Looking for some advice to lose around 60lbs

2008bangkok

I have never been fat so maybe my advise is meaningless. But having said that there is the fact that I have never been fat so I must be doing something right.... Maybe ???

I eat three normal meals a day and no snacks. I fill my plate once and don't go back for seconds. I don't drink soft drinks and limit how much beer I consume. I try to walk when ever I can and go for a real workout at the gym 3 or 4 times a week for 20 minutes of light exercise. If I see my 6 pack turning into a one pack I spend some time working on that part of my body. A positive self image helps and pushes me to maintain my weight and shape. Much of your weight is perhaps water. Cut out putting salt on your food and drink coffee or tea. This will help in reducing your water retention.

Eat anything and everything but not too much of it. Get up from the table knowing you could eat a lot more if you wanted. Carbs are not your friend and should be limited.

That's my advise for what it's worth. Good luck !

• Like 1

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have never been fat so maybe my advise is meaningless. But having said that there is the fact that I have never been fat so I must be doing something right.... Maybe ???

I eat three normal meals a day and no snacks. I fill my plate once and don't go back for seconds. I don't drink soft drinks and limit how much beer I consume. I try to walk when ever I can and go for a real workout at the gym 3 or 4 times a week for 20 minutes of light exercise. If I see my 6 pack turning into a one pack I spend some time working on that part of my body. A positive self image helps and pushes me to maintain my weight and shape. Much of your weight is perhaps water. Cut out putting salt on your food and drink coffee or tea. This will help in reducing your water retention.

Eat anything and everything but not too much of it. Get up from the table knowing you could eat a lot more if you wanted. Carbs are not your friend and should be limited.

A 6 pack LOL, can't be old then? Lucky you (wanna swap?)

It is easier when you are young, I know I was that once LOL.

The problem starts with food and drink manufacturers.

They chemically engineer their products to be addictive.

They add just the right combinations of salts, sugars and spices to make them irresistible.

Check out Oriels.

You unwittingly consume more sugars than you realise and they are addictive.

Like other addictive chems, your body turns down it's sensitivity to the chems so you need more for the same effect. A nasty cycle of increased calorie consumption.

Glucose is OK though, every cell in your body can use it as an energy source.

Fructose is not the same, it can only be processed by the liver.

Table sugar is 50/50 glucose/fructose so 50% of it has to be processes by your liver!

Statistics are now showing liver sclerosis in people who consume a lot of fructose but no alcohol!

You age, become more affluent, have cash for transport, get lazy and on go the pounds, from the age of 30, a British Post Office study showed that males gained 0.8Kg per annum. Not too much, a bit more than a pound a year but over ten years?, then 20 and 30 and so on. Thus a 60 year old should have gained over a stone every 10 years from his 30th birthday or in Kg a gain of 24Kg, sound about right? Since the study is very old and lifestyles have relaxed even more, I would guess that general weight gain has increased but I have no data to prove that, just sayin.

For ladies, even worse at menopause, their bodies need to carry more fat to store their essential hormones that they no longer make in the same quantities as before..

I read an interesting Danish university study a few years ago. It proved without doubt that the Aitkins low carb diet caused better weight loss than any other diet or regime.

However, their study also proved that the Aitkins folk consumed less calories than any other group.

They concluded that the insulin resistance improved as did ghrelen and leptin responses. That the Aitkin group were satiated by the food they ate and so they learned to stop eating, hence the small overall reduction in average calories consumed. Thus eating high calorie fat is more filling than other foods and you body realises it has sufficient food and tells you to stop eating.

I add coconut oil to my diet, I find it fills me up so I don't feel hungry and want to snack on fruit etc.

Don't take my word for it, check it out for yourself, or just listen to Mr Right, just don't reply, it only encourages him LOL

Forget all the latest diets the simple fact is that if your energy intake is less than your energy expenditure you will lose weight.

There is nothing more to consider. As you age your BMR ( basal metabolic rate ) decreases therefore you need to eat less.

So it's down to calorie counting

BAD advice. BAD.

