Had a Hard Morning on Thai Visa

ThePunPun

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The truth to your pictures of food, is all looks greasy & fattening. We can get that anywhere! Show something different or appealing to whatever country you want to represent. For Americans 30-50, the food is disgusting. What audience are you targeting, then go there.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

The truth to your pictures of food, is all looks greasy & fattening. We can get that anywhere! Show something different or appealing to whatever country you want to represent. For Americans 30-50, the food is disgusting. What audience are you targeting, then go there.

Who appointed you the spokesman for Americans 30-50? I would guess that most Americans or, for that matter, most people, would find your remarks pointlessly offensive.

Edited by quidnunc
  • Like 2

Who appointed you the spokesman for Americans 30-50? I would guess that most Americans or, for that matter, most people, would find your remarks pointlessly offensive.

How is describing food which "CAN KILL YOU" as offensive? As I pointed out the food as pictured is (without suggestion) fatty & a cholesterol disaster, but didn't say as much, but you asked.

too much saturated fat and not enough fresh veg and salad.

Saturated fat is a problem why?

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/03/17/study-questions-fat-and-heart-disease-link

Probably by eating too much can lead to obesity, which in turn can cause other things, but otherwise it doesn't seem too bad.

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2014/03March/Pages/Saturated-fats-and-heart-disease-link-unproven.aspx

How is describing food which "CAN KILL YOU" as offensive? As I pointed out the food as pictured is (without suggestion) fatty & a cholesterol disaster, but didn't say as much, but you asked.

I must admit those photos certainly do not do those dishes any justice, it`s the camera because the colours are awful not the food, but why come onto this thread just to try and deter customers from visiting an establishment where the owner is doing his best to please and trying to make a legitimate living? That`s just being nasty and malicious.

Having lived in Chiang Mai for many years and breathing in all the pollution and toxic waste for so long, I doubt if eating a little bit of what you fancy once in a while will make any difference to our health issues.

I have visited the Pun Pun several times over the years and the food is nice, good value in a welcoming environment and have a wide variety of dishes to suit all tastes. He often gets some very attractive young girl customers in there at times, so we have some eye candy while we`re eating. If you don`t like it, than lump it and eat somewhere else, it`s that simple, or as the wise man says; go and tell it on a mountain because no one`s interested.

Now we resume our broadcast and back to normal service.

Edited by Beetlejuice
  • Like 2

Ive only been once (Christmas lunch) and it was a very good experience. The portions are not the size movie stars/models would normally eat.... that is; you get a lot of bang for your buck.

Its not a pretentious arty farty serving of food and it tastes bloody great. Personally I couldnt eat it everyday but once in a while its good to partake in such a meal.

In fact I think it will do my for lunch tomorrow....thumbsup.gif

If you havent been there then I suggest you try before you attempt to run the place down, you may be surprised.

Only advice Id give is to take a bike or use a taxi/songtew/tuk tuk. Parking is limited.

As far as I know, the Pun Pun is the only place in town to get a chicken fried steak. The food is great, John is friendly and his wife is a terrific cook. I'm a pretty big eater but I couldn't finish my meal. I suggested to John last time I was there that a good option would be biscuits with the steak, I would willingly pass on some of the side dishes for chicken fried steak and biscuits, a little bit of heaven on earth.

Is it me...or does it appear that the main critics on this thread are names who have just appeared on this forum.

Either new aliases because they are afraid to criticise under their usual name. ..or....newbies and the like who have never even been to the pun pun.

It would be nice for one of the camera critics to offer to take a few photos that do the food justice in return for a small beer. I bet John would be up for that.

We are in the same team guys....expats.

All comments are appreciated, those good and those less so.

So let me answer your question with the politeness with which I'm sure you made it.

My Target Audience obviously is the group that you are not in..... Really sorry about that, but you loose out by being in the wrong group, I guess .

"Point", was the pictures, can't say I won't try your food at some point but to the general public, think best to show something new & more healthy than the same of everywhere else.

Is it me...or does it appear that the main critics on this thread are names who have just appeared on this forum.

Either new aliases because they are afraid to criticise under their usual name. ..or....newbies and the like who have never even been to the pun pun.

It would be nice for one of the camera critics to offer to take a few photos that do the food justice in return for a small beer. I bet John would be up for that.

We are in the same team guys....expats.

You're quite right. It's you.

So let me answer your question with the politeness with which I'm sure you made it.

My Target Audience obviously is the group that you are not in..... Really sorry about that, but you loose out by being in the wrong group, I guess .

Well I guess I am in your target group since I do have a reservation per its proprietor at the Pun Pun guest house enjoying that restaurant as well as its hospitality in 11 days on April 7, John - or is this his wife or another associate posting under the Pun Pun? Nonetheless, it all looks quite tasty to me, given at this point I'm a bit concerned with contracting 'Bangkok Belly', or worse, Hepatitis A, at a sidewalk food cart after numerous bouts of Montezuma's revenge when traveling deep into Mexico.. Leaving me with the feeling I'll be eating in the Pun Pun restaurant more often than not while booked there for 9 days during Songkran.

Fortunately a NY hometown expat friend w/a house in Chiang Mai and a Thai wife temporarily here in Florida on giving me advice while visiting Chiang Mai, recommended the Electrolyte pictured saying: "At the first sign of diarrhea or stomach problems, Add the powder to a small bottle of water and drink it all. Your symptoms should be eliminated within an hour." I am not concerned about such stomach problems from eating at the Pun Pun though.. But will heed the advice given here on eating in Thailand.. IF you see me strolling down a Chiang Mai street or anywhere in Thailand, give me friendly wave and introduce yourself.. I'm an amiable guy.. Regards to all..

post-203574-0-95487100-1395919851.jpg

Well I guess I am in your target group since I do have a reservation per its proprietor at the Pun Pun guest house enjoying that restaurant as well as its hospitality in 11 days on April 7, John - or is this his wife or another associate posting under the Pun Pun? Nonetheless, it all looks quite tasty to me, given at this point I'm a bit concerned with contracting 'Bangkok Belly', or worse, Hepatitis A, at a sidewalk food cart after numerous bouts of Montezuma's revenge when traveling deep into Mexico.. Leaving me with the feeling I'll be eating in the Pun Pun restaurant more often than not while booked there for 9 days during Songkran.

