Most Annoying Bands Of All Time?

I counted the Rolling Stones mentioned at least twice in this thread...and they grow better and better every time they are on tour...how can you guys be so ignorant!

Then again no one dared to mention Eric Clapton, who would be a guitar legend in my books if he had a fatal car accident after releasing Leila...all I ever wanted to do is play my guitar like tee-noo-neenoonee.....FZ :o

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You must know that from my posts in what u listenin to now thread. You knew what you were doin..... :D:D

We all have our own flavours, its why some get on and, some don't. I take music very seriously, prob too serious, I've been a Dj since I was 14 so.

I don't really understand why you think so badly of The Stone Roses, Ian Brown is a far nicer and more approachable person than either of the Bitter Brothers. You can't compare the music though. Ian Brown does have a very aloof, though extremely confident persona but, thats all it is.

On the topic I won't get involved any more, its a good thread but it will deteriorate. There's been some crazy crazy choices already but, I'm sayin nowt more........ :D

redrus

:D 'drus, you know I'd be the first to claim credit for a deliberate wind-up but I swear I didn't realise you were so into the roses. :D:D

I don't think badly of them - I've got self-titled album, second coming and IB's solo stuff - I just think they're over-hyped, didn't really make the consistent impact they're apparent hero status deserves and IB thinks he's too cool to smile. but most importantly that's just IMO. :D

diss oasis if you want to get me back. :D

PS you're not IB in disguise are you? :o

I counted the Rolling Stones mentioned at least twice in this thread...and they grow better and better every time they are on tour...how can you guys be so ignorant!

Then again no one dared to mention Eric Clapton, who would be a guitar legend in my books if he had a fatal car accident after releasing Leila...all I ever wanted to do is play my guitar like tee-noo-neenoonee.....FZ :o

Did you ever hear From The Cradle? That was an awsome album.

agreed! It came as a total surprise for me and shows that he can play well if he wants to.

What p1sses me off about EC is that his fame is based on second class versions of highly underrated JJ Cale originals.

agreed! It came as a total surprise for me and shows that he can play well if he wants to.

What p1sses me off about EC is that his fame is based on second class versions of highly underrated JJ Cale originals.

He has done some lame music, I can't deny that.

Let's take this one step further...

Anyone ever heard of the following bands:

Cry Before Dawn

Aslan

Bands that will never be included in a over-rated/under-rated poll as they don't gain the commercial success they deserve.

True musicianship rarely makes the charts and the term "annoying bands" applies to the drivel that stops genuinely great music from breaking through!

Edited by Backpack_thailand

I havta admit that the thread is good but the responses are for <deleted>...

the big musical heros were because they were righteous in their time, late 70s for Brucie, early 80s for U2 and etc...in the popular culture business it's hard for anyone to remain timeless...even Dylan has his bad moments...

so the question becomes...were they fraudsters in their time, manipulating popular sensibilities to make money or were they 'artistes'? I think about the small bands that were in it for the enjoyment...flash in the pan and nothin' else...its usually when they totterd between commecial greatness and the music that there were problems...

music is music and you know what you like...Beethovens symphonies and Chopin's Nocturnes shall forever remain immortal...popular sensibilities fluctuate (Heraclitus said that the universe is in a state of flux...)

Name one half decent album that they've done since Exile On Main Street?

When they perform live are they playing "hits" like Under Cover Of The Night or Highwire?

I love the Stones. For my money the 2 best albums of all time are Let It Bleed and Beggars Banquet - but they haven't done anything decent for years and years.

Let's take this one step further...

Anyone ever heard of the following bands:

Cry Before Dawn

Aslan

Bands that will never be included in a over-rated/under-rated poll as they don't gain the commercial success they deserve.

True musicianship rarely makes the charts and the term "annoying bands" applies to the drivel that stops genuinely great music from breaking through!

Er yes i do remember 1927 now.

I had sucessfully forgotten them.

I am not sure I real wanted the reminder thank you.

