Water heater wire size

Mike45

Dont worry about MEN, the way it is implented is somewhat scary in LOS.

Just make sure you have a Safety-Cut device installed. This works very well with or withiut MEN

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Critter

Sent from my HUAWEI MT1-U06 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The small Criler one is reasonably priced at 1400 Baht,compared to Saf-t-cut products, and could be used to upgrade an existing installation.

Looks as if there may be space for only 2 circuit breakers ? so I guess you have to do your own neutral and earth bar arrangements.

Critter

The small Criler one is reasonably priced at 1400 Baht,compared to Saf-t-cut products, and could be used to upgrade an existing installation.

Looks as if there may be space for only 2 circuit breakers ? so I guess you have to do your own neutral and earth bar arrangements.

I don't understand what you mean by do my own neutral and earth?

I bought the CKY because the RCBO was adjustable and it had an earth and neutral bar.

It also has a wiring diagram( photo in previous post). Can I just follow the diagram to complete my install?

Just make sure you have a Safety-Cut device installed. This works very well with or withiut MEN

Is the CKY CU I bought what you mean. Should i wire like the diagram?

The diagram appears to show the incoming supply Neutral going to the earth/ground bar and ground rod before continuing to the main switch.

This should only be done if you are on a MEN system. If you at all are unsure of the system in your area connect the incoming supply Neutral directly to the main switch only. keep the Earth bar only for connecting the earth wires of the various circuits together and to the ground rod.

If you are in any doubt about what you are doing seek expert advice !!

Critter

I don't understand what you mean by do my own neutral and earth?

I bought the CKY because the RCBO was adjustable and it had an earth and neutral bar.

It also has a wiring diagram( photo in previous post). Can I just follow the diagram to complete my install?

It's possible that the Criler box is intended to be used in conjunction with an existing box as there seems to be no space for the individual circuit breakers to be fitted. That may explain why there's no earth and neutral bars. Perhaps someone could translate the description given on the packaging box ?

The diagram appears to show the incoming supply Neutral going to the earth/ground bar and ground rod before continuing to the main switch.

This should only be done if you are on a MEN system. If you at all are unsure of the system in your area connect the incoming supply Neutral directly to the main switch only. keep the Earth bar only for connecting the earth wires of the various circuits together and to the ground rod.

If you are in any doubt about what you are doing seek expert advice !!

I'm sure that FIH or Crossey will be able to clarify.

Routing the incoming neutral via the ground bar is the Thai way of implementing MEN.

If you are not sure if MEN is available in your area, just take the incoming neutral straight to the main switch and don't link N-E.

I admit I know next to nothing but I expected you to suggest a larger value. My thought process is if a 15/45 gets a 63A I figured a 5/15 would be maybe 30A

I do tend to err on the safe side, 30A would likely be just fine. The meters are incredibly robust but we have had reports on the forum of 5/15's failing catastrophically.

If it's a new installation your local PEA office will give you their requirements. I installed a 63A incomer on our 15/45 and the inspector insisted I change it to a 50A, he even came back to check (and have another beer). That said, it's never opened even when I peaked our load at 60A, if it ever does the 63A is waiting in the wings.

Interesting. The MIL's house has 2 each 60 amp open fuses. 1 on each side. I think that was a standard installation a few years back.

I admit I know next to nothing but I expected you to suggest a larger value. My thought process is if a 15/45 gets a 63A I figured a 5/15 would be maybe 30A

I do tend to err on the safe side, 30A would likely be just fine. The meters are incredibly robust but we have had reports on the forum of 5/15's failing catastrophically.

If it's a new installation your local PEA office will give you their requirements. I installed a 63A incomer on our 15/45 and the inspector insisted I change it to a 50A, he even came back to check (and have another beer). That said, it's never opened even when I peaked our load at 60A, if it ever does the 63A is waiting in the wings.

Interesting. The MIL's house has 2 each 60 amp open fuses. 1 on each side. I think that was a standard installation a few years back.

If you mean that there is an incoming main fuse on both the live and neutral supply wires you should have it changed so that fuses are only on the live side.

Edited by thomasteve

I didn't have time to finish the project before I had to leave. My wife hired the local electrician to install the CKY RCBO CU. She tested it by pressing the test button and the breaker tripped as expected. So it must be OK and working properly.