Innoculating the village dogs.

A while back there was a post on this where the local admin office sends someone round the village for 30 baht/dog. Well I thought I'd post a report on what I know and what little I've heard. Our 2 dogs are healthy. So the lady turned up and with her one needle vaccinated our 2 and our Burmese workers 2 dogs. Within days one of ours seemed to get a bit vague spent ages walking round in circles, but has now recovered. The other one vomited a lot, but is now ok. Our workers were not so lucky one of theirs has died, and the other is still very ill. My has told me there are at least 2 other dead dogs up the road from this carnage. Never again will I let them near any dog of ours.

doesnt sound like a problem from the needles but a reaction to the vaccine? although usually there is no reaction to the rabies vaccines some dogs do react to other vaccines...

its common practice mosha to use the same syringe and needle on multiple animals on a farm unless its a farm for selling milk etc. at least in israel, and most likely in the states as well in older poorer farms and u havent a clue as to what goes on in professional farms... or in stray dog clinics with limited supplies. and if both your dogs were healthy and the same needle was used, there shouldnt have been a problem. it really jsut sounds like something with the vaccines or a non related disease or poisoning (circles, vomiting)

we did and so the same: rabbits and ivermac = every three rabbits, new needle

goats+ same same, as amatter of fact if its the gov't its a shotgun injector so its the same needle and he just goes and garbs a goat, and zbang, into the side of the neck...

in good vets, its less usuall, but in our gov't rabies programs they also do the same thing, same needle until it doesnt go fast anymore (blunt)...

so it could ahve also been coincidence or could have been a bad batch, and then i would go and check the blood titre of your dogs' rabies vaccine level... much more important.

I inoculate all of our village dogs for rabies. They bring me the vaccine, it's free, I buy the syringes and needles. I usually buy a whole box of 24 gauge needles and use a new one for each dog but use the same syringe. The biggest problem is getting the Thais to hold their own dogs as many are afraid of them.

I'll admit this is the 1st time we've had trouble. We lost our older dogs last year, and these 2 are young, less than a year. I'll take 'em the 2 hour round trip into Ranong next time. Even though 1 is a poor traveler unless someone sits with her in the back.

What breed? What age?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Just your average dog. Momgrels. One thing I've not seen before though. When they are angry. Instead of the hairs down their spine rising. Behind their necks it's like a cape rises.

What breed? What age?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Just your average dog. Momgrels. One thing I've not seen before though. When they are angry. Instead of the hairs down their spine rising. Behind their necks it's like a cape rises.

We have a Bangkaew, when angry all her hair stanfs up like a cat

like i said, sounds more like either poison or disease, not a vaccine problme. just coincidence.

could be parvo? the dogs really stink from having bloody stools and will die without treatment (fluids and antibiotics for the secondary infections that follow )

how do u know they are in pain? if they are howling and acting wierd, than it could be distemper which looks a lot like rabies. first time i ever sau it was in israel, because back then noone ever vaccinated for anything but rabies, like in thailand....

it causes neurological rpblems and one of the problems is they howl and cry without stop, a few days even...

really? interesting... ive yet to hear anything like that? i wonder what that means? spoiled? (rabies vaccines usually have to be kept in coolers or cold; we even sent a transport once to ramalla and it had to go in a picnic cooler since it was summer here and hot, and everyone was all in a panic that it would be stuck at a road block in the sun and get hot.... it made it.

was the vaccine just a rabies vaccine? do u know what company it was (the vials have the brand name and number on a sticker on them, some vets peel the sticker off and put it on the card of the dog being vaccinated instead of handwriting the lot number and info on the card. even a govt vet here does that (even for the goats and donkeys that get rabies shots). so indeed if there is a problem the vaccine lot can be traced , like a call back on a car (or if an animal gets rabies, or is ill or whatever.)

if u got ahold of that company/lot number then u could, i guess, try to sue them maybe///

it may mean that u should get your dogs revaccinated for rabies at a good vet's office and see what vials he is using for the rabies vaccines. if they are the same, or the same lot numbers , refuse the vaccine.

i also know there are different brands of rabies vaccines here and my vets preferred some european brands to some other brands but cant remember the names....