Chiang Mai -vs- Ecuador

chiangmaicondo

here is one cost comparison for the two places... I once considered Edcuador, along with Panama, Brasil and Mexico.... for my own reasons, i chose thailand

Cost of Living Comparison Between Chiang Mai and Cuenca 24px-view-refresh.png
You would need around 2,140.42$ (69,359.99฿) in Cuenca to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with 56,000.00฿ in Chiang Mai (assuming you rent in both cities). This calculation uses our Consumer Prices Including Rent Index.
Indices Difference information.png Consumer Prices in Cuenca are 16.46% higher than in Chiang Mai Consumer Prices Including Rent in Cuenca are 23.86% higher than in Chiang Mai Rent Prices in Cuenca are 51.67% higher than in Chiang Mai Restaurant Prices in Cuenca are 13.28% higher than in Chiang Mai Groceries Prices in Cuenca are 30.74% higher than in Chiang Mai Local Purchasing Power in Cuenca is 30.58% lower than in Chiang Mai

I suggest you don't rely too much on that website for cost of living numbers as I've found them to be way off in a number of comparisons and highly inaccurate. More realistic figures are you can live in Cuenca with the same amenities as Chiang Mai for about the same expenditures per month.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand is becoming a country where buffoons lead buffalos claiming democracy. There'll be no peace except destroying what used to be a wonderful country! Is this progress? Is Eucador anything like that if you put Chavez the like aside?

To clarify what I meant about easy RESIDENCY, I meant that literally.

For expats in Thailand, you can fairly easily find ways to live here and qualify EVERY year.

That is not residency. Those are NON-IMMIGRANT VISAS.

But permanent residency status is very difficult and there is no path at all for those coming to Thailand to retire.

Contrast to Ecuador, if you are going to retire there, RESIDENCY status is exactly what you will be seeking from the start. These are IMMIGRANT visas.

As far as the university degree visa question from before, no, just having a university degree doesn't cut it, but if you've got degree qualifications and intentions to practice a PROFESSIONAL practice in Ecuador, yes there is a residency possible with that. Professionals, you know ... for example doctors ...

Edited by Jingthing

For expats in Thailand, you can fairly easily find ways to live here and qualify EVERY year.

But permanent residency status is very difficult and there is no path at all for those coming to Thailand to retire.

Contrast to Ecuador, if you are going to retire there, RESIDENCY status is exactly what you will be seeking from the start. These are IMMIGRANT visas.

As far as the university degree visa question from before, no, just having a university degree doesn't cut it, but if you've got degree qualifications and intentions to practice a PROFESSIONAL practice in Ecuador, yes there is a residency possible with that. Professionals, you know ... for example doctors ...

Say, what about retired people with moola? Can they get PR and buy a house?

You are wrong there Jingthing about the Professional Visa 9-V for Ecuador. Excuse the bluntness. And please do inform yourself. This is certainly not the norm for any other country for sure. Lisa Cho is an authority on the subject, please read her blog post about what it takes - you need a degree certificate, duly apostilled, notarized, and officially approved and all that and you don't need to have employment or be a practicing professional for this visa (Lisa herself blogs and teaches salsa, not practicing any conventional profession as such in Ecuador. For anyone interested in checking out life in Cuenca Ecuador, Lisa's blog has some good insights):

http://cuencacultureshock.com/201302how-to-get-a-professional-residency-visa-9-v-in-ecuador-html/

I know of at least 2 people personally who got residency in Ecuador through the 9-V Professional visa by virtue of just having a university degree.

Perhaps I should have shut up about this so that this "loophole" remains a "closely guarded secret" so it doesn't get abused and taken away.

Oh and thank you everyone for the kudos and likes for my original post on this thread smile.png.

Edited by santaf
  • Like 1

In Thailand. No. In Ecuador. Very easily. There is NO path whatsoever for a retired person to move to Thailand get PR.

You are wrong there Jingthing about the Professional Visa 9-V for Ecuador. Excuse the bluntness. And please do inform yourself. This is certainly not the norm for any other country for sure. Lisa Cho is an authority on the subject, please read her blog post about what it takes - you need a degree certificate, duly apostilled, notarized, and officially approved and all that and you don't need to have employment or be a practicing professional for this visa (Lisa herself blogs and teaches salsa, not practicing any conventional profession as such in Ecuador. For anyone interested in checking out life in Cuenca Ecuador, Lisa's blog has some good insights):

http://cuencacultureshock.com/201302how-to-get-a-professional-residency-visa-9-v-in-ecuador-html/

I know of at least 2 people personally who got residency in Ecuador through the 9-V Professional visa by virtue of just having a university degree.

