Thai firms to supply uniforms for 10 World Cup teams

webfact

Thai firms to supply uniforms for 10 World Cup teams

PNECO570407001000701_07042014_012327.jpg

BANGKOK, 7 April 2014 (NNT) – The Department of International Trade Promotion (DITP) has revealed that Thai garment companies are being commissioned to produce outfits for ten football teams competing in the 2014 FIFA World Cup.

Thanks to the approaching FIFA World Cup, DITP Director-General Nantawan Sakuntanaga said Nike and Adidas, two sportswear giants, had chosen Thailand as one of their suppliers of World Cup uniforms. Four Thai firms, namely Hi-Tech Group, Nice Group, Hong Seng Group and Liberty Group, will be making both official uniforms and training outfits for ten national teams joining the final tournament in Brazil.

Moreover, replicas of the national uniforms will also be produced by the companies for sale to football fans across the globe. The combined number of orders placed by Nike and Adidas is 3 million units.

According to Mr Wanlop Witanakorn, Vice Chairman of the Federation of Thai Industries and President of Hi-Tech Group, since sportswear accounts for one-third of Thailand’s garment exports, the World Cup frenzy this year is expected to help boost growth in the segment to 5% with an export value of over 3 billion US dollars, increasing from last year.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-04-07 footer_n.gif

Well this is a garment making country , although the colour co- ordinated is a bit odd sometimes, like , there seems to be a lot of red and yellow shirts about , however good luck , good to see something different making the small print , golly good show what.w00t.gif

This article is complete BS.

Umbro, Nike, Adida etc. do not produce in large volumes in Thailand, far from it. Their cheap, piss-taking, delapidating labour remains elsewehere in Southern Asia. They are the companies OF NAME yes, but as for production in Thailand... complete BullS.

The article contains some truth, in that Thai companies will produce the goods, but they will in no way be produced or manufactured in Thailand, because even Thai companies take advantage of their neighbours, including Bangladesh.

Poor show, Mr. Nantawan....... liar, liar, pants and hard working kids under the age of 12 on fire. annoyed.gif.pagespeed.ce.EWbqpZ7s0b.gif

It's not like these firms were directly requested to do the uniforms by the teams. They are indirect sources of Adidas and Nike. A false sense of pride.

Can't wait to get my counterfeit versions when these firms release them on the streets of Thailand.

If the uniforms do get produced here they're going to barely pass the quality check. I remember when i was buying Vans at Jatujak a few years ago the thai Mrchant had two prices for the same shoe style. One for Vans manufactured in China and one for Vans manufactured in Thailand :)

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by phiber

I consider this as jobs for Thais which is good but the thai companies are only subcontracters as are most of the garment industry in in SE Asia. Most of the income goes to Nike and Adidas which is rightfully theirs due to the brand building and R&D in design and marketing but until Thailand invests more in R&D, innovation and building their own brands they will be forever stuck in the middle income trap.

With the WC just around the corner, I would surmise that this has been known a long time ago, if however the manufacturers have just found out their success then I can see the kit, like the Brazil stadiums, not ready on time.

Anyhow forget the kit, where can we watch the games here in Thailand ?

The global football clubs should be ashamed to outsource this business to Thailand instead of withing FIFA countries. Especially given the child and illegal labor trade in Thailand and their record on the abuse of human beings. Shame on FIFA for not using poor deserving countries in Africa and South America. Shame, shame, shame.

• Like 1

This is a good news for Thailand....and nothing new. Most 3rd world countries like Thailand have 2 kinds of products. One for internal consumption, and one for exports. Common people and local buyers never have even the opportunity to see what is being made for exports since many years. Like very expensive Italian shoes made in Brazil, fine Britain horse lather saddles made in Argentina, unique Italian granite and marble tiles from Africa, Ceramics from Mexico, etc, etc, You will be surprised to see the high quality of the products made in Thailand and selling to the high end consumers around the world, many with labels stating MADE IN FRANCE, ITALY, USA, etc. ...and showing big brand names....and big prices. How about an Italiian leather shoe for $10,000 US "Made in Italian"...from the city of Franca, interior of Brazil since 1975. Unfortunately the factory now is in China. ...with Brazilian owners. It is called "Global Economy"....

If the uniforms do get produced here they're going to barely pass the quality check. I remember when i was buying Vans at Jatujak a few years ago the thai Mrchant had two prices for the same shoe style. One for Vans manufactured in China and one for Vans manufactured in Thailand :)

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Check out the quality of the official Buriram United shirts....very good quality although I don't know where they are made...but assume (maybe naiively) Thailand.