Sunset for Sunrise Tacos

BugJackBaron

The Jomtien branch seems to have been closed since a few days ago. Their front sign has been taken down.

Looks like only Sam's and Mike's are left as choices for Mexican restaurants in or near the Jomtien area.

Edited by BugJackBaron

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me, Sunrise Tacos was always one of those "OK for Thailand" things, when there was not much choice. There are a few decent Mexican restaurants in Bangkok and Chiang Mai now, so I can see why Sunshine would be having problems.

Sunrise as a whole is doing well...the soi 12 branch closing is not for business reasonot for business reasons if an office building is going up there. The Jomtien operanch was a franchise and I guess there isn't enough of a market for texx-mex food, at least in Jomtien. Agree that the food was meh but like you say, it's Thailand and not Texas or Cali so what can one expect. I'm sure Greg, "Little Boy," is already thinking up more food concepts to go with his Subway and Sunrise outlets.

To me, Sunrise Tacos was always one of those "OK for Thailand" things, when there was not much choice. There are a few decent Mexican restaurants in Bangkok and Chiang Mai now, so I can see why Sunshine would be having problems.

Sunrise as a whole is doing well...the soi 12 branch closing is not for business reasonot for business reasons if an office building is going up there. The Jomtien operanch was a franchise and I guess there isn't enough of a market for texx-mex food, at least in Jomtien. Agree that the food was meh but like you say, it's Thailand and not Texas or Cali so what can one expect. I'm sure Greg, "Little Boy," is already thinking up more food concepts to go with his Subway and Sunrise outlets.

Should not take much imagination...

Must be a mistake as i read posts ( from the owner and his fan-boys) on the forum here that they are doing so well, both on the mobile location as the jomtien one .

Hasn't the mobile truck disappeared long time ago ?

Maybe they are taking some time off now as they couldn't cope with the demand anymore . whistling.gif

I will miss Sunrise, even with ++ they were no more expensive than the competition and if you factor in the complimentary chips and salsa it was a better deal. One of my pet peeves, but a restaurant has one strike against it if it does not provide complimentary horderves, bread, etc. so places like Mike's, Sams, Pan Pan lose some points with me.

I've eaten Tex-Mex, New Mexico-Mex, Arizona-Mex and Oklahoma-Mex. The food at Sunrise Tacos was not any of those, IMHO. The salsa bar and free chips was a good idea. I did, however, see people abuse that free offering (e.g. ordering a Coke and then stuffing themselves with free chips and salsa). Rent must have been astronomical; prices had to reflect that. I wish Greg well.

Drats ... you beat me to it. There goes my rep. I was planning to post about this just now. I had stopped going anyway long ago when the Thai manager impolitely told me I would be banned if I ever had another complaint about their food ... so I banned myself. So am I surprised by this news? Not at all. I saw it coming. Yes the food was meh and Russians were typically coming in, looking at the menu, and then walking out. What no Mexican borscht? The question now is can Pattaya support an actually good Mex resto as in Bangkok? Beats me. I want one but I wouldn't invest in it.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Drats ... you beat me to it. There goes my rep. I was planning to post about this just now. I had stopped going anyway long ago when the Thai manager impolitely told me I would be banned if I ever had another complaint about their food ... so I banned myself. So am I surprised by this news? Not at all. I saw it coming. Yes the food was meh and Russians were typically coming in, looking at the menu, and then walking out. What no Mexican borscht? The question now is can Pattaya support an actually good Mex resto as in Bangkok? Beats me. I want one but I wouldn't invest in it.

I never thought Thais would take to Subway sandwiches but I see lots of them in there nowadays. One key is price, subway's sandwiches can be had as low as B 69 and are a complete meal/snack in themselves.

My point is I think a Mex food joint could make it but cannot just be aimed at local farangs and tourists. It needs to start out small too...like even just a burrito cart/stand or small resto in a high-traffic area. Burritos are easy to make and are just variations on a basic theme and are complete little meals in themselves. Nothing too exotic about the ingredients so don't have to be expensive and I think Thais would take to them too, just like they have to Greek donor rolls. Just add some rice and beans and it's basically a burrito. If successful its not to hard to expand a Tex-Mexican menu as it the same basic ingredients prepared and wrapped in a few different ways.

