Ranking Thailand's Immigration Tolerance

ggt

Thailand came in 2nd...in the nations with the least tolerance of immigrants...

This came as a surprise to me...Indonesia was No.1 in least tolerance...

Complete article here: http://www.therichest.com/rich-list/poorest-list/no-go-the-10-countries-least-tolerant-of-immigrants/7/

How does this make you feel...is this shocking...or have you suspected this all along?

Can't take this source at its word. How was such tolerance measured?

Can't find the original survey data. . .

Not suprised by this at all

One supposes its a measure of the number of legal immigrants ie PR and Citizenships granted versus the current population

Farangs living here on visa's or extension of stay's are not legal immigrants BTW as much as some claim to be.

the title of the piece is also misleading to a degree, its not a measure of xenophobia or "hatred" of immigrants

All this piece is basically saying its very hard to be a legal immigrant in Thailand thats all

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Very interesting, looks like a good project.

Any idea how to find the actual survey questions?

Look here for detail about the methodology

http://www.socialprogressimperative.org/data/spi/methodology

And here

http://www.socialprogressimperative.org/data/spi/definitions

Edited by thepool

"TheRichest is an entertainment based website providing commentary, general information in relation to celebrities, luxury items, athletes, businesspersons, public figures, lifestyles, wealthy individuals, current trends and entertainment. Information on the site may contain errors or inaccuracies; the Website does not make any warranty as to the correctness or reliability of the sites content. The Website does not provide any warranty or guarantee as to the accuracy of the information. You acknowledge that such information and materials may contain inaccuracies and errors and we expressly exclude liability for any such inaccuracies or errors."

Yes I did state that wasn't a credible site.

So I guess that's a 'no'.

Thanks anyway. . .

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Yes I did state that wasn't a credible site.

So I guess that's a 'no'.

Thanks anyway. . .

There are no "survey" questions !

The project utilises multiple data sources which is why I directed you to the last two links I provided .

An examination of those pages will explain how the outcomes are achieved.

Even more information here if a good read is wanted !

http://www.socialprogressimperative.org/system/resources/W1siZiIsIjIwMTQvMDQvMDIvMjAvMTkvNDQvMjcyL1NvY2lhbF9Qcm9ncmVzc19JbmRleF8yMDE0X01ldGhvZG9sb2dpY2FsX1JlcG9ydC5wZGYiXV0/Social%20Progress%20Index%202014%20Methodological%20Report.pdf

Edited by thepool

Tolerance towards immigrants varies substantially depending on what country you are from. A Japanese or an American will have a very different experience than Cambodian or Burmese. They are the ones that make up the vast majority of migrants

I don't understand the premise. For instance, The US is often called "the melting pot" because it was inhabited by people of all races and many ethnicities.

On the other hand, the US has strict and difficult immigration policies. So is it tolerant of immigrants? I think the average Joe would rate well if discussing racism, but immigration is a different topic.

There are no "survey" questions !

The project utilises multiple data sources which is why I directed you to the last two links I provided .

An examination of those pages will explain how the outcomes are achieved.

Even more information here if a good read is wanted !

http://www.socialprogressimperative.org/system/resources/W1siZiIsIjIwMTQvMDQvMDIvMjAvMTkvNDQvMjcyL1NvY2lhbF9Qcm9ncmVzc19JbmRleF8yMDE0X01ldGhvZG9sb2dpY2FsX1JlcG9ydC5wZGYiXV0/Social%20Progress%20Index%202014%20Methodological%20Report.pdf

Thanks much for that last link, I guess the way their site is doing the collapsible javascript isn't working in my Chrome setup.

The only information from the PDF says that the "Tolerance for immigrants" factor comes from a Gallup World Poll - so that sure sounds like a survey to me.

How else could you have anything objective, ranking comments on forum discussion boards?

Be great to get further details, look forward to finding out more as they're available.

I don't understand the premise. For instance, The US is often called "the melting pot" because it was inhabited by people of all races and many ethnicities.

On the other hand, the US has strict and difficult immigration policies. So is it tolerant of immigrants? I think the average Joe would rate well if discussing racism, but immigration is a different topic.

I think you'll find US policies not so strict and difficult compared to many, and it's mostly dictated by the huge numbers that are TRYING to get in.

By far the highest proportion of immigrants in the world are in the US - 46 million, or 15% of the US population wasn't born there.

Only 40% of US population growth is coming from the locals spawning, 60% is from immigration.

Just LA has over 5 million Asians, in Hawaii they're now the majority.

And most reasonable Americans realize this is one of the primary engines of our technological innovation and economic growth.

You just need to have enough money or the right skillset - or be a beautiful TG and charm a silly Yank 8-)

Let us not mix up the issues. Confusion makes good ground for antagonism.

Coming to Thailand, living in Thailand on a permanent basis is relatively easy. Without Visa Runs.

Yearly extensions of stay are affordable and easy to get. Never had any problems with Immigration Office.

Immigration to Thailand on the other hand is very difficult. Moreover IMHO it makes very little sense.

Thai people are friendly, smiley and hospitable at least on the surface.

Thai Immigration Laws are unfriendly and farang phobic to the point of being stupid and lacking of logic.

Law being what it is leaves us no alternative but to comply.

Is it difficult? - No. Is it annoying? - Yes. But Law being what it is...