Need to renew 5 year driving license

Kimera

Hello people, I need to renew my 5 year driving licenses, they are due for renewal in mid June, has anyone had a recent renewal in Phuket, what will I need now and when can I renew ie. how many days before they expire.

I have tried to seach the forum but can find no recent posts..rolleyes.gif

Thanks

Since there are many unmotivated changes to the rules quite frequently, it is the easiest way to go to the office and ask for the requirements. I normally do this every time before a upcoming extension and I will do so again in August this year, which is when my extension is due. If you are located not too far from the office, this is the best way to try. Otherwise, my guess is you will need

- copy of passport - page 1, page with visa, page with latest entry stamp, and TM-Card

- proof (spelling?) of residence (get it from immigration)

- about three hours of time

- the old version(s) of your driving license(s)

No need to take pictures, they are doing it at the office.

If it is not the first extension, you can do it one month in advance. Go there mid-week, the office will be not too busy then.

Good luck, and remember - always drive carefully here! thumbsup.gif

Since there are many unmotivated changes to the rules quite frequently, it is the easiest way to go to the office and ask for the requirements. I normally do this every time before a upcoming extension and I will do so again in August this year, which is when my extension is due. If you are located not too far from the office, this is the best way to try. Otherwise, my guess is you will need

- copy of passport - page 1, page with visa, page with latest entry stamp, and TM-Card

- proof (spelling?) of residence (get it from immigration)

- about three hours of time

- the old version(s) of your driving license(s)

No need to take pictures, they are doing it at the office.

If it is not the first extension, you can do it one month in advance. Go there mid-week, the office will be not too busy then.

Good luck, and remember - always drive carefully here! thumbsup.gif

Possibly need the doctors certificate as well.

Yes thank you for the replies, I have one problem the licenses run out mid June and I have to fly out mid May was hoping that I could affect a renewal more than a month in front.

I will have to check the renewal periods before and after expiry, unless anyone out there knows.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Yes thank you for the replies, I have one problem the licenses run out mid June and I have to fly out mid May was hoping that I could affect a renewal more than a month in front.

I will have to check the renewal periods before and after expiry, unless anyone out there knows.

There was a man who wanted to renew his license early when i was there

They refused to do it, i think they will only renew if in one month before renewal date

They will renew your license up to 12 months after it expires with no tests

I renewed mine late because of the people blocking entry to to office

Yes, you can renew up to 12 months late. this might be your best option.

As for the medical, maybe only for the very first licence. Should not be required for the 5 year renewal, but i have always taken one with me just in case. I suspect it just depends on the mood of the day w00t.gif

As for the medical, maybe only for the very first licence. Should not be required for the 5 year renewal, but i have always taken one with me just in case. I suspect it just depends on the mood of the day w00t.gif

I took 2 medical certificates just in case and they handed them back to me, Not want

I went to renew mine in Chumphon 2 days ago.Went to immigration first to get my certificate of residence to be told they do not do anymore and I had to show my notification of an alien residence form.Luckily I had one so no problem.I do not know if this the case in Phuket now.

I agree. For a few baht, take one anyway, and plenty of photocopies of everything. In many cases, it can depend on who you get on the day.

I took 2 medical certificates just in case and they handed them back to me, Not want

I suppose they finally figured out is a scam anyhow.

my Thai driving licence is over 40 years old and I think I need to change my picture and my place of residence. can this be done and still be able to use the licence (it is a life time DL)

my Thai driving licence is over 40 years old and I think I need to change my picture and my place of residence. can this be done and still be able to use the licence (it is a life time DL)

Wait...what???

I suppose they finally figured out is a scam anyhow.

The scam is the letter from immagration confirming your address, its supposed to be free but they charge 300 baht

Wait...what???

I would keep it as it is, the life time one hasn't been issued for years.

I renewed my 5 yr license's about 6 weeks ago, and I needed 2 medical certificates. Because I was on a different visa, they kindly gave me a 1 year license

Can I ask, what visa were you on, and what visa are you on now?

Any idea why the length of drivers licence is determined by one's visa class?

Don't Thai's get a 5 year licence after a 1 year temporary licence? Why is this different for foreigners?

I renewed my 5 yr license's about 6 weeks ago, and I needed 2 medical certificates. Because I was on a different visa, they kindly gave me a 1 year license

Can I ask, what visa were you on, and what visa are you on now?

Any idea why the length of drivers licence is determined by one's visa class?

Don't Thai's get a 5 year licence after a 1 year temporary licence? Why is this different for foreigners?

