Unhappy?

Scott

Oh in that case....

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=+gay+news

You are making it sound as if you haven't a clue where to get gay news other than here. You are being disingenuous in this regard. Perhaps we TV could just give you your own forum as you tend to overwhelm every topic with your incessant posting.

You've got that totally wrong. I KNOW there are MANY sources.

I have my own sources for gay news that I use and I was CURIOUS what specific source ToddWeston was referring to that HE uses. I wasn't being disingenuous in the slightest! I know he has different political bent than me so it would be interesting to me to know his primary source as it may give me more insight on his political bent. I am open to reading sources of different political bents -- that's how we learn.

I think your basic view of the forum has been well expressed now so good on you for expressing it.

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few years ago, I had the misfortune to get involved with the Mankind Project (MKP), which - in fairness - has a diverse membership of straight and gay men but I say "misfortune", because even though MKP is supposed to be about men living better lives, most of the meetings of my local chapter were about "logistics."

"Logistics," equated to "what we do next," (MKP employ carefully coded masculine language), and we spent more time arguing about logistics than actually doing or achieving anything. In my opinion the logistics conversations were posturing, nothing more, nothing less, and the posturing was all about who had the power, who was going to be left standing at the top of our particular local shit heap at the end of our next logistics discussion. It was exhausting.

After the best part of a year of this, I left, using "the law of two feet." They retaliated by taking me off their mailing lists. It was a mutually agreeable understanding.

I mention all this because in a way this particular conversation reminds me of my time in MKP. Any all-male gathering tends to fight it out to see who's in charge, (lots of posturing and preening), so I guess it's to be expected.

But I think this particular conversation is redundant - if individuals don't like the forum, they can also apply "the law of two feet," they don't need power brokers to decide it for them. There are heaps of dead internet groups out there, and they're dead not because someone actually decided to close them down, but because of the aforementioned "law of two feet." It's a natural, organic way of doing things.

For myself, I will probably stick around here as the observer I've always been, in part because doing so allows me to reminisce about my MKP days but without the pain of sitting for hours in some fly-blown, god-forsaken community meeting hall. And occasionally, there's treasure amongst all the in-fighting, at least enough to keep me looking from time to time. And maybe this forum can evolve into something better and more relevant than it is now.

• Like 2

as for so called "world news topics", each time something gay-related is posted there, it sparks shitloads of troll posts and other useless discussions. As sad as it sounds, many expats in Thailand still seem to have some issues with different sexual orientations than their own. On here, the bitching stays within the family at least.

• Like 1

There's a certain irony about some of the men who move to Thailand to escape from the 'politically correct' west complaining that gay men are offered a similar sort of tolerance.

That's an interesting statement.

First of all, I'm not really clear on exactly what you're saying.

The first part I get, the second part I don't really get what you're saying, seriously I don't, maybe I'm dense, so could you perhaps flesh out that thought for slow ones like myself?

As far as the first part, why do you assume that gay men move to Thailand to escape western PC?

That wasn't even one of the factors I even thought about when considering a move to Thailand, either way.

I have heard other people say that's why they moved to Thailand, yes I get that of course.

I wonder what percentage of gay men move to Thailand with that motivation.

Edited by Jingthing

There's a certain irony about some of the men who move to Thailand to escape from the 'politically correct' west complaining that gay men are offered a similar sort of tolerance.

That's an interesting statement.

First of all, I'm not really clear on exactly what you're saying.

The first part I get, the second part I don't really get what you're saying, seriously I don't, maybe I'm dense, so could you perhaps flesh out that thought for slow ones like myself?

As far as the first part, why do you assume that gay men move to Thailand to escape western PC?

That wasn't even one of the factors I even thought about when considering a move to Thailand, either way.

I have heard other people say that's why they moved to Thailand, yes I get that of course.

I wonder what percentage of gay men move to Thailand with that motivation.

As far as the first part I was talking about straight men who move to Thailand to escape PC not gay men. It was a reply to pxlgirl's "As sad as it sounds, many expats in Thailand still seem to have some issues with different sexual orientations than their own."

Let me tell you a little story. Once upon a time on soc.culture.thai there was a poster who was a Thai Ajahn. When presented with the notion that Thailand was considered to be a place of tolerance for gay people his reply was that it wasn't tolerant at all because if you were gay people gossiped about you behind your back. It had to be pointed out to him that you could be beaten up simply for being gay in the west before he understood the difference.

• Like 2

I doubt that any of them really left their home country because it was too PC. Many of them were miserable people in their home country and they are miserable people here. They aren't PC on the forum, but they get to be a little more PC in this sub-forum or they get a holiday.

• Like 1

I'm not a fan of PC, I think it's just a huge pile of bullshittery, doing a great job to cover up the real views and opinions that lets people get away with it. A PC phrase can sound as sweet as ice cream, but it doesn't mean it matches with the person's mind and their actual thoughts. Apart from that, we all know that keyboard warriors are much braver than they'd ever be in real life.

