Nine Completely Random Newbie Questions About Cm

adelwich

Hi,

After living in Texas for the past two years, the opportunity to spend a month in Chiang Mai is thrilling. I envy those of you who have made this city your long term home.

As a relative newbie, I have a ridiculously long list of questions for more experienced city residents. Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions that you can provide for any of these questions.

Aaron

-----

1. During the next two months, I will be hiring two or three bilingual research assistants to help with a research project that examines game parlors and on-line games. What would be a reasonable hourly rate for this type of skilled work?

2. If one needed to talk with a doctor about refilling a legitimate but relatively obscure prescription (i.e. not something stocked in most Thai pharmacies), where would be the best place to go?

3. Is there a tobacco shop in town that would be likely to carry Export A cigarettes?

4. What is the best way to view Thai popular movies with English subtitles? Do most Thai movies in the theater have English subtitles? What about DVDs? I realize that some people have low opinions of Thai films, but I enjoy all types of popular culture.

5. This is probably a pipe dream, but can anyone recommend bars, clubs or coffee shops that encourage relaxed conversation between farang and Thai youth (18 - 40)? I'm not looking for a pickup joint, just someplace where my girlfriend and I might be able to informally chat with Thai youth.

6. In a similar vein, can anyone recommend bars, clubs or coffee shops that are good places for meeting expats in Chiang Mai? We've investigated a few bars, but people are usually deeply involved in conversation with their friends. Are there regularly scheduled events that focus on meeting newcomers?

7. Can anyone recommend a shop where one might find affordable t-shirts created by Thai designers? For an example from Bangkok, see:

http://www.gridskipper.com/travel/bangkok/...gkok-173024.php

8. Short of wearing a suit, what is the most appropriate way for a man in his mid 30's to dress when meeting with Thai colleagues? Are polo shirts common? Should the shirt always be tucked in a professional context?

9. In your opinion, what are the best cooking schools in town? Are there any schools that we should be sure to avoid?

Thanks again for taking time to consider these questions! If this thread remains archived, the answers might be useful to other visitors in the future.

Question #2. Go to the Ram hospital. They have doctors and pharmacy on premise. It will take very little time and be more expensive than other places but still cheap by Western standards.

Question #6. John’s Place. But a better choice would be to read the posts on this forum and make an appointment to talk to one or more of the posters.

Are you going to do questions on gaming? I have a few thai friends all 20-21 and fluent in English.

Hi Black Artemis,

That's great. As a matter of fact, I *will* be asking about gaming. I'll send you a private e-mail with my contact information. Thanks!

Aaron

1. What would be a reasonable hourly rate for this type of skilled work?

Well.. it depends on the person you hire. As this is temporary but somewhat skilled work, your best option might be to get (master degree) students or recent graduates to help you.

> 2. If one needed to talk with a doctor about refilling a legitimate but relatively

> obscure prescription (i.e. not something stocked in most Thai pharmacies), where

> would be the best place to go?

Chiang Mai Ram hospital. Google for website address, location and phone number. Are you sure pharmacies don't stock it though? If it's VERY obscure AND very essential then you want to research this a bit, research equivalent alternatives, etc. For starters email Chiang Mai Ram or Lanna Hospital if they have it. Ask on the forum here if someone might know if pharmacies have it.

> 3. Is there a tobacco shop in town that would be likely to carry Export A cigarettes?]

Don't know. (Don't even now what Export A cigarettes are)

> 4. What is the best way to view Thai popular movies with English subtitles?

> Do most Thai movies in the theater have English subtitles? What about

> DVDs? I realize that some people have low opinions of Thai films, but

> I enjoy all types of popular culture.

Many DVDs would have English subtitles (of varying quality). Ask P1p again what his favorite DVD shop is. (I forgot, I don't really buy DVDs)

> 5. This is probably a pipe dream, but can anyone recommend bars, clubs

> or coffee shops that encourage relaxed conversation between farang and

> Thai youth (18 - 40)? I'm not looking for a pickup joint, just someplace

> where my girlfriend and I might be able to informally chat with Thai youth.

That's a cool definition of youth right there all the way up to 40!! :o I like it! :D "Relaxed conversation".. Kind of hard to answer this, Thais moslty go out in somewhat bigger groups, and then tend to stick to that group for most of the evening. Is the point to chat with people or is the point to go out and have a nice time? If you want to chat to people then no better place to hang than Chiang Mai University itself and the area around it. You're going to be contacting people there anyway for help with your research. As for going out.....AND having conversation.. that's a toughie.. Perhaps places like Monkey Club or Warm Up? (Both in the Nimmanhaemin Road area, where there are many other places as well)

> 6. In a similar vein, can anyone recommend bars, clubs or coffee shops

> that are good places for meeting expats in Chiang Mai? We've investigated

> a few bars, but people are usually deeply involved in conversation with

> their friends. Are there regularly scheduled events that focus on meeting newcomers?