Perhaps I should have shut up about this so that this "loophole" remains a "closely guarded secret" so it doesn't get abused and taken away.

Oh and thank you everyone for the kudos and likes for my original post on this thread smile.png.

OK fine.

Apparently it's not popular and also more complicated to get than the more popular options (CD in bank, real estate, pension). You win. clap2.gif

I will say if you got a visa that way with no intention to actually practice your profession there, to my view that is a kind of soft fraud. Crackdowns can happen in Ecuador too.

My point is from their government's POV, if they are offering residency through that, they are looking for a benefit to their country. If many people abused that and didn't actually bring value with their education/professions such a program likely wouldn't last long. So it's probably a good thing it's not (yet) popular.

So it sounds like a good plan for people who actually want to do some kind of work activity in Ecuador. There are also options for starting businesses, working as an employee, and being a student but nothing nearly as freewheeling as the Thailand student ED visa, which everyone knows is wildly abused (and subject to periodic crackdowns).

Edited by Jingthing

In Thailand. No. In Ecuador. Very easily. There is NO path whatsoever for a retired person to move to Thailand get PR.

Em, the prices are posted on the wall at the immigration office. And it's explained on their website.

Now, it takes a lot of determination and far too much money, so most people don't bother. I'll grant you all of that. But 'no path' is incorrect.

And once you get it it's for life, not 10 years.

Em, the prices are posted on the wall at the immigration office. And it's explained on their website.

Now, it takes a lot of determination and far too much money, so most people don't bother. I'll grant you all of that. But 'no path' is incorrect.

Nope.

Again, if you move to Thailand and start on retirement status, there is NO PATH to permanent residence status. Period. No path. If you know of a path going from retirement extensions to permanent residence, please post this big news on the Thai visa forum, OK? I mean please. It would be big news.

Not talking about people working in Thailand here. Talking about people moving here not work who would hope for more permanent residence status here, and it is simply not available to them.

Also note, first time here I have ever heard residency visas Ecuador are only good for 10 years (talking about pension, CD deposit, real estate) so I am skeptical. I do know you can choose to go into citizenship with it as already noted although not sure why you'd want to. I also recently heard with the CD method, you need to do some bank action annually to roll it over or something like that, otherwise you would lose the basis of your qualification. Similarly if you get it based on real estate and you sell the real estate, that's the end of that. Talking here about Pensioner Visa and the Investor Visa.

Edited by Jingthing

Nope.

Again, if you move to Thailand and start on retirement status, there is NO PATH to permanent residence status. Period. No path. If you know of a path going from retirement extensions to permanent residence, please post this big news on the Thai visa forum, OK? I mean please. It would be big news.

Not talking about people working in Thailand here. Talking about people moving here not work who would hope for more permanent residence status here, and it is simply not available to them.

You're comparing a fresh start in Ecuador to a history of retirement extensions in Thailand. Personally I could apply for PR in Thailand tomorrow. So there is a path and it's clearly explained.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

Nope.

You're comparing a fresh start in Ecuador to a history of retirement extensions in Thailand. Personally I could apply for PR in Thailand tomorrow. So there is a path and it's clearly explained.

I am comparing paths from starting with retirement. That's it. Starting with retirement in Ecuador, you START by applying for PERMANENT residence. Starting with retirement in Thailand, you go for annual retirement extensions for as long as you live in Thailand. There is no path to permanent residence that way. You have your own history in Thailand that is different from starting here as a retired expat and doing nothing else. Clearly.

This is a BIG PLUS for Ecuador vs. Thailand for people moving abroad to retire. Residency security in retirement is definitely desirable Thailand does not offer that for those who first move here only to retire.

Also please put your money where your mouth is instead of telling us to read the rules on the wall. If you REALLY know a way for a person to first move to Thailand on retirement extensions, do nothing else in Thailand with a different status other than retirement extensions, and with retirement extension status be eligible for permanent residence in Thailand ... tell us, OK? How about it? I really want to know.

Edited by Jingthing

Wow, this topic has gone viral.............maybe the heat and smoke at this time of the year that has us dreaming of cooler/greener pastures?? That's the main attraction for me..........cooler/cleaner climate.

I've read thru most of this topic and admit that I am curious, but I don't remember reading what the airfare [and route] is to get there from CM. Can anyone answer that?? And I wonder what the airfare is from the US??

