xpat pattaya vs phuket

davetrout

having lived in Cambodia (travelled all over the country) and an travel there twice a year an been up to laos 3 x out of the past 4 years,( by my car so drove everywhere) been to Pattaya last year after 4 years.

would say Pattaya/Naklua.Jomtien has more expats living/retired. The other side of Sukumvit is full of Expat housing estates ( like where Bill lives now) and they seldom get over to the beach side.

some Sexpats are moving over to Shinoukville but not record numbers, during the rainy season it is dead.

NONE are moving to LAOS>....

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are no expat, genuine expats do no do visa runs xwhistling.gif.pagespeed.ic.FVjgnKnWS1.p

I always thought of myself as an expat because i no longer live in Ameirca ( left in 1982) and reside in another county of which i am NOT a citizen) Thailand.

An expatriate (sometimes shortened to expat) is a person temporarily or permanently residing in a country other than that of the person's upbringing. The word comes from the Latin terms ex ("out of") and patria ("country, fatherland").

Retirement abroad, in contrast, usually makes one an "expatriate".

Edited by phuketrichard

@ nedkellylives

Not sure why you have consistantly thought I need "time" to reply. I drift online and offline - no set pattern.

Anyway, I have been to all the places you have mentioned, even lived and worked in a few of them for a while as well. Yes, sh*te holes, but good money. Maybe that's why I can live in Thailand, without working, and be under 50.

"There are people with money who open a business here and employ Thai People so they do not have to do visa runs" - from this comment, I gather you have a business here, which would explain the way in which you post.

Seriously, you were last in Pattaya 20 years ago - how can you be posting on this thread????

I urge you to read the thread heading again - "pattaya v phuket." Ask yourself this question, what do you know of Pattaya now, and how can you compare it to Phuket, given you haven't been there for 20 years.

I agree with you Nam KangMan , @NedKellyLives says he was in Patttaya "20 years ago and nothing 's changed? I came to Thailand 14 years ago and first visited Pattaya and it has chaged a lot since then. I heard a guy in supermart in USA talking about Thailand and how poor bad it was I asked him "when was last time you were there" he said oh during Viet-nam War. I told him I been visiting since 2000 and its nothing like when you were there over 35 years ago. So for those that say oh I been here there over 20 years ago man things don't stand still.

@ nedkellylives

Not sure why you have consistantly thought I need "time" to reply. I drift online and offline - no set pattern.

Anyway, I have been to all the places you have mentioned, even lived and worked in a few of them for a while as well. Yes, sh*te holes, but good money. Maybe that's why I can live in Thailand, without working, and be under 50.

"There are people with money who open a business here and employ Thai People so they do not have to do visa runs" - from this comment, I gather you have a business here, which would explain the way in which you post.

Seriously, you were last in Pattaya 20 years ago - how can you be posting on this thread????

I urge you to read the thread heading again - "pattaya v phuket." Ask yourself this question, what do you know of Pattaya now, and how can you compare it to Phuket, given you haven't been there for 20 years.

I agree with you Nam KangMan , @NedKellyLives says he was in Patttaya "20 years ago and nothing 's changed? I came to Thailand 14 years ago and first visited Pattaya and it has chaged a lot since then. I heard a guy in supermart in USA talking about Thailand and how poor bad it was I asked him "when was last time you were there" he said oh during Viet-nam War. I told him I been visiting since 2000 and its nothing like when you were there over 35 years ago. So for those that say oh I been here there over 20 years ago man things don't stand still.

Good post Tony.

Have a friend who rented a bungalow where the Club Med is now in Kata in the early 80's.

He says he could never come back to Phuket for it's "just not what is was then". So from apart from being a bit of a drama queen, I ask the guy "where hasn't it changed in 30 years?"

I was in Pattaya in 1992, then again 97,haven't been since as not my cup of tea. In my face ho's and dirty beach is what I experienced then, no thank you.

