people make so much money off books that help on one.

@oz893

Right. I don't acknowledge research as it is based on a selective group. Everyone is different & why the diet people make so much money off books that help on one.

That is...Books help, NO ONE.

Liposis is your best bet. Dr. Atkin's low carb diet. <30 grams of carbs a day. Can you handle that for a few months?

Add exercise and try protein drinks. I like Ultimate Nutrition's Iso ... 93 and found 5 lbs in Thailand @ 2,9xx Baht.

Hit the gym and stay away from candy, ice cream and all the other stuff you would be eating all day long.

I have shed some 13 kg, but not only fat, I'm afraid.

I thought it was great accomplishment when I lost a bit over 20 kg.

Then in my local Melbourne newspaper I just read about a man who has lost 103 kg (around 225lb) in 13 months.

"The journey required a diet and exercise overhaul that included quitting sugar and replacing meals of chips (french fries) and burgers with lean protein and vegetables. He also does one-hour cardio workouts (with a personal trainer) four times a week ...."

He's still aiming at losing another 30 kg before he's satisfied.

I have the same problem as you except i hate to exersise, but saying that i have lost weight simply by eating protein fruit and vegetables and basically halving everything i eat, i've lost 5 kg and counting, another way is to go to Yanhee Hospital in bagkok, they have a desk for us falangs, they will take you by the hand and help you to go to the weight loss section, get some pills to take before lunch and before sleep, costs 700 baht for a months worth and i think it works, you have to start somewhere.

Intermittent Fasting worked well for me. There are several methods - Eat Stop Eat, Leangains, the 5/2 diet, etc - 5/2 might be the easiest to stick to.

Remove snacking and empty calories like soda, beer, juices, deserts. Make sure you're not eating just because your bored.

Caffeine helps some people control appetite and increase metabolism.

Eat some seaweed for thyroid health. Even Tao Kae Noi is better than nothing.

Avoid refined foods and stick to stuff that still looks like what it originally was - whole fruits and veggies, and meat if you eat it.

Some people think that avoiding grains and nuts is a good idea - it couldn't hurt to restrict your calories from these sources.

Exercise is the other component. I've learned that duration trumps intensity - go for long walks rather than intense sprints. However, some people swear by HIIT. I'd also throw in a weight lifting regimen or some bodyweight exercises.

If you're still not losing weight, you need to start counting your calories, as this is the most serious way to control your weight. There are many calorie counting apps out there to help you.

All diets and such are all crap, don't even start.

Low carbs/High carbs, just eat health, which means no deep-fried (too much)

What you need to do is change your live-style/way how you do things daily.

Start the day with some basic, in home, exercise for 30 min. (treadmill or whatever)

Have a good nice breakfast (not English/American style), just brown bread, toast, ham/cheese, fruits, normal non baked/fried things.

Take fruits/salad to works as snacks and lunch, even a Thai fried rice won't hurt.

After work exercise some more, have some more snacks/fruits.

Have dinner around 8pm (20.00 o' clock), this avoids snacking in the evening.

Having about 5-6 small meals/snacks a day helps keep your digestive system busy all day, which is good.

Drinks lots of water or ice tea (sugar free).

Avoid any sugar drinks, like coffee/tea, cola and such. Diet coke is an option, but not recommended, since it "seems" to avoid weight-loss (chemicals or something)

So just live you life, but make some basic adjustments. Slowly you will loose weight, better to have 2-3 kg a month then 10 kg.

Edited by ronthai

I spent 30 years in the fitness business, a stroke put paid to that career 8 years ago. That said, the Doc assured me that my exercise history is the reason I'm still here. Inactivity afterwards and having to adjust to the damage done saw me pile on 30kgs in rapid time.

No longer able to run 100kms a week and do the other physical activities to keep me in reasonable shape, I eventually decided the eat little but often approach, combined with drinking much more water. I eat small portions at 7am, 10am, midday, 3pm and 6.30pm and not the tasteless green stuff either, basically whatever takes my fancy. I also drink around 3 litres of water a day and other fluids, tea, coffee, flvoured juice, the downside being I have to be within striking distance of a bathroom, but we can't have it all ways. The 30kgs came off in around 3 months and my weight has been stable ever since.

It may not work for you but nothing ventured..... Good luck if you go this road.

I have currently lost 3 stone.

have been eating:

breakfast - homemade spicy cabbage and veg soup

lunch - piece of meat with as much salad or veg as i want

dinner - something light and low in calories beans on toast etc.

snacks - fruit occasional pck of crisps

drinks - tea, coffee, water

also started jogging every over day.

key is to keep calories intake lower, i am eating approx 1700 per day through good food.

good luck.

