Sunset for Sunrise Tacos

BugJackBaron

I tried the burger. It was huge. The bread was great. I think the burger could be greatly improved if the meat was not ground so fine. A very coarse grind is better for most burger lovers. It also helps to add onion-garlic salt and black pepper to the meat prior to grilling. Also, I am no fan of french fries and would like to see some alternative, such as potato salad, baked beans or small salad. No baked potato on the menu? If I order a steak I want a baked potato with it, not french fries. I think that should be changed. I would settle for a microwaved baked potato, anything but french fries. I am looking forward to trying the subs. My guess is that the new place will attract more people than the old one, especially Russians who probably are familiar with burgers, subs and steaks.
Yeah, because they're such staple Russian comfort foods.

Here is an actual image of what happened when McDonald's opened in Moscow:

19.jpg

So if Gil just copycats a Big Mac on his menu he should have it made!

No, I am afraid that if he really wants to make Russians drool he will have to put slices of this purple thing on the burger:

attachicon.gifbeets.JPG

Beetroot on the burgers will have the Aussies happy !!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried the burger. It was huge. The bread was great. I think the burger could be greatly improved if the meat was not ground so fine. A very coarse grind is better for most burger lovers. It also helps to add onion-garlic salt and black pepper to the meat prior to grilling. Also, I am no fan of french fries and would like to see some alternative, such as potato salad, baked beans or small salad. No baked potato on the menu? If I order a steak I want a baked potato with it, not french fries. I think that should be changed. I would settle for a microwaved baked potato, anything but french fries. I am looking forward to trying the subs. My guess is that the new place will attract more people than the old one, especially Russians who probably are familiar with burgers, subs and steaks.
Yeah, because they're such staple Russian comfort foods.

Here is an actual image of what happened when McDonald's opened in Moscow:

19.jpg

So if Gil just copycats a Big Mac on his menu he should have it made!

No, I am afraid that if he really wants to make Russians drool he will have to put slices of this purple thing on the burger:

attachicon.gifbeets.JPG

Beetroot on the burgers will have the Aussies happy !!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Now you are thinking: two international market niches with one red beet, and beets are cheap. Seriously, as an "option" it might work for Russians. I hate beets, but nobody cares. The Russians have invaded. There is probably some kind of mushy, disgusting red beet sauce that they love on burgers. That would make me puke, but if the cash register is ringing, so be it. Happy Songkran.

I would be very surprised if Gil will go out of the way to accommodate Russian tastes. The menu is international with an emphasis on American tastes. There is a specialty Thai cook with typical Thai favorites on the menu, there currently is no Russian language on the menu.

UPDATE: The Sub n Steak joint seems to be open. I saw a couple dining inside and there is a menu outside the door.

I have to give them credit for at least putting appealing pictures in the menu. That may make up a bit for the

lack of Russian.

Anyone want to go first and review it?

One thing that I didn't see was any mention of VAT in the menu so it's inclusion or lack of is still a mystery.

Edited by BugJackBaron

UPDATE: The Sub n Steak joint seems to be open. I saw a couple dining inside and there is a menu outside the door.

I have to give them credit for at least putting appealing pictures in the menu. That may make up a bit for the

lack of Russian.

Anyone want to go first and review it?

One thing that I didn't see was any mention of VAT in the menu so it's inclusion or lack of is still a mystery.

No mystery on the VAT, see posts 76,80-82 and more discussion on the Restaurant Review thread. In summary, VAT is added but no service charge is added. Most comments seem positive about this new venue especially the menu choices. I overstated the price of the imported steaks previously, the maximum for the Canadian black angus is 790 and not 900. You get one choice for a side. The local beef is much cheaper.

The sandwich scene in Jomtien is improving.

I tried the cheese steak sandwich at Subs & Steaks. They bake their own bread I'm told.

Very good.

I will give mention to LeMerenda Italian restaurant, to the sandwich lovers here. They also make their own bread.

Soon, Jomtien will have another place for excellent sandwiches when LaBaguette opens on the hill next to the courthouse.

Any others worth a mention?

Perhaps the new place POMMES next to the old Continental on Thapraya as they've got a menu selection of Mediterranean style panini.

I hope so. I am quite disappointed that they have yet to do any of the waffles or pancakes

beautifully pictured in the menu.

Come on guys, if you don't make it, don't advertise it!

