Where to Start Offshore?

UncleRico

I was a submarine nuclear operator and electrician for 9 years and I am currently a licensed reactor operator in a commercial nuclear power plant. I also have a B.S. in Nuclear Technology. I have skills in electrical maintenance, operations, technical writing, vibration monitoring and maintenance planning and scheduling. I am transitioning to an oil and gas career and would like some advice on what the best starting job would be to reach my career goals. My goal is to eventually be an OIM working a 28/28 rotation based out of Thailand with company paid business class flights from Thailand to the work location.

I currently live in southeast Louisiana and will most likely start my career working in GOM or Alaska. I currently have leads on the following jobs: ROV Tech, Rig Electrician, Installing electrical systems on production platforms, Field Service Engineer for GE BOP's, Production Operator and Roustabout.

With hard work, dedication and ability, which one of these jobs do you feel would get me to my goal the quickest? Obviously some of these positions are more desirable than others starting out but I am more concerned with where they will eventually lead me.

All advice is appreciated.

Look at Oceaneering for the ROV work as they are good about hiring vets and they have some of the best working there. Sounds like you would be a good fit. Any of the Electrical ones would be good too. Try and get in with a good company and stay there. There is enough work going on over this way that you should be able to get somebody to fly you back and forth. Not always business class but you should be making enough to cover the upgrade with miles or cash anyway so do not let that slow your roll. Good luck on your search and thanks for serving in the Military. You get over to Thailand let me know and we will have you over for home cooked Thai. Regards, Dave.

Look at Oceaneering for the ROV work as they are good about hiring vets and they have some of the best working there. Sounds like you would be a good fit. Any of the Electrical ones would be good too. Try and get in with a good company and stay there. There is enough work going on over this way that you should be able to get somebody to fly you back and forth. Not always business class but you should be making enough to cover the upgrade with miles or cash anyway so do not let that slow your roll. Good luck on your search and thanks for serving in the Military. You get over to Thailand let me know and we will have you over for home cooked Thai. Regards, Dave.

Thanks, Dave. I appreciate the response. I really like the idea of the ROV job but is there much room for advancement in that field? It seems like advancement would be limited. And I will take you up on that meal the next time I come!

I think a deep water drill rig but I am still learning about the industry so I am not sure. I say drill rig because I want to always be working in different places and although it is hard work it seems the most exciting on a day to day basis.

I realize it is ambitious and I may never get there before I am ready to retire but I figure I have 20 good years before I will be making that decision. I just don't want to get stuck in a field where I have maxed out my upward mobility offshore and have to move onshore to continue advancing. I want to do rotational work until I retire.

I think a deep water drill rig but I am still learning about the industry so I am not sure. I say drill rig because I want to always be working in different places and although it is hard work it seems the most exciting on a day to day basis.

I admire your ambition and wish you luck. I would say however that to work up to an OIM position on a drill rig or production platform requires many years of experience behind you. Think along a timeline of 20-30 years.

Yeap...20 or 30 years and may never happen either

In the classic sense, the OIM on producing platforms, typically has a background in Production in some cases maintenance.

With your background, if we forget about your OIM goal for the moment, I would say production operator is your best bet, reason I say this...I know of quite a few guys who transitioned from nuclear operations to O&G operations quite sucessfully, you already will have the basic skill set, you just need to learn the process side of things

In another life, I was involved in commecial nuclear before I got involved in O&G (not the production side) hence the reason for my comment above

Based on the info given I would forget about the ROV side of things and concentrate on getting into Production, this would be best suited to the skill set you already have

You are overqualified to work in Thailand.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

why so. ?...please give us mere mortals the benefit of your many years experience in Thai O&G then ?

or are you just pulling comments straight from your bottom ?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

So just wanted to give an update. I was very fortunate to get a job offer from my most desired company to work for, Transocean! I also really wanted to be on a drill ship instead of a rig and it looks like that's what I will get working 3/3 in GOM.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I can't wait to start my new career! Any other Transocean peeps on TV? I decided I wanted to work for them because of the many glowing employee reviews on glassdoor, their massive global presence and many new rigs. Really excited so thanks again for the help.

Transocean ? Desired ! hahaha. Laughed so much I nearly shit. Yes agree with others don't bother with ROV. Last thing we need is more " I'll be a Supt in two years" types. Never fails to amaze me how many fellas wake up and decide their future is working offshore. There is a lot more required than just the daydream. Witness the thousands of bucks that some have spunked on pointless courses to gain a job offshore without any luck. If you don't have any mates or family in the industry or really relevent experience you are in for a hard slog. Not to mention what about all the guys who have been drillers, roustabouts and AD's for years Why do you think you can cut their grass without any of their experience ? You'd be better pursuing offshore work in the US from the bottom up and once you have experirnce think about relocating. As a fella with 25+ yrs exp offshore I say you need to rethink your plans
  • Like 1

Transocean ? Desired ! hahaha. Laughed so much I nearly shit. Yes agree with others don't bother with ROV. Last thing we need is more " I'll be a Supt in two years" types. Never fails to amaze me how many fellas wake up and decide their future is working offshore. There is a lot more required than just the daydream. Witness the thousands of bucks that some have spunked on pointless courses to gain a job offshore without any luck. If you don't have any mates or family in the industry or really relevent experience you are in for a hard slog. Not to mention what about all the guys who have been drillers, roustabouts and AD's for years Why do you think you can cut their grass without any of their experience ? You'd be better pursuing offshore work in the US from the bottom up and once you have experirnce think about relocating. As a fella with 25+ yrs exp offshore I say you need to rethink your plans

Perhaps you should actually read my last post before responding because you obviously did not. You suggest I try working offshore in the US from the bottom up but if you read my post you would see that is EXACTLY what I am doing. I am starting as a Roustabout in the US Gulf of Mexico. And if you read my first post you would see that I do have relevant experience that should translate well to oil and gas upstream work. I don't understand the sour grapes.

Spot on man. There is nothing more annoying than the guys who wake up and want to work on rigs and get rich. As Pdaz says, get 20 years experience first, then think again if you got what it takes to be RigSup.

Edited by starman_tom

"Spot on man. There is nothing more annoying than the guys who wake up and want to work on rigs and get rich. As Pdaz says, get 20 years experience first, then think again if you got what it takes to be RigSup."

Who said get rich? I'm taking a massive pay cut to go offshore, 50% in fact. I am doing it for the schedule and the actual work. Does anyone on here actually read the previous posts before they spout off? I said rig sup was a 25 year goal.

• 1 month later...

"Spot on man. There is nothing more annoying than the guys who wake up and want to work on rigs and get rich. As Pdaz says, get 20 years experience first, then think again if you got what it takes to be RigSup."

Who said get rich? I'm taking a massive pay cut to go offshore, 50% in fact. I am doing it for the schedule and the actual work. Does anyone on here actually read the previous posts before they spout off? I said rig sup was a 25 year goal.

Do you honestly think folks who have put in years of sweat are going to give out tips to newcomers, I should hope not.

Do you honestly think folks who have put in years of sweat are going to give out tips to newcomers, I should hope not.

I have absolutely no problem handing out tips to the new guys, as I think most of the long term O&G guys dont have a problem doing this, I suspects its the "newbies" in the business who will not hand out tips because they feel insecure in their job situation thats all.

People can give all the tips they want, it will only take someone so far, there are still a lot of other factors which come into play to getting a foot in the door

• Like 1

You've next to no chance of becoming an OIM in the drilling side unless you start on the rig floor as a roustabout and go up through the ranks. I've personally never met an OIM that didn't start throwing chain and working Tongs