The sexpats with not much money are shifting to Laos and Cambodia where they can live better on their govt pensions

They wont be missed in Phuket or pattaya

Phuket is prefered by long term expats, those who can afford it of coarse and do not continually whinge about the cost of living here

I notice that many are going to Cambodia as Laos is used for border crossing and visa runs and there is a growing awareness of how many stamps in ones passport,, Laos is not as free when it comes to lady love, basically not allowed without government permission that might take up to 2 years, you are not permitted to love a lady in Laos that is why so many ladies travel to Nong Kai or Udon Thani to be with their lovers, but in Cambodia it like Pattaya all over again, wild wild west with many falangs everywhere.

The sexpats with not much money are shifting to Laos and Cambodia where they can live better on their govt pensions

They wont be missed in Phuket or pattaya

Phuket is prefered by long term expats, those who can afford it of coarse and do not continually whinge about the cost of living here

I have a few friends that were long term expats on Phuket. Two of them had businesses here. They were all financially comfortable. They could afford to live here, and did so for years, but still moved to Pattaya. Some of them took long term Thai girlfriends with them, so I wouldn't call them "sexpats."

They all wish they had moved earlier.

Some of the reasons given to me when asked about their decision: Pattaya is in close proximity to Bangkok for Embassies, Airports, Hospitals, Shopping etc, close to nice islands for day trips or overnight stays, public transport (baht buses) everywhere in the city, greater variety of restaurants, more accommodation options, better customer service - across all industries, and more friendly Thai's.

Sure, they also mentioned it's a lot cheaper in Pattaya, but affordability was never their main motivation for leaving Phuket.

Interestingly, I asked their girlfirends, seperately, and in private, "Which one number one, Phuket or Pattaya?" The Thai girls all said "Pattaya" as well. When asked, "Why." The general reply was, "More easy."

I disagree that Phuket prices have pushed many expats to Laos and Cambodia - but I would agree it has pushed them to other places in Thailand. Other friends of mine have moved to Issan and Chiang Mai. I don't think it's just the prices alone that have caused the move.

One only has to look at what Phuket has become, and the direction it is heading.

The Russian invasion of both Patong and Pattaya is in full swing. The Mafia is winning in Patong with the songtaew's there at 200 baht, compared to 10 baht in Pattaya. Much easier to be a sexpat in Pattaya, but still way expensive if you want to play the game.

You are no expat, genuine expats do no do visa runs xwhistling.gif.pagespeed.ic.FVjgnKnWS1.p

I always thought of myself as an expat because i no longer live in Ameirca ( left in 1982) and reside in another county of which i am NOT a citizen) Thailand.

An expatriate (sometimes shortened to expat) is a person temporarily or permanently residing in a country other than that of the person's upbringing. The word comes from the Latin terms ex ("out of") and patria ("country, fatherland").

Fascinating, so are a expatriate who is a expat or a expatriate who is a expatriate

Fascinating, so are a expatriate who is a expat or a expatriate who is a expatriate

If you were to take the trouble of finding the origin of the quote you would find that the person retiring abroad is called an expatriate (or expat) as opposed to an immigrant or migrant worker.

Thankyou for your input professor steven

so what are you as a foriegner/immigrant who works here in a fashion

Yes, I know, finding things is not always easy. Here the source of Richard's quotes, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expatriate

As usual answering for someone else

You asked me, so I'm answering you.

That makes you a migrant worker

From the quote, "a manual labourer who has moved to another country to earn more money might be labelled an 'immigrant' or 'migrant worker'". With manual labor not allowed for foreigners here and me making less money than I did back home, how could I be a migrant worker?

Edited by stevenl

Few are 'expats' in the true sense of the word. Long term sex tourists at best....

I have lived here for 9 years, own a house, car and motorbike and have lived with the same Thai woman for that time.

Care to tell me what I am!

Edited by jacko45k

Thankyou for your input professor steven

so what are you as a foriegner/immigrant who works here in a fashion

Yes, I know, finding things is not always easy. Here the source of Richard's quotes, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expatriate

As usual answering for someone else

I posted the definition of "expat" back in post 12.

