Re-entry permit at BKK - easy process

Just wanted to contribute some experiences of getting a re-entry permit.

Firstly, do not go to Suan Phlu Immigration bureau! I relied on the somewhat vague website and was told by one of Officers there that I needed to go to Lak Si (being an Australian National), or get it at one of the airports.

As I am flying out tonight, I got mine at Suvarnabhumi, and the process is very simple.

1) Checked in and picked up my boarding pass

2) Headed though to immigration, and straight to the Re-entry desk. It is a small desk, but easy to find (pretty much as soon as you reach the gates where they stamp your passport)

3) Went to the Re-entry desk and handed them my passport, 1200 baht (single re-entry permit), and had my photo taken. They then gave me a form to sign, with the other info already filled in for me

4) Took seat and waited

5) Around 10 to 15 mins later, it's done! I then proceeded through immigration and to one of the restaurants where I am currently writing this post LOL!

Please note that if you choose to get a multiple re-entry permit, it is only valid up to the duration of your current VISA. So if you have a Non-Immigrant B which you renew every three months, the re-entry permit expires at the end of that three months.

Hope it helps you guys when making the decision on whether or not to go to an immigration office (which can take hours), or whether or not to get it at the airport after checking in.

I don't know about how it works at Don Mueng, so if anybody wants to share this info, please do so!

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

If anyone had a multiple entry visa no re-entry permit would be required.

Re-entry permits are not required by visa holders !

No visa "B" or otherwise is ever renewed. !

Would you be referring to "extensions of stay" which are not visas and for which a re- entry permit would be required?

Edited by thepool

Would you be referring to "extensions of stay" which are not visas and for which a re- entry permit would be required?

Hey, the op here took the time to start a thread which he thought would be helpful to others.

Can you please try to be nice.

Edited by ubonjoe
Removed a inflammatory comment

Thanks Cloudos for this very useful information. Just to add that the multiple re-entry permit is 4,000THB. As you say, it is valid only until for the duration of your non-immigrant visa, in my case, 90 days. So thus far it's cost me 2,000THB for the single entry visa (Thai Embassy, Vientiane), plus 4,000THB for the multiple re-entry permit (Bangkok Suwannaphum Airport). I was told that I could extend my stay at the end of the visa by going to the immigration office in the province where I live and having the extension done for a further 9 months at a cost of 1,900THB. So in total that would be 7,900THB or about USD250 to stay for a year.

Thanks Cloudos for this very useful information. Just to add that the multiple re-entry permit is 4,000THB. As you say, it is valid only until for the duration of your non-immigrant visa, in my case, 90 days. So thus far it's cost me 2,000THB for the single entry visa (Thai Embassy, Vientiane), plus 4,000THB for the multiple re-entry permit (Bangkok Suwannaphum Airport). I was told that I could extend my stay at the end of the visa by going to the immigration office in the province where I live and having the extension done for a further 9 months at a cost of 1,900THB. So in total that would be 7,900THB or about USD250 to stay for a year.

\A single re-entry costs 1200 at the airport, so unless you need to go out more than 3 times the single is cheaper.

An extension of stay will normally be for 1 year, not 9 months. The will not give you only 9 months this time because you already had 3 months on your visa.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys

Thank you for your comments. Having arrived back in BKK, I can give you part two of my experience (not a sequel, more like the concluding chapter LOL)!

I currently have a single entry VISA, since I obtained it in Laos and not in my home country of Australia. When re-entering, the VISA number that I needed to put down on the entry slip was the number of the re-entry permit and not the VISA number on my Non-immigrant B.

Other than that, it was smooth all the way!

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Hey, the op here took the time to start a thread which he thought would be helpful to others.

Can you please try to be nice.

and your problem is!!!!!!

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the info. I need to return to Australia sometime soon due to personal reasons for maybe 2 weeks. I am on an Extension of Stay due to Marriage which won't expire until early 2015.

What impact does getting a re-entry permit have on the timeframes of my 90 day reporting (next one due August 11) and my Extension of stay?

Thanks for any response.

You don't have to make report of staying longer than 90 days in the country if you are not here. You need to make a report 90 days from the date you enter the country including that date in the count.

The re-entry permit changes nothing as far as your extension is concerned. You must be here to do it or you loose it. Also the re-entry permit will only be valid up to the date your extension ends.

I am on an extension based on retirement (commonly called a retirement visa) my wife (Thai National) and myself are going to UK for up to 3 months, We hope to leave in early August (we already have a visa for UK), and my extension runs out in Dec. What I would like to know, How long is a re-entry permit valid for, If we extend our visit to UK beyond the end date of my extension what do I require to get back into LOS do I have to re-apply for an ext based on retirement or does the re-entry permit push back the date for the extension.I don't want to have to go through the nausea of the application at the Thai consulate in Cardiff, they are not too bad but seem to be very confused about the rules as I suppose is everyone at the moment.

Edited by JenksB

See Ubonjoe's post immediately above yours.

A re-entry permit does not extend anything, it simply keeps your current permission to stay alive.

When you return you will be stamped to the same date as your current permission.

• 1 month later...

Just to confirm the easy procedure at Suvarnabhumi Airport. I went to the One Stop Visa Centre in Bangkok to get a re-entry permit for my Retirement Visa to take a trip out of the country. The very nice lady told me I could not do it there as my visa was issued in Chiang Mai, but I could go to Chaeng Wattana, the main Immigration office, to do it or turn up early on the day of the flight at the Airport and do it there.

I chose to try the airport, and just through Departures after checking in I was directed to the Re-Entry Permit desk just in front of the Immigration desks. There they declined to accept my completed application form with photo, but took my photo again, filled in the details of my passport and printed another application form with photo at a non-voluntary charge of 200 baht plus the 1000 baht for the single re-entry permit.

I signed this, waited 5 to 10 minutes for processing and then received my passport back with the permit inside. I was lucky there was no queue, but best to turn up well in advance for your flight in case there is a delay. Remember to fill in the Re-entry permit number on your Arrival Card when you fly back in the "Visa Number" space, and it will be straightforward.

I was amused to see the Re-Entry Permit Desk had a notice printed in English which was a straight lift from ThaiVisa.com, even down to the line that said "In an emergency you can get a Re-Entry Permit at the airport but no member has reported being successful with this". I was successful!

All very slick and easy

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to post my experiences in Don Muang. There is a re-entry desk there but it is after you go through immigration (as opposed to before immigration like in swampy). Just make sure you tell the officer that you need a re-entry permit when getting your passport stamped.