Perhaps the new place POMMES next to the old Continental on Thapraya as they've got a menu selection of Mediterranean style panini.

I hope so. I am quite disappointed that they have yet to do any of the waffles or pancakes

beautifully pictured in the menu.

Come on guys, if you don't make it, don't advertise it!

That's good information. Starting a new restaurant is certainly a challenge!

And the 'drinking water smugglers' will be pleased to learn Pomme serves a small glass of complimentary water.

• Like 2

No service charge included. What does that mean? He does not pay his staff or you are expected to pay extra if they cook your burger for you and bring it to the table.whistling.gifcheesy.gif

• Like 1

No service charge included. What does that mean? He does not pay his staff or you are expected to pay extra if they cook your burger for you and bring it to the table.whistling.gifcheesy.gif

I was in Bangkok over the recent holiday here and every restaurant I dined added 10% service charge and then the 7 VAT. This is not uncommon in large tourists destinations worldwide. It was the policy of the old Sunrise Tacos but now only the the VAT is added at Subs n Steaks. I leave at least a 10% tip but what you leave or don't leave is your discretion.

I was in Bangkok over the recent holiday here and every restaurant I dined added 10% service charge and then the 7 VAT. This is not uncommon in large tourists destinations worldwide. It was the policy of the old Sunrise Tacos but now only the the VAT is added at Subs n Steaks. I leave at least a 10% tip but what you leave or don't leave is your discretion.

Why not include the 7% vat in the menu price?

Because not including it makes the menu prices appear to be lower than they really are, thus possibly deceiving the uninformed into eating there. Is that dishonest? Of course it is.

The same applies to any obligatory charge/tax/addition.

Absolutely and completely rediculous! Provided that it is clearly and conspicuously stated that a charge of 7% for VAT will be added to the check there is nothing dishonest (or unethical) about showing prices in the menu that do not include VAT. Anyone except the mentally infirm can calculate and add the approximate VAT charge mentally before deciding to eat in a restaurant that does not include VAT in the menu prices and when deciding what to order. All that is required is that diners be told clearly in advance that VAT is not included in the prices shown -- full stop. And, in the worst case, we're talking about an additional 7%, which is hardly the basis for deciding to eat in a particular restaurant or not. On a B1000 bill, the bill would be increased by B70 due to VAT -- if you are that easily deceived or that concerned about paying an additional 7% if you fail to notice the warning about VAT being added, you should not be eating in restaurants. If I was a restauranteur, I would want my customers to know how much I was charging for a meal and not have that inflated by VAT -- let them see clearly and separately the government's take. In the US, sales tax is always added to the price at the time of sale, it is never included in the price, as it should be -- it is too easy to forget/ignore the effect of tax on purchases when it is buried in the price. It should always be separate so we see and remember that the government's hand is always in our pocket.

I do object to a restaurant taking what should be a discretionary charge (a tip or service charge) and making it obligatory -- that, IMHO, is wrong and defeats the purpose of the "tip" -- to motivate good service. I try to avoid restaurants that do that, but in every case the amount added to the bill is netted out of what I would have left as a tip. The problem comes, of course, when service is poor and I would not have left a tip or I would have left a tip of less than 10% (assuming that is what they add to the bill). And there have been a few occasions where i did not notice that a service charge was included in the bill and left a generous tip -- my mistake, I can live with it. It is in my view, a bad business management technique, but dishonest? As long as I am told up front that a service charge of x% will be added to the bill, absolutely not. You really do need to grow up.....

Because not including it makes the menu prices appear to be lower than they really are, thus possibly deceiving the uninformed into eating there. Is that dishonest? Of course it is.

Absolutely and completely rediculous! Provided that it is clearly and conspicuously stated that a charge of 7% for VAT will be added to the check there is nothing dishonest (or unethical) about showing prices in the menu that do not include VAT. Anyone except the mentally infirm can calculate and add the approximate VAT charge mentally before deciding to eat in a restaurant that does not include VAT in the menu prices and when deciding what to order.

And of course that's why civilised countries went to the trouble of banning the practice, for shops, restaurants, airlines, you name it.

If the additional charge/tax/fee is obligatory then there can be no valid reason not to include it in the advertised price. Anything less is simple deceit.

