North Korea: Students required to get Kim Jong-un haircut

Lite Beer

Last week went to my barber and jokingly asked about getting fearless leaders haircut. He had no idea who I was talking about.

Lucky escape mate you could have ended up with a Gary Glitter

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Let's not ruin a good knocking story about a regime we don't like with the facts, eh? The first paragraph of the story says students are "required" to get the same haircut as their country's leader.

Later, the article admits the requirement is actually only "a guideline", which is hardly the same thing.

Later still, if one takes the trouble to read the rest of the BBC's latest piece of distorted anti-North Korea propaganda, we learn there are actually ten hairstyles from which male university students can choose - with girls having a choice of 18..

That's a lot more than are permitted in equivalent educational establishments in Thailand and many other so-called democratic countries. It also seems to indicate that the esteemed North Korean leader, as well as being an icon of male fashion, is also something of a feminist!

My daughter would give her eye teeth to be able to choose ANY hairstyle other than the ridiculously short and ugly bob she is forced to endure as a condition of attendance at her Thai secondary school.

Although i agree that most stuff we read about N Korea is probably nearly ad much propagandized as what N Koreans read about the West, you are misstaken regarding the haircut in Thailand since last year.
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/610792-thai-ministry-cuts-5cm-rule-on-schoolboys-hair-length/

Have a chat with the school...

Despite rules/laws being brought in to say a school cannot dictate hair styles any longer, in many towns there are the top schools which are either private or a mix of Gov/Private funding. If you want your child to continue attending the kids have to fall in line with what the Director/owner says. If said owner is in their 60's and 70's as most of them seem to be, then it is traditional hairstyles for school or if you dont like it ....go to another school. They care not for the law. Even if you took them to court and got permission for your child to wear their hair how they please in accordance with the law, the school will simply find a way for your child to be removed from school. They will 'fail exams', fail 'classroom discipline' etc etc etc or they will be relentlessly picked on and life made miserable. So unfortunately it is tough, like it or leave. Sad really. One teacher told me they are trying as hard as possible to make the girls look unattractive so that they do not become a distraction to the boys and they can therefore all concentrate on their work blink.png

I think most of the lawsuits about what kids can wear, including hairstyles, come from issues with the parents rather than the kids.

This story is interesting and symptomatic of the god-cult of leaders, but really the country has much more serious issues that haircuts.

Edited by Credo

• 2 weeks later...