As usual most replies here are from the ol' starve-and-sweat brigade--though some who were card-carrying members have started to wise up (congrats!)--while refusing to admit it of course. wink.png

Here's a lengthy video that explains simply, exactly, and in detail what's wrong w/ starve-and-sweat (calories in/out) and gives the rational, workable alternative.

It's by a distinguished MD in the UK, so our many insular Brits and Commonwealth suckups can be totally comfortable with the message delivered in THE intelligent, understandable, credible, authoritative accent. NOT a shyster, quack, diet hack, or alternative medicine nut.

If you're interested in losing weight and keeping it off in the most successful way yet discovered, in a way that makes perfectly good sense in view of the biochemistry, here's the answer. No need to blabber ignorance (personal "beliefs," "thoughts") about diets any longer. WATCH IT:

Get Fit, Lose Weight, and Feel Great the Easy Way! | Dr. John Briffa

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 1

@JSixpack

I watched it agreeing with most of it.

Fun thing..he attacks caloric restrictions but then says that eating more protein at breakfast and such will help you to reduce eating 110 cals a day. He then goes on later on multiple times about eating less carbs leads to eating less calories. So in a way he believes in calories out vs in but just not in extreme reductions because as the Minnesota experiment shown that goes wrong. Slow and steady does it in general.

So calories in vs calories out still seems valid only thing is are you doing int conscious or not.

All in all nothing new to me but nice to hear again, my carbs are quite restricted as I only eat some in the morning (with a lot of protein) and later on I don't. Haven't been counting calories for over a year still know what i eat.

He really is right that combating hunger is important.. also his point about 3 meals (while i do eat 3 meals) sounds right to me. I might for the fun of it try to change when i eat breakfast. I actually don't need too as I am holding my weight without too much problem.

Interesting his views on exercise as he is promoting weight / resistance training over running and such. He also likes HITT I have done it and find it rewarding but if done too much also easy to overtrain because if you really do it well you tax the CNS.

He made some mistakes in only looking at weight loss when exercise was concerned not correcting for muscle gain. But sure I would do the same if i try to get my views across omit things that are not in line with them. All in all nice vid but something I already live by.

But for many it might be quite helpful as I am sure there are a lot of people out there that are insulin resistant because of their food intake. Changing that changes the game and eating less carbs certainly helps there. When i was overweight I found out i was insulin resistant and by eating less carbs that changed and weight came off easier.

• Like 1

One good bit i found his reference to people on caloric restrictive diet where research showed that those who took multivitamins lost more weight. I have / am still debating with myself if vitamin tablets work. This suggest they do.

• Like 1

Cheers for the advice guys, most of my food is home cooked by the mrs never really eat out becasue a, im not a fan of thai food and b the mrs cooking is great and she know how i like it.

Guess im gonna have to cut all teh crap put completley and instead of making it a 5 day a week thing boost it up to 7 including no alchohol for a while see how i can get on, i recond if i can just see the first 15lbs gone then that will motivate me more to keep on the straight and narrow.

I can see you are getting some good advice, I have lost 20 Kgs over two years and keeping it off. The main thing is the advice I received was exercise first thing before coffee or breakfast for one hour heart rate elevated by exercise be it walking jogging bike apparently half hour before you start to burn fat and half an hour of burning fat. The other thing was to reduce the intake of animal fat which I do by removing the fat before cooking and careful choice of dishes when out.

Motivation?? If you do not do it now, the hips and knees will give out and look around you?? Boy, it sure motivated me, I did not want to be the "fat farang hobbling along" no sir, so I got to it.

I am feeling better physically and mentally, get out of that rut.

The other aspect of my lifestyle change I eat early about 5 or 5.30 and do not drink till 5 PM and usually 3 or 4 cans.

If I feel like a snack, I have an apple or orange which I keep in the fridge all the time.

Like you, ex smoker that was when I whacked it on but now ex smoker moderate drinker and got the weight off, hence a happier man.

It is not about a diet it is a lifestyle change and being happy with it.