• Like 2

I'm not a fan of PC, I think it's just a huge pile of bullshittery, doing a great job to cover up the real views and opinions that lets people get away with it. A PC phrase can sound as sweet as ice cream, but it doesn't mean it matches with the person's mind and their actual thoughts. Apart from that, we all know that keyboard warriors are much braver than they'd ever be in real life.

Depends what kind of PC you're talking about. It it's the kind that makes some goon think twice about telling me I'm a f*cking poof that ought to have my head kicked in I'm all for it. They're the kind of actual thoughts I'm not interested in.

Depends what kind of PC you're talking about. It it's the kind that makes some goon think twice about telling me I'm a f*cking poof that ought to have my head kicked in I'm all for it. They're the kind of actual thoughts I'm not interested in.

There is a difference between being rude and disrespectful and being not PC.

There is a difference between being called a "f*cking poof" by a stranger in the street, and being called a poofta by my close friend from Australia. It always depends on who says it it what context.

I do believe that gays are homosexual, and that black people are black and not pigmentally advantaged. I think blind people are blind and not visually disadvantaged. I do think that a sign on a toilet door for the handicapped saying "cripples only" (seen that in Thailand) is not OK.

Common sense and some genuine respect for your fellow human beings does the trick.

There is a difference between being rude and disrespectful and being not PC.

There is a difference between being called a "f*cking poof" by a stranger in the street, and being called a poofta by my close friend from Australia. It always depends on who says it it what context.

You and I might think there's a difference but many of those who complain about PC think that not being able to tell nigger and poof jokes is PC.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

OK. I must say I am not happy about the piss poor participation of fellow gays here in the Gay In A Box thread. In my view, it shows a lack of humor and poor sportsmanship to not participate in it and do your part at least a little bit as a Gay In A Box. I realize that thread is kind of edgy but it's also been quite interesting to see what the straight folks ask. Certainly something new and different on this forum, more "free speech" than we usually get here unpleasant though some of it might be, so why (for the most part) haven't people participated and volunteered to be a Gay In a Box? This isn't so much an expression of not being happy with the gay forum but more like not being happy with the attitude of the "community" that exists (or doesn't exist) on the forum.

Edited by Jingthing

Will you allow me to add my 5 cents?

First, there have been posters saying that "if the ladies have their forum, we can have it too"... which seems to me completely incorrect to compare. Women have their special problems based on their sex, are in a minority as foreigners compared with foreign men, have issues with clothes sizes etc and when you look at the topics on the ladies forum, those topics clearly address living in Thailand.

The gay forum members gather here based on their sexual orientiation, but not really about the problems of living in Thailand. medical issues, clothes sizes etc are the same for straight, bisexual, homosexual men here in Thailand.

The majority of topics on this forum run about equal rights, about the situation of gay in various countries and I am sure are discussed on hundreds of other gay forums as well.

So the question JT asked is really what you gay members of TV must answer... do you really not have any specific topics concerning the gay lifestyle in Thailand with the exception of equal rights, that would be allowed to be posted here? If not, what use is that forum for you?

A question only you can answer for yourself.

First, there have been posters saying that "if the ladies have their forum, we can have it too"... which seems to me completely incorrect to compare. Women have their special problems based on their sex, are in a minority as foreigners compared with foreign men, have issues with clothes sizes etc and when you look at the topics on the ladies forum, those topics clearly address living in Thailand.

The gay forum members gather here based on their sexual orientiation, but not really about the problems of living in Thailand. medical issues, clothes sizes etc are the same for straight, bisexual, homosexual men here in Thailand.

The majority of topics on this forum run about equal rights, about the situation of gay in various countries and I am sure are discussed on hundreds of other gay forums as well.

So the question JT asked is really what you gay members of TV must answer... do you really not have any specific topics concerning the gay lifestyle in Thailand with the exception of equal rights, that would be allowed to be posted here? If not, what use is that forum for you?

We have a gay forum which we use within the rules set down by Thaivisa. If you want a 'straight' forum ask George.

• Like 1

We have a gay forum which we use within the rules set down by Thaivisa. If you want a 'straight' forum ask George.

I think you misunderstood my comments. I did neither want to criticize the existence of this forum nor question it's value. I do read here from time to time and post very infrequently, when I think I have some thoughts of value to add like:

- why I think this forum can not be compared with the ladies forum

- what I think could add further value to this forum (i.e. find common gay lifestyle topics concerning Thailand)

That is all, neither as a critic nor as an attack, but rather supportive. sorry if my comments could be read different.

I think you misunderstood my comments. I did neither want to criticize the existence of this forum nor question it's value. I do read here from time to time and post very infrequently, when I think I have some thoughts of value to add like:

- what I think could add further value to this forum (i.e. find common gay lifestyle topics concerning Thailand)

That is all, neither as a critic nor as an attack, but rather supportive. sorry if my comments could be read different.

