Looking for advice on non-stick cookware

Does anyone have experience with non-stick cookware purchased in Thailand that is better than the stuff that comes with most cheap pans (I'm talking about the dark brown PTFE coating)? This stuff is easily scratched even when washing it, can burn and in my experience despite being 'non-stick', food sticks to it very easily

Provided it's a high standard of non-stick AND it is durable I'm not too worried about the expense.

Edited by telstrareg

I've never found anything good and I've bought 3-4 pans. Maybe you get a year out of a good quality pan. Usually, you get what you pay for. They deteriorate fairly quickly and I just keep buying em. I suppose the circulon pans are the way to go, if you're not kineeow, like me.

We've got a fry pan now with a white ceramic coating that's seems to be holding up okay.

• Like 1

If you live in Chiang Mai, nne place you can get high quality non stick cookware is at the Meyer's store on Chang Klan road.It's opposite the KFC located at athe @Curve Plaza. There is free parking in a parking lot a few doors north of the store. They ofte have really good sale prices there even on the expensive stuff

There may well be other Meyer's stores elsewhere in the country.

Edited by quidnunc

Buy a plain pan season it correctly when cooking use the right heat the right oil etc.....when finished cooking LET the pan get COLD then add cold water leave for 10 minutes then wash after its dry spray with cooking oil it will last you a lifetime

Buy a plain pan season it correctly when cooking use the right heat the right oil etc.....when finished cooking LET the pan get COLD then add cold water leave for 10 minutes then wash after its dry spray with cooking oil it will last you a lifetime

Presumably you are referring to cast iron cookware or carbon steel. It won't work for other kinds of metal frying pan. Also, these pans require special treatment in cleaning because they are highly susceptible to rust. Basically, you shouldn't use any kind of dishwashing liquid on them. And despite being called "nonstick", they aren't quite particularly cast iron cookware. To make them pretty much nonstick, they require many months of careful treatment and repeated fryings.

• Like 1

My advice is to not purchase non-stick coated cookware.

For baking pans I would recommend Silverwood. Not cheap but last for years if you look after them.

Saucepans? Much the same, do not purchase non-stick. Splash out and be happy for a long time to come.

best advice I can give is to buy cheap pans with decent non-stick (i.e. the black teflon-like coating), because inevitably they will get scratched.

Also check that the pan has a strong rigid bottom that won't dilate / change shape. I got one of the cheap gladatior pans, and while the coating is still fine after a year, I had to bend the bottom back straight more than a couple of times.

One thing I need in the kitchen is good cookware and it was hard for me to find quality stuff in Thailand for a long time until I ran across the ZEBRA brand one day in Makro. I first found one good frying pan at Makro. Later I found a whole set at Central. You can find all kinds of quality cookware at the main anchor store called Central in Central Festival, but all of it is ridiculously expensive. Some pans and I'm talking a single pan cost more than a whole set of quality pans in the US. However, I was lucky to find a whole set of ZEBRA cookware on sale at Central for something like just under 5000 if memory serves me correctly.

These are solid, quality pans and well worth the price given what other pans sell for in this country. The whole set came with all the pans you can use in a kitchen; 2 sizes of sauce pans, a frying pan, a large wok like pan, 2 sizes of pots for stews and it all came with a full set of quality glass lids. They even threw in a couple of utensils. Highly recommended if you can find them.

I have been looking at this issue for about 30 years since I bought my first Circulon pan in the USA and I like that they have produced a fairly good product and I may buy them again if I ever need more.

Since then I went on to the Dr. Mercola website, perhaps the number one or two nutrition website I know of, and Dr. Mercola has enamel covered cast iron which has the best of both worlds being great quality metal and also non-stick (basically). You have to decide whether or not it is worth the investment and as I recalled I ordered around Thanksgiving when he does free shipping globally. It was worth the investment to me as my health is my primary investment in my life and this something you only should have to buy once or twice in your life so why not get the best!

Lots of places to look with all of the new malls around and I see great selections at Airport Central on the top floor (5th?) and also the new Baan and Beyond also at Airport Central but the new mall outside. Possibly CM Festival Mall which has a lot of new cool stuff on the basement floor in the supermarket there.

Amazon I have not looked at yet but maybe!

I've never found anything good and I've bought 3-4 pans. Maybe you get a year out of a good quality pan. Usually, you get what you pay for. They deteriorate fairly quickly and I just keep buying em. I suppose the circulon pans are the way to go, if you're not kineeow, like me.

We've got a fry pan now with a white ceramic coating that's seems to be holding up okay.

Hi Pinot,

I've actually been on the lookout for ceramic based cookware...what brand?

Hi Pinot,

I've actually been on the lookout for ceramic based cookware...what brand?

Thanks smile.png

I had to go look. It's Seagull which is a popular brand here. It's 6 months old now and has a few scratches. The TG says it's better than the comparable regular non-stick. I think it was 800 baht.

• Like 1

The absolute best is Analon hard anodized non stick- these pans will still look brand new in 20 years time. They are not cheap- but Chic Republic was doing a big set for 9000, which is not bad. One large pan in the UK will set you back £100 ( 5000) - so its a good deal.

• Like 1

We've had a large ZEBRA fry pan that is unmarked after three years almost daily usage. Also a cheaper SEAGULL small fry pan that gets almost as much use, and is still in good nick, however we do use wooden cooking tools not the metal that seem popular here in Thailand. Also if something does get cremated we leave it to soak rather than digging the debris off the bottom of the pan

• Like 1

I bought some stuff on e-bay and the shipping from America was only 500 baht for 3 pieces.the cookware was organic green.I'm a chef and have 2 at my work back home.if you buy through company expensive but e-bay or amazon cheap

Yep still in Robinson's a few weeks ago.

TEFAL and Teflon always been good for me.

But a bit heavy for moving around 3 countries in 8 years...

Tefal Presidential series. Used to have in Robinson's, where I bought mine, but I haven't looked in a while. The cheaper Tefal lines aren't worth it.

Using ceramic coated pans and they are excellent, far better than teflon ones.

Got them at Zen on the 7th floor.

Nothing sticks to it… But I still treat them the same way as teflon ones, making sure not to scratch them.

So far a couple of years old and looking like new.

I had a chance to use a ceramic coated pan recently and I've got to say it performed very well and was genuinely non stick. The one problem - if it is a problem - with these pans and the analon anodized is that they are made of aluminium. This means that they won't work with induction ranges which are rapidly growing in popularity.

I've had at least 10 frying pans over the last 8 years, They all lost or burned away their coating.

Now I have had one for over a year and it's still like new, bought in IKEA BKK.

Not cheap but definitely not expensier than most "good" quality pans made in Thailand.

Using ceramic coated pans and they are excellent, far better than teflon ones.

Got them at Zen on the 7th floor.

Nothing sticks to it… But I still treat them the same way as teflon ones, making sure not to scratch them.

So far a couple of years old and looking like new.

Might be similar to the ones we have. I mean, we have LOTS of pans. But the ones that get used the most around here, hands down, are either ceramic, or baked enamel, or some such. We have two. Large and extra large.

Sorry, but don't know the brand. The finish inside is black, but with white spots throughout. Absolutely non-stick and non-teflon, and super easy to clean.

Difficult to find, but Robinson's had at least one. I think about 700-800 Baht for a large one. Definitely worth looking for.