DTAC vs AIS 12Call

lingua101

Hi,

I have been using 12Call for more than 8 years. The reason why I chose 12Call last time because it can roam in Singapore, hence for me, "frequent" traveler to Bangkok (I travel there from twice to 6 times per years, depending), it will become handy, as I can always add the money which will extend the validity of the card while I am in Singapore if need be.

But recently, after it moves to 3G, I think the 12Call data "package" is rather confusing. There were few times that my balance just run out, because the "package" has expired and it started charging me per KB until I run out of money. I normally activate "unlimited" daily internet for like 50+ bath/day. But this package have only limited maximum speed (which is few M only). After I went to AIS shop I decided to subscribe to 1 week package for 200+, as I would still stay for another 3 days that time. And 1 week package give 1G max speed data, which also run out before my last day in BKK.

Also 12Call website is getting very "messy" and hard to find the info nowsaday.

I went to DTAC website and found their 1 week data is cheaper only B199. I am considering to get one and also some of the information is much easier to find (at least for English version). But few questions I have :

1. For international roaming, how can activate this on DTAC? Is it easy process by pressing some numbers or I have to go to DTAC office? I need a sim card that can roam in Singapore, just in case I am not going to Bangkok when the sim is about to expire.

2. How the validity period works?

I found from the website, if I top up B50/100, it has 30 days validity. Does this start from the day of top up or 30 days from the current validity date (like 12Call)?

Thanks for any info.

Roaming on dtac should always activated but it not realy works

Often outside Thailand loose network

And need hours can log in again

Ais have a bad policy after your package running out and you not recognize it, the charge each megabyte

Then credit gone

Since to week the have a automated self renew edge plus package until so long you have money on the care!

It's enough for me 86 thb

I can also watch YouTube video

Better then true is more slowly until speed go down!

This package for me better then a 3G

3 gb package with limit I use up in 5 days

I can do everything I want without thinking of data usage coz unlimited

True slow down your speed to 1 kb when you download more then 10 gigs a month forgot about it!

Ais have a bad policy after your package running out and you not recognize it, the charge each megabyte

Then credit gone

Since to week the have a automated self renew edge plus package until so long you have money on the care!

It's enough for me 86 thb

I can also watch YouTube video

Better then true is more slowly until speed go down!

This package for me better then a 3G

3 gb package with limit I use up in 5 days

I can do everything I want without thinking of data usage coz unlimited

True slow down your speed to 1 kb when you download more then 10 gigs a month forgot about it!

Thanks for the reply. It seems you are using google translate to do translation?

So I am trying to understand:

1. DTAC can do international roaming without any need to do activation?

2. DTAC while roaming may be bad? I am ok, as long as I can get some connection. I will not use it anyway, more on getting activation code to login to eservice and top up if needed.

3. are you saying DTAC data is also better than True?

All 3 major service providers here offer international roaming on pre-paid SIMs.

IR must be enabled by the customer; this can be done via: IVR, USSD, Web, call center, mobile app, smoke signals.

Validity/expiry is a challenging issue to address as there are many, many, many, many, many schemes; old ones are retained and new ones introduced.

Very generally speaking, for new SIMs validities are capped at 60 days. DTAC offers a method to buy extra validity:

http://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/services/freeday.html

Note the requirements.

And TrueMove H just introduced a rolling, cumulative top=up/validity scheme which allows 30 days per top-up (as little as 10/12 baht, so 120/144 baht yields 306 days), up to a maximum of 365 days.

I don't fully understand the OPs' requirements, especially roaming (is that needed for voice/data in other countries, or just to manage the SIM?).

Visiting two times per year vs. six times per year would yield different recommendations; if the former just buy a new SIM, if the latter keep one SIM and "manage" it.

We also need to know exactly what make and model phone you have.

Assuming the phone supports 850 MHz 3G I would recommend TrueMove H; add 12 top-ups to get the maximum 360 day validity, then subscribe to the unlimited/volume-based mobile data plan that meets your requirements:

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/3g/toppings/iplay/entry/654

Maybe Net 249 (1 GB/7 days) or one of the the other Net 399/599/899 - 30 day packages.

All 3 major service providers here offer international roaming on pre-paid SIMs.

IR must be enabled by the customer; this can be done via: IVR, USSD, Web, call center, mobile app, smoke signals.

Validity/expiry is a challenging issue to address as there are many, many, many, many, many schemes; old ones are retained and new ones introduced.

