Cost of labour for chain link fence.

I have bought all the materials to put up 300meters of 1.5m high chain link fence. Posts will be 2m apart set in concrete base.

Has one guy up who quoted me 100k for the labour and told me it would take a month. That sounds very high to me,

Anyone got an experience with this.

I'm in central Thailand.

Thanks

Can't really give you a price or cost of doing your job....BUT can give you a reference point to go off of....

First off .....did 100 meters of concrete wall at 1000 baht/meter.

Secondly....Daily labor rates for construction workers I have hired, is 300 baht a day.

So ...agree with Boozer....Farang Price w00t.gif

Assuming you have a Thai wife ....so would have her get more bids.....(just a guess but 2 workers should be able to get the job done in a 2 weeks.....600/baht X

14 = 8400 Baht.)

Good luck smile.png

• Like 1

Is this quoted price to weld the chain link to the poles or is it to "stretch" the chain link between the poles and fasten them to the uprights with metal ties ?

If it is to weld then that is why the price is high since welding should be included.

If it is to stretch and tie them I hope you have built a stretching tool and are prepared to teach your workers how to do it since those who know how to do it correctly are hard to find here in Thailand

Is this quoted price to weld the chain link to the poles or is it to "stretch" the chain link between the poles and fasten them to the uprights with metal ties ?

If it is to weld then that is why the price is high since welding should be included.

If it is to stretch and tie them I hope you have built a stretching tool and are prepared to teach your workers how to do it since those who know how to do it correctly are hard to find here in Thailand

The chain link will be getting tacked on to the poles, that's correct. The poles will be 1 1/2" tubulars and along the top and bottom will be 1" tubulars for a bit of additional strength.

I have the welding machine and am supplying all materials.

what surprises me is that it's a pretty simple job you would think...

Got a second quote and it was MORE!!!!

Because Thais are not used to working with Chain link fence. I gave up and just built a wall but mine was a small job. Good luck since I am afraid that trying to get Thai workers to do something "different" is akin to herding cats or pushing a noodle

Trying to get them to build anything straight is also near impossible!!!

I live in Central Thailand and have had quite a few hundred meters, of two and half meter post and barbed wire fence put around my property (I presume that this is what you are calling chain link ??)

The cost here (I am a western woman too) is 100 baht per post...that includes digging the hole, cementing and putting up the barbed wire (which is quite a few strands on a two and half meter pole...actually half a meter goes into the ground so you end up with a two meter fence)

If you do the maths it works out to about 15,000 baht not 100,000 baht.

hope this helps

Posts every 2.5 to 3.0 meters.

Two people can do 20 posts a day easily, make sure they do the corner posts first and stretch a line!. The line will sag at the middle, make them correct for that! Weld the fence to the posts if you must, I never did, Think about tying it to the posts with wire, you can get a nice tension just by doing that correctly. Weld maybe every 15 meters or so, again if you must.

Anyway the fence doesn't need to be pulled really tight as a tight fence is easier to get over than a wonky one. I reckon 30 meters a day is easily doable once the posts are in place, more like 60. All the same I would put in diagonal posts on any corners/ changes in direction.

The holes for the posts should be at least 60 cm deep ( I am not joking) and the posts at least 190cm long for a fence height of 150cm.

So: 120 posts = 6 days x 2 = ฿6000.-

Laying out and mounting the fence, 5 days x 2 = ฿5000.-. (฿500.- a day each)

They should be happy with ฿20 000.-

I did many kilometers of fences in my time.

• Like 1

Posts every 2.5 to 3.0 meters.

Two people can do 20 posts a day easily, make sure they do the corner posts first and stretch a line!. The line will sag at the middle, make them correct for that! Weld the fence to the posts if you must, I never did, Think about tying it to the posts with wire, you can get a nice tension just by doing that correctly. Weld maybe every 15 meters or so, again if you must.

Anyway the fence doesn't need to be pulled really tight as a tight fence is easier to get over than a wonky one. I reckon 30 meters a day is easily doable once the posts are in place, more like 60. All the same I would put in diagonal posts on any corners/ changes in direction.

The holes for the posts should be at least 60 cm deep ( I am not joking) and the posts at least 190cm long for a fence height of 150cm.

So: 120 posts = 6 days x 2 = ฿6000.-

Laying out and mounting the fence, 5 days x 2 = ฿5000.-. (฿500.- a day each)

They should be happy with ฿20 000.-

I did many kilometers of fences in my time.

Thanks for the info.

300 baht per day per labourer is the usual.

Can't really give you a price or cost of doing your job....BUT can give you a reference point to go off of....

First off .....did 100 meters of concrete wall at 1000 baht/meter.

Secondly....Daily labor rates for construction workers I have hired, is 300 baht a day.

So ...agree with Boozer....Farang Price w00t.gif

Assuming you have a Thai wife ....so would have her get more bids.....(just a guess but 2 workers should be able to get the job done in a 2 weeks.....600/baht X

14 = 8400 Baht.)

Good luck smile.png