Expert warns of severe drought in Thailand next year

webfact

So we have floods and droughts nearly every year now and of cause we mustn't forget the productive water management program that the government and its contractors are eating from working on.

The problem with this thread is most posters are bringing logic into their thoughts where we should all know it's just not that simple here in the LOS.

I think this is a problem for Suradit69 biggrin.png

So we have floods and droughts nearly every year now and of cause we mustn't forget the productive water management program that the government and its contractors are eating from working on.

The problem with this thread is most posters are bringing logic into their thoughts where we should all know it's just not that simple here in the LOS.

I think this is a problem for Suradit69 biggrin.png

Its pretty much impossible to run dams to mitigate floods and use them to feed.such water intensive as rice.

After all what is rice irrigation? A managed flood.

I would think that engineers should develop a <deleted>/canal system along the many rivers to control the flow and save water for dry seasons. There must be a lot of water running into the ocean every day, why not save this. Let it back up until the river at least fills its own river bed and then control the release. Not a difficult concept.

Oh ... I see my mistake, ... Control and Thailand not a thing found in here.

whistling.gif

Actually this is my favorite subject since I have a flood management consulting and systems company based in Thailand, which is one of the very few. We are working currently with the Royal Irrigation Dept. (RID) on development of some projects for everything from coastal ocean erosion to flood prevention and mitigation, including the storage of excess water in monkey cheeks for use during the dry season.

As most people know the budget for some projects is now suspended awaiting a new gov't being formed to be moved forward again. It is too bad that it was tied up with politics, and in spite of some assumptions of the potential for corruption taking place, the fact is even with corruption present, it is better to get these projects done to save lives and property, including many foreign factories located here (due to the FDI which Thailand has successfully attracted), from being destroyed. Is it better to wait for 100% transparency and let people die in the meanwhile and to see businesses closed with 1,000s losing their jobs and hundreds of thousands losing their houses? We can sit here and debate reforms and eliminating corruption for years, but in the meanwhile, let's try to save the rice farmers so they will have water to plant crops, which helps the economy and employs people, and to prevent floods from destroying the economy further.

There was a national flood plan approved in 1997 which was never implemented due to both economic and political reasons, which one could write a book about. Here we are in 2014 still without a national plan being implemented, although the last gov’t had one approved at least. Personally, I would rather put up with corruption but at least have some plan implemented. It will take 5-10 years to implement a national water management plan, so it should be something that regardless of which party is in power, it cannot be derailed. If any party tampers with it, then this plan will never get finished.

• Like 1

Why don't they use boats,but turn them around facing the sea and push the water back up the river,I'm surprised no one has thought of that good idea.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 2

...the government made a big hoopla about 'water management'.....to the tune of tens of billions of baht....

....they have 'managed'......to render extensive tracts of land 'worthless'...

..that ...combined with the destruction of who knows how many farmers' lives...and farms,,,due to the 'rice management scheme'.....

....this sets the scenario for a 'land grab'.......at 'dirt cheap' prices....and for 'someone' to profit greatly at the expense of Thailand...and the Thai people...

I would think that engineers should develop a <deleted>/canal system along the many rivers to control the flow and save water for dry seasons. There must be a lot of water running into the ocean every day, why not save this. Let it back up until the river at least fills its own river bed and then control the release. Not a difficult concept.

Oh ... I see my mistake, ... Control and Thailand not a thing found in here.

whistling.gif

Actually this is my favorite subject since I have a flood management consulting and systems company based in Thailand, which is one of the very few. We are working currently with the Royal Irrigation Dept. (RID) on development of some projects for everything from coastal ocean erosion to flood prevention and mitigation, including the storage of excess water in monkey cheeks for use during the dry season.

As most people know the budget for some projects is now suspended awaiting a new gov't being formed to be moved forward again. It is too bad that it was tied up with politics, and in spite of some assumptions of the potential for corruption taking place, the fact is even with corruption present, it is better to get these projects done to save lives and property, including many foreign factories located here (due to the FDI which Thailand has successfully attracted), from being destroyed. Is it better to wait for 100% transparency and let people die in the meanwhile and to see businesses closed with 1,000s losing their jobs and hundreds of thousands losing their houses? We can sit here and debate reforms and eliminating corruption for years, but in the meanwhile, let's try to save the rice farmers so they will have water to plant crops, which helps the economy and employs people, and to prevent floods from destroying the economy further.

There was a national flood plan approved in 1997 which was never implemented due to both economic and political reasons, which one could write a book about. Here we are in 2014 still without a national plan being implemented, although the last gov’t had one approved at least. Personally, I would rather put up with corruption but at least have some plan implemented. It will take 5-10 years to implement a national water management plan, so it should be something that regardless of which party is in power, it cannot be derailed. If any party tampers with it, then this plan will never get finished.

Good luck with that. TIT.

Thai at heart

Is it not impossible to manage water though is it? Is it impossible to have underground wells, more reservoirs, dredge rivers and tributaries???

I think its very difficult logistically to guarantee to be able to do both all the irrigation you want and all the flood prevention. Very difficult

Any hope they might cancel songkran..... a large lake will be wasted in Pattaya alone.

Stop trying to be logical,this is Thailand,they would still waste water even if they had to import it to do so. Sonkran the holiday where anybody with any brains stops driving for the duration of the stupidity.

• Like 1

Hopefully this BT2 Trillian mega project will not be another 'rice scam project'. Those involved in corruption busy pocketing as much as they could... wouldn't their consciences prick? Or do they have one? I wonder how much retribution they are going to suffer in their lives. How much punishments await them in hell.

Wonderful they can tell a drought but not what day my water bil we be left in the gate to blow away and no option of paying by bank transfer (i have offerd a deposit or above av ,but none ot his 20 century banking) or a new fangles device called the interwebs all the rage with STR

You can find the train seat and then drive 300km to den chai station 60 days before you want a night kipper to BKK

At the sation 'no have'

or all gone et has led me to use Nok Nok who dares and Air Phasia a sort of marathon pentathlon for chinese grannies with most carry-on elbowing skills.

A quick sluice analysis discovered at C Saen,lots of water rushes down when the benevolent big dragon wants and when it doesnt Zilch.

Have a wet one

Edited by RubbaJohnny

looking at all reports about the El Nino effect this might be a serious drought over a very long period of time. affecting ALL the foodcrops. prices will increase dramatically as this is all over South East Asia, Africa and other parts of the world. I rememberthe last one years ago affected the global markets preety hard and ment a big crash in many peoples livelyhoods. Serious problems for people at the bottom and farmers .

Edited by myluckythai

looking at all reports about the El Nino effect this might be a serious drought over a very long period of time. affecting ALL the foodcrops. prices will increase dramatically as this is all over South East Asia, Africa and other parts of the world. I rememberthe last one years ago affected the global markets preety hard and ment a big crash in many peoples livelyhoods. Serious problems for people at the bottom and farmers .

Why should that effect the farmers? they ought to be cashing in if the markets aren't rigged (which they are)