Sunset for Sunrise Tacos

BugJackBaron

The owner of the old Sunrise Tacos has re-branded the restaurant and it is now called Subs n Steaks. Just opened. Menu is standard fare; soups, salad, pasta, burgers, etc., but they offer sub sandwiches and steaks with both local beef and imported Canadian black Angus (and an angus burger too). Picture menus, no Russian. New color scheme on walls and seats but the layout is pretty much the same.

That'll probably work here. Sounds easier to handle than Mexican food. Best of luck to the new venture! For those who want a "taste of Sunrise" that new Mexican place on Soi Buakhao can provide mas o menos.

They are anti-Thai Visa and anti-free speech so I wouldn't go about giving them any more free publicity. In fact, it almost makes me want to see them fail...decent food or not.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The owner of the old Sunrise Tacos has re-branded the restaurant and it is now called Subs n Steaks. Just opened. Menu is standard fare; soups, salad, pasta, burgers, etc., but they offer sub sandwiches and steaks with both local beef and imported Canadian black Angus (and an angus burger too). Picture menus, no Russian. New color scheme on walls and seats but the layout is pretty much the same.

That'll probably work here. Sounds easier to handle than Mexican food. Best of luck to the new venture! For those who want a "taste of Sunrise" that new Mexican place on Soi Buakhao can provide mas o menos.

They are anti-Thai Visa and anti-free speech so I wouldn't go about giving them any more free publicity. In fact, it almost makes me want to see them fail...decent food or not.

Some people don't appreciate what a monumental effort it take to set up and run a business in Thailand.

I've met the hard working Gil and his beautiful wife and kids. What a lovely family.

I'll be stopping in today to support the new effort.

Some people don't appreciate what a monumental effort it take to set up and run a business in Thailand.

I've met the hard working Gil and his beautiful wife and kids. What a lovely family.

I'll be stopping in today to support the new effort.

I guess I didn't make myself clear, my post was in reference to JT's reference to the place on Bua Khow and not the new subs and steaks venture. Edited by OMGImInPattaya

The place was too expensive. I don't want to drop 300 baht on lunch.

We need a good taco stand that serves up a proper carnitas burrito at Donner Kabob prices.

300 Baht is expensive? I seem to be unable to get a lunch in Pattaya for that.

Then Kiss Restaurant is going to save you a fortune. Probably the most popular resto in Pattaya except for Took Lae Dee in Foodland.

I have been to Kiss and thought the food was exactly what I expected for the price (and for a restaurant full of Russians).

I am far from rich but when in Pattaya I like to try some of the better restaurants and avoid food courts and malls. Like any hobby, I am willing to spend a little on my hobby: food and drink. Incidentally, the best restaurant during my last visit a week ago was Indian by Nature. Outstanding, and cheap for what you get.[/quote

I second that. Some of the best Indian food I have eaten in a 5 star environment.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You wish them to fail because they think TV sucks ?

Gee wiz, you're a top bloke.

I might have to go eat there next time in town to support their business strategy.

Most anyone anti TV has a good reason....what with their pro support of various suspect individuals.

• Like 1

My heart bleeds for them all. If they dont like running a business in Thailand maybe they should try it in Europe where they have real laws to obey, real social security, real taxes, real wages to pay etc.

Most farangs who try to start and run a business in Thailand do so because they just couldn't cut it at home and find it easier to do it here. And yet still many of them fail.

• Like 2

I dont need to start a business here because I had a couple of very successful ones in Europe that enabled me to retire at 50. For competent and hard-working people the possibilities are still there in Europe, without needing to do anything illegal or immoral.

There is no way I would ever get involved with any business venture in Thailand. Far too many people here after a quick buck for my taste. Far too many crooks here also (of all nationalities). But those who cant cut it in Europe can still try here, and indeed they do.

• Like 2

I need some clarification.

First. You say it's easier to start a business here but later admit you have no experience.

Second. You go on to say you have retired early from running a couple of VERY successful business in Europe but you whing on and on about the price of drinking water in the 'cheap charlie' thread.

Funny.

One post removed

11) Do not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

I really hope the new place works out, and for three reasons: 1) I love hamburgers and have not eaten one in decades that is decent--at least not in Thailand (correction, Dukes does make a fairly good hamburger); 2) I love "subs" and have never found a place that makes good ones (hopefully it is not a Subway-like place); 3) the location is convenient for me. Canadian Black Angus is an escellent choice.....wonder what the prices are like.