And, lastly...........what are the tourist visa costs/limitations??

Maybe the OP can inform us if he has the time.

or maybe since there are so many of us curious and heat stroked Thai expats, we could charter a plane there??

Edited by jaideeguy

Ditto jaideeguy. This thread started out as an innocent question. The fevered interest only shows people are "thinking" about plan B. I've lived in chiang mai 11 years and everything sure has

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Nope.

I am comparing paths from starting with retirement. That's it. Starting with retirement in Ecuador, you START by applying for PERMANENT residence. Starting with retirement in Thailand, you go for annual retirement extensions for as long as you live in Thailand. There is no path to permanent residence that way. You have your own history in Thailand that is different from starting here as a retired expat and doing nothing else. Clearly.

This is a BIG PLUS for Ecuador vs. Thailand for people moving abroad to retire. Residency security in retirement is definitely desirable Thailand does not offer that for those who first move here only to retire.

Also please put your money where your mouth is instead of telling us to read the rules on the wall. If you REALLY know a way for a person to first move to Thailand on retirement extensions, do nothing else in Thailand with a different status other than retirement extensions, and with retirement extension status be eligible for permanent residence in Thailand ... tell us, OK? How about it? I really want to know.

No, I'm saying that permanent residency is available in Thailand, including for people like me. But I'll take your word for it that you can't do it on retirement extensions.

This may have been covered before, but, to me, I would worry about rain in Ecuador more than Thailand. CM has about 4 months of very little rain, but Cuenca seems to experience rain all year at a steady pace. Also, I do think CM is too hot most of the time; however, the average high in Cuenca seems to be about 65F all year. that is too cold for me, but if retired it might feel great. I am sure the air quality is better in Cuenca.

I have heard traveling in south america is 100x harder than Asia, and the people might not try to speak English.

My 2 cents: spend 2 weeks in Ecuador, 2 weeks in Columbia, head down to Argentina (their currency and political climate is a mess), and then consider Taiwan. And, no matter what, go with your gut feeling. CM is the only city outside of USA i considered "home". Yes, i complain about the heat and air quality; however, i complain in the USA about other things. enjoy

Colombia is probably the most misspelled country in the world ... even in newspapers and magazines that should know better. There is no country spelled Columbia. Don't mean to be the spelling police ... it's just a pet peeve.

I understand. To me, it's when people say "looser" for "loser" or "your" instead of "you're".

I apologize for my lack of proper geographic vernacular. and made up sentences.

I will do 1,349 lashes, 343 hail marys (I don't think it's mary's, lol), tattoo a map of south america on my chest, and ask for Buddha's's forgiveness.

I do know better, but i type fast and, if you read any of my other posts, you will know i ramble with a weak attempt at comedy. now it is a weak attempt at comedy with poor spelling.

Colombia. Columbia. I will write it on my wall 234,245 times.

• Like 1

Ditto jaideeguy. This thread started out as an innocent question. The fevered interest only shows people are "thinking" about plan B. I've lived in chiang mai 11 years and everything sure has

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Every thing sure has

What has?

I have absolutely no intention of leaving Thailand for another country.

That doesn't mean I am not interested in other countries. I have visited all the surrounding countries here with the exception of Laos which I will take care of next year.

I have looked at a visit to Mexico but the only way I could find it was through the states which is unacceptable as my wife would then have to get a visa for them. To get to Ecuador I am sure would be the same. I did not make an exhaustive search so I could be wrong. I wonder with all the interest generated here the people who have been there have not mentioned it. With the exception of the one poster who said flights out of Ecuador are very expensive.

I really can't understand people using it as a back up plan and having no idea of how to get there or how much it cost's to get there. Sounds like a faulty back up plan to me.

As for prices rising they are rising all over the world not an issue.

Edited by northernjohn

The only country I visited that I liked culturally about as much as Thailand is Laos. (Which is a very similar culture and language, obviously). Don't know if you can stay there longer term though. Probably not as easy/conveniently as Thailand.

Vietnam was also okay, though the language is much harder than Lao (when you already speak/read Thai)

Of course I don't really have a Plan B; I'm a lot more settled in Thailand than I ever was in any other country. Things like schools for the kids become a factor. So that probably rules out many places already.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

Vietnam was also okay, though the language is much harder than Lao (when you already speak/read Thai)

I loved traveling in Vietnam, but was not so crazy about living there. The people are way too aggressive for me and the language is more difficult than Thai. Really good foreign restaurants and lots of different brands of very cheap beer though. It was cheaper than bottled water back in the late 90s.

