Gay man tries to sue Chinese government

isanbirder

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-26631161

Being gay is not illegal in China, but it is frowned on.

Part of the reason is that it is associated in Chinese history with many of the emperors, and therefore decadent. Being gay is also central to the Dream of the Red Chamber, the archetypical Chinese novel.

In modern Chinese society, as far as I can tell, it is quite OK to be gay so long as you don't make a fuss about it.

Years ago, there was a sort of gay hang out in Guandong, it was near the river under a bridge. The police used to come in and make massive arrests. I wonder why they did that?

At that time, I heard gays were arrested under a very broad law against hooliganism.

I lived in Hong Kong for quite a while and the attitude was quite anti-gay.

I lived in Hong Kong for quite a while and the attitude was quite anti-gay.

I can't let you get away with that one, Scott!

I lived in Hong Kong for 26 years. I came out there; I had many gay friends, and we were quite open about it. There were gay bars throughout that period.

For part of that time the Chief of Police was gay, and this was well-known. There was a case during his term of office when a police officer shot himself five times in the head (go figure) because he had been outed, but the truth in this case was never revealed.

When you say 'attitude', do you mean the attitude of the British, or the attitude of the Chinese? The Chinese attitude has always tended to be, What we can't see, we won't worry about.

Most of the local people I knew were deathly afraid of their family finding out they were gay.

There were several gay friendly saunas and pubs and it's a pretty big city so being anonymous is fairly easy. But when it came to broaching the subject with their family, it seemed pretty anti-gay.

• 2 weeks later...

What was the attitude of the Chinese people towards homosexuality before the Christian missionaries came?

Read the first post.

Which contains.....

"Part of the reason is that it is associated in Chinese history with many of the emperors, and .....Being gay is also central to the Dream of the Red Chamber, the archetypical Chinese novel."

Don't worry, missionaries don't turn ALL cultures on their heads. Thailand is a perfect example.

What was the attitude of the Chinese people towards homosexuality before the Christian missionaries came?

Read the first post.

Which contains.....

"Part of the reason is that it is associated in Chinese history with many of the emperors, and .....Being gay is also central to the Dream of the Red Chamber, the archetypical Chinese novel."

I know. Just wanted to make a point.

Don't worry, missionaries don't turn ALL cultures on their heads. Thailand is a perfect example.

They are trying... I know there are many Christian missionaries in Thailand.

Read the first post.

Which contains.....

Is this supposed to be some new revelation?

Don't worry, nobody's going to try to convert you or the Thais against their will.

Missions has a long, long history in Thailand, (150 years+), particularly in Chiang Mai, with the blessing of Thailand's kings. Visit the National Museum in Chiang Mai just to get a flavor for it.

Don't worry, nobody's going to try to convert you or the Thais against their will.

Missions has a long, long history in Thailand, (150 years+), particularly in Chiang Mai, with the blessing of Thailand's kings. Visit the National Museum in Chiang Mai just to get a flavor for it.

No, it's not new. Missionarianism is about telling people that their religion is no good, and they should convert to a god who punishes you for being gay (among other things). The holy intolerance and guilt-trip itself, because they tell you that you go to hell if you don't follow. How does that help?

I don't doubt that these people (i.e. missionaries) are particularly active in Chiang Mai, where they will find fertile grounds with the hilltribes, who hope to achieve some civil rights which they are being denied by the Thai government. Using a political problem to sell a religion! How despicable is that, I ask you.

But then, this thread is about China.

I don't doubt that these people (i.e. missionaries) are particularly active in Chiang Mai, where they will find fertile grounds with the hilltribes, who hope to achieve some civil rights which they are being denied by the Thai government. Using a political problem to sell a religion! How despicable is that, I ask you.

Wow, that's pretty twisted and convoluted logic.

But as you said...

This thread's about China.