No. :D I think people become expats in Chiang Mai to get away from what they came from.. this is not 'immigration' as it was into the US, Canada or Australia in the last century where people immediately formed their own cliquey support groups along nationalily lines.

But without a doubt you'll meet expats just going to the most obvious restaurants, cafes and bars. (Health clubs, golf courses, etc, etc.)

> 7. Can anyone recommend a shop where one might find affordable t-shirts created by Thai

> designers? For an example from Bangkok, see:

> http://www.gridskipper.com/travel/bangkok/...gkok-173024.php

Don't know.. Night Bazar for sure has some, though that shop on the site you mentioned looks like it has a better variety, taste and quality. :D You'll find some okay and interesting T shirts here, but why not just visit that shop when in Bangkok? It's in the general Banglamphu / Khao San Road area which is an interesting area anyway. :D

> 8. Short of wearing a suit, what is the most appropriate way for a man in his mid

> 30's to dress when meeting with Thai colleagues? Are polo shirts common?

> Should the shirt always be tucked in a professional context?

At a minimum I'd say business-casual, so polo shirts are definitely okay. So are short sleeved collared shirts. Basically if you just avoid T-shirts, shorts and rough looking jeans then you'll be okay.

> 9. In your opinion, what are the best cooking schools in town? Are there any

> schools that we should be sure to avoid?

Don't know... Do know that I never met anyone who was unhappy with a cooking course they took in Chiang Mai. I think if you pick one that looks reasonably established then you can't really go wrong.

Cheers,

Chanchao

• 2 weeks later...

5. This is probably a pipe dream, but can anyone recommend bars, clubs or coffee shops that encourage relaxed conversation between farang and Thai youth (18 - 40)? I'm not looking for a pickup joint, just someplace where my girlfriend and I might be able to informally chat with Thai youth.

- Try the Nimmanhemin area as suggested by others. Drunken Flower (Mao Dok Mai) at the end of Soi 1 (or 2?) is a nice relaxed place and popular with both Thais and farangs. Food is good too. My friend used to work for the owner who was an art director and is still involved in the artist community in CM. He might be able to help you out or at least point you in the right direction.

6. In a similar vein, can anyone recommend bars, clubs or coffee shops that are good places for meeting expats in Chiang Mai? We've investigated a few bars, but people are usually deeply involved in conversation with their friends. Are there regularly scheduled events that focus on meeting newcomers?

Don't know...spend majority of my time with my wife and daughter when in CM. Will be a longstay newcomer shortly and in need of a social outlet though. I'll be looking. :o

7. Can anyone recommend a shop where one might find affordable t-shirts created by Thai designers?

- I bought some cool t-shirts at a small stall inside Anusarn Market (just off the Night Bazaar). The tag and design on the shirts say 'smock'. Can't say for sure if they were Thai designers but they weren't your typical designs or colors. I went back a few days later to buy some more but could not find the stall again...so might be hit or miss. Nonetheless, Anusarn Market is also a good place to grab a meal outdoors and a foot massage.

8. Short of wearing a suit, what is the most appropriate way for a man in his mid 30's to dress when meeting with Thai colleagues? Are polo shirts common? Should the shirt always be tucked in a professional context?

- Short sleeve, collared shirts should be fine. Avoid the backpacker look...and smell. Good hygiene is appreciated, bad hygiene is noticed and frowned upon.

9. In your opinion, what are the best cooking schools in town? Are there any schools that we should be sure to avoid?

- I took a day course at Thai Cookery School and would highly recommend. Great facilities and fun instructors:

http://www.thaicookeryschool.com/

Have a great stay in CM!

_ihop

Your link to "fair wages" would probably be Bangkok. I think that 15 000 a month for "office staff" is far above the average of most offices in Chiang Mai. My staff told me that most younger Thais think that a salary of 10 000 baht per month is a really good amount (for a basic office job). I would say that a general office job in Chiang Mai is probably more between 6-9k a month

As far as the other questions, I think that the other responses pretty much answered your questions... except that I'm friends with the owners of Chiang Mai Thai Cookery School and I biased towards them. They're the oldest school in the city.

General Office staff..start around 5k Mon-Fri..If they have a good command of English ,expect to pay more if thats what you want.?

Polo shirts and Chino's (The Golfer Look) is fine for doing business around town, Shirt tucked in naturally.

Just my 2 satangs worth..I am afraid I cant answer any more of your questions.

Good Luck, you sound like a bright Guy its always best to come armed to the teeth with as much information as you can gleen, and there is no better place than TV to get it

TP