Sunset for Sunrise Tacos

BugJackBaron

As for the original OP subject...

I hadn't heard about any imminent demise of the BKK Suk Soi 10 Bangkok location due to an office building project. But I did see on ST's Facebook page that they've been making plans to open a new location across the main road at the corner of, I believe, Soi 13. So I kind of assumed something might be in the wind with Soi 10.

Meanwhile, I believe ST has just opened or is opening a new location in Khao San Road, and have a relatively new location on Silom Road. So I can only assume there are enough customers to warrant those kinds of investments here in BKK.

I don't know what was going on with the Jomtien franchise branch. But I can only dream that other restaurateurs around these parts would invest as much interest and commitment to their dining ventures as Greg does with Sunrise Tacos.

I noticed Greg wrote this update on their Facebook page earlier this month:

I have helped build a community in the middle of a shopping plaza from seven seats to 130 seats.

Now we serve over 1,000 people a day at six locations and that number will be higher in the next 60 days with the opening of four more new locations.

Owning Sunrise Tacos is so much more than profit and loss, firing employees, or chopping onions. As the owner and leader, you have to be the life force behind everything from the broken tortilla machine part to the salsa. You have to be everything to everyone at every moment.

Several months ago a large company offered to buy Sunrise Tacos out. I flew to their country and looked at their operations. After careful consideration, I decided not to sell because of the hard work my staff has put in to make Sunrise what it is and for our guests who have supported us over the years.

https://www.facebook.com/sunrisetacos?hc_location=timeline

BTW, here's the link to the renderings of the Suk Soi 13 location that they say is planned to open soon.

https://www.facebook.com/sunrisetacos/posts/10152299406941241?stream_ref=10

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Much garbage here. A waitress won't reply. This is Thailand. 10% service charge to the owners for whatever & 7% to Gov Tax to allow the Foreign owner's to charge tax. Service Charge in Thailand is PURELY A FOREIGNER Tax. Pay to eat.

I suppose that means that you have never actually been to somewhere like the Hilton (or all the other international hotels in town) where 10% service and 7% VAT is part of the bill? Everyone is charged it, regardless of nationality.

We have a problem then. THERE IS NO MENTION OF 7 PERCENT ADDED VALUE TAX anywhere in the menu. But I sure got it added to my bill today. To be sure, I double checked with the waitress who understood and seemed embarrassed and when asked said "the boss said to do it".

This is unethical and possibly illegal - even in Thailand.

And you paid the extra even though it was not indicated anywhere that it would be added to the menu price? In your shoes I would have refused point-blank to pay a satang more than the price indicated on the menu.

So Pattaya's Sunrise is closed. Oh well. Does that mean there won't be a new Sunrise in the area opened by someone else? Who knows ... it might be much more viable in Pattaya than Jomtien. eh?

I drove past a new (to me) TexMex place on 2nd Road the other evening. It was done out in fast food style but had signs up saying "fresh every day" or something like that. On the east side of the road before you get to the Royal Garden. Couldnt see the prices from the car but made a mental note to walk back soon to see, especially as there are several other places along there that have changed hands and/or decor recently.

Maybe that's worth trying?

We have a problem then. THERE IS NO MENTION OF 7 PERCENT ADDED VALUE TAX anywhere in the menu. But I sure got it added to my bill today. To be sure, I double checked with the waitress who understood and seemed embarrassed and when asked said "the boss said to do it".

This is unethical and possibly illegal - even in Thailand.

And you paid the extra even though it was not indicated anywhere that it would be added to the menu price? In your shoes I would have refused point-blank to pay a satang more than the price indicated on the menu.

Legally I am sure I could have but I didn't want to get the waitresses in trouble(they were kinda cute).

So Pattaya's Sunrise is closed. Oh well. Does that mean there won't be a new Sunrise in the area opened by someone else? Who knows ... it might be much more viable in Pattaya than Jomtien. eh?

I drove past a new (to me) TexMex place on 2nd Road the other evening. It was done out in fast food style but had signs up saying "fresh every day" or something like that. On the east side of the road before you get to the Royal Garden. Couldnt see the prices from the car but made a mental note to walk back soon to see, especially as there are several other places along there that have changed hands and/or decor recently.

Maybe that's worth trying?

I know of no such place on 2nd road. Are you sure you don't mean the new Mexican place on Soi Beuakow which has food suspiciously similar in flavor to Sunrise?