Good luck with it.

Edited by rosst

One good bit i found his reference to people on caloric restrictive diet where research showed that those who took multivitamins lost more weight. I have / am still debating with myself if vitamin tablets work. This suggest they do.

That is interesting indeed. It's no big deal to pop a vitamin pill either way.

Fun thing..he attacks caloric restrictions but then says that eating more protein at breakfast and such will help you to reduce eating 110 cals a day. He then goes on later on multiple times about eating less carbs leads to eating less calories. So in a way he believes in calories out vs in but just not in extreme reductions because as the Minnesota experiment shown that goes wrong. Slow and steady does it in general.

So calories in vs calories out still seems valid only thing is are you doing int conscious or not.

No, you confused his point and merely attempt to distort it into the outdated starve-and-sweat mandate. It's easy to see that you don't, or rather won't, get it because, of the major points he made, you must seize on that utterly trivial fact he threw out that you'd lose 110 calories a day. It's nothing.

He made some mistakes in only looking at weight loss when exercise was concerned not correcting for muscle gain.

No, he made no mistakes, though as an incorrigible gym rat you would of course claim that he did, to protect your investment and justify a needless regime. He implicitly addressed your point, but you see it didn't deserve more in the topic under discussion, and in the plan for weight loss and maintenance is of little importance. He had a main point to get across and did so quite effectively. It's all news for our brainwashed starve-and-sweat weight loss brigade here on the forum anyway.

And it's exactly what the OP needs, presented simply and understandably with just the right amount of evidence and detail. At the end, common questions were addressed.

But for many it might be quite helpful as I am sure there are a lot of people out there that are insulin resistant because of their food intake. Changing that changes the game and eating less carbs certainly helps there. When i was overweight I found out i was insulin resistant and by eating less carbs that changed and weight came off easier.

No, it's great for everyone, not just for the insulin resistant--a mistaken point to which you forever cling and repeat. How did you think you became insulin resistant in the first place? Is insulin resistance desirable to prevent from ever happening? And how might that be accomplished? wink.png

Next.

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 1

H2o H2o H2o H2o

And when you are done drink water with lemon

Also try a colon detox

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Water with lemon sounds good.

Green tea is great!

Colon detox is considered really fringe and generally not recommended by mainstream medical people. I agree with them!

Rare thing this, when it comes to Diet advice ... but 2 from 2 ... I agree with JT.

No, you confused his point and merely attempt to distort it into the outdated starve-and-sweat mandate. It's easy to see that you don't, or rather won't, get it because, of the major points he made, you must seize on that utterly trivial fact he threw out that you'd lose 110 calories a day. It's nothing.

He made some mistakes in only looking at weight loss when exercise was concerned not correcting for muscle gain.

No, he made no mistakes, though as an incorrigible gym rat you would of course claim that he did, to protect your investment and justify a needless regime. He implicitly addressed your point, but you see it didn't deserve more in the topic under discussion, and in the plan for weight loss and maintenance is of little importance. He had a main point to get across and did so quite effectively. It's all news for our brainwashed starve-and-sweat weight loss brigade here on the forum anyway.

And it's exactly what the OP needs, presented simply and understandably with just the right amount of evidence and detail. At the end, common questions were addressed.

No, it's great for everyone, not just for the insulin resistant--a mistaken point to which you forever cling and repeat. How did you think you became insulin resistant in the first place? Is insulin resistance desirable to prevent from ever happening? And how might that be accomplished? wink.png

Next.

Thanks for the link, the presentation is very good overall except that he choose not to discuss the hormone Ghrelen in the part about hunger, just a technical point and no big deal.

I agree with most of what Rob says with his observations about calories as mentioned in the presentation and in defence of Rob, he did say "Fun thing..", I didn't feel that Rob was saying anything derogatory, rather thinking out loud to clarify his personal understanding. (Rob's first language, like many on TV, is not his first language).

There is a lot more supportive evidence that he could have given regarding the processing of fructose and alcohol for example but such additional info would have probably taken the presentation into information overload, it was 90 minutes already and any more could be too much for many people.