Bariatric surgery... and you're skinny for life....

That is actually a myth.

It's a helpful drastic option for some very obese people (long term success rates well over 50 percent compared to LONG TERM dieting success rates well under 5 percent), but does not have a 100 percent success rate, and the end result for a large percentage of patients is continuing to be obese, but LESS obese, and that is considered a successful outcome.

• Like 1

Cheers all for the advice, i would definately say I eat not good food but i have been trying to eat chicken veggies but like i said i kind of lost motivation but want to get back to it.

Befofre i was eating a fruit shake for breakfast which consisted of

apples , oranges, coconut, melon, bannana, water about 4 servings

dinner was salad, egg, chicken or tuna with some mayo to relieve the boredom

Tea

stir fried chicken - vegetables bit or rice fired egg

Mabe a small bag of crisps

Weekend pork chops, mash gravy etc few beers all weekend

maybe 12 big changs

That honest

Well, I guess I can take a rough stab at this.

Maybe others can as well.

I think almost all of us agree on at least RESTRICTING carb intact, how much, is just a matter of degree.

I think increasing VEGETABLE intake is very important. Fresh fruits are good as well, but more limited due to sugar.

Fruit breakfast ... sounds OK ... no more than one banana a day and better a small one ... not sure what you mean by coconut (water, milk, grated, oil)? Too much of the wrong kind of coconut could be an issue. BTW, many people giving weight loss advice would say don't eat any bananas. I don't agree because bananas even though high sugar provide fantastic NUTRITION.

Dinner salad. Sorry, you need to for the most part forget about mayo. Low fat mayo tastes disgusting also. Easy substute -- extra virgin OLIVE OIL, you can make a delicious vinaigrette with mustard, garlic, and chilies or whatever you like.

Stir fried chicken? Cooked yourself or restaurant? Deep fried chicken or slice? Many cheap Thai restaurants use processed chicken slices. You want to avoid all PROCESSED foods. Lots of Thai street food uses processed foods such as in fish balls (filled with SUGAR). If cooking yourself you can choose better oil and limit the amount. At a restaurant likely using a lot of palm oil, not good.

Crisps?!? No. Sorry. You should ELIMINATE those totally from your food intake for life. What substitutes for crisps? I'm not sure. Maybe someone has an idea.

Pork chops? OK in moderation, grilled? Deep fried? Mash has lots of butter and salt. Not good. You can get potatoes other ways ... boiled ... yes boring, sorry, but you can at least season them.

In general for a health promoting diet, for proteins you want to limit RED meat. Think more about meat like skinless chicken breasts, fish, seafood, etc.

You can eat eggs. Just don't fry them in a ton of fat.

While we're on fat, the current thinking is sugar is a bigger danger than fat. You don't have to cut out all or most fat. You do need to be smarter about the kinds of fats you use and also of course within reasonable portions.

Beer? That's a big problem.

Mostly people looking for weight loss cut out alcohol entirely. Empty calories. Personally, I believe very moderate alcohol is health promoting. So I drink ONE drink a day, mean ONE light beer or one standard shot of booze such as vodka or good tequila. Yes I have been losing weight doing this ... but very SLOWLY.

Binging on weekend beer. Sorry. No. You can't do that and meet your health goals.

Notice my philosophy is to look at LIFETIME changes ... not temporary "on a diet" changes. I very much believe in this. I know some of these will be hard. For you, it sounds like the BEER and the CRISPS will be a challenge.

Also, you might want to look at my thread on GARCINIA CAMBOGIA. It works really really well for some people, not all people ... and the cost is very low in Thailand. But if it works, it is not a magic pill giving license to pig out, basically it HELPS make it much easier to keep with health promoting food choices (and smaller portions). Do you have CRAVINGS for crisps? If so, this might be a way to basically kill those cravings and it just might shock you that you will then be craving BROCCOLI!

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/621312-garcinia-cambogia-in-my-experience-this-stuff-really-works/

I am agreeing everything, just I want to add a few things in color

Well, I guess I can take a rough stab at this.

Maybe others can as well.

I think almost all of us agree on at least RESTRICTING carb intact, how much, is just a matter of degree.

I think increasing VEGETABLE intake is very important. Fresh fruits are good as well, but more limited due to sugar.

if you reduce food and even more if you go on low carbs, you are at risk to get congested...there is nothing inside you to move on, so vegetables are extreme important.