Very generally speaking, for new SIMs validities are capped at 60 days. DTAC offers a method to buy extra validity:

http://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/services/freeday.html

Note the requirements.

And TrueMove H just introduced a rolling, cumulative top=up/validity scheme which allows 30 days per top-up (as little as 10/12 baht, so 120/144 baht yields 306 days), up to a maximum of 365 days.

I don't fully understand the OPs' requirements, especially roaming (is that needed for voice/data in other countries, or just to manage the SIM?).

Visiting two times per year vs. six times per year would yield different recommendations; if the former just buy a new SIM, if the latter keep one SIM and "manage" it.

We also need to know exactly what make and model phone you have.

Assuming the phone supports 850 MHz 3G I would recommend TrueMove H; add 12 top-ups to get the maximum 360 day validity, then subscribe to the unlimited/volume-based mobile data plan that meets your requirements:

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/3g/toppings/iplay/entry/654

Maybe Net 249 (1 GB/7 days) or one of the the other Net 399/599/899 - 30 day packages.

On the roaming, basically the ability to have the sim card to be active while overseas is the only requirement. My previous DTAC/True sim card did not have any signal in Singapore, while my 12call had.

I do have bank account in Thailand which send an otp into thai number (currently my 12call). so ability to retain the number is very important.

So to me as long as the card can do IR and there is "easy way" to top-up, this will be enough as I can always top it up closer to the expiry date to extend its validity.

I also notice DTAC can do top up using foreign CC, which the feature that 12Call does not support anymore. This is a big plus if I really need to top up from out-side Thailand.

I am using Android phone now. Prefer generic plan, which I have few phones.

As for my travel pattern, it cannot be predicted. So we should just assume like 2 travel per year in worst scenario, I have been traveling to BKK every month since 2014, well in fact, I will be in BKK again this weekend after end of March visit. But prior to Jan visit, my last visit to the Kingdom was in August 2013.

Edited by lingua101

What is the exact make and model of your phone? This is very important information to share.

You can port numbers from one provider to another here, if you want to keep a number, so you could take your number from AIS/One-2-Call to TrueMove H, if you wanted.

You can change the number at your bank, although you have to do this in person - very simple to do.

I am fairly certain AIS/One-2-Call, DTAC and TrueMove H have IR partners in Singapore, but your phone would need to support the requisite frequency, and you'd have to have IR enabled.

There are many, many, many, many options for managing top-ups and validity.

Every service provider, SIM, plan, promotion has different "rules" re: top-ups and validity.

I'm totally confused as to what SIMs you have, and what SIMs you want to keep.

I'm sort of guessing here that you currently have at least an AIS/One-2-Call SIM with a number you want to keep, and you can manage the top-up validity even if it has a maximum of 60 days. So what issues are you having, exactly?

I guess I would go to an AIS/TWZ shop and...

port your AIS/One-2-Call SIM/number to the new AIS/AWN/One-2-Call 2100 MHz subsidiary

add value

inquire about top-up and validity options - my sense is that you may be limited to 60 days validity maximum, unless they offer you some method to pay for extended validity

re-enable IR http://www.ais.co.th/roaming/en/index.aspx

subscribe to a daily, weekly or monthly volume-based, unlimited 3G plan - these types of plans insure that you do not pay for any over-use; some of these plans may auto-renew so be sure to cancel them if you leave Thailand.

http://www.ais.co.th/3g/en/package.aspx?id=4&type=mobile_package#tips

post-9615-0-76691900-1396859512_thumb.jp

What is the exact make and model of your phone? This is very important information to share.

You can port numbers from one provider to another here, if you want to keep a number, so you could take your number from AIS/One-2-Call to TrueMove H, if you wanted.

You can change the number at your bank, although you have to do this in person - very simple to do.

I am fairly certain AIS/One-2-Call, DTAC and TrueMove H have IR partners in Singapore, but your phone would need to support the requisite frequency, and you'd have to have IR enabled.

There are many, many, many, many options for managing top-ups and validity.

Every service provider, SIM, plan, promotion has different "rules" re: top-ups and validity.

I'm totally confused as to what SIMs you have, and what SIMs you want to keep.

I'm sort of guessing here that you currently have at least an AIS/One-2-Call SIM with a number you want to keep, and you can manage the top-up validity even if it has a maximum of 60 days. So what issues are you having, exactly?