Js you appear to be a tad aggressive in your posts and I do not want to create or take part in a pissing contest, there was nothing new for me either in the presentation, except the presentation it'self and in that I feel he did a really great job of condensing a huge subject into something that will be manageable for many people.

Dr Joe Mercola has been a promotor of HIIT and eating healthy fats with reduced carb intake and avoidance of artificial sweeteners for years. He has made many videos and goes into the chemistry of liver work in relation to the processing of fructose, alcohol and much more.

What he hasn't done (yet?) is a video compilation like this one (for any minor arguments anyone may have with it).

Thanks again for the link, I have already passed it on to a group in another forum who are interested in weight loss.

I feel that many of us on this thread are on the same page in the book of understanding weight control and you have really done us a service by sharing this link - cheers.

Have a look at mercola.com and see what I mean and please pass on any more good links that you may have. Cheers

What i just wanted to make clear was that even though its not caloric restrictive it works by eating less. That is created by less hunger because less carbs are consumed. There is proof that you burn more calories on a low carb diet, its not that much but all little bits help over time. I am still a believer in calories in vs calories out BUT... there are more things in the equation like where the calories come from and if your insulin resistant or not. If you are creating a too big deficit (starving and that turns your body into a slower state of burning) Its still all about the energy balance only not all things are as rigid as the original calories in vs calories out.

It is great if you can loose weight without starving or slaving away at the gym, as I have always looked for ways not to get hungry. Now i am maintaining not hungry at all, but when loosing weight that was different. I like working out in the gym and there are many benefits from it but its not for everyone, i think for weight loss its easier to look at the food side as at the gym side.

As i said countless times I am low doing low carb myself.

Jsixpack.. you want to know how i became insulin resistant.. high carbs (alcohol / sweetened drinks and such). So yes I know about the risks of high carbs. I see low carbs as just an other tool to help me live healthy.

But i take it you "Jsixpack" are maintaining.. just like me. That is easier (in a way) as loosing weight. I have absolutely no hunger never had when maintaining. Different story when loosing weight (for me) even at low carbs. We are not all the same in how our body responds to things.

• Like 2

I got the necessary kick up the arse 3 months ago when I was diagnosed with type 2 Diabetes(I'm 6ft,and was at the time 105 Kilo's which is 16.5 Stone),I'm a big lump of a lad,cycle regularly,do a very intense self defense regime as I am in the Security Business so wasn't worried about it too much,and the diagnosis came as a bit of a shock(no family history,no classic buildups(I don't eat chocolate,or drink fizzies etc),

then I came across this study (sorry for link from a daily paper,I had the proper one before I rebuilt my PC) http://www.express.co.uk/news/health/452220/How-a-strict-diet-of-800-calories-a-day-can-cure-diabetes-in-weeks,

and said, this,I'm going for it,I'm quite proactive about my health,so there was a lot of back and forth with my doctors etc first(I'm back home in Ireland at the moment)but 2 months ago I started the diet...and it at first was rough,but with willpower I lost 5.4 kilo's in the 2 months,

have an appointment with my Diabetes Clinic soon(wish me luck!) cause I had to stop taking the medication,and my Glucose levels are almost back to baseline,

more importantly(for yourself OP)I feel great,look great,am fitting into clothes I couldn't(back to being a "hansum man" for real w00t.gif ) and my speed and stamina on the Bike and in Training are up,

the most important part of it is a change in mental attitude,once you start inquiring,or even wondering what you are eating it is possible.

