Why change Non-O multi entry to a marriage visa?

I have just got a non-O multi entry visa (from Hull) on the basis that I was going to change it to a marriage visa once in Thailand.as suggested by a friend.

The person in the embassy told me that so long as I leave the country every 90 days (something I always do anyway), the visa is good for multiple stays (90 days max) until the date that the year visa expires. If this is the case, I dont see much point in going through the hassle of getting a marriage visa.

I believe the marriage visa would allow me to stay in the country for a year without having to leave every 90 days but as I always go for weekends away outside on Thailand every few months it doesnt seem necessary.

From your experience do I sound correct in what I say (and what the Hull rep says)?

Is there a flaw in my plan to stay with this visa as-is and not bother with a marriage visa?.

• Like 1

There are no "marriage visas" !

The visa you have is usable as you describe.

Seeking an "extension of stay" would enable a person to remain in Thailand with no requirement for them to leave the country every 90 days.

However qualifying for an extension of stay based on marriage requires 400 ,000 Bht in a Thai bank or a demonstrable income of 40,000 Bht monthly income .

• Like 2

They are not talking about a marriage visa, but about an extension based on your marriage.

Yes, as long as your visa itself is valid each time you enter Thailand you will get a new 90 days to stay. So leave Thailand and re-enter just before the visa expires and you get another 90 days and almost 15 months out of it.

You will not have to bother with an extension based on marriage is you leave every few months.

• Like 1

Out of interest, did you need to show anything other than marriage certificate and wife's ID? And did you get the visa issued same day? There has been a lot of chatter in recent months about the changing requirements, especially at Hull, so your recent experience would be interesting.

The non-O based on marriage is available at Savannakhet and other places I am not sure of but I have obtained 2 with zero problems. I plan to continue this pattern until I am not able to travel because of the financial requirement. Not because I don't have the money but because I don't want to put the money in the bank here.

When I am unable to travel, I will get the marriage extension. Of course, it is not far to borders for me and it is just another excuse for a bike ride.

Get with any of the multitude of Visa agencies throughout Thailand, note this is Thailand. With exception to Tourist, never have to step a foot outside the country again.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Considering the cases of lost and stolen passports lately why risk handing your passport to anyone.

To the OP. Do it all yourself and then you know where your passport is at all times.

I would agree with Dick T, the clock may well be ticking for multiple issues of non O visas, won't know til it happens.

I went down the 'leave the country every 90 days and go out of the country for a new visa every 15 months' for 5 years, finally decided to up it to a marriage extension. Feel a bit more settled personally and we can take trips as and when we want.

• Like 1

If you exit the kingdom on a regular basis it makes sense to just stay as you are saves a hell of a lot of paperwork and if you work it out right and re enter the week or two before your visa is about to expire it becomes a 15 month visa as opposed to a 12 month visa

OP, if it was your intention to change your multi-O (based on marriage) to an extension of stay based on marriage, I am surprised that you were given the multi entry visa in the first place and not just a single entry non-O which would have been all you would have needed. However that said, I wouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth.

If it is still your plan to change to an extension based on marriage, use your current multi-O until the last month of the last 3 month entries, make sure you have your money (400,000 baht) seasoned or your proof of 40,000 baht a month income, and all your paperwork in order and then apply for the extension based on marriage.

With the extension the only thing that really changes is the financial requirement and instead of having to leave the country every 90 days you have to report to immigration every 90 days (which you can do by post anyway).

• Like 1

Last November in Hull i applied for a non O visa. supplied all documents but they refused as my bank statements did not have my home address on. As its an internet only bank I was not able to go in the high street branch and get the correct statements. When I asked for my passport back she then asked if I no longer wanted a visa.

Hull forward all completed applications to London for issue of visa's so no same day service any more.

If you exit the kingdom on a regular basis it makes sense to just stay as you are saves a hell of a lot of paperwork and if you work it out right and re enter the week or two before your visa is about to expire it becomes a 15 month visa as opposed to a 12 month visa

Agreed, that's what I do. i usually go back to UK once a year so just pick up a new visa when I am there. Normally download the forms and go over to Hull, walk in the office and walk out again 15 minutes later with new visa, easy and hassle free.

The downside is if you visit Thailand's neighbours, most need a visa and your passport fills up fairly quickly. Mine only has half a page left and it is only 4 years old.

This year I will go to the Liverpool passport office and then round to the Liverpool consulate.