Fortunately a NY hometown expat friend w/a house in Chiang Mai and a Thai wife temporarily here in Florida on giving me advice while visiting Chiang Mai, recommended the Electrolyte pictured saying: "At the first sign of diarrhea or stomach problems, Add the powder to a small bottle of water and drink it all. Your symptoms should be eliminated within an hour." I am not concerned about such stomach problems from eating at the Pun Pun though.. But will heed the advice given here on eating in Thailand.. IF you see me strolling down a Chiang Mai street or anywhere in Thailand, give me friendly wave and introduce yourself.. I'm an amiable guy.. Regards to all..

.... as I note you are on line now...... looking forward to your arrival GVR.

We will fill you up til there is no room for bad germs

J

..... and was very good to see J & G today for lunch....... away for far too long...

Edited by Gonzo the Face
  • Like 1

The point is....I look at those photos and think their food is <deleted>...so I will not go there.

If they were great shots of really good food, not something slapped together and some thought put into it...then I would give it a go when in the area.

Targeting groups that like crap looking food is not a great marketing strategy.

If you are staying at PunPun and eating there every day make sure your belt has a few spare holes and your trousers will stretch a bit.

Weight Watchers it is not....but I defy anyone not to enjoy his meals. Although a few may prefer to go to the other Pun Pun....they are the losers like people who criticise restaurants they have nev er eaten at.

• Like 2

As far as I know, the Pun Pun is the only place in town to get a chicken fried steak. The food is great, John is friendly and his wife is a terrific cook. I'm a pretty big eater but I couldn't finish my meal. I suggested to John last time I was there that a good option would be biscuits with the steak, I would willingly pass on some of the side dishes for chicken fried steak and biscuits, a little bit of heaven on earth.

Can someone from the US please tell me what 'biscuits'are. In the UK a biscuit is sweet, maybe what you call cookies?

Another TV sponsor who's restaurant we walk past daily has on offer 'biscuits and gravy' - to us Brits that's a cookie served with a sauce made from the juice of meat! Yuk!

• Like 1

May I suggest that Mr. Pun Pun adds prices to his dishes.

They look very nice, but I've never been (new to CM) and am very budget conscious.

Don't like to go to a new place, then suffer sticker shock and have to walk back out.

@ the OP

Chicken Superman looked good!

The second dish looked very much like Burmese Cow Soy, which I also enjoy.

More pictures with prices please, I just need that little extra push to come and look for myself.

@the complainers.

Nothing wrong with a bit of fried food, it all looked good to me.

If you have to worry about fats, go out and do a bit of exercise, it's soon gone.

Edited by BritManToo

Can someone from the US please tell me what 'biscuits'are.

They are something like scones, but not sweet in any way. You can eat them with butter or gravy if you want something savory or honey or jam if you want something sweet. They are one of the things that I miss most when it come to American food. Some places make them, but not very well. There is a Popeye's Chicken somewhere in Thailand that makes them and they are the best that I've had here.

buttermilk-biscuits-ck-1853981-l.jpg

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 2

May I suggest that Mr. Pun Pun adds prices to his dishes.

They look very nice, but I've never been (new to CM) and am very budget conscious.

Don't like to go to a new place, then suffer sticker shock and have to walk back out.

Don't worry, you won't have sticker shock at Pun Pun, unless you are a balloon chaser and looking for something for nothing. smile.png

They are something like scones, but not sweet in any way. You can eat them with butter or gravy if you want something savory or honey or jam if you want something sweet. They are one of the things that I miss most when it come to American food. Some places make them, but not very well. There is a Popeye's Chicken somewhere in Thailand that makes them and they are the best that I've had here.

So they are sort of a damper but cooked in little disks inthe oven?

edited because I had thought they were frying pan things.

Edited by harrry

Thanks Ulysses. Never seen anything like that. So, what's gravy in the US? I suspect that's going to be different too.

Thanks Ulysses. Never seen anything like that. So, what's gravy in the US? I suspect that's going to be different too.

To me honest, I never had them with gravy in the US. That is kind of a redneck/country thing, but I love them with butter or honey. They use some kind of special gravy. I know that.

If you are staying at PunPun and eating there every day make sure your belt has a few spare holes and your trousers will stretch a bit.

Weight Watchers it is not....but I defy anyone not to enjoy his meals. Although a few may prefer to go to the other Pun Pun....they are the losers like people who criticise restaurants they have nev er eaten at.

Ha! Thanks Harry... Shouldn't have a problem though after just buying 2 light colored shorts with a 36" waist, even though I'm about a 33" now up from 30" a few months ago after loosing 40 lbs from hard labor for 6 months personally renovating an apt. building I bought here in Florida. But I like being back at the slender, fit weight of my 20s, so will try to stick to a vegetarian diet while there avoiding all red meat and likely shellfish as well.. My expat buddy w/a house in Chiang Mai from my NY hometown tells me the red meat tastes like a leather belt in Thailand anyways. I am heeding advice I read on packing light for Thailand with 1 carry on baggage and 1 'personal item' carry on even though there for full 30 day tourist visa.. Can always check added baggage for Thai bought items on return..