Thai talk: When the Senate undermines checks and balances

webfact

It's a sad state of affairs. It would have been worse with the proposed all-elected senate. Better to abolish it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Abolish the only thing which stopped Thailand becoming a dictatorship?

• Like 2

Possibly Thailand , after reading this little how do you do is in trouble, to remove the checks and balances by stacking the senate with your own supporters is rubber stamping any request from the house of reps, this happened in Australia way back, the result , the people never forgot and they always go for a few independents in the senate to balance the power, the Thai people voted with their feet , probably sick in tired of the whole shebang, however in this case they should have hammered home to the Reps that the people understand , to late now , they might live to regret their choices in Democratic voting.coffee1.gif

It's a sad state of affairs. It would have been worse with the proposed all-elected senate. Better to abolish it.

No, what I meant is an all elected senate would just be a useless rubberstamp, better to abolish it in that case.

• Like 1

The polarization of the upper house is a reflection of the political division of the country. The partisan judiciary and independent agencies deepen the senators division with their idiosyneratic verdict. The political struggle forces people to take sides and that include the upper house. If we have a fair and just judiciary, independent agencies taking up their responsibilities without any bias and all political parties chosing election campaigning instead of undemocratic means to form the government; there will be less upper house tension and division. Then better non partisan senators can perform their rightful role.

• Like 2

If Thaksin's government can avoid falling now, and there are elections, which he can win with the feudalistic structures he has perfected, and then afterwards he stacks the courts with his people, his victory will be complete, and Thailand will soar to No. 1 in the world as the most corrupt country. Even Syria and Cambodia will look up to him in dismay. What a proud legacy for the Shinawatra clan, and how wealthy it will become!

Having said this, he won't succeed.

• Like 1

Correct.

But luckily Thaksin still cannot control the army (remember he tried hard to "make a deal" with the army) / http://asiamedia.lmu.edu/2013/07/17/thailand-guilty-until-proven-innocent/. Luckily it didn't work otherwise we would have had another Cambodia. Hun Sen must be laughing at Thaksin for not having full control over Thailand.

• Like 1

The salient point, not made here, is that the election of senators is not very democratic. It's not proportional representation. 8 million people in Bangkok (the educated 8 million) get to choose 1 senator, the collective 8 million of the Northern provinces get to choose 20 senators. Most of them are allied to Thaksin. Not very democratic is it?

• Like 2

"Doesn't the Thai public realise that senators play a vital role in the national political process?"

Answer: NO.

Also I'm pretty sure that most people here couldn't name the governor of their province. They may have figured out who the prime minister is by now. But I doubt most could describe the PM's principal duties (including said PM).

The political ignorance and indifference in this country is epic and staggering. That's one big reason why the power elite (regardless of color) can manipulate the masses so easily and make a farce out of the concept of democracy.

• Like 1

" Proper checks and balances means that if you get 51 per cent of the vote, you don't get your way 100 per cent of the time. That, however, doesn't seem to be the guiding principle of the ruling party. "

Indeed it doesn't. In fact, Pheu Thai believed that if you got 48.41 % of the vote, that meant you could get what you wanted 100 % of the time. And they had an ambitious agenda - full of corruption, profiteering, graft - and balanced that with trying to change the charter to cement their hand, as well as to try to exert control over the legal process and the " revision " of the checks and balances of the independent agencies. That's really what it came down to. They felt a mandate meant they could pursue any manner of unconstitutional behavior - because the people had given their stamp of approval. Most of Pheu Thai and most of Pheu Thai's supporters still believe that. It's not just obstinacy. They truly do believe that.

Edited by Scamper
  • Like 1

No, what I meant is an all elected senate would just be a useless rubberstamp, better to abolish it in that case.

Sorry, I agree as it would serve no purpose.

• Like 1