traffic fine - costs

willfreeman

got picked up crossing straight over the bottom of loh kroi road, down between mcdonalds onto what i believe is just the 'lower'

part of loh kroi road.

was issued a fine and the police officer took my license and in limited english said pay tomorrow at the station and i would get the license back.

just wondering where exactly i pay? - the closest station to loh kroi? and how much the fine will be?

thanks

To add: English phonetics from 100 to 500, guessing you don't know.

Roy baht

Song Roy baht

Siam ("i" included partially but silent or you can just do Saam) Roy baht

Si (like with Spanish) Roy baht

Haa (long to short but high) Roy baht

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Confused 1

Traffic violation fines

1 - No crash helmet - 200 b + no fine for a further 24 hours if receipt retained for original fine
2 - Speeding - 200 b
3 - Overtaking - 200b
4 - Temporary Red No. plates if expired - 200b
5 - No seat belt, 2 persons, 500b
6 - No driving license for motorcycles - 800b
7 - Driving down a bus lane - 500b
8 - No vehcle tax - 500b
9 - Foreign non international driving licence - 200b

10 - Non payment of fine at police station the following day - death penalty or life imprisonment for those who plead guilty.

Contrary to popular belief, not all police are corrupt in Thailand, and if the OP does try to offer bribes, than he does so at his own risk and discretion, but I certainly don`t recommend it.

Edited by Beetlejuice
  • Like 2

I got nabbed there a few Saturdays ago (lunchtime). Had lid and license etc... As soon as he saw the Thai license and that we'd conversed in Thai (well I say conversed that's probably a slight exaggeration), he offered me 200bt now option (for doing the 'no straight on' which I happily took him up on : )

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Traffic violation fines

1 - No crash helmet - 200 b + no fine for a further 24 hours if receipt retained for original fine

2 - Speeding - 200 b

3 - Overtaking - 200b

8 - No vehcle tax - 500b

10 - Non payment of fine at police station the following day - death penalty or life imprisonment for those who plead guilty.

Contrary to popular belief, not all police are corrupt in Thailand, and if the OP does try to offer bribes, than he does so at his own risk and discretion, but I certainly don`t recommend it.

Christ! You made some enemies! Everything is from 50-100 baht, ep given they have to make some money, you seem rather bad at bribery. Would recommend you never decide to live in Vietnam.

re

just wondering where exactly i pay? - the closest station to loh kroi? and how much the fine will be?

ill answer all you questions coz im feeling good today :)

you got caught at the red arrow :(

you pay the fine at the green arrow which is the traffic police headquarters :)

and as the sign says its a 400 baht fine :(

dave2

ps .. i arrived in chiang mai where id never been before

9 years ago today with one suitcase intending to stay 3

months .... and im still here :)

post-42592-0-95179800-1396403279_thumb.j

post-42592-0-96584400-1396403317_thumb.j

post-42592-0-48222100-1396403355_thumb.j

• Like 2

Traffic violation fines

2 - Speeding - 200 b

3 - Overtaking - 200b

8 - No vehcle tax - 500b

Christ! You made some enemies! Everything is from 50-100 baht, ep given they have to make some money, you seem rather bad at bribery. Would recommend you never decide to live in Vietnam.

Those are the official fines with receipt at police station and in my opinion are not high enough to

deter anyone,even for the most dangerous offenses,so they are just repeated again and again

resulting in so many accidents ,injury,and death on the roads here.

regards worgeordie

Traffic violation fines

2 - Speeding - 200 b

3 - Overtaking - 200b

8 - No vehcle tax - 500b

Those are the official fines with receipt at police station and in my opinion are not high enough to

deter anyone,even for the most dangerous offenses,so they are just repeated again and again

regards worgeordie

Several years ago my Thai wife got as ticket for no helmet she had to go into the police station to pay it. Cost there was 400 baht.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Need to learn just enough to convey the bribe in English, if you can speak it would be a easy 2 min 100 baht.

English to Thai that is. Easy haggle, they WILL take 100 in a covered pass by handoff

Roy baht
Song Roy baht

Have you read your comments on how it cost more to live in Thailand?

Need to learn just enough to convey the bribe in English, if you can speak it would be a easy 2 min 100 baht.

