Which travellers cheques for Thailand ?

Tuvoc

I'm going to bring some GBP (sterling) travellers cheques for our upcoming trip to Thailand. Does it matter if they are American Express, or VISA travellers cheques from my normal bank ? Are they just as easy to cash at the Thailand banks ?

We always get stuck with ATM cards in Thailand. The daily withdrawal limit is quite small, and the bank blocks the cards as quick as a flash if it thinks the activity is abnormal. Hence, I want to be better prepared this time.

Do what I do when I travel OS. Tell your bank where you are going and what cards you will be using and increase your daily limit for the time you're away. You can always reduce it when you get home. So much easier to use atms for cash. I haven't used T/cheques since the 80's.

Does anyone still use travellers cheques?

If AmEx still have their no-quibble replacement policy I would use them, but in all honesty a couple of credit cards with sensible limits and your bank ATM cards should see you right.

I'm interested in your reply. I'm not trying to be contentious or funny, I'm just merely curious. I have always used AE travelers checques when visiting Thailand, because of the extra charges associated with credit cards. I used a card once at an atm in mbk, and had to pay about 5 dollars right away for that privilege, and was hit again with a percentage fee by my bank on my next statement. I think I lost about 10 dollars for a 130 dollar transaction. If there is a way to use credit cards and not pay all these fees, I would be all for it. If AE travelers cheques are still trouble free, I would be inclined to stick with them.

Just a heads up, its 150 baht per travellers cheque to cash now, plus any commission that they want to apply. If you are not in a tourist area you will also have trouble cashing them

Where does this 150 baht fee apply? banks, money changers, everyplace?

Just a heads up, its 150 baht per travellers cheque to cash now, plus any commission that they want to apply. If you are not in a tourist area you will also have trouble cashing them

last time i done amex tc it was 30 baht , only done the last one in january so i will check those rates before using them again , i use them most of the time as the costs are far less than using uk atm cards 150 baht local fee + 2.5 % foreign transaction fee with nationwide uk now , (please correct me if i am wrong, ) each 10,000 baht withdraw using atm was about 9£ english , with amex 1% when i buy from the uk post office + 30 baht local fee works out allot cheaper if you bringing large amounts, +++++ added security you get with amex....

last time i done amex tc it was 30 baht , only done the last one in january so i will check those rates before using them again , i use them most of the time as the costs are far less than using uk atm cards 150 baht local fee + 2.5 % foreign transaction fee with nationwide uk now , (please correct me if i am wrong, ) each 10,000 baht withdraw using atm was about 9£ english , with amex 1% when i buy from the uk post office + 30 baht local fee works out allot cheaper if you bringing large amounts, +++++ added security you get with amex....

Very useful information ! I did phone my UK bank and get my daily ATM limit increased, but from what you are saying, TCs are cheaper anyway and very secure.

Are you saying there is a 1% fee when you purchase them ? So for every 100GBP you pay £101 ?

EDIT: 1.5% handling charge when purchasing online from Amex.

Edited by Tuvoc

Very useful information ! I did phone my UK bank and get my daily ATM limit increased, but from what you are saying, TCs are cheaper anyway and very secure.

Are you saying there is a 1% fee when you purchase them ? So for every 100GBP you pay £101 ?

EDIT: 1.5% handling charge when purchasing online from Amex.

Yes, 1 - 1.5%

Just checked with my UK Bank. Withdrawals from a foreign ATM in incur a Foreign Cash Fee of 2% (minimum £2, maximum £5) PLUS a Non-Sterling Transaction Fee of 2.75%. Outrageous !!

If AmEx still have their no-quibble replacement policy I would use them, but in all honesty a couple of credit cards with sensible limits and your bank ATM cards should see you right.

I agree. T/Cs are a waste of time. Can't remember the last time I used them. Do as suggested above.

Cheers and enjoy your visit....like many of us, you may want to stay, despite what the Naysayers grizzle about.

Edited by Torrens54

Cheers and enjoy your visit....like many of us, you may want to stay, despite what the Naysayers grizzle about.

Oh, that is certainly the plan for when I retire with my Thai wife of many years.

Edit: Oh, then the best way of all is probably to wire some money into her Thai account to use for the duration of our visit.

Edited by Tuvoc

I have a Visa Gold card so no 1% fees to buy TC and no 1% fee to cash them back. The 30 baht is a fix charge for every TC you change so do not buy small TC like 50 pounds buy at least 100 pounds.

So I bring them on all my trips and if I do not use them I put them back in my account when I am back.