Because to get a five year license, you need to have a Non-Imm visa.

I got the provisional one year licence. Then got a five year license as I had the correct visa.

When the five year license expired, I could not get another Non-Imm visa and had to settle for a tourist visa. I was given a one year license.

I think Dan had a tourist visa.

Thanks for your info people.

Went Thursday you need to be there between 8.30 to 9am for the 5 year renewal, you will need photo copies of passport, visa and current extension and proof of address from immigration ( they would not accept a Yellow Book) So off to immigration, as it was 11am when I returned was told to return next day.

Friday 8.30am

All papers in order, no problem, did the eye and reaction test wait for one hour for the driving video for falang in English at 10 am in room 1, collect papers and downstairs for a ticket for the photo and license. The girl on the information desk as you walk in speaks English she checks your papers as you arrive and checks them again after the video and gives you the queue ticket.

Pay the fees (860baht) and away to the have the photo taken and D/L issued (230baht)

Out at 12 noon.

Oh if you are renewing both your licenses you will need two copies of all paperwork

Went Thursday you need to be there between 8.30 to 9am for the 5 year renewal, you will need photo copies of passport, visa and current extension and proof of address from immigration ( they would not accept a Yellow Book) So off to immigration, as it was 11am when I returned was told to return next day.

Friday 8.30am

All papers in order, no problem, did the eye and reaction test wait for one hour for the driving video for falang in English at 10 am in room 1, collect papers and downstairs for a ticket for the photo and license. The girl on the information desk as you walk in speaks English she checks your papers as you arrive and checks them again after the video and gives you the queue ticket.

Pay the fees (860baht) and away to the have the photo taken and D/L issued (230baht)

Out at 12 noon.

Oh if you are renewing both your licenses you will need two copies of all paperwork

Yes, you need to be there by 09.00. Quite surprised they would not accept your yellow Tabian Baan. If not accept then makes a mockery of even bothering to get your yellow book.

Friday 8.30am

Out at 12 noon.

Yes, you need to be there by 09.00. Quite surprised they would not accept your yellow Tabian Baan. If not accept then makes a mockery of even bothering to get your yellow book.

In a recent thread, I asked about the benefit of being in the Yellow Book. I was informed it does away with the need for a Certificate of Residence.

If it actually doesn't, I have to agree, what's the point of it?

Friday 8.30am

Out at 12 noon.

In a recent thread, I asked about the benefit of being in the Yellow Book. I was informed it does away with the need for a Certificate of Residence.

Correct I see no point in it! I've had it 10 years and have never found a use for it, the last bike from Honda they would not accept it and a car from Toyota, Oh and immigration police!

Mind this is Phuket and I see that it's accepted elsewhere in Thailand.....Or so I'm Told !!!!

Wait...what???

I would keep it as it is, the life time one hasn't been issued for years.

If you have a life time DL it can be renewed if needed without any problem. (personal experience from last year)

That they don't issue new life time DL anymore does not mean that they don't issue them altogether.

Also for a 5 year DL you need to have a long stay visa/extension.

VOA or Tourist visa only gives you a provisional 1 year DL.

• 2 months later...

Friday 8.30am

Out at 12 noon.

Oh if you are renewing both your accept you will need two copies of all paperwork

Correct I see no point in it! I've had it 10 years and have never found a use for it, the last bike from Honda they would not accept it and a car from Toyota, Oh and immigration police!

Mind this is Phuket and I see that it's accepted elsewhere in Thailand.....Or so I'm Told !!!!

They accept Yellow Book in Korat buy car and driving license no problem , I also use it In national parks If they not accept my driving license.

• 3 months later...

hello all;

April 2014

Friday 8.30am
Out at 12 noon.

is there any update on this for PHUKET>

no test required?

5 year renewal needed.

went in today as needed to do the tax on my bike

5 year renewal can be up to 90- days late

passport photo page, visa page ( needs be non visa/extension)

residency certificate from immigration

sit for video

written test

color, coordination, brake

takes about 2 hours, need be there by 9 am

Edited by phuketrichard

What kind of test is the written test? I don't remember ever having done it, even when getting my first one year license.

Multiple choice. You have to get 15 correct out of 20 (I think....it was awhile back).

Stupid questions, too.

Edited by KarenBravo

What kind of test is the written test? I don't remember ever having done it, even when getting my first one year license.

Maybe you supplied your international permit and home license. That saves you taking the written and practical tests. Only required at first license.

I've only had to watch the video at my last 5 year renewal, and never before. I assume i have to watch that very boring video next time.