I don't recommend the full 800 calories only plan for longer than a few months though,I would start there,and move up to 1500 calories a day(the daily recommended for a man is 2500,and a big lad like yourself could get through a lot more!),

you can do it!,

the real Eureka moments for me were looking at a side-on upper body photo of my head from christmas(I had more chins than a chinese

phone directory!,I also shave my head,and my Nephews had taken to calling me fathead...only when they could run away though:))

then looking at a recent one,and going ! I remember that guy!,

and the first time I put on a pair of shorts I had bought in Thailand and they fell straight off me!,

it's these little moments that'll keep you going,Transam is right,extra exercise is not the answer,it takes too long to burn calories(although it helps with general fitness),

LESS calories(of any kind,you don't need to be too strict,although I did cut down on proper junk food)is the answer,

and don't beat yourself up if you have a slip up here and there!,I was talking to a mate of mine on Skype and he was stuffing his face and I literally snapped and ran to the chipper and stuffed my face!,

good luck,

no matter what kind of abuse other posters may give you THIS is a good first step,the next is Willpower,it only takes 72 hours for your stomach to shrink,so a small meal will fill the same hole,

final line,(sorry for wall of text!) DON'T listen to your Thai GF saying "she like you little bit pom poi" this is just a way to keep other Women from looking at you!.,

QTNO/Rob.

Edited by QualityTouristNumberOne

I got the necessary kick up the arse 3 months ago when I was diagnosed with type 2 Diabetes(I'm 6ft,and was at the time 105 Kilo's which is 16.5 Stone),I'm a big lump of a lad,cycle regularly,do a very intense self defense regime as I am in the Security Business so wasn't worried about it too much,and the diagnosis came as a bit of a shock(no family history,no classic buildups(I don't eat chocolate,or drink fizzies etc),

then I came across this study (sorry for link from a daily paper,I had the proper one before I rebuilt my PC) http://www.express.co.uk/news/health/452220/How-a-strict-diet-of-800-calories-a-day-can-cure-diabetes-in-weeks,

I don't recommend the full 800 calories only plan for longer than a few months though,I would start there,and move up to 1500 calories a day(the daily recommended for a man is 2500,and a big lad like yourself could get through a lot more!),

you can do it!,

it's these little moments that'll keep you going,Transam is right,extra exercise is not the answer,it takes too long to burn calories(although it helps with general fitness),

LESS calories(of any kind,you don't need to be too strict,although I did cut down on proper junk food)is the answer,

and don't beat yourself up if you have a slip up here and there!,I was talking to a mate of mine on Skype and he was stuffing his face and I literally snapped and ran to the chipper and stuffed my face!,

good luck,

I disagree with you on many points.

At 105kg, that's 25% overweight. You should be between 69Kg and 79Kg for someone 6ft.

Exercise,

I use a heart monitor and wrist recorder, my basic exercise uses 2000+KCal/week, but I can use 8000+KCal in an excessive week. (total 8-10 hours exercise in a basic week)

Cycling, swimming, hiking, running. No gym work at all, I don't find it interesting or effective.

Junk food,

I have to eat at least 4 junk food meals a week in order to keep from excessive weight loss.

I'm having to force food down when I'm not really hungry. I find excessive exercise inhibits hunger.

Overweight is a lifestyle problem, too much available food, too much free time, not enough physical activity.

Sorry to hear about the diabetes, but with that much excess weight only to be expected (that or a similar problem).

There is scientific consensus now that the food intake part is MUCH more important in tackling obesity than the exercise part. Yes, do both parts, but the food changes are the ones that will generally pay off bigger for the vast majority of people. Forget diets. Forget crash diets. There is plenty of good information here already on the forums about tactics for FOOD CHOICES (rather than calorie counting) that is now being really well supported by science.

On. " dance your fat off "

Some guys losing about 3 KG a week.

What are they doing right ?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Kinda depends on your starting weight if that is really high and your really fat the fist weight comes off easy once you change your eating habits.

There is scientific consensus now that the food intake part is MUCH more important in tackling obesity than the exercise part. Yes, do both parts, but the food changes are the ones that will generally pay off bigger for the vast majority of people. Forget diets. Forget crash diets. There is plenty of good information here already on the forums about tactics for FOOD CHOICES (rather than calorie counting) that is now being really well supported by science.

100% agree, i always worked out quite intense and good, but changes happened when i got my food intake under control. Its amazing what exercise and a good healthy food intake can do for you. But changing what you eat and how much you eat has much more impact as exercise.