It save me a lot of trouble 3 times and one of my friend one time, few years back on my first trip to Laos, arriving in Vientiane, no ATM and the hotel did not take credit card so here are the TC. Cambodia, Siam Reap, go to the ATM and they do not accept 5 digits PIN so go to the bank, same same with ATM and credit card. A other time in Thailand, optical fiber broken somewhere in Asia so 24 hours without ATM and credit card so here's the TC again. I had a friend coming in Thailand for 3 weeks, he came only with his credit card who was refused everywhere for 2 weeks because his bank block the card so I financed is trip with my TC.

I haven't used travelers' checks in 30 years; didn't know they were still in use! My advice: use credit cards, bank ATM card. Always call your bank in advance to let them know travel dates and countries.. otherwise they are almost certain to block the card when they see something come through. Be judicious in choice of ATM's (lighting, check for 'skimmers', etc.).

• Like 1

Yes, but as you can see there is still a use for TCs, and you can save some money by using them. I've also been caught short by the bank blocking my card, so never again will I rely on ATM cards alone.

• Like 1

Found this on tripadviser website , if helpful:

Travelers Cheques

If you prefer the security offered by travellers cheques, then take them in your home currency if available. i.e. If you are from Britain, do not get USD cheques or you will lose money on that exchange before you have even started. In some cases there is a fee to buy travellers cheques.

• When you exchange travellers cheques in Thailand as of March 1, 2014 there is a 153 baht fee per cheque (up from the previous 33 baht).
  • To minimise this 153 baht fee it is wise to get your cheques in larger denominations (i.e. fewer exchanges).
  • T/Cs actually get a marginally better exchange rate than cash, which will help offset part of the fee.
  • When cashing T/Cs you will be required to present your ID (i.e. Passport).
  • T/Cs provide improved security for you, as they can be replaced if lost/stolen.
  • Only American Express cheques are accepted. Do NOT bring other kinds of cheques such as Thoma
  • Like 2

Thanks for the Tripadvisor info. This is the answer I was after originally !!

• Only American Express cheques are accepted. Do NOT bring other kinds of cheques such as Thomas Cook.

American Express only.

I still use, and have done for many years, Amex T/C's as part of my travelling money, along with pre-charged cards. Always keep any unchanged cheques for future holidays, and never had a problem until my last trip.

1st attempt a Bangkok Bank branch..."Sorry, there is a problem. You must call Amex." handing me an 0800 number for US. Luckily, I had my smartphone with internet access, and found the number of Amex Bangkok. Was in the bank for two hours before resolved. Never found what the problem was.

2nd attempt a couple of weeks later in a branch of SCB that I have always used for cashing Amex T/C's...Same thing. After getting the cashier to speak to Amex Bangkok, all resolved after almost two hours.

The only thing I can think of is that the T/C's being a couple of years old may have caused a problem.

So my advice is to keep with you, phone numbers of Amex Travellers Cheque support Thailand, and maybe name of company where you bought, plus date of purchase. Just in case of any problems.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

We always get stuck with ATM cards in Thailand. The daily withdrawal limit is quite small, and the bank blocks the cards as quick as a flash if it thinks the activity is abnormal. Hence, I want to be better prepared this time.

Always let your bank and CCard supplier know you are off to Sth East Asia and you should have no problems , both have given up on me as my residential address with them is Thailand.

Perfect, thanks for the link. I'll go with the Amex ones. Haven't used these for years !!

Free from the Post Office up to GBP2,000 and Amex are here to replace if lost or stolen.

Post Office is 1.5%, I checked with them.

Call the credit crd company BEFORE you leave and let them know you will be traveling to Thailand and the dates you will be there and ask them to NOT block any transactions unless you notify them of a problem first.

This has always worked for me.

• Like 2

Perfect, thanks for the link. I'll go with the Amex ones. Haven't used these for years !!

Free from the Post Office up to GBP2,000 and Amex are here to replace if lost or stolen.

Post Office is 1.5%, I checked with them.

M & S are where I always use, the cheapest I have found.

I've always used M & S until my last trip at Xmas when my local branch said they have stopped issuing them now, not sure if its a local change or national?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The only way to avoid poor rates, and/or excessive charges is a by bringing cash.

I'm interested in your reply. I'm not trying to be contentious or funny, I'm just merely curious. I have always used AE travelers checques when visiting Thailand, because of the extra charges associated with credit cards. I used a card once at an atm in mbk, and had to pay about 5 dollars right away for that privilege, and was hit again with a percentage fee by my bank on my next statement. I think I lost about 10 dollars for a 130 dollar transaction. If there is a way to use credit cards and not pay all these fees, I would be all for it. If AE travelers cheques are still trouble free, I would be inclined to stick with them.