Chiang Mai -vs- Ecuador

chiangmaicondo

It's only a few thousand gringo expats in a moderately sized city. No comparison to expat numbers in a number of places in Thailand.

BTW, now it's only a rumor, but recently I have read "chatter" that the leftist anti-American leader of Ecuador (Correa) is planning to significantly raise the financial requirements for retired expat residency ... which are now among the lowest in the world, lower than Thailand. While normally I don't much value rumors, I think it's worth noting because now the requirements are low and I feel there is a good chance if you achieve the residency at current levels, that would likely hold after any changes, and surely like anywhere changes will happen at some future point. It's not like Thailand with annual applications.

You can qualify with pension income, real estate purchase, or bank deposit which you can't touch (something like 20K USD for the deposit method). The real estate method is dicey because the value thresholds are based on the amount on the TAX books and that is reportedly usually radically much lower than the actual sales price (sounds corrupt, huh?).

However, of course, there are never any guarantees that residency obtained in any country will remain in effect. A rather horrifying example comes recently from neighboring COLOMBIA. There are foreigners now with residency stamps in their passports with no expiration dates (in other words, LIFETIME) and Colombia just changed the rules on them, shortening lifetime to FIVE years.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My understanding is they make the Mexicans look like Martha Stewart. Short/fat/ indigenous looking. Short time hotels are the nastiest, ever.

Another reason to choose Ecuador. You'll find fewer idiot expats like this one who don't know what they are talking about but like to post to get a reaction.

Will you be there in Ecuador? :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Here's another fun Thailand-Ecuador question.

Do you know that officially Thailand requires a yellow fever vaccination certificate if you've been in Ecuador?

That would be silly to get if visiting places like Cuenca and Quito, not so silly for the Amazon region.

Is this really enforced ... especially if not directly traveling from Ecuador to Thailand?
In other words if you've got recent Ecuador stamps, but you flight is actually coming from the USA, for example.

If anyone is wondering about the Internet speed and connection options in Cuenca and Ecuador in general, I've found this interesting link:

http://www.gringosabroad.com/ecuador-internet-2013/

Very interesting Topic as my wife and I are moving to Ecuador in about a year or so.

Any other recommendation of interesting cities to live in?

Good luck and keep us posted! Looks like Ecuador is making waves.

Bill Black, former US bank regulator and anti-corruption crusader, has recently praised Ecuador for significantly reducing poverty in the country and boosting the economy.

You can compare the country Ecuador to the city Chiang Mai. Ecuador has Amazonian rainforest and it has high Andean mountains .... two very different climates.

Ecuador presently has very favorable policies for expats ... and you can own land out right. There are also some beautiful areas with ideal tropical climate. However, for such a life-changing decision I wouldn't rely upon the hear-say of strangers. You need to go to Ecuador and check it out yourself.

BTW, Costa Rica is nice also with excellent expat policies.

Would recommend Ecuador over Thailand in a second and more specifically Cuenca over Chiang Mai. Main reasons for me - climate, people, food, culture with about the same cost of living numbers.

Only problem is it will cost you some serious pesos to fly over for a visit to decide if you like it so there are some major expenses involved unlike if you were considering somewhere closer like Cambodia or the PI. If you got the funds though, definitely worth checking out.

How about the ladies, Cuenca vs CM?

The devout Catholic ladies of Ecuador are very very different than the Thai ladies. And as to working girls, Thailand is a green fertile valley and Ecuador is a dusty desert. Also, when it comes to the care and feeding of an expat boyfriend or husband, Thai women are far superior.

BTW, now it's only a rumor, but recently I have read "chatter" that the leftist anti-American leader of Ecuador (Correa) is planning to significantly raise the financial requirements for retired expat residency

To call Correa "anti-American" is a bit of a stretch. He graduated from university in the U.S. and has ties to the country. He is certainly pro-Ecuadorian, much more so than past presidents of the country have been...most of them have been about propping up the wealthy oligarchy or have been totally incompetent. Ecuador has a long history of large-U.S. backed companies coming in and exploiting natural resources and Correa is attempting to stop it.

BTW, now it's only a rumor, but recently I have read "chatter" that the leftist anti-American leader of Ecuador (Correa) is planning to significantly raise the financial requirements for retired expat residency

To call Correa "anti-American" is a bit of a stretch. He graduated from university in the U.S. and has ties to the country. He is certainly pro-Ecuadorian, much more so than past presidents of the country have been...most of them have been about propping up the wealthy oligarchy or have been totally incompetent. Ecuador has a long history of large-U.S. backed companies coming in and exploiting natural resources and Correa is attempting to stop it.