But exercise has many other benefits as only weight loss, health wise its great too.

• Like 1

On. " dance your fat off "

Some guys losing about 3 KG a week.

What are they doing right ?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Many years ago I worked with a guy who was a tri-athlete, he entered the Iron Man competiton, coming about 30 in Hong Kong, so a good athlete.

He ate huge amounts of carbs daily because when he competed, he would lose several kilos during the competition. He did a huge amount of training daily, 10 mile sprint bike ride to work, then 100 laps of the swimming pool. 1 hours running at lunch time and a 10 mile sprint bike ride home. In the evening he would also bike or run for hours - quite a maniac IMHO.

Last year we moved to a new flat about 200 metres away and I carried most of our belongings from one flat to the other over two days. I lost more than 2 kilos and took days, nay weeks to recover.

Clearly, it is possible to work fat off but it is super hard to do it that way and unless you keep expending that amount of energy daily - it won't stay off!

I think the OP wants to find out how to change his life style so that he can achieve a sensible target weight and easily keep at that target.

The video presentation that JS shared would be a wonderful plan for him to follow.

It also gives leads to follow up and do a little more research that will help him with motivation.

Edited by laislica
  • Like 1

you can do it!,

good luck,

At 105kg, that's 25% overweight. You should be between 69Kg and 79Kg for someone 6ft.

Exercise,

I use a heart monitor and wrist recorder, my basic exercise uses 2000+KCal/week, but I can use 8000+KCal in an excessive week. (total 8-10 hours exercise in a basic week)

Cycling, swimming, hiking, running. No gym work at all, I don't find it interesting or effective.

Junk food,

I have to eat at least 4 junk food meals a week in order to keep from excessive weight loss.

I'm having to force food down when I'm not really hungry. I find excessive exercise inhibits hunger.

Overweight is a lifestyle problem, too much available food, too much free time, not enough physical activity.

Sorry to hear about the diabetes, but with that much excess weight only to be expected (that or a similar problem).

well we can agree to disagree then.

and I guess you didn't read the part where I'm down to 99 kilo's already(well actually 97 now),and as a result of the diet I am no longer diabetic? and train harder than everyone I know,except for one man?,and that's how the Diabetes thing came as such a shock? kinda looks like you barely skimmed my post before firing off your own.

I was 79 kilo's when I was 19 years old,that's 12 stone...15+ stone looks a lot better on me(I'm a lot broader in the shoulders and arms and bigger in the legs nowadaysbiggrin.png ),

my speed is still the same(I'm a left hander and won the genetic lottery on reflexes,us lefties are on average 18% faster reflex/hand eye wise,and even though I'm 20 years older,the last reflex test I took after recovering from a nasty injury leveled me out at about 25% faster than average..,and I have 4 extra stone of mass behind every maneuver),

we see it all the time in training,a good big guy will beat a good small guy in 99.9% of street or security situations.

BMI is bullshit,pedaled by the same corporations selling diet products.

My best friend,been through an awful lot of hard times and unfortunately violence together(that's the security game for you though...every part of it from doing doors and static work in parts of North and South Ireland during the troubles to stuff I'm not going to discuss on a public forum),

This guy is 6'4 and 22 stone...that's 139kg,hell by BMI he's obese,but looks like Bas Rutten.

His training regime includes repeated reps of 700 kicks per leg to a height of 7ft 4inches,he regularly destroys training bags with punches and kicks is crazy into the Gym and can do all kinds of ridiculous weight training(sorry I can't be specific,he doesn't brag and I like you,HATE the Gym)he can move faster than a Ballerina(doesn't look as good in a tutu though smile.png ) and on his last visit to the doctor he was told he has the resting pulse and heartrate of an olympic athlete...I'm just using him as an example of how ridiculous BMI can be,by BMI The Rock is obese...think about that blink.png .