I never thought Thais would take to Subway sandwiches but I see lots of them in there nowadays. One key is price, subway's sandwiches can be had as low as B 69 and are a complete meal/snack in themselves.

My point is I think a Mex food joint could make it but cannot just be aimed at local farangs and tourists. It needs to start out small too...like even just a burrito cart/stand or small resto in a high-traffic area. Burritos are easy to make and are just variations on a basic theme and are complete little meals in themselves. Nothing too exotic about the ingredients so don't have to be expensive and I think Thais would take to them too, just like they have to Greek donor rolls. Just add some rice and beans and it's basically a burrito. If successful its not to hard to expand a Tex-Mexican menu as it the same basic ingredients prepared and wrapped in a few different ways.

Right smack in the middle of Soi Beaucow is a small Mexican eatery. I noticed it yesterday but just had time to glance at the menu. Typical Beaucow prices but a very limited menu.Maybe there for the drunk crowd?

Anyone care to review it?

Right smack in the middle of Soi Beaucow is a small Mexican eatery. I noticed it yesterday but just had time to glance at the menu. Typical Beaucow prices but a very limited menu.Maybe there for the drunk crowd?

Someplace small and "in the middle" of Bua Khow might be hard to find. Can you provide more specifics...like is it north or south of soi Diana, on the east or west side of BK? Any well known hotels or bars nearby? If it's anywhere near Pook Bar I'll have a look-see. Edited by OMGImInPattaya

I saw Gil the Pattaya franchise owner in BKK last week and he said he was expanding and all was well.

Greg is doing great in BKK as far as I can see.

Really? That's odd. The location appears that it is being gutted. All signage removed or covered up.

Never fancied going to places when you can make it so much better yourself. Its quite cheap though when I make good tacos for 4 people I spend easily 2000++ on products then again we eat quite a lot.

Been to sunrise two times which was enough imo

the Thai manager impolitely told me I would be banned if I ever had another complaint about their food ..

I have a feeling that this happens a LOT tongue.png - but you do know a lot about food and about restaurants. I read your reviews religiously.

the Thai manager impolitely told me I would be banned if I ever had another complaint about their food ..

I have a feeling that this happens a LOT tongue.png - but you do know a lot about food and about restaurants. I read your reviews religiously.

No, it really doesn't. Believe it or not. It almost never happens. Only once banned from a restaurant in my entire life (a life of eating in restaurants all the time for decades) in Jomtien by an anti-American hothead who wouldn't honor his own coupons. THREATENED only with being banned at Sunrise, and that was enough, no desire to go back after that. In reality GOOD restaurant owners and managers WELCOME constructive comments about the food, or when customers point out any kind of problems. Sure some customers are full of crap, but others can tell them things that many other customers are thinking, but don't say, and just don't return. Yes people who make negative comments are a valuable resource. I understand that's something that would rarely be understood in the THAI culture though.

Also, dude, I'm not a masochist. If a place is crap, I go somewhere else, just like a normal person. If it's good, I go often, smile, COMPLEMENT, pay, and tip and why would an owner ban customers like that? Sunrise was a little different, I love Mexican food, as far as I'm concerned there really weren't any other local choices (no I don't like any other local place either) so when there were problems, and there were sometimes, I commented about them and even demanded that they FIX them (again the place is not cheap). By the way, I ended up NOT missing the place ...

Edited by Jingthing

I saw Gil the Pattaya franchise owner in BKK last week and he said he was expanding and all was well.

Greg is doing great in BKK as far as I can see.

Really? That's odd. The location appears that it is being gutted. All signage removed or covered up.

Maybe they're expanding...low season would be the time to do it. The plot thickens.

• Like 2

Someplace small and "in the middle" of Bua Khow might be hard to find. Can you provide more specifics...like is it north or south of soi Diana, on the east or west side of BK? Any well known hotels or bars nearby? If it's anywhere near Pook Bar I'll have a look-see.

North of Soi Diana . Pretty close to Witherspoons I think, On the other side , or close, is a big Swasdee Hotel.

I'm not surprised ... food sucked, the dozen or so sauces where stale ....

Thais let to run a biz ? This is where it ends up ...

Mai pen rai, mai me pen ha .... who cares about customer service ?! lol

luudee