I never said he was the same as Chavez but yes he uses a lot of anti-American political rhetoric. It's not entirely off topic either, because the leftist government there seems well established and that means a lot of policies that aren't so great for expats, such as massive import taxes on things like peanut butter and electronics. Compared to Colombia, yes the government in Ecuador is anti-American. But American people are very welcome to live there and especially visit as tourists.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013/06/24/ecuador-snowden/2451865/

President Rafael Correa, 49, of Ecuador has long followed in the footsteps of the Castros in Cuba and the late Hugo Chávez in Venezuela as a harsh critic and adversary of Washington.

He regularly rails against so-called U.S. imperialism and capitalism, even though he obtained a doctorate in economics from the University of Illinois.

An “anti-imperialist” country welcomes American pensioners

http://www.economist.com/node/21543491

Edited by Jingthing

I graduated from college in Ecuador and lived there for about a year (this was about 10 years ago). I can tell you Ecuador is so much better than Thailand in terms of people and culture. They are genuine and welcoming there and I made good friends with the locals. After living in Thailand for around three years I have almost an opposite feeling about the locals here.

Thailand is better on a superficial level in the sense that it has more conveniences, restaurant variety, etc. But people in Ecuador are so much better, it's just a better climate overall.

I speak Spanish fluently. While I wouldn't call my Thai fluent, I can have a conversation and read and write.

Exactly my perception as well. The Ecuadorians are sincere and friendly and along with the climate and culture Ecuador beats Thailand hands down.

Unless you have been to both Thailand and Ecuador, I don't think you can make any legit comparisons between the two. I do know the people I have met who have had the opportunity to spend time and visit each country overwhelmingly prefer Ecuador. While I would put Ecuador in 1st place as a location to consider for retirement, Thailand wouldn't make my top 10 list unless a low cost of living is your only criteria. An okay to visit but definitely not somewhere I would ever consider living again.

• Like 1

Would recommend Ecuador over Thailand in a second and more specifically Cuenca over Chiang Mai. Main reasons for me - climate, people, food, culture with about the same cost of living numbers.

Only problem is it will cost you some serious pesos to fly over for a visit to decide if you like it so there are some major expenses involved unlike if you were considering somewhere closer like Cambodia or the PI. If you got the funds though, definitely worth checking out.

The devout Catholic ladies of Ecuador are very very different than the Thai ladies. And as to working girls, Thailand is a green fertile valley and Ecuador is a dusty desert. Also, when it comes to the care and feeding of an expat boyfriend or husband, Thai women are far superior.

You've never been to Ecuador have you?

I never said he was the same as Chavez but yes he uses a lot of anti-American political rhetoric. It's not entirely off topic either, because the leftist government there seems well established and that means a lot of policies that aren't so great for expats, such as massive import taxes on things like peanut butter and electronics. Compared to Colombia, yes the government in Ecuador is anti-American. But American people are very welcome to live there and especially visit as tourists.

I see... yes, I can understand that. My experience is that Ecuador is much more welcoming to foreigners than Thailand in terms of integrating into the community and being accepted. I find Thailand to be rather xenophobic and the people to be superficially polite, status/class minded, and eager to look down on others. I think we are not looked at as much as people in Thailand but rather what's in our wallets and we are all farang.

I find Ecuadorians to be the opposite. I find that Ecuadorians were eager to separate the person from the nationality and are much more broader minded, genuine, and humble.

I know a lot of people disagree with my point of view and love Thai people and that's fine.

It would take you a week to find a group (of locals) this ugly in CM.

Care to share your photo?

Beauty also comes from within and the Ecuadorians are truly beautiful people in more ways than one. Ask anyone who has spent time in both Thailand and Ecuador which one they prefer overall and there should be a clear winner. A clue for you since you probably need one, is the answer isn't Thailand.

Do you currently live in Ecuador or Thailand?

Well it is certainly obvious the political system here in Thailand is taking it's toll with forigners. But it seems to me that it is not uncommon to hear of political unrest in south America how is the political situation in Equator?

Political situation in Ecuador is presently stable. However, it also has a history of military dictatorships and coup detats.

It would take you a week to find a group (of locals) this ugly in CM.

Care to share your photo?

Beauty also comes from within and the Ecuadorians are truly beautiful people in more ways than one. Ask anyone who has spent time in both Thailand and Ecuador which one they prefer overall and there should be a clear winner. A clue for you since you probably need one, is the answer isn't Thailand.

I've lived in Thailand a long time. I've visited Ecuador several times and only spent a total of about three months there all together. But, FWIW, I'd choose Thailand any day over Ecuador ... in fact, I already have. But that's me. Other people's experiences, taste, needs, etc. will vary.

And for those to whom it matters: Overall, the beauty and style of the Thai ladies is far superior.