English to Thai that is. Easy haggle, they WILL take 100 in a covered pass by handoff

Roy baht

Song Roy baht

Have you read your comments on how it cost more to live in Thailand?

Quality! Just being able to count to 500 will not necessarily enable you to "pay now" on the spot.

The "covered by pass hand off" is definitely not always accepted.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Traffic violation fines

2 - Speeding - 200 b

3 - Overtaking - 200b

8 - No vehcle tax - 500b

Are you feeling ok? You seem a little argumentative, and it's pronounced 'loy' as in loi krathong.

• Like 1

I saw them the other week when they put the sign up.he said no can not knowing what many were trying to do including me.that was when the night bazzar was opening. I just turned right and forgot about it.now I know to be careful round there

• 3 months later...

Just FYI, the prices are not quite right. Highest price quoted on the board outside of the police station is 400 THB. Also there are fines listed for not producing a license when requested, not obeying the lawful order of a policeman, not having registration when requested, etc.

Traffic violation fines

2 - Speeding - 200 b

3 - Overtaking - 200b

8 - No vehcle tax - 500b

Would recommend you learn a little bit about bribing here in Thailand.

• Like 1

It was always my impression that one of the sacrosanct rules at Thaivisa was the recommendation of something illegal in Thailand, whether we agreed with that law or not, it was the law of the land.

Well.... my impression is that the rule-makers.enforcers in this forum are either asleep at the mouse or really don't care.

To recommend the bribing of a police officer is illegal. Period.

Mods??

Traffic violation fines

2 - Speeding - 200 b

3 - Overtaking - 200b

8 - No vehcle tax - 500b

regards worgeordie

The fines are not high enough? To some people 400 baht may hardly be worth bending down to pick up if it fell from your purse, but to plenty of Thais it is a lot. How many eggs can you buy for 400 baht(2 decimal places is enough)? How many bowls of noodles is it?

The amount of the fine is not the problem, it is the fact that you can get away with a much lower 'on the spot' payment and also the fact that over the years the enforcement has been so sporadic. If they continue with this clampdown and don't stop, let's see how many Thais start wearing helmets. In plenty of cities the helmet usage is way higher than Chiang Mai and the sole reason for that is the continual enforcement of the rules.

Traffic violation fines

2 - Speeding - 200 b

3 - Overtaking - 200b

8 - No vehcle tax - 500b

regards worgeordie

The fines are not high enough? To some people 400 baht may hardly be worth bending down to pick up if it fell from your purse, but to plenty of Thais it is a lot. How many eggs can you buy for 400 baht(2 decimal places is enough)? How many bowls of noodles is it?

The amount of the fine is not the problem, it is the fact that you can get away with a much lower 'on the spot' payment and also the fact that over the years the enforcement has been so sporadic. If they continue with this clampdown and don't stop, let's see how many Thais start wearing helmets. In plenty of cities the helmet usage is way higher than Chiang Mai and the sole reason for that is the continual enforcement of the rules.

"it is the fact that you can get away with a much lower 'on the spot' payment"......

Not always true. I got a ticket a few years back for not having my new registration sticker in the window (damn me forgot it sitting on the desk at home). I asked if I could pay there, then and now, and he said I couldn't. Took my drivers license and told me I could go pay at the police station after 1 pm that same day. I went there later in the afternoon with my new registration sticker in hand and the fine was reduced from 500 baht to 200....

• 3 months later...

I think I have just been &lt;deleted&gt;.

I was caught doing the OP's exact same thing, a police officer caught me on the spot and fined me. I handed him my Thai license and he started writing the bill. I tried to speak in Thai but he didn't offer me anything... when he finished the bill, I realized that my license was expired, thing he didn't notice I guess. To avoid further problems, I then asked to pay on the spot in order to immediately have my license back.

He said he could not help because he already wrote the bill, but if I wanted I could give the money and the bill to a guy there (a normal bystander appearently) and he would have paid for me, and I would have had my license back.

Now, I am sure they will never pay that bill (500 B) , but I realise that my bill could still result unpaid. What can I do now? I have my license, but not the bill anymore.

Yes, I have been stupid, please don't insist on that.