US TV host David Letterman to retire in 2015

webfact

US TV host David Letterman to retire in 2015

Veteran US late-night TV host David Letterman is to retire in 2015, broadcaster CBS has announced.

The announcement was made by the star during a recording of Late Show with David Letterman, CBS added.

Letterman, who will be 67 next week, began hosting the show on CBS in August 1993, after leaving the rival NBC network.

He began his TV career in 1978 on the CBS variety series Mary, starring Mary Tyler Moore.

His show has since won a host of TV awards.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-26878195

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-04-04

How is this news? A local American T.V host retires and it makes world news. Just had to check youtube to see who he was.

But I bet he knows who you are chook !

I have been a big fan of Letterman for years and will be watching re-runs of his show long after he retires. Good luck Dave !

• Like 2

How is this news? A local American T.V host retires and it makes world news. Just had to check youtube to see who he was.

might not be relevant to many ....but Letterman wasn't a local TV host....His show has been watched in the homes of Millions of Americans every night since the 80's...so it is sort of a worthwhile piece of pop culture news

• Like 1

Here's a hint, Snookums.

If you are allergic somehow to news from America, when the headline says U.S., how about just skip it?

Also last time I checked, the U.S. was part of the ... WORLD.

Also, yes it's obvious that a popular talk t.v. host from for example Australia or Canada would likely NOT make it into a global news feed.

That is obviously because the USA is a much bigger country, and much more globally influential in media and entertainment than such smaller population nations.

Yes very true but the U.S is not the WORLD contrary to the beliefs of U,S citizens. It is small when you consider the world.

Edited by chooka

might not be relevant to many ....but Letterman wasn't a local TV host....His show has been watched in the homes of Millions of Americans every night since the 80's...so it is sort of a worthwhile piece of pop culture news

Karl Stefanovic is a well known/household name in Australia and a T.V personality also. Would he make WORLD news if he retired? I doubt it simply for the only reason he is not from the race of AMERICAN.

Karl Stefanovic is a well known/household name in Australia and a T.V personality also. Would he make WORLD news if he retired? I doubt it simply for the only reason he is not from the race of AMERICAN.

American is not a race.

Is this really the place to spout resentment about American stuff?

This comes from a news feed -- perhaps if you feel this strongly about it, start an item on the SUPPORT forum.

Again, can't you just skip it if U.S. news bothers you so much?

Geez!

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I have been a big fan of Letterman for years and will be watching re-runs of his show long after he retires. Good luck Dave !

I'm an Aussie and think American T.V is worse then Thai soaps. When it comes to producing television shows and even movies I give the award to the Brits,

Edited by chooka
  • Like 1

I'm an Aussie and think American T.V is worse then Thai soaps.

Obviously, you haven't been exposed to the good stuff. facepalm.gif

I'm an Aussie and you can't beat the British on their quality.

• Like 1

I'm an Aussie and think American T.V is worse then Thai soaps. When it comes to producing television shows and even movies I give the award to the Brits,

Go live in your very small world. Let the big create entertainment or have you been asleep for the past 100 years. Make a bad name for Aussies, learn history or better, get off the dope.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

I'm an Aussie and think American T.V is worse then Thai soaps.

Obviously, you haven't been exposed to the good stuff. facepalm.gif

I'm an Aussie and you can't beat the British on their quality.

It's not a competition. There are great shows from both.

OMG -- even from Australia.

Josh Thomas rules!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2155025/?ref_=nm_flmg_wr_1

If it's good, it's good, dude.

Here's a hint, Snookums.

If you are allergic somehow to news from America, when the headline says U.S., how about just skip it?

Also, yes it's obvious that a popular talk t.v. host from for example Australia or Canada would likely NOT make it into a global news feed.

That is obviously because the USA is a much bigger country, and much more globally influential in media and entertainment than such smaller population nations.

Also...right here in Thailand David Letterman is on TrueVisions every night on channel 143.

Why comment about people you don't know? It shows ignorance.

MUST the US haters get their own forum? Thank you TV for the news!

Good post JT.

• Like 1

So who is the Australian David Letterman?

How about the Bulgarian David Letterman?

coffee1.gif

Yeah, Letterman retiring just makes me feel OLDER!

I haven't watched him at all in recent years but watched a lot in his early years doing Late Show.

Edited by Jingthing

Here's a hint, Snookums.

Also...right here in Thailand David Letterman is on TrueVisions every night on channel 143.

Why comment about people you don't know? It shows ignorance.

MUST the US haters get their own forum? Thank you TV for the news!

Good post JT.

well he is well down the pecking order, ranked 143. No wonder I have never heard of him. Geez must be a boring life to surf 143 channels.

• Like 1

I think Letterman knows he's past his sell-by date. He had a great run, and he outlasted Leno in the end, so that was his main goal maybe. He's doing the right thing, but unlike NBC, there is no great hotshot (like Fallon) to fill his shoes. They must be wringing their hands at CBS over this. Kimmel has said he would consider taking the show, as he is Letterman's biggest fan, but he's doing well at ABC, and I bet ABC would pay him anything to stay. Conan's name has been tossed around, but he's sort of damaged merchandise.

Here's a hint, Snookums.

And there was me believing that Canada was bigger than the USA....if only I could get my hands on my geography teacher.

Here's a hint, Snookums.

And there was me believing that Canada was bigger than the USA....if only I could get my hands on my geography teacher.

Canada? What's that...oh yes, those bunch of colonies which started calling themselves as a country, then became a country in name.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1