VAT refund question

I've asked a few people about this but get conflicting answers about once specific point. To get the VAT refund at the airport, does the store I buy from have to be participating in the program (ie provide some documentation in addition to the receipt) or is it sufficient to just have proof of purchase. I'm talking about purchasing from a major online retailer like Lazada not some small shop.

Would I have to ask Lazada to send me additional paperwork? I rang Lazada to ask about this but customer service just said: 'Fill out a form at the airport'

Edited by telstrareg

I know with a few things I bought the stores actually ask if you want to claim the VAT and they fill in a form you have to produce at the airport but you need to leave(fly out) within 60 days to do so or so the form says, I dont worry about it as it is not all that much and not worth flying out of the country to claim unless you are spending massive amounts, on a 20,000 baht spend it was bugger all, about 1400 baht($45) so unless you are leaving the country its simply not worth it as you need to produce your international ticket to claim it.

I have never done it myself, but have been told that the refund-claim process at the airport is long and cumbersome, with many desks to visit, many forms to complete etc. I suppose they are hoping that if your flight is leaving soon, you will have to abandon the idea.

• Like 1

Take it you didn't bother reading the links.

You have to get the forms from the shop at the time of purchase.

Lots of other restrictions - read the links and you will know more than all of us here.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, 

I was exactly checking for this info today, Lazada is one of the cheapest store, which is good, but I am not sure, if they support Vat Refund. Thats why, I find 3 minutes of my time and write them email:

I am trying to find out if do you support VAT REFUND FOR TOURIST. We got small talk about that on forum here:

is written:

- VAT Refund Application for Tourist form ( P.P. 10) was not prepared on the date of purchase
- Goods were not purchased from participating shops in the VAT refund for tourists scheme

As far as I know (I used VAT refund before with other shops), this Tourist form P.P.10 must be prepared by the shop, not by the customer.

So, please answer, if do you support VAT refund for tourist, or not, thanks.

So, let's see if and how they will respond.

The refund procedure at the airport is easy enough, but you MUST visit the customs office to get the stamp on the form BEFORE going upstairs and through security. Once you are through security you have had it and you cannot return and get the stamp. As long as you have the stamp the actual refund is processed in the duty-free section after security but without the stamp they will just say "sorry, cannot".

Is this done deliberately to ensure that few people actually get their refund? Of course it is.

Another option if you are buying fairly standard items is to buy in duty free anyway. My tablet was available in duty free for exactly 7% below the price I paid in a shop outside and it would have been a lot easier just to buy it there and not bother with the forms.

are you not also required to produce the goods you are claiming the refund for?

it also pays to keep your  passport with you, as, if you are foreign, some of the larger stores will discount you 10% on the spot for certain goods,

I got that a few times at Robinson

Lazada reply today:

According to your request, We would like to inform you about VAT REFUND FOR TOURIST. We cannot do for this process.
If you want to do, you should contact at the airport. Sorry for any inconvenience. 

I got doubt, if there is some online shop, which actually can do VAT refund, that would be interesting to know. So I find out after couple of minutes, even Apple doesn't offer VAT refund. So if apple doesnt offer it, it means nobody offers it.

The thing is I want to buy iPhone 5s, Lazada got great price, but I see it is fulfilled by 3rd party and I am not sure how it is with warranty (if something really happend, because I was cheated already with warranty in kiosks at hypermart...). I think better to buy from official apple store and make VAT refund later...

Spent more than 150k a couple if months ago. Always aks Tax Refund paper at the stores...

At the airport, the process is simple;

1) before checkin go to fax refund office where they will stamp all your tax refund papers and eventually checks the goods, they did it for me with 1 item randomly...

2) do not check jewelry as they might want to see them again after checkin

3) after checking and security control, go to tax refund counters and pick up your money...

Their service is very friendly and was always very welcome...

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

I have never done it myself, but have been told that the refund-claim process at the airport is long and cumbersome, with many desks to visit, many forms to complete etc. I suppose they are hoping that if your flight is leaving soon, you will have to abandon the idea.

Untrue. One desk to get the money and I don't remember any forms to fill in there.

You have to be a tourist to claim and you need a special form from every place you bought and if I remember correctly have to spend a minimum amount in total ( not per item ), ?2000 baht, so only large stores qualify in practice. Plus there is a "fee" at the airport deducted from the total.

Not worth it unless spending thousands in one store.

As said before, don't put the items in checked bag as they might want to see them, and go to customs office before emmigration.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

• 3 months later...

I just posed the following question to the downtown King Power store:  is the regulation that you must have resided in Thailand for fewer than 180 days in the current calendar year in order to receive the VAT refund actually enforced?

Several phone calls later my clerk ended up on the line to a courterpart at Swampy who said, unequivocally, that this rule was not being enforced now.

Anybody out there have any actual experience with this rule in recent months?

-- Retiree