B/O Visa, teaching and visa issues

I just found this on another forum and brought it over here for the genius' to comment.

Regarding teaching. It seems agencies (schools) prefer a B visa. These visas both to obtain and to renew seem to be nightmares. Must of read dozens of complicated stories of rejections in Vientiane, problems with labor, problems with tct...wint do this wont give that...sent bsck to Thsiland with no visa...

Here is the post:

Why would you change to a B from an O? It seems like B visas are nothing but a total hassle to get and maintain. If the school dumps you, back across the border for another O and 2-5k. Rinse repeat. Do agencies force you onto B visas as its not their hassle and easier to manipulate you.

★Another question. Is it possible to get a waiver on an O (yes) and wp (yes) but what do you do when the visa runs out? Get a new one in Lao? Is the wp tied to the visa#? So must you extend thereafter? Marriage extensions are also a total hassle - I just do runners. Think I am more sane in long run.

Thank you

Edited by fifthcolumn

If you are married to a Thai you can get work permits with an extension of stay or multiple entry non-o visa and work.

Neither are tied to your job, Only extensions of stay based upon working or teaching are tied to your job.

Extension of stay based upon marriage are not that big a problem to get. I have already done 6 of them.

Apologies - I had read here that if a school is insistent that you are on a B visa, you cannot convert an O visa within Thialand (Bangkok). Please, analysis, comments.

I recall a rash of teachers being turned back in Vientiane some months ago. What are the solid paperwork requirements for the B visa currently.

Which consulate or embassy best. I am familar with all. Looking for least hassle potentially.

What a clusterfxxk

The requirements to get a non-b for teaching in Vientiane is here: http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/vientiane/en/consular/consular_check/

They will not ask for the police certificate.

You cannot convert from one non immigrant visa entry to another. You can change the reason for an extension of stay from marriage to teaching or vice verse.

You can apply for an extension for teaching.with a non-o visa obtained from an embassy or consulate.

There may a few schools or their advisers that are stuck on stupid when they say you cannot work/teach with a non-o or extension of stay based upon marriage.

• Like 1

I have a feeling this is one of those, hence the questions. I will check the link, thx.

I've not extended and potentially have as much as to Dec 15. Not happy.

Btw would the "reason" for the O need be changed? You eluded to that. Do you know process for form#?

Honestly, I think its a control.thing. Yeah if you are single, they have you over a barrel. Marrieds its just money. Total bs if I need to do a runner.

Thanks Joe!

Sure, Joe referenced the purpose of the visa. Mine is marriage. That needs to be changed??? Don't know why, still msrried just working.

I'm on a multi O and do runners, never reported. I won't hit my extension till mid Sept-Dec.

Sorry for that.

PS visited embassy link. wow, that is a stsck of paper. What a pantload. Especially for marrieds.

Edited by fifthcolumn

What I said was for extension of stay not visas. You can change the reason for an extension if you have one already.

You cannot change the basis that a visa was issued for. Most visas do not state the basis for them being granted..

The requirements for an extension of stay only state that a non immigrant visa is needed it does not mention a class of visa.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Sure, Joe referenced the purpose of the visa. Mine is marriage. That needs to be changed??? Don't know why, still msrried just working.

I'm on a multi O and do runners, never reported. I won't hit my extension till mid Sept-Dec.

Sorry for that.

PS visited embassy link. wow, that is a stsck of paper. What a pantload. Especially for marrieds.

Easy to obtain an extension of stay based on marriage

A prime requisite is 400,00 Bhtb in a Thai bank or 40,000 Baht income evidenced by your Embassy or by Thai tax returns.

A single entry "B" visa is easily obtained as is the subsequent extension . The correct paperwork, provided by your employer will be needed.

Edited by thepool

Thank you Joe. I am on a visa, that visa has no less than six months left on it (up to nine). I beleive they had actually written "the reason" for the visa on it (I know there is writing) and that would make sense because O visa is so broad. I can ask my wife to read it, think we already had and it does state - issued on basis of marriage.

I'm baffled, but I think the answer is - I would need a B visa. Ugh.