This is why I asked for clarification from the OP if he really meant "expats" or "retirees." There is a difference.

Few are 'expats' in the true sense of the word. Long term sex tourists at best....

I have lived here for 9 years, own a house, car and motorbike and have lived with the same Thai woman for that time.

Do you work?

Whats working to do with it, Immagration police are happy to give a self funded retiree one year

extensions of their visa, and they can get 5 year licenses with no problems

Working or not, Jacko has invested money in thailand and made it his home

He is the type of expat the Thai govt want like a lot of other Asian countries

• Like 1

Do you work?

Whats working to do with it, Immagration police are happy to give a self funded retiree one year

extensions of their visa, and they can get 5 year licenses with no problems

Working or not, Jacko has invested money in thailand and made it his home

He is the type of expat the Thai govt want like a lot of other Asian countries

"Work" is the difference between being called a "worker" or a retiree.

Both come under the "expat" definition, but the term "expat" is generally used in relation to those working abroad.

Edited by NamKangMan

Expat refers to anyone working or not who have made Thailand their home

These same people have invested in property etc and are self funded

they intend to stop here permanently at no cost to Thailand

Thats why people can get retirement as well as busines visas here and have the extended yearly

Because they are considered expats by the immagration dept and Thai govt

Thats why people can get retirement as well as busines visas here and have the extended yearly

You don't have to have a retirement or business visa, or invest in property, to be an expat.

I'm living here on tourist visas. The only criteria I can't meet is being over 50 years of age. I also prefer to rent, due to the land ownership laws here, and also I'm single and self funded.

Does that make me any lesser expat?

Nice to see the Wizard's advice is still sought out upon occasion! Not so much as the days b4 Googling.

So I have been here for 9 months and April is the 10th.I really do enjoy and so does Flower the area in Naklua we live in , but we lost the use of the swimming pool, I never used it ,cause it wasn't handicap user friendly .But I still liked having it for guests who came to visit. Some problem of leaks and a giant water-bill .has caused the landlord not to repair the pool. Now its a mosquito breeding ground and a danger to children playing in the area. So ,I may look for another 2 bedroom starting in July , we only pay 8000 B rent , so not sure it will be easy to find a good deal like that . Anybody know of one PM me!

I'm also happy Flower doesn't have to drive over the mountain from Patong anymore. Sukumvitt Rd.is a little scary to drive on , but thats just all the roads in Thailand where people pay no attention to speed limits. Just need to be careful and watch out for the other guy.

Being near BKK and shopping is about the same , just more locations in Pattaya...

I do miss some good friends but not the TukTuk drivers at all.

I liked the longer cool spells here in Dec.& Jan.,I hadn't lived up here since '93 !

I do miss not doing our frozen food biz and Deli in Patong , just wish we could have done it here!

So ,hope this answers and helps with your boredom!

It really is a apples or oranges kind of debate.Just remember ,its what you make of it and how you

handle all the madness in either place! Good Karma usually helps !

post-35854-0-21205900-1396887763_thumb.j

Sheer numbers comparison? I'd have to say due to the Eastern European contingent, Patters would have more, maybe if Big Bill sees this, now that he is over there for awhile, he could give an opinion for ya.

Topic thread spun off of Big Bill's moving to Patters thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/656723-phuket-vs-pattaya/

Nice to see the Wizard's advice is still sought out upon occasion! Not so much as the days b4 Googling.

So I have been here for 9 months and April is the 10th.I really do enjoy and so does Flower the area in Naklua we live in , but we lost the use of the swimming pool, I never used it ,cause it wasn't handicap user friendly .But I still liked having it for guests who came to visit. Some problem of leaks and a giant water-bill .has caused the landlord not to repair the pool. Now its a mosquito breeding ground and a danger to children playing in the area. So ,I may look for another 2 bedroom starting in July , we only pay 8000 B rent , so not sure it will be easy to find a good deal like that . Anybody know of one PM me!