Good luck to them, but if they are keeping the same staff they may have problems.

I would have gone for a cheapish diner style of place, food cooked in front of you sort of like the Foodland place, maybe attract the girls that work in the area when they finish

I was hoping it was going to turn into a 7/11 as there is not one for 100 meters

Edited by bartender100
  • Like 1

I really hope the new place works out, and for three reasons: 1) I love hamburgers and have not eaten one in decades that is decent--at least not in Thailand (correction, Dukes does make a fairly good hamburger); 2) I love "subs" and have never found a place that makes good ones (hopefully it is not a Subway-like place); 3) the location is convenient for me. Canadian Black Angus is an escellent choice.....wonder what the prices are like.

1. I agree although I've had excellent burgers in Bangkok at just a few premium locations.

2. The subs are ordered off the menu and not prepared in front of you like Subway.

3. Speaking for myself, I like the menu choices, nice mix with varying prices. The Angus burger was 195 I recall with steaks running from 350 to 900 (imported Canadian black Angus ribeye and tenderloin).

1. I agree although I've had excellent burgers in Bangkok at just a few premium locations.

2. The subs are ordered off the menu and not prepared in front of you like Subway.

3. Speaking for myself, I like the menu choices, nice mix with varying prices. The Angus burger was 195 I recall with steaks running from 350 to 900 (imported Canadian black Angus ribeye and tenderloin).

Do they have ++?

I checked out the menu last night as I was passing, looks good, nice price and no ++. Drinks were priced reasonable as well, with a happy hour thrown in as well

Good to hear no ++ Will ty. I ate at ST and the food was ok, but the menu prices were a little high with out the vat and service. I believe the ++ was the reason ST failed. Can' .t think of any restaurants that charge ++ other than a few hotel restaurants.

I had the angus burger, nachos and a soda. 195,80 and 40 baht respectively. The food was pretty good, they have new chefs. 7% VAT was added to the bill, service was not included. Can't think of a better burger in this area, quite tasty but overcooked for my personal taste.

I tried the burger. It was huge. The bread was great. I think the burger could be greatly improved if the meat was not ground so fine. A very coarse grind is better for most burger lovers. It also helps to add onion-garlic salt and black pepper to the meat prior to grilling. Also, I am no fan of french fries and would like to see some alternative, such as potato salad, baked beans or small salad. No baked potato on the menu? If I order a steak I want a baked potato with it, not french fries. I think that should be changed. I would settle for a microwaved baked potato, anything but french fries. I am looking forward to trying the subs. My guess is that the new place will attract more people than the old one, especially Russians who probably are familiar with burgers, subs and steaks.

• Like 1

Great points. Hopefully the management is listening. Totally agree on the grind, that the meat NEEDS to be SEASONED, and a choice other than fries. Sounds like they are "keeping it simple" which is good up to a point, but that sounds TOO simple. Restaurants need to put themselves in the shoes of customers, and yes they want SOME choices.

Edited by Jingthing

I tried the burger. It was huge. The bread was great. I think the burger could be greatly improved if the meat was not ground so fine. A very coarse grind is better for most burger lovers. It also helps to add onion-garlic salt and black pepper to the meat prior to grilling. Also, I am no fan of french fries and would like to see some alternative, such as potato salad, baked beans or small salad. No baked potato on the menu? If I order a steak I want a baked potato with it, not french fries. I think that should be changed. I would settle for a microwaved baked potato, anything but french fries. I am looking forward to trying the subs. My guess is that the new place will attract more people than the old one, especially Russians who probably are familiar with burgers, subs and steaks.

Yeah, because they're such staple Russian comfort foods.

Here is an actual image of what happened when McDonald's opened in Moscow:

post-110622-0-38150400-1397547950_thumb.

19.jpg

So if Gil just copycats a Big Mac on his menu he should have it made!

19.jpg

No, I am afraid that if he really wants to make Russians drool he will have to put slices of this purple thing on the burger:

post-110622-0-64420000-1397555221_thumb.

19.jpg

No, I am afraid that if he really wants to make Russians drool he will have to put slices of this purple thing on the burger:

beets.JPG

I love red onions on a burger...I'm there ;)

Edited by OMGImInPattaya