My apologies if I offended you. One of the main reasons the gay forum exists is as a safe place where gay folks can post without constantly having to explain or defend themselves from the less tolerant amongst us.

There are other gay Thailand forums available but they tend to revolve around who's shagging who and where can you get a cheap boy for the night. We like to think we're a little more refined biggrin.png

My apologies if I offended you. One of the main reasons the gay forum exists is as a safe place where gay folks can post without constantly having to explain or defend themselves from the less tolerant amongst us.

There are other gay Thailand forums available but they tend to revolve around who's shagging who and where can you get a cheap boy for the night. We like to think we're a little more refined biggrin.png

sustento, nice effort. But I don't think a straight guy can understanding this.

if some goon trys that on,me he better have a gun and use it coz I am the poif that will do the bashing if threatened physically

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

Well I must say I'm surprised that the box thread had the reaction it did, it clearly shows some of the posters asking questions have a great sense of humour and I would encourage them to post fresh new topics in the gay forum that are open for discussion. It will certainly make the place much more exciting than the same ole same ole, previously they were told where the door was and it was embarassing.

As for my lack of posting, frankly the format and concept was against forum rules with one answer by one member so I chose not to participate. I also sensed after seeing the first few pages of responses it was clear we would be seen as a court jesters which offended me. If a black or Asian were to have followed the same format with the same type of answers to questions, such as, do you eat watermelon or fried chicken and then to have responded Yessm Sir, it would have been closed down within seconds.

Some of the repsonses were absolutely out of order & I do hope new threads will be started to address the offensive & degrading remarks.

Until then I'm hoping it simply fades away.

The format is not against forum rules. There are other examples of threads with SUGGESTED formal formats, such as the word association thread. I agree that topics raised in the Gay in a Box thread that people wish to EXPAND on are certainly WELCOME to be expanded upon on either new or existing threads on gay forum. All people are welcome on the gay forum but of course hate speech against gays is NOT welcome.

Most likely like most all threads, the Gay in a Box thread has a limited life span just because it will probably either become BORING or go totally off the rails and need to be closed. On the other hand, who knows, maybe it will have resonance and last a long time. In life, we can't always predict the future.

Edited by Jingthing

Just for the record, the thread was reviewed by Admin and it was put in as a featured thread in the newsletter. I am assuming that if it broke any rules, it would have been closed. Although some posts had to be removed for various reasons, no one was given a warning for not following the rules of that particular thread.

I thought the gay forum was a place where we didn't need to defend or explain ourselves? Really? Here are a few of the questions that were asked and which are still available in the thread.

"Bit of a gross question but serious nonetheless.

How do you prevent things from becoming a mess when having anal sex.
Take a dump first, or lights out, or special soap??
Are gays as a group more inclined towards other forms of sexual deviance such as necrophilia and bestiality?
A sniffing drug used for loosening your ring piece
Do gay men like bum guns with extra pressure?
Here's one,
Does it hurt your bum?
Doesn't it get messy down there ?
Is it safe to eat cucumber in a restaurant with a gay chef?
When two gay guys are having sex, is it true that when the bottom farts the top explodes?
What percentage of serious crime is committed by lonely gays just so they can get bummed in prison?
Is it true about pineapple juice and cum ?.....does it really taste good, or is it one of those just shut your eyes and swallow your medicine moments.
Is it true that gays, who have spontaneous sex in male toilets with strangers, like the smell of feces?"

I thought the gay forum was a place where we didn't need to defend or explain ourselves? Really? Here are a few of the questions that were asked and which are still available in the thread.

"Bit of a gross question but serious nonetheless.

How do you prevent things from becoming a mess when having anal sex.
Take a dump first, or lights out, or special soap??
Are gays as a group more inclined towards other forms of sexual deviance such as necrophilia and bestiality?
A sniffing drug used for loosening your ring piece
Do gay men like bum guns with extra pressure?
Here's one,
Does it hurt your bum?
Doesn't it get messy down there ?
Is it safe to eat cucumber in a restaurant with a gay chef?
When two gay guys are having sex, is it true that when the bottom farts the top explodes?
What percentage of serious crime is committed by lonely gays just so they can get bummed in prison?
Is it true about pineapple juice and cum ?.....does it really taste good, or is it one of those just shut your eyes and swallow your medicine moments.
Is it true that gays, who have spontaneous sex in male toilets with strangers, like the smell of feces?"

I'm not participating in the Box thread, because I agree with you: In the gay forum I don't see a need to be in the defensive.

As for educating the public: I have fought my fight. I'll now leave it up to the next generation.

• Like 1

I never browse particular forums as I always go straight to the unread or participated forums. If something peaks my interest I comment.

Thank you for your comment. As this is the gay forum, kindly advise whether you are gay.