So, O visa based on marriage cannot be issued a wp and waiver? You must be on extension of an O visa? I still do not understand the "reason". Reason I have the O is marriage. I get the idea that one needs to state a reason for the extension and that reason must be teaching? ?? Despite the visa originally being issued for marriage? Lost. Sorry.

Bottom line: I cannot be issued a wp and waiver if I am on an O visa. I need to be on extension? The reason for the extension needs to be changed from marriage to teaching - despite the O visa being issued for marriage.

Straight up, when or hiw is a person with an O eligable for wp and visa?

Any idea how long police checks take, I think I had read weeks. This should take a day or two.

Pool: cannot extend the visa, too much time on it. I also have money strewn over four accounts I would need to pull together and miss the "seasoning" period. I will never go the B visa based on income route that is a nightmare I read here as well. I think these people like the annual thing also, keeps teachers in a box.

Short story - marriage visa does not get wp and waiver, only extension of that. Wow just wow, total nonsense if the case.

Thank you both.

For a start, you should learn the difference between a visa, a permission to stay, and and extension of stay.

Visa: permission to travel to Thailand.

Permission to stay: the arrival stamp the immigration officer puts in your passport when you arrive at an airport or land boarder crossing and shows the date until which you are allowed to stay in Thailand.

Extension of stay: an extension of the period you are allowed to stay in Thailand.

When you apply for a non-O visa at a Thai embassy or consulate you state the purpose of your trip to Thailand on the application form, eg "visit Thai wife"

The visa which the embassy or consulate puts in your passport does not state the purpose of your trip.

The arrival stamp you get in your passport when you arrive in Thailand with your non-O visa does not state the reason for your visit.

When you apply for an extension of stay at your local immigration office you state the reason for your application, eg "live with Thai wife", and the extension stamp you get in your passport usually has an annotation stating this reason. Different immigration offices use different texts for this annotation, which sometimes is in English but usually is in Thai.

Thank you Joe. I am on a visa, that visa has no less than six months left on it (up to nine). I beleive they had actually written "the reason" for the visa on it (I know there is writing) and that would make sense because O visa is so broad. I can ask my wife to read it, think we already had and it does state - issued on basis of marriage.

I'm baffled, but I think the answer is - I would need a B visa. Ugh.

So, O visa based on marriage cannot be issued a wp and waiver? You must be on extension of an O visa? I still do not understand the "reason". Reason I have the O is marriage. I get the idea that one needs to state a reason for the extension and that reason must be teaching? ?? Despite the visa originally being issued for marriage? Lost. Sorry.

Bottom line: I cannot be issued a wp and waiver if I am on an O visa. I need to be on extension? The reason for the extension needs to be changed from marriage to teaching - despite the O visa being issued for marriage.

Straight up, when or hiw is a person with an O eligable for wp and visa?

Any idea how long police checks take, I think I had read weeks. This should take a day or two.

Pool: cannot extend the visa, too much time on it. I also have money strewn over four accounts I would need to pull together and miss the "seasoning" period. I will never go the B visa based on income route that is a nightmare I read here as well. I think these people like the annual thing also, keeps teachers in a box.

Short story - marriage visa does not get wp and waiver, only extension of that. Wow just wow, total nonsense if the case.

Thank you both.

You do not need a B visa for any reason. You can get a work permit and the teaching license waiver with a non-o visa entry based upon marriage. You just need to be sure you submit a copy of your marriage certificate with the applications.

You have a choice of continuing to use you non-o visa and make border runs every 90 days or apply for an extension of stay based upon marriage or for teaching.

You do not need a police check unless the school wants it.

• Like 1

For a start, you should learn the difference between a visa, a permission to stay, and and extension of stay.

Visa: permission to travel to Thailand.

Permission to stay: the arrival stamp the immigration officer puts in your passport when you arrive at an airport or land boarder crossing and shows the date until which you are allowed to stay in Thailand.

Extension of stay: an extension of the period you are allowed to stay in Thailand.

Yeah, stupid me, only 21 years in Asia and not sunk in.