New to Thailand - suffering from constipation (no poop)

dvir0776

Hi, 20 year old arrived in Thailand exactly a month ago, gonna stay another month I think.

Love eating Thai food but I naturally never have to take a dump around here.

Last time it was 6 days (!!!) before I had to take a dump,which made me worried.

What I did was buy coco, coffee and drink a ton and it worked, but I felt sick for 90 min and spent tons of time in bathroom.

My question to you is what do I do? I'm not sure how to change my diet here and what to eat.

Please share from your own experience!

Thank you so much!

Dvir

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

more fruits, vegetables, dark bread, musli, leave out the junk white rice, there is rice with fibers (don't know the english word).

more walking also helps.

For most people eating very spicy gives immediately often unwanted results....

Or 2 packs of Fishermans friends cherry also gives fast (unwanted) results for me.

Prunes are great. Raw tamarind works just as well and is still in season. Don't buy the kind in the supermarket loaded with refined sugar; go to a local market and there should be a seller. As with prunes, just a few pods are all you need.

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=tamarind&client=firefox-a&hs=wEW&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=vlY1U8WhHObUigfepoGIBQ&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1110&bih=593&dpr=1.5

Fermented foods such as sauerkraut, kimchi and local Thai versions are loaded with probiotics and even a substance that promotes peristalsis. Bread can be a problem for me but I agree with H90's input. Eating whole fruit and veggies can do wonders. In my opinion, running fruit and veggies through a blender can destroy the fiber, but I have no proof. Good luck. And I don't know why, but Indian food tends to make my colon come to a halt.

Edit: With fermented foods, be sure to buy ones that haven't been pasteurized because kills the beneficial organisms. That means locally produced ones because large companies have to pasteurize foods for standardization and long shelf life.

Edited by Somnambulist

Prunes are great. Raw tamarind works just as well and is still in season. Don't buy the kind in the supermarket loaded with refined sugar; go to a local market and there should be a seller. As with prunes, just a few pods are all you need.

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=tamarind&client=firefox-a&hs=wEW&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=vlY1U8WhHObUigfepoGIBQ&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1110&bih=593&dpr=1.5

Fermented foods such as sauerkraut, kimchi and local Thai versions are loaded with probiotics and even a substance that promotes peristalsis. Bread can be a problem for me but I agree with H90's input. Eating whole fruit and veggies can do wonders. In my opinion, running fruit and veggies through a blender can destroy the fiber, but I have no proof. Good luck. And I don't know why, but Indian food tends to make my colon come to a halt.

Edit: With fermented foods, be sure to buy ones that haven't been pasteurized because kills the beneficial organisms. That means locally produced ones because large companies have to pasteurize foods for standardization and long shelf life.

There is German Sauerkraut in some supermarkets.....I guess not everyone will like it...

There are also fermented Salzgurken (salt cucumber????) from Germany in supermarket (they are extreme salty so if you don't drink enough they might make the problem bigger).

You should also drink plenty of water, make sure you always carry one of these plastic bottles, you can buy everywhere, with you.

Try to drink about 2L plain water during the day.

Well and hour or two without water isn't a problem if the over all amount is OK. So no need to look like an idiot having a water bottle in the hand all the time....

Attention: when being active in the hot March/April weather may need a lot more water than 2 liter, as you sweat a lot.

And of course it doesn't need to be plain water....any liquid will do, beside alcohol dehydrate the body so not the best choice. And drinking 2-3 liter of sugar loaded soft drink isn't healthy but still gives you the liquid you need.

• Like 2

Just eat street food from the dodgiest looking cart you can find. Have a good sleep, and your bowels will awaken you with some urgency at approximately 6:30am the following morning. Sorted thumbsup.gif

He want to poop not to die.....But your solution will fix the constipation for at least 1 week....

• Like 2

Just eat street food from the dodgiest looking cart you can find. Have a good sleep, and your bowels will awaken you with some urgency at approximately 6:30am the following morning. Sorted thumbsup.gif

He want to poop not to die.....But your solution will fix the constipation for at least 1 week....

Yeah, I've never heard of anybody having constipation in Thailand - virtually unheard of. If the OP wants to be double sure of sorting the problem, have a fix of som-tam with the pickled fish (bpa-laa) and the bashed up black crab with the street food.

Op - the antidote when you do get the desired result is available at all pharmacies. Just walk in (assuming you can get that far) holding your stomach. No need for words, they'll see from the green look on your face sick.gif.pagespeed.ce.tVTSNn-2vr.png and sell you imodium or similar. smile.png

• Like 2

There is German Sauerkraut in some supermarkets.....I guess not everyone will like it...

There are also fermented Salzgurken (salt cucumber????) from Germany in supermarket (they are extreme salty so if you don't drink enough they might make the problem bigger).

A friend once served me some made in Germany sauerkraut here and it was delicious but definitely cooked so forget about probiotic benefits. What they do is cook it, which kills but stabilizes it for shelf life, then add lactic acid to make it taste fermented again but it definitely tastes different. In Chiang Mai there's a local brand, Howie's, that tastes and works just like the kraut I make at home.

A friend once served me some made in Germany sauerkraut here and it was delicious but definitely cooked so forget about probiotic benefits. What they do is cook it, which kills but stabilizes it for shelf life, then add lactic acid to make it taste fermented again but it definitely tastes different. In Chiang Mai there's a local brand, Howie's, that tastes and works just like the kraut I make at home.

Back in Austria was a market with a guy who sell natural Sauerkraut and the salted cucumber, fresh.

But real Sauerkraut, without sweetener without cooking is a challenge. I can try it and appreciate the quality but eating it in quantity? No

But even cooked it is good food.