I'm also happy Flower doesn't have to drive over the mountain from Patong anymore. Sukumvitt Rd.is a little scary to drive on , but thats just all the roads in Thailand where people pay no attention to speed limits. Just need to be careful and watch out for the other guy.

Being near BKK and shopping is about the same , just more locations in Pattaya...

I do miss some good friends but not the TukTuk drivers at all.

I liked the longer cool spells here in Dec.& Jan.,I hadn't lived up here since '93 !

I do miss not doing our frozen food biz and Deli in Patong , just wish we could have done it here!

So ,hope this answers and helps with your boredom!

It really is a apples or oranges kind of debate.Just remember ,its what you make of it and how you

handle all the madness in either place! Good Karma usually helps !

attachicon.gifbb.jpg

Sheer numbers comparison? I'd have to say due to the Eastern European contingent, Patters would have more, maybe if Big Bill sees this, now that he is over there for awhile, he could give an opinion for ya.

Topic thread spun off of Big Bill's moving to Patters thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/656723-phuket-vs-pattaya/

Maybe someone in the complex can get a garden hose and siphon out the pool. Just let it siphon overnight. It would stop the mozzies breeding.

Do you work?

No, but is that relevant when the choice is 'Expat' or 'Long term sex tourist'......

You don't have to have a retirement or business visa, or invest in property, to be an expat.

I'm living here on tourist visas. The only criteria I can't meet is being over 50 years of age. I also prefer to rent, due to the land ownership laws here, and also I'm single and self funded.

If you are on a tourist visa you are a tourist,if you want to purchase property here you can, lots of expats do

If in a relationship you are as safe here with property purchases as any other country

most single men rent makes it easy to swap between phuket and Pattaya

Do you work?

No, but is that relevant when the choice is 'Expat' or 'Long term sex tourist'......

If I met you in a bar, for example, and I said, "What do you do here?" I gather your answer would be, "I'm retired." You are still an expat, but in answer to your question, "Care to tell me what I am?" I would say you are classified as a "retired expat."

If you are on a tourist visa you are a tourist,if you want to purchase property here you can, lots of expats do

If in a relationship you are as safe here with property purchases as any other country

most single men rent makes it easy to swap between phuket and Pattaya

"If you are on a tourist visa you are a tourist,if you want to purchase property here you can, lots of expats do" - I can purchase property on a tourist visa, open a bank account, have a drivers licence, own a business, in fact, on my tourist visa, I can do everything someone on a retirement visa can do.

Why am I any less of an expat that you?

I'll make it relevant to yourself. Obtaining Thai residencey takes a long time and is quite difficult. You don't have Thai residency, but are you any less a resident of Thailand than someone who does?

"most single men rent makes it easy to swap between phuket and Pattaya" - even if I was in a meaningful relationship I would still rent. It has to do with the foreign ownership of land laws, the over supply of property (construction) causing a diminishing value of the asset, and recently, the instability of the Government here, not because I may want to move to Pattaya in te future. Many times I have locked my place up, gone to Pattaya to see friends, and then done a visa run.

You haven't been to Pattaya in 20 years, but you comment on this thread like you are familiar with Pattaya.

Go and have another look at the place. See what Pattaya has become, compared to Phuket, which is resisting progress.

Edited by NamKangMan

All the off topic/inflammatory/troll replies and quotes are being removed.

Just to remind you all the Original Question "is there more expats live pats or phuket"

NOT about which is better

ONLY about expat demographics.

Even more off topic inflammatory posts removed.

It depends on what you like about a place, visited Phuket and Pattaya about 1995 for the first time

Did not like Pattaya but really liked Phuket and new i would return if only for a holiday

In 1995 phuket was quieter and the people were more friendly but when i returned in 2006 i still

liked phuket and decided to retire and live here full time, its no problem getting to any destination

with its own international airport

Personally if i was going to live anywhere else in Thailand it would be Khao Lak, even thought about

buying a second home there, but decided not to because my wife does not like driving and there may

be a time when i am not able to and its to far away to look after rental properties

So we will stay in Rawai, the best area to live in Phuket and a lot of expats agree