I guess I would go to an AIS/TWZ shop and...

port your AIS/One-2-Call SIM/number to the new AIS/AWN/One-2-Call 2100 MHz subsidiary

add value

inquire about top-up and validity options - my sense is that you may be limited to 60 days validity maximum, unless they offer you some method to pay for extended validity

re-enable IR http://www.ais.co.th/roaming/en/index.aspx

subscribe to a daily, weekly or monthly volume-based, unlimited 3G plan - these types of plans insure that you do not pay for any over-use; some of these plans may auto-renew so be sure to cancel them if you leave Thailand.

http://www.ais.co.th/3g/en/package.aspx?id=4&type=mobile_package#tips

I have few phones.... If you need to know..... LG F5, Sony Xperia Z1 and BB Z10, not to mentioned some older version of Xperia Arc. All phones are 3G/4G capables,

I have 12Call Sim card. May be to be exact is the 2100Mhz card which I did the exchange last year.

My current problem with 12Call 3G is their 3G data package is sucks. My trip to Thailand normally only 2-3 days. I used to subscribe to daily unlimited internet package which cost me around B50/day. Nowadays, not only they capped the max speed at something like 100MB for daily package, and also no warning when your package expire and hence it will start charging you per KB/MB and it will make me lost credit.

I notice DTAC 7 days package is only B199 with 1GB max speed, which comparable to 4 days daily package, so even if I travel to BKK for only 3 days it is ok. 12Call charge around B249 I think....

so I am considering to buy DTAC sim card now.....due to cheaper and less hassle internet package.

I am not sure if this will make it clearer....

Then credit gone

I agree with everything he says.

DTAC earned my loyalty when I discovered, if you did not sign up with any of their data packages, they will automatically cap your expenditure to 49 baht/day (all DTAC prices are listed without VAT though, so call it 53. Which is still ok). Unlike AIS, you cannot accidentally use up all of your credit for data without realising it. I appreciate a company that is not explicitly out to rob me of my money.

As far as I can tell, DTAC SIMs are *automatically* roaming-activated - there should be no need to specifically activate roaming for a DTAC prepaid SIM you pick up at the airport or 7-11.

BUT in my few experiences in Singapore so far with a DTAC TriNet SIM, I have had trouble in Singapore (but not Malaysia, so it's not a 900/2100MHz issue). This would be a SIM card issue and not a roaming-activation issue. If you take a DTAC SIM you might not want to switch to TriNet.

I've only used DTAC prepaid topups either from the machine in 7-11 or a scratch card (also from 7-11). Each 100 baht gives me a further 30 days. I would stick with the 100 baht cards, I think 200 baht only gives 30 days as well, so you are better off using two 100 baht cards than a single 200 baht card since validity matters to you.

Be warned the weekly and monthly data packages are auto-renewing, you will need to call them up to cancel them or it will slowly eat up the value in your account.

Edited by build6

Once you have a DTAC SIM for ~ 90 days, you may be able to use the Day Giveaway procedure to purchase increased validity.

DTAC have a Tourist SIM, the 299 baht version may be of interest?

http://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/products/touristsim.html

Otherwise simply purchase any DTAC/Tri-NET/Happy SIM for as little as 49 baht, add value, then subscribe to a volume-based, unlimited daily, weekly or monthly mobile data plan.

http://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/products/Happy-internet-package.html

I had to manually enable IR with AIS, TrueMove and DTAC. This can be done quite easily using the various means previously covered. The Android app. may be the simplest?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=th.co.crie.tron2.android

Yes the AIS plan is 249 for 7 days, while the DTAC plan is 199 for 7 days; I sort of assumed you wanted to keep your AIS SIM?

No Iam not using google translator anymore!

1. Every operator has a iPhone or android app you can recharge every number no matter where you are on this little blue planet!

2. With some foreign mobile phones

True with there exotic 850 MHz range

Make problem, because not every phone support it

Bought a lg Optimus for my wife!

Was unable to connect to true only ais was working!

Send back to amazon within one month

And bought a htc one instead

The lg phone before has a miserable unsharp camera picture also

DTAC has both StarHub and M1 as IR partners in Singapore.

You can review any country here: http://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/services/roaming/rates.html

Click on "Details" for the services and frequencies supported.

You can enable/disable IR (Happy Go Inter) with DTAC via: their mobile app. web-based e-Services, *118# send, call center 1678, email: [email protected] , stopping by a DTAC shop etc.

The reason the phone specs are important is because, ideally, a 3G 850/2100 MHz compatible phone still gives the most flexibility here, re: DTAC and TrueMove H/CAT. I wouldn't recommend TrueMove H, for example, if you handset did not support 3G/850.