I'd be as worried as hell if I ever went down to 12 stone again!,I'd think I was seriously ill,

no-15 stone or so is where I'm gonna level out,

I'm with you on the Cycling, and swimming,I also Scuba dive,and do Animal Day style training(look it up) at least 3 times a week,maybe more,and most of the time I'm trying to take down this behemoth of a friend of mine,

toughest training I know!.

but that's NOT how i went from Diabetic to Undiabetic in 2 months...it was diet,simple as that,

I cut my calories to a 3rd of normal,its in the link in my former post if you'd care to read it,it works,

and that's a fact.

That's why I recommended it to the OP,for the short term,WHILE keeping up some form of exercise.

and then to move up to just less calories in than out til he's satisfied.

I repeat,BMI is bullshit,

Obesity is a modern day plague(Ironically a 1st world problem) but I'd rather be big,strong,fast and 20% larger than some arbitrary set of rules drawn up by ONE man in 1830!.

Marylin Monroe was 16 stone too by the way(but again,I don't look as good in a dress!whistling.gif .)

Edited by QualityTouristNumberOne

you can do it!,

good luck,

Exercise,

Junk food,

If i did not read this post I never knew you were back "fifty two" of course i still remember your other handle.

Your weight range is crazy it is only for skinny guys not for people who have serious muscle mass. Though I agree most think they are muscular but are not.

As for hating working in a gym some like it and some don't for gaining muscle there is nothing better. (if done right) for your kind of thing what you are doing is far better and being in a gym would only get you bored. Not everyone is the same.

Diabetes is not a result of excess weight actually its often the other way around, you get excess weight when your diabetes as it also means your insulin resistant and that means you gain weight easy.

Anyway nice to see you back.

• 1 month later...

WFPBD

Lost 25 lbs in 7 months.

Aiming at 40lbs in one year.

Congratulations.

How are you doing it?

In my life (now 72) I have often been up at 95 + Kg = 209 Lbs or about 15 stone.

3 months ago I was about 78 Kg = 171 Lbs or about 12 and a quarter stones and slowly rising

from a year ago when it was about 75 Kg but with more muscle.

3 months ago I virtually dropped carbohydrates and fat is falling off, waist size is a notch or two smaller

I am now about 74.5 Kg = 164 Lbs or about 11 and a half stones and falling a few tens of grams per day.

I eat eggs, meat with the fat, olive and coconut oil, nuts, avocados and lots of salad and veggies, even chocolate (85% coco fat) and wine, usually red.

No bread, beer, sugar, potatoes, rice, pasta, or very starchy veggies.

However, because I have a wife and a social life I have to consume some carbs occasionally like beer and tapas.

When I do I note that weight rapidly increases and I start to feel hungry, whereas on no carbs I am not hungry.

This is not a low calorie as such, I don´t count them but I accept that it may only be a reasonable calorie load, maybe 2,000 or so daily.

Exercise, nothing out of the ordinary, walk to the shops, occasional bike ride for anything uo to an hour or so.

Some longer walks to visit friends, about half an hour each way with an up hill grind to get there.

I saw a very interesting video about the impact of hi carb drinks (sugared sodas, beer etc) on the body as apposed to solid food carbs.

The presenter said he thought it might be similar to pressure.

If he pressed at say 50Kg on your body for a few minutes, no problem but

if the same amount of energy was transmitted in a few milliseconds (a punch) it could be damaging.

I like that idea,

Good luck and please give some feedback as it may help me and others.

WFPBD

Lost 25 lbs in 7 months.

Congratulations.

How are you doing it?

In my life (now 72) I have often been up at 95 + Kg = 209 Lbs or about 15 stone.

3 months ago I was about 78 Kg = 171 Lbs or about 12 and a quarter stones and slowly rising

3 months ago I virtually dropped carbohydrates and fat is falling off, waist size is a notch or two smaller

I am now about 74.5 Kg = 164 Lbs or about 11 and a half stones and falling a few tens of grams per day.

I eat eggs, meat with the fat, olive and coconut oil, nuts, avocados and lots of salad and veggies, even chocolate (85% coco fat) and wine, usually red.

However, because I have a wife and a social life I have to consume some carbs occasionally like beer and tapas.