Fruit breakfast ... sounds OK ... no more than one banana a day and better a small one ... not sure what you mean by coconut (water, milk, grated, oil)? Too much of the wrong kind of coconut could be an issue. BTW, many people giving weight loss advice would say don't eat any bananas. I don't agree because bananas even though high sugar provide fantastic NUTRITION.

Dinner salad. Sorry, you need to for the most part forget about mayo. Low fat mayo tastes disgusting also. Easy substute -- extra virgin OLIVE OIL, you can make a delicious vinaigrette with mustard, garlic, and chilies or whatever you like.

Some also like yoghurt on the salad...for me it sounds a bit strange but maybe an option. Some have problems when eating salad before going sleeping. You may keep a few hours between eating and sleeping.

Stir fried chicken? Cooked yourself or restaurant? Deep fried chicken or slice? Many cheap Thai restaurants use processed chicken slices. You want to avoid all PROCESSED foods. Lots of Thai street food uses processed foods such as in fish balls (filled with SUGAR). If cooking yourself you can choose better oil and limit the amount. At a restaurant likely using a lot of palm oil, not good.

fried chicken soaked in palm oil is pretty bad.....chicken without oil in the teflon pan is good....best would be natural chicken but I never found it.

Crisps?!? No. Sorry. You should ELIMINATE those totally from your food intake for life. What substitutes for crisps? I'm not sure. Maybe someone has an idea.

No idea....I liked to eat these German salted cucumber for fun....a lot salt but no (never checked, just a guess) calorie. But hardly a replacement

Pork chops? OK in moderation, grilled? Deep fried? Mash has lots of butter and salt. Not good. You can get potatoes other ways ... boiled ... yes boring, sorry, but you can at least season them.

If on "no" low carb, you can eat grilled pork chops as much as you want. Deep fried or with butter should be still avoided. But than potatoes is something you shouldn't even think for.

In general for a health promoting diet, for proteins you want to limit RED meat. Think more about meat like skinless chicken breasts, fish, seafood, etc.

If you want to exercise and build some muscle at the same time, best would be lean steak, chicken of course just in Thailand it is hard to get good quality.fish can be very fat. but often the fat is a good fat.

You can eat eggs. Just don't fry them in a ton of fat.

the normal boiled hard egg is great replacement for many stupid food when you get an urge to eat. Some eggs taste very bad in Thailand, Feed with too much fish, but there are 2 organic brands which are good.

While we're on fat, the current thinking is sugar is a bigger danger than fat. You don't have to cut out all or most fat. You do need to be smarter about the kinds of fats you use and also of course within reasonable portions.

yes absolute no sugar....

Beer? That's a big problem.

in Germany there was some discussion about diets which replace the dinner with vodka. While I didn't make up my mind I can say: it would be very hard.

Mostly people looking for weight loss cut out alcohol entirely. Empty calories.

Yes Yes and Yes

Personally, I believe very moderate alcohol is health promoting. So I drink ONE drink a day, mean ONE light beer or one standard shot of booze such as vodka or good tequila. Yes I have been losing weight doing this ... but very SLOWLY.

Alternative maybe to have 1 day per week where you drink but keep the rest of the time dry.

Binging on weekend beer. Sorry. No. You can't do that and meet your health goals.

Notice my philosophy is to look at LIFETIME changes ... not temporary "on a diet" changes. I very much believe in this. I know some of these will be hard. For you, it sounds like the BEER and the CRISPS will be a challenge.

yes, it is easy to diet away some weight, but usually after loosing 20 kg people gain 30 kg......If you don't think you can continue for ever don't even start.

Also, you might want to look at my thread on GARCINIA CAMBOGIA. It works really really well for some people, not all people ... and the cost is very low in Thailand. But if it works, it is not a magic pill giving license to pig out, basically it HELPS make it much easier to keep with health promoting food choices (and smaller portions). Do you have CRAVINGS for crisps? If so, this might be a way to basically kill those cravings and it just might shock you that you will then be craving BROCCOLI!

Agree. Can also try smaller meals on a more regular basis, instead of becoming too hunger and then over eating. I also believe to make dent in losing the lb's more exercise would be needed. At 30 minutes a day weight loss would be slow. An early morning exercise of 30 minutes will increase the metabolism (30 minute stiff walk) followed with the afternoon bike ride. The OP can do strength exercises to build muscle in between. Also would like the OP to go and see a good doc for a checkup before starting.