A quick search on tripadvisor and another site revealed a return ticket price ranging from 85KTHB to over 200KTHB and taking 40hrs of travel CNX/UIO [Quito].............an expensive and long exploratory trip and more if you decide to return with your 'stuff' .

Speaking of 'stuff', what are restrictions on bringing in personal items?? and excess baggage charges are no longer cheap.

Still dreaming while stuck indoors from the heat and smog, wishing I was up in the foothills of the Andes chilling out.

A quick search on tripadvisor and another site revealed a return ticket price ranging from 85KTHB to over 200KTHB and taking 40hrs of travel CNX/UIO [Quito].............an expensive and long exploratory trip and more if you decide to return with your 'stuff' .

Speaking of 'stuff', what are restrictions on bringing in personal items?? and excess baggage charges are no longer cheap.

Still dreaming while stuck indoors from the heat and smog, wishing I was up in the foothills of the Andes chilling out.

At other times in the past, the cheapest flight was to go from here to Madrid (possibly with a stopover) and buy a flight from Madrid to Quito. I'm not sure if it still remains the case but it is worth looking into if you are looking for a cheap flight.

Would recommend Ecuador over Thailand in a second and more specifically Cuenca over Chiang Mai. Main reasons for me - climate, people, food, culture with about the same cost of living numbers.

Only problem is it will cost you some serious pesos to fly over for a visit to decide if you like it so there are some major expenses involved unlike if you were considering somewhere closer like Cambodia or the PI. If you got the funds though, definitely worth checking out.

How about the ladies, Cuenca vs CM?

Be serious!

Latinas versus Thais...... no contest. In my experience from living in Brazil and to a lesser extent Uruguay latina's win every time in the 'Sexy Stakes'. Like comparing a sherry trifle to a sponge cake. smile.png

They're evenly matched when it comes to being impossible at times though. sad.png

If/when I explore Colombia or Ecuador, it's likely to be while I'm already visiting the USA.

I recently did a rough price check for both trips.

RT to Cuenca from east coast USA -- over 1000 dollars. Change in Quito.

RT to Medellin Colombia -- about 750 dollars. Direct.

For those who always thought Mexico was an option for lower income retired expats, think again, they have recently massively raised their financial requirements. The level now is well above the average USA social security pension check. Yes people are afraid of Mexico now due to the drug violence but there are still nice and safe places, like Puerto Vallarta.

Cuenca really is geographically undesirable as far as international connections, always having to go through Quito.

Edited by Jingthing

If/when I explore Colombia or Ecuador, it's likely to be while I'm already visiting the USA.

For those who always thought Mexico was an option for lower income retired expats, think again, they have recently massively raised their financial requirements. The level now is well above the average USA social security pension check. Yes people are afraid of Mexico now due to the drug violence but there are still nice and safe places, like Puerto Vallarta.

Cuenca really is geographically undesirable as far as international connections, always having to go through Quito.

There are some massively cheaper fares than the ones you posted. I looked into this about two months ago so this was true at that point. Fly from Miami to Quito for the cheapest routes. Choose domestic trips in the U.S to Miami and then Quito to Cuenca is very inexpensive. I've also done the Quito to Cuenca trip by bus and it is no big deal, but it ain't everyone's cup of tea to travel by bus.

• Like 1

Dont think I will be returning anytime soon, as they have

had some nasty earthquakes in the area,the last time i

was there must have been forty odd years ago,and do not

remember much about it,preferred Costa Rica at the time

which where I was going when I got stuck in Chiang Mai.

regards Worgeordie

There are some massively cheaper fares than the ones you posted. I looked into this about two months ago so this was true at that point. Fly from Miami to Quito for the cheapest routes. Choose domestic trips in the U.S to Miami and then Quito to Cuenca is very inexpensive. I've also done the Quito to Cuenca trip by bus and it is no big deal, but it ain't everyone's cup of tea to travel by bus.

Care to share those massively cheaper fares.

I at one time before coming to Thailand had considered Uruguay.

Great point about Guayaquil more convenient to Cuenca but most U.S. cities don't fly directly there, rather to Quito. I still think Cuenca is geographically inconvenient, but so is Chiang Mai compared to Bangkok.

Thanks Cuenca dude, for coming on here.

For an exploratory trip to Cuenca to get a fair chance to decently explore it with the idea of a retirement residence possibility, how long a visit would you suggest? I would think a month.

Obviously if you arrived and HATED IT the first day or so, booking a month would be a mistake ...

Edited by Jingthing