Originally came to Thailand on a Non O and then changed it to marriage extension. Despite the hassles every year of changing requirements and the THB400K in the Bank it is, as others have said, far more permanent (I use that word loosely btw) and there is no need to leave the country every 90-days just report to the local Immigration Office which normally takes about 5-mins. Easiest way to get the multiple-entry is at Suvarnabhumi ... takes about 15-mins (well it did last time I got mine).

Last November in Hull i applied for a non O visa. supplied all documents but they refused as my bank statements did not have my home address on. As its an internet only bank I was not able to go in the high street branch and get the correct statements. When I asked for my passport back she then asked if I no longer wanted a visa.

Hull forward all completed applications to London for issue of visa's so no same day service any more.

You posted at same time as I did. I did mine in July and was not aware of the changes, thanks. Will need to phone them first this time.

I also have the old age option.

4) Visiting Thailand as Pensioner aged 65 and over.
Evidence required:
a) Current “DWP Pension Statement” showing receipt of UK State Pension (no minimum
necessary).
Either a single or multiple entry visa may be granted in these circumstances.

I provided my marriage certificate but they refused on the grounds of my bank statement. At the time the guidelines on the website was a blank page so no information available regarding application.

I found them very unhelpful as opposed to my previous applications.

RTCO where at the airport did you apply? on entry or exit?

Thanks

Yes, same happened to me, requirements changed before webpage was updated. Phoned the Hull consulate, yes, just email in the statements. No mention that they must show address!! Meanwhile flight is already booked! Ended up with a multi entry tourist visa.

Why does it seem impossible for a government department to give complete information??

That is correct

A Non-Resident Type-O visa based on marriage has the following benefits over other Type-O visas:

- financial requirements are less. They are either THB 400K in a Thai bank (for I think at least 6 months prior to the application), or THB 60K income a month - like from a pension.

- you are eligible for a Thai Work Permit (which for example you are not eligible for if your Type-O is a tourist or retirement visa).

No Type-O's I know of REQUIRE you to LEAVE Thailand every 90 days. They do require you to report your residence every 90-days. This is done by filling out Thai Immigration form TM-47 - 90 Day Notice and requires a copy of your passport, your visa page, your arrival stamp page, your arrival card (both sides) and surrender of your last 90-Day Notice receipt if you have one. I just mail my TM-47 packet in with a self-addressed stamped envelope and they mail me the receipt back. If you live near an immigration office you should do this in person. You can avoid having to file a TM-47 - 90 Day Notice if you leave Thailand and re-enter. Your 90 days then is reset.

I have a Non-Resident Type-O (Thai Spouse) visa and have not left Thailand for almost two years now.

A Non-Resident Type-O visa based on marriage has the following benefits over other Type-O visas:

- financial requirements are less. They are either THB 400K in a Thai bank (for I think at least 6 months prior to the application), or THB 60K income a month - like from a pension.

- you are eligible for a Thai Work Permit (which for example you are not eligible for if your Type-O is a tourist or retirement visa).

No Type-O's I know of REQUIRE you to LEAVE Thailand every 90 days. They do require you to report your residence every 90-days. This is done by filling out Thai Immigration form TM-47 - 90 Day Notice and requires a copy of your passport, your visa page, your arrival stamp page, your arrival card (both sides) and surrender of your last 90-Day Notice receipt if you have one. I just mail my TM-47 packet in with a self-addressed stamped envelope and they mail me the receipt back. If you live near an immigration office you should do this in person. You can avoid having to file a TM-47 - 90 Day Notice if you leave Thailand and re-enter. Your 90 days then is reset.

I have a Non-Resident Type-O (Thai Spouse) visa and have not left Thailand for almost two years now.

You have an extension, not a visa. A non-O multiple entry does require you to leave the country every 90 days.

They are not talking about a marriage visa, but about an extension based on your marriage.

Yes, as long as your visa itself is valid each time you enter Thailand you will get a new 90 days to stay. So leave Thailand and re-enter just before the visa expires and you get another 90 days and almost 15 months out of it.

You will not have to bother with an extension based on marriage is you leave every few months.

I have a Non O multiple Visa I just want to Verify that if I leave before the end of the actual 1 year I will actually get another 3 months without having to show any money or pay any thing for extension ?

I have a Non O multiple Visa I just want to Verify that if I leave before the end of the actual 1 year I will actually get another 3 months without having to show any money or pay any thing for extension ?

It doesn't matter when you leave but as long as when you come back you enter before the "enter before" date you will get 90 days.

Should you ever wish to have your wife emigrate you will need to document a developing relationship of which a marriage visa would be a part of. Save your photos. It is always best to have a Visa that best reflects your true state because of implications down the road.