Annoying

Shania Twain (and how!)

Celine Dion

Crazy Frog

Kenny G

Michael Bolton

UB40

Eagles (because of the most massive over-exposure in my lifetime)

Overrated

Marilyn Manson

Frank Sinatra (sometimes good, but not THAT good)

Tom Jones (see Frank Sinatra)

Elvis Presley (see Tom Jones)

Beatles (although I do agree that Rubber Soul and Revolver and half of Sgt Pepper are very good)

Nirvana (see Elvis Presley)

Toto / Rush / Dream Theater (all great musicians, but too slick and non-spontaneous to be enjoyable)

Underrated

Van Morrison

Nick Drake

Mc Solaar

Dread Zeppelin (apparently their lead singer, Tortelvis, has bought himself a few houses here in Thailand)

Alpha Blondy

Ocean Colour Scene

PJ Harvey

Of late I'd have to say Bono,

There should be a division between music and politics, just like between State and Church,

Also the Stones with their relentless Geezer Tours have been working my last good nerve,

but I still love them for no other reason then the endless antics of Keith, whether he's falling out of a coconut tree or off the stage, he's impossible to kill you know and will out-live us all, :o:D

When they perform live are they playing "hits" like Under Cover Of The Night or Highwire?

I love the Stones. For my money the 2 best albums of all time are Let It Bleed and Beggars Banquet - but they haven't done anything decent for years and years.

Goat's Head Soup

Black and Blue

Love You Live

Some Girls

Emotional Rescue

Tattoo You

Got it?

There has been an incredible amount of Eagles bashing in this thread so I will be the lone defender of this solid band. They have the best selling greatest hits album of all time and every song on it is excellent. They cant help it if 3rd world countries across the globe dream of California and Hollywood and this tune makes them feel a part of that. It is a solid song, just overplayed by the masses who dream of going to the california they have heard about from hollywood. sadly these dreamers have fallen for something far more grave; they have been sold that hip hop culture is just sooo cool. do the hip hop dance with that crap playing and put your NY cap on sideways and you are the hippest thing on the planet. Well they fell for that one hook line and sinker. Now what do you hear more overplayed than the eagles? Eminem, hip hop ghetto harlem music. wow so cool to be like them. What I'd give to hear some eagles

There has been an incredible amount of Eagles bashing in this thread so I will be the lone defender of this solid band. They have the best selling greatest hits album of all time and every song on it is excellent. They cant help it if 3rd world countries across the globe dream of California and Hollywood and this tune makes them feel a part of that. It is a solid song, just overplayed by the masses who dream of going to the california they have heard about from hollywood. sadly these dreamers have fallen for something far more grave; they have been sold that hip hop culture is just sooo cool. do the hip hop dance with that crap playing and put your NY cap on sideways and you are the hippest thing on the planet. Well they fell for that one hook line and sinker. Now what do you hear more overplayed than the eagles? Eminem, hip hop ghetto harlem music. wow so cool to be like them. What I'd give to hear some eagles

I agree.

Rap is cr*p.

The Eagles are overplayed, but a darn good band. :o

Goat's Head Soup

Black and Blue

Love You Live

Some Girls

Emotional Rescue

Tattoo You

Got it?

you almost scored...but Emotional Rescue is the Leo Beer of the Stones albums...sit down and listen again.

...and your score is going south.....waaayyyyyyy south!

Overrated

Dream Theater (all great musicians, but too slick and non-spontaneous to be enjoyable)

:o:D:D

I can't believe what I just read!!!!!!!!

...but he's right. I'm a big fan of Dream Theater myself (and saw themn in Bangkok some months ago) but yes, they are not spontaneous as the complaxity of their music makes that almost impossible. Almost, because Zappa showed that it is possible. But he was again from a even higher league of musical craftsmanship...