Re: weekly, unlimited, volume-based mobile data plans, the DTAC 199 plan has a FuP of 64 Kbps, while the AIS 249 plan has a FuP of 128 Kbps, in case that might make a difference.

TrueMove H also has a 7 day plan for 249 baht, FuP is 128 Kbps.

DTAC has both StarHub and M1 as IR partners in Singapore.

You can review any country here: http://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/services/roaming/rates.html

all I can say is, before I went to exchange the prepaid DTAC SIM card I bought in a 7-11 for TriNet SIM card, the phone+SIM roamed fine in both Malaysia and Singapore. I did not have to manually activate roaming, it just connected when I turned the phone on.

After I exchanged it for a TriNet-compatible SIM, the phone roamed fine in Malaysia but not in Singapore. I did a manual network search and saw all 3 Singapore telco networks "in-air" listed, in 2G and 3G variants, but was unable to connect to any of them fine. AFAIK Singapore and Malaysia both use the same frequencies so that's not it (plus, pre-TriNet it worked for roaming).

When I returned to Thailand after the first post-TriNet SIM swap, I did check with a service centre if international roaming was activated, and they said it was (plus, it worked fine in Malaysia). The following trip to Singapore, still no roaming. So I think it's something to do with the SIM and not activation/phone hardware. It's not important for me that the phone roams to Singapore so I'm not going to pursue this further, I'm just saying TriNet doesn't roam for me to Singapore, which might be useful information for the thread starter.

I was in Singapore a few months ago, I have a DTAC Tri-NET SIM with IR enabled - I enabled it using the web-based e-Servies platform at the time, it roamed fine, on M1. I received SMSes from DTAC "welcoming" me to Singapore, and detailing the services and prices, just as I have in many, many, many other countries. I sent one standard SMS, received ~ 5 SMSes. I did not attempt to make/receive any voice calls.

Before changing my SIM for the TriNet SIM, that was exactly what happened for me. I'd get the "welcome" SMS messages, my phone would auto connect to one of the networks (don't remember which). This is how it STILL happens for when I'm in Malaysia.

But last 2 times I was in Singapore, the TriNet SIM would not auto connect, and when I manually tried to search for an "operator" to connect to, I could see listed SingTel, StarHub, and M1, both "2G" and "3G" options, but my phone would connect to none of them.

It would cycle for a bit, I'd get a dialog saying that connecting to the network would only give me limited services and do I want to search for others? (can't remember exact wording). It doesn't matter which option I click at that point because they both drop me back into a no-connection state.

I tried *every* network listed, it was the same for all.

It cannot be the phone because with the old SIM it worked fine. And, I repeat, it works fine in Malaysia - it's not like it won't roam at all.

I was in Singapore a few months ago, I have a DTAC Tri-NET SIM with IR enabled - I enabled it using the web-based e-Servies platform at the time, it roamed fine, on M1. I received SMSes from DTAC "welcoming" me to Singapore, and detailing the services and prices, just as I have in many, many, many other countries. I sent one standard SMS, received ~ 5 SMSes. I did not attempt to make/receive any voice calls.

Edited by build6

But last 2 times I was in Singapore, the TriNet SIM would not auto connect, and when I manually tried to search for an "operator" to connect to, I could see listed SingTel, StarHub, and M1, both "2G" and "3G" options, but my phone would connect to none of them.

to clarify - roaming worked fine for me before I went and moved my DTAC number to TriNet (which necessitated a SIM change). After that, I went to Singapore. Phone did not roam as it did before the SIM change.

When I went back to Thailand, though it wasn't a deal breaker for me I was curious enough to ask if roaming had been turned off when my SIM was changed to the TriNet-compatible SIM.

Service centre staff checked and said roaming for me was turned on and there's no distinction between countries (since it's always worked in Malaysia, TriNet or not). They told me I might need to manually connect to a network, the auto connection "sometimes" doesn't work.

So the next trip to Singapore, when I was faced with no auto connection again so I tried manual connection. Did not work either. At this point I do not plan to pursue it further.

to clarify - roaming worked fine for me before I went and moved my DTAC number to TriNet (which necessitated a SIM change). After that, I went to Singapore. Phone did not roam as it did before the SIM change.

When I went back to Thailand, though it wasn't a deal breaker for me I was curious enough to ask if roaming had been turned off when my SIM was changed to the TriNet-compatible SIM.

