Most Annoying Bands Of All Time?

i dont get the corrs.replace them with 3 ugly birds & what do you have?

lift music.

now prince,theres a genius, nothing compares to you,rasperry berret,purple rain,sign of the times,peach.

even if he is a weird little b@@@@@d.

replace the ugly whiskey tangoes with three other ugly whiskey tangoes and they'd still suck donkeys.

Prince - I recently watched a live concert and I must say that he and his band were amazing. He plays a heck of a lot of great music, but as usual in the music industry, his bubblegum crap makes the airwaves.

No need for anyone to come back flaming Prince if you're talking about his pop stuff... it sucks... thankuverymahk.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Annoying and Overrated

Hit Man and Her - brings down nothern English music to drunken jeer music!

Robbie williams - Too fcking lame

Bewitched - No soul

Hearsay - Plastic fantastic manufactured band.

Gary Glitter - Twangy and hes a devo freak.

Rave music

Good tunes from the likes of....

Kaiser Chiefs

Duran Duran

Pet Shop Boys

Powerballads

etc etc

Basically anything from before music became lame, twangy, and PC so with a few exceptions 1990s onwards!

Spot on PB

Simple Minds overrated? Geez, pure genius, one of the best drummer ever, but oh yes they were appreciated by some million people , so it must be crap...pleeease.

Now I only wait someone to say "Police" were crap...

"one of the best drummers ever"??? Are you joking? Are you a drummer? Are you talking about Mike Ogletree or Mel Gaynor? It doesn't really matter. Neither of them would qualify to polish the cymbals for Dave Weckl, Steve Gadd, Terri Bozzio or Vinnie Colaiuta.

The Police did rock. Stewart Copeland, though not one of the most dazzling drummer the world has ever seen, did his own thing and his own thing was unique and very musical. Since the stint in The Police, he's gotten better at writing music. He's most definitely a mega talent.

BTW, just because millions of people like a band, it doesn't mean that they are talented. The music industry TELLS YOU what is good. The most talented muscians usually are over-shadowed by pricks with a certain 'look'. Millions of people like Britney Spears! I rest my case. :o

Spot on PB

Simple Minds overrated? Geez, pure genius, one of the best drummer ever, but oh yes they were appreciated by some million people , so it must be crap...pleeease.

Now I only wait someone to say "Police" were crap...

"one of the best drummers ever"??? Are you joking? Are you a drummer? Are you talking about Mike Ogletree or Mel Gaynor? It doesn't really matter. Neither of them would qualify to polish the cymbals for Dave Weckl, Steve Gadd, Terri Bozzio or Vinnie Colaiuta.

The Police did rock. Stewart Copeland, though not one of the most dazzling drummer the world has ever seen, did his own thing and his own thing was unique and very musical. Since the stint in The Police, he's gotten better at writing music. He's most definitely a mega talent.

BTW, just because millions of people like a band, it doesn't mean that they are talented. The music industry TELLS YOU what is good. The most talented muscians usually are over-shadowed by pricks with a certain 'look'. Millions of people like Britney Spears! I rest my case. :D

Look I'm not the only one who thinks he is a great drummer (M. Gaynor), obviously we are talking about someone who played a genre not exactly suited to highlite the skill of a drummer.

Anyway I witnessed a workshop in Milan and I think he is amazing.

I could write a list of 100 great drummers, and we could discuss to death their ranking, just silly hehe.

No I'm not a drummer, I'm a piano/Kboard player, does that mean I can't judge a good drummer?

Well at least we agree about S.Copeland .. a mega talent :o

? and the Mysterians (Pushin' Too Hard) earns the title as one of the most annoying bands ever.

A few other honorable mentions for musical irritation or annoyance:

- Freddie and the Dreamers (Do The Freddie)

- Troggs

- Cowsills

- 1950s-60s Roller Rink Music

- Most Disco music

- Anything Muzak (elevators & dept. Stores)

- Lawrence Welk

- Yodeling Cowboy songs

- Most Country & Western

- Most Bluegrass

- Nancy Sinatra (These Boots Were Made For Walkin')

- Joni Mitchell

- The music played at Muai Thai matches

- KC and the Sunshine Band (Shake Your Booty)

- Lou Christy (Two Faces Have I)

- Jimmy Gilmer & the Fireballs (Sugar Shack)

- Haley Mills

- Mark Dinning (Teen Angel)

Coldplay

Spice Girls

N'Sync

Backstreet Boys

Tears For Fears

The Sex Pistols (over-rated junkies)

Britney Spears

Christina Aguilera

George Michael

Celine Dion

Ronan Keating

Elton John

Phil Collins

I think I could have a lot much more but they're too borring to think about it.