Absolutely and completely rediculous! Provided that it is clearly and conspicuously stated that a charge of 7% for VAT will be added to the check there is nothing dishonest (or unethical) about showing prices in the menu that do not include VAT. Anyone except the mentally infirm can calculate and add the approximate VAT charge mentally before deciding to eat in a restaurant that does not include VAT in the menu prices and when deciding what to order. All that is required is that diners be told clearly in advance that VAT is not included in the prices shown -- full stop. And, in the worst case, we're talking about an additional 7%, which is hardly the basis for deciding to eat in a particular restaurant or not. On a B1000 bill, the bill would be increased by B70 due to VAT -- if you are that easily deceived or that concerned about paying an additional 7% if you fail to notice the warning about VAT being added, you should not be eating in restaurants. If I was a restauranteur, I would want my customers to know how much I was charging for a meal and not have that inflated by VAT -- let them see clearly and separately the government's take. In the US, sales tax is always added to the price at the time of sale, it is never included in the price, as it should be -- it is too easy to forget/ignore the effect of tax on purchases when it is buried in the price. It should always be separate so we see and remember that the government's hand is always in our pocket.

I do object to a restaurant taking what should be a discretionary charge (a tip or service charge) and making it obligatory -- that, IMHO, is wrong and defeats the purpose of the "tip" -- to motivate good service. I try to avoid restaurants that do that, but in every case the amount added to the bill is netted out of what I would have left as a tip. The problem comes, of course, when service is poor and I would not have left a tip or I would have left a tip of less than 10% (assuming that is what they add to the bill). And there have been a few occasions where i did not notice that a service charge was included in the bill and left a generous tip -- my mistake, I can live with it. It is in my view, a bad business management technique, but dishonest? As long as I am told up front that a service charge of x% will be added to the bill, absolutely not. You really do need to grow up.....

Very easy to include in menu price.

Living in a cheap, third world dump and complaining about the costs?

It's not a ripoff, just because you can't afford it.

Sales tax & drinking water are not something normal people spend much time thinking about.

Some people should not eat in restaurants.

Living in a cheap, third world dump and complaining about the costs?

It's not a ripoff, just because you can't afford it.

Sales tax & drinking water are not something normal people spend much time thinking about.

Some people should not eat in restaurants.

Some people fail to understand that others may be more interested in matters of principle than in the actual cost.

I regularly spend 1000-1500B for a meal in restaurants here which is more than I could possibly spend for a meal in Sunrise Tacos (without feeling very ill), but I have no objection to that because the advertised price is the price I am charged and no deceitful extras are added to the bill.

As for Thailand being cheap, some things here are and some things here certainly are not. Hardly a day goes by without me seeing things here that I know I could buy for a half or even a quarter of the price in Europe (including 20% or more VAT instead of just 7% here), and not all of these are imported items.

• Like 1

I added the emphasis- hope that does not violate rules.

We have a problem then. THERE IS NO MENTION OF 7 PERCENT ADDED VALUE TAX anywhere in the menu. But I sure got it added to my bill today. To be sure, I double checked with the waitress who understood and seemed embarrassed and when asked said "the boss said to do it".

This is unethical and possibly illegal - even in Thailand.

I will not review the meal I had because of this. This bugs Jack Baron!

Edited by BugJackBaron

We have a problem then. THERE IS NO MENTION OF 7 PERCENT ADDED VALUE TAX anywhere in the menu. But I sure got it added to my bill today. To be sure, I double checked with the waitress who understood and seemed embarrassed and when asked said "the boss said to do it".

Much garbage here. A waitress won't reply. This is Thailand. 10% service charge to the owners for whatever & 7% to Gov Tax to allow the Foreign owner's to charge tax. Service Charge in Thailand is PURELY A FOREIGNER Tax. Pay to eat.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Good catch Jack! Don't put any faith in that waitress..... she is new. I see this as an oversight in trying to get the new restaurant open quickly and I know the owner will quickly get this sorted out. I will visit and try to talk to him tomorrow. The menu can easily be modified to include the VAT.

Much garbage here. A waitress won't reply. This is Thailand. 10% service charge to the owners for whatever & 7% to Gov Tax to allow the Foreign owner's to charge tax. Service Charge in Thailand is PURELY A FOREIGNER Tax. Pay to eat.

Excusing your rant, there is no 10% service charge added to the bill.

PURELY A FOREIGNER Tax ?

Does that mean Thais don't have to pay it ?

More double pricing in Thailand, this time perpetrated by the falang restaurateurs.