Service centre staff checked and said roaming for me was turned on and there's no distinction between countries (since it's always worked in Malaysia, TriNet or not). They told me I might need to manually connect to a network, the auto connection "sometimes" doesn't work.

So the next trip to Singapore, when I was faced with no auto connection again so I tried manual connection. Did not work either. At this point I do not plan to pursue it further.

On TriNet, you might need to set the SIM to "Roaming fast search" mode and reboot the phone for roaming to work (see the second page of http://dtac.co.th/pdf/trinet/dual-imsi-menu-android-device.pdf). If your SIM does not have that option, then you'd need to change your SIM at a service center.

• Like 1

On TriNet, you might need to set the SIM to "Roaming fast search" mode and reboot the phone for roaming to work (see the second page of http://dtac.co.th/pdf/trinet/dual-imsi-menu-android-device.pdf). If your SIM does not have that option, then you'd need to change your SIM at a service center.

Thank you. I will give it a try next time I'm in Singapore. But my issue here isn't so much a "search" issue as inability to connect (since it wouldn't allow me to manually attach to any of the networks I found). I suspect there'd be a SIM change required to get it to work, but like I said this is not critical for me (and I'd imagine there's better than even odds that whatever SIM the service centre staff change me to would be the wrong one and I'd have to do it yet again).

Oh! Speaking of network search - when I got back to Suvarnabhumi after that trip I played around with the network search option and I saw a LTE DTAC network (which I couldn't connect to as well). So it definitely already is being rolled out, if only for testing purposes.

Thank you. I will give it a try next time I'm in Singapore. But my issue here isn't so much a "search" issue as inability to connect (since it wouldn't allow me to manually attach to any of the networks I found). I suspect there'd be a SIM change required to get it to work, but like I said this is not critical for me (and I'd imagine there's better than even odds that whatever SIM the service centre staff change me to would be the wrong one and I'd have to do it yet again).

It's less to do with search and more to how the SIM identifies itself. In Thailand, the SIM would identify itself as 52005 (DTAC TriNet) to allow it to connect with the network. However, only the old DTAC network has roaming agreement with foreign operators. So DTAC used a "Dual IMSI SIM" which allows the SIM to identify itself as 52018 (old DTAC) when abroad. I guess the option forces the SIM to try 52018 first, but I don't know the details.

As long as your SIM has the "Network Support" option, it should be the correct one.

• Like 1

I have a new DTAC/Tri-NET SIM, with IR enabled, it has worked for me in Singapore, China, Japan, Hong Kong, Malaysia, U.S. over the past few months.

That DTAC SIM services app. is not yet available for Android 4.4 - I think it works with 4.2 and older?, but I have not needed it to roam internationally. Further, contacts at DTAC told me that I did not need this app., to modify searching. And, I was told that roaming agreements are being updated for the DTN MCC/MNC of 520-05.

Net, net, I doubt the OP will have any issues if he decides to go with TrueMove H or DTAC, re: roaming in Singapore. It is easy to build up validity now with TrueMove H via multiple top-ups, and with DTAC via the Day-Giveaway promotion. Not sure about AIS extended validity although they have had a Mao-Mao promotion, which added 30 days, for 30 baht, and it included some voice minutes as well.

It's less to do with search and more to how the SIM identifies itself. In Thailand, the SIM would identify itself as 52005 (DTAC TriNet) to allow it to connect with the network. However, only the old DTAC network has roaming agreement with foreign operators. So DTAC used a "Dual IMSI SIM" which allows the SIM to identify itself as 52018 (old DTAC) when abroad. I guess the option forces the SIM to try 52018 first, but I don't know the details.

As long as your SIM has the "Network Support" option, it should be the correct one.

ah I see. but my takeaway from this is "when new agreements are negotiated as TriNet things will work automatically" i.e. "I don't need to do anything if I wait" - is that correct? Not doing anything is my preferred course of action biggrin.png

I have a new DTAC/Tri-NET SIM, with IR enabled, it has worked for me in Singapore, China, Japan, Hong Kong, Malaysia, U.S. over the past few months.

That DTAC SIM services app. is not yet available for Android 4.4 - I think it works with 4.2 and older?, but I have not needed it to roam internationally. Further, contacts at DTAC told me that I did not need this app., to modify searching. And, I was told that roaming agreements are being updated for the DTN MCC/MNC of 520-05.

