Electrical Problem...Brake Light Always On

Ok, so my 12 year old Honda CRV seems to have developed an electrical hiccup. The back brake lights are always on...both back brake lights and the third center brake light are on all the time. This just started today. When the engine is on but the lights off (daytime) they're on; at night, with the lights switched on, the BRAKE lights (higher intensity rear reds) and the red center light are on; and when the engine is off and the light switch in the off position, the rear brake red lights stay on. All other lughts are working normally. Tonite, I disconnected the battery so the light would go off and not drain the battery.

Before I take it to the shop in the morning, anyone with any ideas on what's going on and how to fix it?

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

Likely need a brake light switch located on the brake peddle under the dash.. It is probably stuck in the closed position meaning the switch is not disengaging when the brake peddle is released. Should not be very expensive to replace.

Agree with WarpSpeed, but it's unusual that you need to disconnect the battery

to put the brake lights out, as the brake light circuit is usually ignition controlled.

They should still go out when you turn the ignition switch off.

Edited by sotsira
  • Like 1

No they aren't, if you put your foot on the brake at any point they're hot and light..Also removing the fuse would be a better option I'd think rather then the battery which can also screw up other programs.

• Like 1

the switch behind the brakepedal... a good squirt of WD40 and see if it loosens it... you should be able to press it and it depresses when you let go... Could be a very inexpensice fix.

Problem is that WD40 is an electrical conductor so the next thing to happen will be a dead short and no lights at all unexpectedly.. That's why I didn't suggest it, there is no easily acquired spray on lubricants that aren't electrically conductive.

the switch behind the brakepedal... a good squirt of WD40 and see if it loosens it... you should be able to press it and it depresses when you let go... Could be a very inexpensice fix.

Problem is that WD40 is an electrical conductor so the next thing to happen will be a dead short and no lights at all unexpectedly.. That's why I didn't suggest it, there is no easily acquired spray on lubricants that aren't electrically conductive.

WD40 is not a good conductor, or at least not one taht would affect a low voltage circuit, besides it clears in minutes.

edit; OP's problem is a permanant closed circuit, you cant get a better conductor than that. So WD40 cannot exactly make the situation worse.

Edited by Satcommlee

My guess? It's a bad earth, probably in or around the tail lamp assembly. If not that, check the switch smile.png

Could be, but all 3? And not shutting off? Usually that makes one brighter then another but doesn't prevent them from shutting off.

Just remove the bulbs, problem solved and your brake lights will function in a similar behavior to most Thai owned cars.

Being a ting-tong Farang, I just can't take the easy Thai route :)

(Disclaimer: Not a Thai bash and said in jest. Most Thais do a bang-up job on car maintence :) )

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

Guys it was an easy fix...thanks to the leads you gave me. I had a look under the dash at the brake light switch just to get my bearings. I noticed a few small broken pieces of plastic on the floor mat but just thought it was some detritus my shoes tracked in from outside.

Went back inside to do some more internet research about the brake light switch and brake lights not going off on CRVs and found this site: http://m.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2254546&styleid=18

After reading it, I went back out to the car to have a closer look at the plastic bits I saw earlier and, sure enough, they were pieces of a broken "pedal stopper pad" discussed in the article. I tested the brake switch by depressing the end button and the lights went off so I now knew what the problem was and what I needed to fix it. Without the stopper pad in place, there is a gap when the brake pedal is released and the brake stopper switch button is not depressed. Now at least I would not be at the mercy of some repair shop telling me I needed a whole new electrical wiring harness or something :)

So I drove to my car battery shop near my house who has done small repairs and new batteries for me in the past for the stopper pad part. He didn't have a plastic one but jury rigged the gap by threading a couple metal nuts on the brake pedal assembly so that when the pedal was released, the nuts would fallback and depress the brake release button. Total cost B 40...I will in a few days stop in at Honda or one of the larger car parts shops on Sukhumvit to see if I can get an original or replica part.

Thanks again guys for pointing me in the right direction of where to look; and remember someone has almost surely had whatever problem you may have and likely wrote about it on the internet and Google has helpfully indexed the entire internet for us for free!

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

Just remove the bulbs, problem solved and your brake lights will function in a similar behavior to most Thai owned cars.

(Disclaimer: Not a Thai bash and said in jest. Most Thais do a bang-up job on car maintence smile.png )

This is the motoring forum, we don't have that hypersensitivity as we know better. :)

• Like 1

Had the exact same problem on my old CRV. B-Quick put in a new piece of plastic. Took about 1 minute and free of charge!

Since then I always use them when getting new tires. Service seems alot better than Cockpit.

Had the exact same problem on my old CRV. B-Quick put in a new piece of plastic. Took about 1 minute and free of charge!

Since then I always use them when getting new tires. Service seems alot better than Cockpit.

B-Quick I've used before Dir tires but always very crowded when I go for regular services so stopped going there..I guess they do a food job though

The brake light switch (actuator controlled by the brake pedal) has a spring inside to bring it back to the off position. might have broke. Usually a sealed unit that you just replace. I would do that for starters.....smile.png

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Guys it was an easy fix...thanks to the leads you gave me. I had a look under the dash at the brake light switch just to get my bearings. I noticed a few small broken pieces of plastic on the floor mat but just thought it was some detritus my shoes tracked in from outside.

Went back inside to do some more internet research about the brake light switch and brake lights not going off on CRVs and found this site: http://m.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2254546&styleid=18

After reading it, I went back out to the car to have a closer look at the plastic bits I saw earlier and, sure enough, they were pieces of a broken "pedal stopper pad" discussed in the article. I tested the brake switch by depressing the end button and the lights went off so I now knew what the problem was and what I needed to fix it. Without the stopper pad in place, there is a gap when the brake pedal is released and the brake stopper switch button is not depressed. Now at least I would not be at the mercy of some repair shop telling me I needed a whole new electrical wiring harness or something smile.png

So I drove to my car battery shop near my house who has done small repairs and new batteries for me in the past for the stopper pad part. He didn't have a plastic one but jury rigged the gap by threading a couple metal nuts on the brake pedal assembly so that when the pedal was released, the nuts would fallback and depress the brake release button. Total cost B 40...I will in a few days stop in at Honda or one of the larger car parts shops on Sukhumvit to see if I can get an original or replica part.

Thanks again guys for pointing me in the right direction of where to look; and remember someone has almost surely had whatever problem you may have and likely wrote about it on the internet and Google has helpfully indexed the entire internet for us for free!

The brake light switch (actuator controlled by the brake pedal) has a spring inside to bring it back to the off position. might have broke. Usually a sealed unit that you just replace. I would do that for starters.....smile.png.pagespeed.ce.CwSpBGGvqN.png

Erm... Better late then never... :)thumbsup.gif