BTW and off topic: If you buy an 100% orange juice in supermarket. It comes from concentrate which is difficult process. Most probably it will be 105%. Most probably they add 1-3% of the oil from the outside skin of the orange. The Vitamin C in the orange juice was destroyed and later added artificial Vitamin C (doesn't need to be declared).

Just as an example how an cooked SK is still better than processed products.

More roughage. Thai food often doesn't have much veg. So order a PLATE of veg. White rice is not great for your situation. Interestingly recently I ate a good portion of that cheap fake dried out chicken slice that so many Thai restaurants sadly use now (not natural chicken, it's processed in some horrifying way). I think it temporarily stopped me up .. that might a clue if you're eating a lot of "chicken" at cheap Thai restaurants. If the chicken slices look all the same, it's that fake stuff ...

Edited by Jingthing

1. drink water, lots of it and avoid coffee, it dries out your .... crap

2. eat fruits but not banana

3. eat a bag of tamarind, it's the right season. that's a great laxative.

if the above doesn't help eat RAW HOI (shellfish) ... oh boy, u will have loads of fun with that!

Eat daily at least one portion/dish of "Morning Glory" with 'Ning-Noy' oil. Chinese Kale the second half or 1st half of the day will mix it up. Limit the spicy to medium or "little bit". Papaya Salad for breakfast, a meat dish for lunch & one of the very wonderful Thai vegetable soups for dinner. Don't eat vegetables & fruit in the same serving & never eat 3 hours before sleep. Also do not, if you smoke, smoke the Thai cigarettes. And better to also avoid all Thai manufactured beer - Chang, Sing, Leo, Heineken...Tiger seems to be okay.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Yeah, I've never heard of anybody having constipation in Thailand - virtually unheard of. If the OP wants to be double sure of sorting the problem, have a fix of som-tam with the pickled fish (bpa-laa) and the bashed up black crab with the street food.

Op - the antidote when you do get the desired result is available at all pharmacies. Just walk in (assuming you can get that far) holding your stomach. No need for words, they'll see from the green look on your face sick.gif.pagespeed.ce.tVTSNn-2vr.png and sell you imodium or similar. smile.png

"Yeah, I've never heard of anybody having constipation in Thailand - virtually unheard of. "

Not sure what sort of conversations you have,or with whom, when gathering your "data" and conclude something is unheard of (presumably it's the typical Thai Visa fabricated wisdom), but constipation exists here as it does anywhere. Fairly brisk sales of Mucilin will attest to that. Not everyone who eats Thai food, no matter how spicy or where it's prepared, suffers from the Gastro-Intestinal Two Step.

"Op - the antidote when you do get the desired result is available at all pharmacies. Just walk in (assuming you can get that far) holding your stomach. No need for words, they'll see from the green look on your face sick.gif.pagespeed.ce.tVTSNn-2vr.png and sell you imodium or similar"

Imodium is not a cure or useful "antidote" for diarrhea, it's just a chemical cork used to plug a leak and can be counterproductive if your body is attempting to rid itself of the cause of the problem. You don't want to start bouncing back and forth from constipation to diarrhea. Better to use a rehydration mixture, maybe some GastroBismol and, if necessary, some Disento tablets.

Edited by Suradit69

All of the remedies suggested by the other members are basically a waste of time or take too much time to relieve you of constipation.

There is and always will be one simple, safe and very healthy way to relief yourself from constipation and it works every time and immediately, without fail.

Go to any drug store or pharmacy and purcahse one of the large sized, usually red color, rubber ball syringes normally used for babies to suck or draw out the mucous in a child's nose.

Fill it up with water and give yourself a rectal enema.

It may take 2 or 3 times squeezing the water up your rectum until you feel like your have to poop but guaranteed you will poop and poop out all of the waste in your anal canal.

And then do it again 2 or 3 times to completely clean out your rectum of all the waste fecal matter.

* This is absolutely safe and the healthiest way to relief yourself of constipation while it is also a healthy practice even when you are not constipated.

** If you are constipated all the time or on and off then there is more to the problem than just finding a way to relieve yourself of constipation...but when you do have constipation, a rectal enema is the simplest and most effective way to relieve yourself.

Edited by gemguy

Enemas are OK occasionally, but it's dangerous to become DEPENDENT on them.

Same difference with laxatives.

Also, that is treating the symptom, NOT the cause. Obviously, that is not the ideal.

The suggestions to change food intake are indeed the most sensible and healthy.

Also there is a wide range of "normal" frequency with such things.

If the situation is causing discomfort, then yes, it's a problem.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Can't understand the limit spicy advice. Also, recent researchrome has shown that whole wheat, partially milled rice, etc. is NOT better for you. The nutrients in white bread and white rice are more unavailable and lack the toxins and poisons that come with unmilled or partly milled grains. Ignore all the food and drink advice and pick up a bottle of meticulous or, even better, Miramax and drink adequate liquids. Be aware that travel can cause constipation for a while because once the stool closest to the point of exit becomes dry, it will stay that way. Sometimes you need a personally administered Fleets Enema to get the bottom of your colon clear. Personally, when eating Som Tam. I request the raw cabbage, beans and cucumber that comes with to increase my intake of non-harmful natural fiber.

If anyone is interested in the book about the hoax of unfilled/partially milled grains, I can send a link to the recently published book. We have been deceived about the danger of refined foods and fats.

Edited by DogNo1

All this conflicting advice is likely to change the OP's complaint from constipation to heartburn!

I think spicy food is stimulative for digestion, sometimes too much so.

I agree traveling and eating a very different diet than you're used to can change your output patterns ... in EITHER direction!