Net, net, I doubt the OP will have any issues if he decides to go with TrueMove H or DTAC, re: roaming in Singapore. It is easy to build up validity now with TrueMove H via multiple top-ups, and with DTAC via the Day-Giveaway promotion. Not sure about AIS extended validity although they have had a Mao-Mao promotion, which added 30 days, for 30 baht, and it included some voice minutes as well.

well, all I can say is that mine, post-TriNet SIM-card swap, worked automatically in Malaysia but not Singapore (and the two countries use the same frequencies so work pretty good for comparative purposes?) ...

slightly-off-topic: have you scanned for/seen DTAC LTE networks anywhere? Are you able to connect with your TriNet SIM?

The "app" is a "SIM Toolkit" app stored on the SIM and not the phone, so it should be available regardless of OS or OS version.

ah I see. but my takeaway from this is "when new agreements are negotiated as TriNet things will work automatically" i.e. "I don't need to do anything if I wait" - is that correct? Not doing anything is my preferred course of action biggrin.png.pagespeed.ce.XhpYJIv77v.png

I guess. But I don't know if DTAC is in a hurry to negotiate the new agreements or not since users can already connect with the "Dual IMSI" SIM.

well, all I can say is that mine, post-TriNet SIM-card swap, worked automatically in Malaysia but not Singapore (and the two countries use the same frequencies so work pretty good for comparative purposes?) ...

This is a pure guess, but one possibility is that the contract has already been negotiated with Malaysian carriers allowing 52005 to be used.

Alright, took advantage of the Songkran break, flew to Singapore. When I reached Suvarnabhumi, my TriNet phone received an SMS asking/reminding me about international roaming (which I thought was a nice touch) and to activate "roaming fast search" with *124*5*9#. I duly did so. Boarded, flew, landed in Singapore, and ...

no roaming. I went to my "dtac services" app (which appears to basically be a different interface to the same things as performed by USSD codes?) and mucked about with the various options - no improvement. I went to the Network Operator setting and tried to manually connect with each and every network I saw listed - no go. I attach screenshots for completeness' sake.

post-186504-0-19050000-1397757651_thumb.post-186504-0-63086600-1397757663_thumb.post-186504-0-70971600-1397757674_thumb.

my pre-TriNet DTAC SIM card roamed happily. my AIS (2100) SIM also roamed fine. my True Manchester United 4G SIM did not automagically connect but I could manually get it to associate and it worked then on.

Edited by build6

all my sims can roam now , irrespective of carrier

i think they all have a deal with partners in other countries

AIS maybe the most expensive but it works good in my bkk office

the others maybe a bit cheaper and ass omeone mentioned you need

one that works where you live /spend majority your time etc

there is a lot of thailand that AIS has no signal at all :o

Been on 1-2-1 Calls website looking for prepaid monthly packages in English but can't see it. Not all the pages translate!

??

Does anyone have any info on this pls? Also is AIS 1-2-Call or am I getting confused?

Thanks

AN odd mix, but you should be able to figure it out:

http://www.ais.co.th/3g/en/package.aspx?id=4&type=mobile_package#

Yes, One-2-Call remains the pre-paid brand for AIS, both "old" GSM 900 and "new" 2100 (AWN).

• 2 weeks later...

okayyyy.....

so I flew to Singapore again.

realised after clearing Singapore airport immigration, that I'd completely forgotten to turn off my phone. So I take it out and... it'd roamed successfully. I hadn't done anything since my last trip where it didn't roam. No idea what made the difference (unless it is that the phone feels happier connecting to Malaysian networks first - I have "welcome to Malaysia" messages from when the plane was in their airspace).

angry.gif

I'll keep an eye open the next trip I make to Singapore, to see if it roams again. Maybe it only works every alternate trip guitar.gif

Alright, took advantage of the Songkran break, flew to Singapore. When I reached Suvarnabhumi, my TriNet phone received an SMS asking/reminding me about international roaming (which I thought was a nice touch) and to activate "roaming fast search" with *124*5*9#. I duly did so. Boarded, flew, landed in Singapore, and ...

no roaming. I went to my "dtac services" app (which appears to basically be a different interface to the same things as performed by USSD codes?) and mucked about with the various options - no improvement. I went to the Network Operator setting and tried to manually connect with each and every network I saw listed - no go. I attach screenshots for completeness' sake.

my pre-TriNet DTAC SIM card roamed happily. my AIS (2100) SIM also roamed fine. my True Manchester United 4G SIM did not automagically connect but I could manually get it to associate and it worked then on.