When I do I note that weight rapidly increases and I start to feel hungry, whereas on no carbs I am not hungry.

This is not a low calorie as such, I don´t count them but I accept that it may only be a reasonable calorie load, maybe 2,000 or so daily.

Exercise, nothing out of the ordinary, walk to the shops, occasional bike ride for anything uo to an hour or so.

Some longer walks to visit friends, about half an hour each way with an up hill grind to get there.

I saw a very interesting video about the impact of hi carb drinks (sugared sodas, beer etc) on the body as apposed to solid food carbs.

if the same amount of energy was transmitted in a few milliseconds (a punch) it could be damaging.

I like that idea,

Oh I'm doing great

I do it for medical reasons but the weight loss is a nice extra bonus.

It's the contrary of you though.

I eat starches but only whole.

It's called Whole Food Plant Base Diet (WFPBD)

It's really simple: I eat 3 types of foods

-Starches: Brown rice or noodles, millet, quinoa, lentils, beans,etc

- Veggies: cruciferous or super-veg (Kale, spinach, collards, salads - that I often juice- or for meals broccoli, cauliflowers, cabbage,bok choy and red or purples ones like beetroots, purple eggplants..

- A LOT of fruits

"Whole Food" means nothing processed :No sugar - No oil - little salt (salt is the last thing I am having trouble to give up)

• Like 1

WFPBD

Lost 25 lbs in 7 months.

Congratulations.

How are you doing it?

I like that idea,

Oh I'm doing great

- Veggies: cruciferous or super-veg (Kale, spinach, collards, salads - that I often juice- or for meals broccoli, cauliflowers, cabbage,bok choy and red or purples ones like beetroots, purple eggplants..

- A LOT of fruits

"Whole Food" means nothing processed :No sugar - No oil - little salt (salt is the last thing I am having trouble to give up)

Ah, cravings, I can say that I could kill for Toast LOL.

The common thing between our diets is No Sugar!.

I wonder if I add back sweet potato, will it cock things up?

Maybe something for me to try.

I have no salt problem as I gave it up years ago.

I am aiming at reducing fat %age in an attempt to reduce climbing BP.

I should say that as lumps of fat disappear so my pee is much stronger and toxic headaches develop if I don´t drink enough water.,

• Like 1

WFPBD

Lost 25 lbs in 7 months.

Congratulations.

How are you doing it?

I like that idea,

Oh I'm doing great

- A LOT of fruits

I should say that as lumps of fat disappear so my pee is much stronger and toxic headaches develop if I don´t drink enough water.,

My best results were when I reduced carbs to almost zero (no worry if the body needs some he can make carbs from protein, so there is no danger), zero alcohol as it messed with the sugar in blood.

When I got used to that I reduced the fat in the food.

If you hold that without exceptions you loose fat fast, not hungry, but relative hard to switch back to normal food.

WFPBD

Lost 25 lbs in 7 months.

Congratulations.

How are you doing it?

I like that idea,

Oh I'm doing great

- A LOT of fruits

No sweet potatoes are the best nutritionally, better than potatoes, and they found a population that did not have any case of heart disease, who was eating 19 different kind of sweet potatoes!

As far as fat is concern, I take it only from raw nuts, almonds and especially walnuts (which are excellent for your arteries).It's my only source of fat so I tend to go a little crazy on them as snack like a packet of 150g per day, but it's great because despite all the calories in them, they don't make you fat, (it's whole plant fat) so I still lose weight!

• Like 1

Classic...OP!. I was thin, tall & muscular before coming to Thailand.

Shredding weight, a very good luck to you. The concept to Thais is completely a Western influence. Though reading most recent posts, stay away from beans (i.e. Soy), any nuts (not good for gas tract) & spicy food, not to leave out, Thai made beer or whiskey. No sanitation laws in Thailand...uhhh...no laws regarding food, period. The spicy food & whatever they put in it, which is the same for their beer & whiskey, will slow the metabolism & thin the stomach lining. Up to u to figure out what does what.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1