After reading the first four pages of responses here, I've got to agree with Monochaser most of all. My favorites include CCR, the middle albums of the Beatles, early Springsteen, Guns'n'Roses, Lynrd Skynrd (omigod, Free Bird - I'm listening right now to 'Simple Mind'), almost all early Bob Dylan, half the entire work of Joan Baez, lots of early U2.

Speaking of U2 and "Rattle and Hum," I saw the movie, bought the book, the CD, etc., and it was a documentary of an American tour. Almost all of it is from their earlier work, plus a couple of numbers with B. B. King, for goodness sake. Classic, and hardly "overrated." And Bono's comments like "stealin' it back from Charlie Manson" was almost as good as saying that "Bloody Sunday" was not a rebel song, or spraying grafitti such as "Stop the War." Some of the interviews were poor, although the images of the Sun Records studio, Larry with Elvis' Harley, sitting on the bank of the river - those were great.

I bought an MP3 CD at Pantip Plaza for 100 baht last month: twelve albums by the Eagles. The group may be overplayed and therefore overdone by now, but look at the talent in that lineup!! They wrote and sang some absolute blockbusters that stand the tests of time, for maybe 15 songs. "James Dean" and "Take it to the Limit" and "Already Gone" - it's a long list.

I never understood the Greatful Dead, but I wasn't into smoking dope or whatever the schtick was. OTOH, drugged or not, Axl and Duff and Slash surely knew how to rock.

It's all personal taste, for which there is no accounting. Beautiful music is in the ear of the beholder.

Spot on PB

Simple Minds overrated? Geez, pure genius, one of the best drummer ever, but oh yes they were appreciated by some million people , so it must be crap...pleeease.

Now I only wait someone to say "Police" were crap...

Goat's Head Soup

Black and Blue

Love You Live

Some Girls

Emotional Rescue

Tattoo You

Got it?

I don't agree - you've listed a bunch of albums that have not aged well and are very dated. They pale into comparision with their output in the 60s.

Anyway, by your logic they haven't recorded anything worth talking about in only 25 years!

That makes them over-rated in my book.

Edited by The Dan Sai Kid

The Dead Kennedys - pretty famous in their day but waaay overrated. :D

I liked their song "Too Drunk to F____!" :D

Holiday in Cambodia man! Great song!!!!!

Overrated

Dream Theater (all great musicians, but too slick and non-spontaneous to be enjoyable)

:o:D:D

I can't believe what I just read!!!!!!!!

...but he's right. I'm a big fan of Dream Theater myself (and saw themn in Bangkok some months ago) but yes, they are not spontaneous as the complaxity of their music makes that almost impossible. Almost, because Zappa showed that it is possible. But he was again from a even higher league of musical craftsmanship...

You can't say he is right Raro. It is simply an opinion, not a fact. I love Dream Theater. They might not be spontaneous but I have no trouble enjoying their music one bit. I dare you to find another group nowadays that can keep up with what DT are able to do. Especially the guitarist and drummer. I am a guitar player too, I know what is great playing when I hear it. DT are at the top echelon of talented musicians.

Zappa was also a great musician but he isn't here anymore to please us all.

The Dead Kennedys - pretty famous in their day but waaay overrated. wink.gif

California Uber Alles and the B side were great!!!

I almost forgot - Marilion - they were dreadful - anyone brave enough to admit liking them? :o

I never understood the Greatful Dead, but I wasn't into smoking dope or whatever the schtick was.

I was living in San Francisco and doped to the gills and still didn't get the Dead. :o

I"ve only walked out of two concerts in my life - the Grateful Dead and Fleetwood Mac. The Dead have wonderful art, but very little talent... two drummers, come on. :D I could play at that level in high school. the party outside before that concert was way cooler than the scene inside.

Most over-rated:

Bob Dylan (should work at McDonalds as he can't sing worth a *&^&)

Eagles (over-played and over-rated)

Scorpions (every song sounds the same... bad)

Joe Cocker (tard)

Rolling Stones (almost everything is in 4/4... booooring)

Robbie Williams

Any <deleted>' boy band

Anyone who sings lyrics like shanananana :D