The very first couple of posts were spot on - there are no such thing as a "marriage visas" there are simply multiple entry Non-immigrant '0' Visas (valid for a year) which are available on two conditions 1) marriage certificate 2) proof that you are the father of Thai children PLUS proof that you have a bank account and that for at least the last 6 months has had a minimum of ThB 400,000. These Visa's are only available inside Thailand and require you and the wife and sometimes the children to attend the Immigration Department - there are also requirements for you (if asked) to provide photos of the family standing outside the residence (wide angle), a head shot of the family where the house number is clearly visible. Now I have heard from friends that going in with their wife to a Thai Embassy in the UK, Germany and Sweden with their wife has enabled them to get a Non Immigrant 'O' based on marriage - in these 3 cases the wife was a full resident in the country of application.
Now I have discovered to my own discomfort that if you are entering Thailand (as I do regularly)and plan to change your Non-immigrant 'O' Visa into one based on marriage (or dependent children) valid for a year - YOU HAVE TO HAVE A VALID MULTIPLE ENTRY VISA BECAUSE entering with a single entry visa and Immigration stamps it USED - basically cancelling it. So that answers one OPs comment that you don't need a multiple entry Visa - YOU DO - the Hull office was right - and my advice from the Embassy in Abuja, Nigeria WAS WRONG.

EDIT:

This post is incorrect - mario2008

Edited by Mario2008

While I'm on-line let me share with everyone some info I recently picked up on Non-Immigrant 'O' Visas issued on the basis of having dependent children (off the topic but maybe useful to some reading this thread). I was told in an interview with a senior Official at one of the Greater Bangkok Immigration Offices that new regulations were about to be passed and implemented which will require a person applying for a Non Immigrant 'O' Visa based on Thai children to not just produce a birth certificate for the child where he is named as the father BUT ALSO a legal document acknowledging his commitment to support and take financial responsibility for the child. This will have to be obtained from a Thai lower court (a magistrate court). He told me the Department was pushing to have this amendment passed because with this new legally binding document (signed by the father) mothers and the children of the union would be able to obtain dependency orders in countries like the UK.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The very first couple of posts were spot on - there are no such thing as a "marriage visas" there are simply multiple entry Non-immigrant '0' Visas (valid for a year) which are available on two conditions 1) marriage certificate 2) proof that you are the father of Thai children PLUS proof that you have a bank account and that for at least the last 6 months has had a minimum of ThB 400,000. These Visa's are only available inside Thailand and require you and the wife and sometimes the children to attend the Immigration Department - there are also requirements for you (if asked) to provide photos of the family standing outside the residence (wide angle), a head shot of the family where the house number is clearly visible. Now I have heard from friends that going in with their wife to a Thai Embassy in the UK, Germany and Sweden with their wife has enabled them to get a Non Immigrant 'O' based on marriage - in these 3 cases the wife was a full resident in the country of application.
Now I have discovered to my own discomfort that if you are entering Thailand (as I do regularly)and plan to change your Non-immigrant 'O' Visa into one based on marriage (or dependent children) valid for a year - YOU HAVE TO HAVE A VALID MULTIPLE ENTRY VISA BECAUSE entering with a single entry visa and Immigration stamps it USED - basically cancelling it. So that answers one OPs comment that you don't need a multiple entry Visa - YOU DO - the Hull office was right - and my advice from the Embassy in Abuja, Nigeria WAS WRONG.

That's a bit like saying that you wouldn't be issued a re-entry permit for that non-O visa if you had to leave the country during your permission to stay because it was stamped USED.

I think your information is totally wrong with regards to needing to have a multi entry non-O before applying for an extension based on marriage. I am however not an expert on that, but I'm sure one of the experts will put you right.

EDIT:

This post is incorrect - mario2008

You either have a multiple non-O visa and don't need a re-entry permit or you have a single non-O or an extension of stay. In that case you do need a re-entry permit to leave and re-enter.

Immigration in Thailand does not issue a visa to you, they give you an extension of your permission to stay. If you want to keep your permission to stay alive when leaving Thailand you need a re-entry permit.

Money in the bank must be there for 2 months, money in the bank based on children does not have to be seasoned.

The non-o multiple entry requirements, bases on marriage, seem somewhat confusing. I have been getting this visa for several years without a problem. the Hull website now shows that an income of 65k THB must be shown on statements, I do not have that level of income.

I have looked at the Thai Embassy and Liverpool websites and there is no mention of income but as all applications are now going through the embassy I have to assume the websites have not yet been amended.

It looks like they have introduced an old age version of the visa, over 65, and I may well have to take that option.