Much garbage here. A waitress won't reply. This is Thailand. 10% service charge to the owners for whatever & 7% to Gov Tax to allow the Foreign owner's to charge tax. Service Charge in Thailand is PURELY A FOREIGNER Tax. Pay to eat.

I suppose that means that you have never actually been to somewhere like the Hilton (or all the other international hotels in town) where 10% service and 7% VAT is part of the bill? Everyone is charged it, regardless of nationality.

Try again at "dis-crediting". Already researched the country & culture. The "Accommodations" exclusively, but each to own in that area. Will report TRUTH.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Regarding the food...garbage fast food, mean very bad. Can do better at home. Mexican food is easy & very tasty, but idiot companies aways find a way to make it bad....and Thailand will add...not Thai, but the foreigners will include a tax just for them.

If you visit a restaurant in Thailand, meet the owner(s), then get a bill with a "Service Charge", you most definitely gone to the wrong place. Back to Sunrise, it is at least 10 beers below Taco Bell!!!! Closer to 20 beers below.

• Like 1

Thinking this question is old or maybe the 'poster' is way older. Either way...lol

Yeah, the branches in Big C extra and central Festival, as well as the mobile locations on second road were a success, weren't they.

I know of no such place on 2nd road. Are you sure you don't mean the new Mexican place on Soi Beuakow which has food suspiciously similar in flavor to Sunrise?

You could well be right. I drove to several different places that day and saw several new things on several different roads, including 2nd road and 3rd road and Soi Buakow and across on the dark side. Didn't pay a huge amount of attention to the TexMex one as it's not my favourite style, so I didn't make a proper written note of it as I do for places that really tempt me.

Age-related memory loss is a wonderful thing. There's always something new. smile.png

• Like 1

Try again at "dis-crediting". Already researched the country & culture. The "Accommodations" exclusively, but each to own in that area. Will report TRUTH.

Oh yes, the TRUTH, fair and balanced, just like Foxnews.

Yeah, the branches in Big C extra and central Festival, as well as the mobile locations on second road were a success, weren't they.

There was never a branch at Central Festival, was there?

A truck isn't a branch.

Big C Extra wasn't a full restaurant.

But I get your point.

It's interesting though.

If this less than wonderful "Mexican" food had a hard time making it here, what would happen with better Mexican food which in Thailand tends to mean even higher prices?

Oh yes, the TRUTH, fair and balanced, just like Foxnews.

No need to be bias. This is food. Might I say, food be not politics but those which preach such are idiots in the making.

Anyone selling you Sunrise is a hired joke, ignore them. Check them out, but order in. Take away is "take out the dead".

Really, comparing a small fast food chain, no different but much smaller than America's Taco Bell and way smaller than McDonalds. Even McDonalds is no Hilton, nor do they have hidden bedrooms in the back. Nor do they charge 17% tax. They charge from my experience zero tax here. Now if you were talking about the Sunrise Taco's Hilton, made for people who speak without ever traveling or experiencing anything other than the Internet, then I would say I've seen your home.

Really, comparing a small fast food chain, no different but much smaller than America's Taco Bell and way smaller than McDonalds. Even McDonalds is no Hilton, nor do they have hidden bedrooms in the back. Nor do they charge 17% tax. They charge from my experience zero tax here. Now if you were talking about the Sunrise Taco's Hilton, made for people who speak without ever traveling or experiencing anything other than the Internet, then I would say I've seen your home.

The only person making this comparison to fast food is you. There is no Sunrise Tacos here, there is subs n steaks, a full service restaurant also serving imported black angus beef.

do you even try to make sense?

Come on fearless reporters ..do I have to do all the leg work? Has the menu been modified to indicate that a VAT tax will be added?

I can report the menus have been modified and now show that the 7% VAT will be added. No service, tip, gratuity added, it is at the customers discretion.

Can report there is a service charge plus vat, thus 17% added to the bill though the chain isn't anywhere near a hotel. Also can report, after talking to a many of Thai staff, the service charge doesn't go to the service people. Same but worse in Malaysia, the extra tax goes to the owner. Thou in Malaysia, so do 80+% of the tips.

If truly, like your service, DO NOT leave your tip on the table. Indiscreetly fold it in your hand & give it (lower than table height) to your service attendant.

On another note, there isn't anything even close to real Mexican food in Thailand, better yet Bangkok.