Nong Khai Visa Run... I'm here now... until April 15th. Team up for a ride across the Bridge?

I'm here in Nong Khai until about April 15th. I will be doing a Visa Run any time after April 1st. or so. I am staying in inexpensive hotels and learning about Nong Khai... The bridge to Laos is not far away... I can see it from any hotel 3rd. floor in the area. If there is anyone who is planning on a Visa Run - you are welcome to come and meet up. From a previous post I made I was given very detailed information as to how to get it done (this is my first one). So I am pretty set to go ... In the next several days I will learn my way around Nong Khai - not difficult as it is a relatively small place - walking is do-able and tuuk tuuks are not expensive.

Just contact me here if you are interested ... I know it is not very difficult but sometimes having a buddy to spend a few hours with - compare notes, have a coffee or a beer together makes for a better day. And if you need 'overnight' and want an inexpensive room - I can make some recommendations - 400 baht and up - clean - all the essentials - but not luxury... And of course you can pay more all over town... I have seen quite a few Farang gals on the streets - young - old - in between ... something different to look at - for me anyway. I have been living in a smaller town down river for the past couple of months and haven't seen many Westerners period - only a handful.

Make a post reply - send a PM - whatever. We can exchange direct contact info. I am open as to the date between - say the 2nd. through the 15th. My actual deadline date is April 17 but I am on a Multi-Entry 'O' and is makes little difference when I go...

• Like 2

Hi mate

U said its your first visa run to Laos, just checking you're aware that the Thai embassy (if thats what you need) is not really near the border and the visa takes 24 hours to get...?

Anyways mate, hope u hv a great time, Vientienne (if you go) is really nice.

Well James ... I appreciate your input.... But when I made a post a month or so ago about how to do this I was given detailed information by several knowledgeable posters including ubonjoe. And all said it was a simple across the bridge - pay the Lao Visa Fee - turn around come back across the bridge pay and get stamped with new departure card for another 90 days. My Visa status is Non Immigration 'O' Multi-Entry Visa with an Enter Before Date of 15 December 2014 ... .. This is not an O-A Visa related to Retirement nor to marriage ... it is just an extended Multi-Entry Visa. I am not going for a Visa renewal and certainly not going for an extension. My Departure Card simply says depart April 17 2014.

Here is a link to my original post asking for 'How to" In search of ....

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/705496-non-imm-o-first-border-run-request-advice/#entry7458821

Edited by JDGRUEN

In reality you are not doing a visa run.

You are just doing a border hop/jump or run to get a new 90 day entry from your visa.

A true visa run is going to an embassy or consulate for a visa. But of course many people use visa run instead of border run.

Can you do that?

Because the Thai Embassy in Stockholm told me that I have to leave Thailand 24 hours before coming back.

I talk about Non Immigrant visa O based on pension-retired with multiple entries.

Just a question. Because I have never done it.

Edited by larsjohnsson

Thanks for the quick reply. And strange because this was the reply I got:

"With a Non-Immigrant Visa "O" you may stay a maximum of 90 days at a time in Thailand. If you have a multi-entry visa and wants to get 90 days you leave Thailand and be gone for at least 24 hours before you can start a new 90-day period."

In reality you are not doing a visa run.

You are just doing a border hop/jump or run to get a new 90 day entry from your visa.

A true visa run is going to an embassy or consulate for a visa. But of course many people use visa run instead of border run.

Thanks ubonjoe... that is a piece of terminology that I thought was the same. Sorry if I have confused anyone. I would change the title of the thread if I could or knew how...

Edited by JDGRUEN

Can you do that?

Because the Thai Embassy in Stockholm told me that I have to leave Thailand 24 hours before coming back.

I talk about Non Immigrant visa O based on pension-retired with multiple entries.

Yes, you can do that. I have been doing it for years. In fact, I will be doing it again on April 9.

I go across the border into Lao, turn around and head back, making a stop at Duty Free to stock up on Beer Lao. Start to finish, 60 to 90 minutes. Easy peasy.

I will add, just for clarity, that I am on a Non-O multi entry visa. So the purpose is just to get a new 90 day entry stamp, NOT a new visa.

Edited by WhizBang

Can you do that?

Yes, you can do that. I have been doing it for years. In fact, I will be doing it again on April 9.

I go across the border into Lao, turn around and head back, making a stop at Duty Free to stock up on Beer Lao. Start to finish, 60 to 90 minutes. Easy peasy.

I will add, just for clarity, that I am on a Non-O multi entry visa. So the purpose is just to get a new 90 day entry stamp, NOT a new visa.

Thanks Whizbang for adding to the clarification of terminology ... I should have it down in about a year or so .... smile.png

If you're just making a "bridge run" then you could just hop on one of the border buses that just runs back and forth across the bridge, the price is 20 baht from the Thai side and 4,000 Kip from the Lao side. (roughly the same) On the Thai side you buy the tickets at the counter just after passing Passport Control and board the bus there. On the Lao side the tickets are sold at a booth just past the customs card gates and the bus boards there also.

The turn around time for the trip will vary, you hit everything right and it's 45 minutes, hit it at the wrong time and it's 2 plus hours. Right and wrong times just depend on when buses or vans show up from either side.

If you're just making a "bridge run" then you could just hop on one of the border buses that just runs back and forth across the bridge, the price is 20 baht from the Thai side and 4,000 Kip from the Lao side. (roughly the same) On the Thai side you buy the tickets at the counter just after passing Passport Control and board the bus there. On the Lao side the tickets are sold at a booth just past the customs card gates and the bus boards there also.

The turn around time for the trip will vary, you hit everything right and it's 45 minutes, hit it at the wrong time and it's 2 plus hours. Right and wrong times just depend on when buses or vans show up from either side.

Thanks to you too 'Lee4Life' ... you confirm what others posted on my earlier 'ISO' How to thread.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/705496-non-imm-o-first-border-run-request-advice/#entry7458821

I just created this other thread seeking a bridge cross over buddy or two... since my schedule is flexible ... just thought I would ask... BTW - I can see the bridge right out the hotel window...

So this can be done without having to acquire a Lao visa on their side?

So this can be done without having to acquire a Lao visa on their side?

I don't think he is saying that. You can't get on the bus back until after clearing Lao immigration both ways (in and out).

Thai immigration on entry will also check that you have the Lao stamps before they allow you entry back into the country.

• 4 weeks later...