Cebu Philippines was always my plan B but still haven't made it there, yet!

I like PI, but security and crime wise it's way worse than Thailand.

Cebu is worth a visit. It didn't ring my bell though but I can see why many like it.

I've lived in Thailand a long time. I've visited Ecuador several times and only spent a total of about three months there all together. But, FWIW, I'd choose Thailand any day over Ecuador ... in fact, I already have. But that's me. Other people's experiences, taste, needs, etc. will vary.

And for those to whom it matters: Overall, the beauty and style of the Thai ladies is far superior.

Couldn't disagree more. Ecuadorian women are down to earth, not interested in money (in general) and laid back. But there's almost no pay for play, sugar daddy/little girl, etc... but I was a young man when I was living in Ecuador and continue to be here in Thailand, so it might not be the same for a different age group.

I would say Ecuadorian women's looks are not drop dead gorgeous but there are some cuties there as well.

OK, it's settled: Ecuador is better than Thailand. Please, everybody, put the word out so westerners will stop moving here. Let the Chinese and Russians know as well. Hopefully the Chinese will make a movie set in Cuenca.

The Chinese are already there - you'll notice some chinese restaurants as anywhere in he world.

But I wouldn't recomend to eat there as the quality has nothing to do with what is known from other chinese restaurants worldwide...

Take a "cui" instead.

Thanks to the OP for bringing Ecuador back to my mind, although it's like 20 years ago that I've been there I really enjoyed it.

But legally it's quite similar to Thailand with the difference that in Ecuador you might even win a case in court but without any difference for the outcome, the ecuadorians do whatever they like... (the case I'm thinkin of: eco resort where the town yould like to cut through the territory to build a new street, canadian owner went to court and won the case - nevertheless the town built the street destroying the economic base of the resort).

The traffic was a lot better e.g. red traffic lights in Ecuador are no reccomendation but taken serious tongue.png

Bye,

Derk

here is one cost comparison for the two places... I once considered Edcuador, along with Panama, Brasil and Mexico.... for my own reasons, i chose thailand

Cost of Living Comparison Between Chiang Mai and Cuenca 24px-view-refresh.png
You would need around 2,140.42$ (69,359.99฿) in Cuenca to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with 56,000.00฿ in Chiang Mai (assuming you rent in both cities). This calculation uses our Consumer Prices Including Rent Index.
Indices Difference information.png Consumer Prices in Cuenca are 16.46% higher than in Chiang Mai Consumer Prices Including Rent in Cuenca are 23.86% higher than in Chiang Mai Rent Prices in Cuenca are 51.67% higher than in Chiang Mai Restaurant Prices in Cuenca are 13.28% higher than in Chiang Mai Groceries Prices in Cuenca are 30.74% higher than in Chiang Mai Local Purchasing Power in Cuenca is 30.58% lower than in Chiang Mai
  • Like 2

Sexpats ... you'll be wanting to look at Medellin Colombia. Wild nightlife. Forget Ecuador for that stuff.

In the 70s I spent five winters in Colombia for a total of about two years in country. It's a very beautiful country and I had great fun and adventures there. However, having traveled in 60-plus countries I can easily say that Colombia is the most dangerous place I've ever been. But I was in my twenties and couldn't die ... or so I thought.

Don't get me wrong, there are some great people in Colombia, but, I still have to say it has more lying, stealing, cheating a__holes per capita than any country I know.

Graduating from a US university does my no means indicate not being "anti-American" ... not by a long shot.

You've never been to Ecuador have you?

Actually, I have been there several times. Otherwise, why would I venture an opinion? Unlike you, I speak of what I know.

• Like 2

I lived in Ecuador for almost three years, in Alborda, just outside Guayaquil. Cuenca is great, so is Quito. A sexist comment here, but the women are generally stunning when young, but tend to bulk up. Still, the national flag of Ecuador could be a push-up bra. A big plus in my opinion is the language since it uses a Latin based alphabet (can read the road signs!) People-wise I think it's a push -- I love Thais and Ecuadorians equally. When I lived there (10 years ago) the corruption was on a par with here, at least at the grassroots level (I ran a bar and the local constabulary were very conscientious with "inspections".) Heck, give it a go. Most of South America is still an undiscovered secret.

Graduating from a US university does my no means indicate not being "anti-American" ... not by a long shot.

Agreed. However, my experience is that Ecuador is vastly more welcoming to foreigners than Thailand. The president might be more critical of the U.S. (IMO rightly critical) than Thailand but the general feeling with Ecuadorians is more welcoming and promoting of integration and equality than Thai people who want quite the opposite.

Lived in Ecuador about 1.5 years 10 years ago and have lived in Thailand going on 3.