Ordering stuff with that ATM card online (visa.master card debit)

Hi

I have SCB account. I dont seem to be able to use my card as a debit card. They said if i need to order online i need a credit card but as a farang i cant get one.

Any ideas?

Seems a bit stupid the biggest bank in Thailand doesnt offer visa or master card debit card facilities that can be used online

I asked about this at SCB the other day and was put on the phone to someone who told me that the SCB Mastercard debit card/ATM card that I have can only be used to make purchases online with Thai Air Asia and one other... can't recall what she said now but it was possibly Nok Air. In any event, it's basically intended for use as an ATM card and for in-store purchases only, not for online shopping, which is kinda annoying.

And as a farang you can get a credit card btw, subject to satisfying certain criteria...

I have used my UK bank debit card (Visa) to purchase hotel bookings and flights online, the process always involves "Verified by Visa" where you enter a code and password to complete the transaction. I am not sure if any of the Thai banks using visa have this "verifed by visa" option and so maybe that is why there are problems with purchasing on line.

At Kaesikorn bank you can get a virtual credit card (they call it "shopping card") which is actually a Visa number with expiration date same as a plastic version. I have used it online in Thailand and for three separate occasions at AliBaba site in China.

I have used my UK bank debit card (Visa) to purchase hotel bookings and flights online, the process always involves "Verified by Visa" where you enter a code and password to complete the transaction. I am not sure if any of the Thai banks using visa have this "verifed by visa" option and so maybe that is why there are problems with purchasing on line.

Same with my Bangkok Bank Visa debit card. So yes, (some) Thai banks do.

The only time I have used my card on-line is to book hotels and flights, but some of those hotels were not in Thailand. Not sure that is significant though. I have never tried to buy merchandise on-line in Thaland, but have used the card in stores and restraunts on occasion.

Keep in mind some online merchants do not accept debit cards, but will accept credit cards. Heck, even some rental car agencies won't accept debit cards but gladly accept credit cards even when you are standing at their desk in the airport wanting to rent a car.

My Bangkok Bank Debit card attached to a passbook savings account does not have my name on it but there is a security code on the back. Although it is always accepted locally for point of sale purchases, I have always been refused when have tried to use it for an online or phone order purchase. Even locally based "LAZADA" required C.O.D.

whistling.gif I just went through this with my U.S. bank MasterCard ATM/debit card.

I received a new MasterCard in February when I was back in the U.S.

In March I booked a hotel in the U.S. for a trip I have to make in April.

My card was blocked because of that attempted hotel booking.

Had to make 3 international calls at my expense to finally talk to a woman in the card "Fraud" office.

I had a "case" number. Found out the reason my card was blocked as a possible "fraud" case was because the booking originated in Thailand and my card "was not specifically noted that it might be used outside the United States at the time it was issued" (as a replacement card).

Apparently, although I told the little fluff head (pretty but dense) who issued it to me that I lived in Thailand and I would be living there and using the card on-line, she never entered that info on my card application when she issued.

So, the first time I tried to use my card outside the U.S. on-line my card was blocked for "possible fraudulent use".

whistling.gif I just went through this with my U.S. bank MasterCard ATM/debit card.

I received a new MasterCard in February when I was back in the U.S.

In March I booked a hotel in the U.S. for a trip I have to make in April.

My card was blocked because of that attempted hotel booking.

Had to make 3 international calls at my expense to finally talk to a woman in the card "Fraud" office.

I had a "case" number. Found out the reason my card was blocked as a possible "fraud" case was because the booking originated in Thailand and my card "was not specifically noted that it might be used outside the United States at the time it was issued" (as a replacement card).

Apparently, although I told the little fluff head (pretty but dense) who issued it to me that I lived in Thailand and I would be living there and using the card on-line, she never entered that info on my card application when she issued.

So, the first time I tried to use my card outside the U.S. on-line my card was blocked for "possible fraudulent use".

I always inform my CC company that I will be in Thailand/SE Asia and to not block the card if used. That strategy has worked, so far.

Plus, if I plan to make a large purchase, I call the CC company and let them know the approx amount, my location and the time frame I will be making the purchase.

My latest replacement card from SCB is a HIP card and this is what is written on the front of the card where my name should be. I've been assuming that is why I couldn't use it online in Thailand but I'm also considering that my address on the account is probably in Thai and if I'm ordering something for delivery the addresses wouldn't match but I'm just speculating of course.

I've just opened a Kasikorn account and checked by looking at the screen in the bank that my address, province excepted, is in English. Once they have simple K-debit cards in stock I will get one and try again to purchase cinema tickets from Major Cineplex which is the last time I tried to use my SCB card and failed. I'm sure it won't be long after that I find something online to buy for delivery so I will try that too.

If you deposit 250000 THB into your SCB account, you can then get a visa / master card (credit card) which you can use online. This even applies if your on a 30 day visa. If your in Pattaya, the branch on soi Khao Talo does this.

Doesn't really sound like a credit card to me. If I'm going to deposit 4500 GBP with someone I would expect to get some reasonable interest payments. I understand it's a trade off for the convenience of having a 'credit' card but not one I would find beneficial for me personally.

I just bought an Fiio X3 portable music player from www.fiiothai.com today and paid with Paypal, hopefully more Thai merchants will accepting Paypal in the future.