Ok, no offense, but who puts:

Radiohead

Red Hot Chilli Peppers

U2

Aerosmith

or

Scorpions

on the list, have no taste for music, again, NO OFFENSE.

Music is a very personal thing and saying people have no taste is a bit childish. Your choices here of knocking Coldplay and then highlighting the likes of U2 and Aerosmith, which, are both not my cup of tea, although they both have made some great tunes, may bemuse others. Coldplay have churned out some superb and unique music.

I won't poo poo any band as every one of them have a great tune in them and I like a lot of bands in all genres, but for me personally, Pink Floyd will always be the icing on the cake. :o

Coldplay

Spice Girls

N'Sync

Backstreet Boys

Tears For Fears

Britney Spears

Christina Aguilera

George Michael

Celine Dion

Ronan Keating

Elton John

Phil Collins

Radiohead

Red Hot Chilli Peppers

U2

Aerosmith

or

Scorpions

Music is a very personal thing and saying people have no taste is a bit childish. Your choices here of knocking Coldplay and then highlighting the likes of U2 and Aerosmith, which, are both not my cup of tea, although they both have made some great tunes, may bemuse others. Coldplay have churned out some superb and unique music.

I won't poo poo any band as every one of them have a great tune in them and I like a lot of bands in all genres, but for me personally, Pink Floyd will always be the icing on the cake. :D

As they will always be the annoying brown **** on my shoe.............. :o

redrus

Coldplay

Spice Girls

N'Sync

Backstreet Boys

Tears For Fears

Britney Spears

Christina Aguilera

George Michael

Celine Dion

Ronan Keating

Elton John

Phil Collins

Radiohead

Red Hot Chilli Peppers

U2

Aerosmith

or

Scorpions

I won't poo poo any band as every one of them have a great tune in them and I like a lot of bands in all genres, but for me personally, Pink Floyd will always be the icing on the cake. :D

As they will always be the annoying brown **** on my shoe.............. :D

redrus

:o

'kin waste a space. Let me guess, 16 years old going on 12?

Talkin' of <deleted>, how did that <deleted> team of yours do last season? :D

The Dead Kennedys - pretty famous in their day but waaay overrated. :D

I liked their song "Too Drunk to F____!" :D

Holiday in Cambodia man! Great song!!!!!

Overrated

Frank Sinatra (sometimes good, but not THAT good)

Dream Theater (all great musicians, but too slick and non-spontaneous to be enjoyable)

:o:D:D

I can't believe what I just read!!!!!!!!

...but he's right. I'm a big fan of Dream Theater myself (and saw themn in Bangkok some months ago) but yes, they are not spontaneous as the complaxity of their music makes that almost impossible. Almost, because Zappa showed that it is possible. But he was again from a even higher league of musical craftsmanship...

You can't say he is right Raro. It is simply an opinion, not a fact. I love Dream Theater. They might not be spontaneous but I have no trouble enjoying their music one bit. I dare you to find another group nowadays that can keep up with what DT are able to do. Especially the guitarist and drummer. I am a guitar player too, I know what is great playing when I hear it. DT are at the top echelon of talented musicians.

Zappa was also a great musician but he isn't here anymore to please us all.

re-read my post...we do all three of us agree that DT are great musicians, though not very spontaneous. Meadish took this as a reason to put DT in the annoying department, you and me rather think that they are also great band dispite their unsponanity.. (sp?) :D

Coldplay

Spice Girls

N'Sync

Backstreet Boys

Tears For Fears

Britney Spears

Christina Aguilera

George Michael

Celine Dion

Ronan Keating

Elton John

Phil Collins

Radiohead

Red Hot Chilli Peppers

U2

Aerosmith

or

Scorpions

redrus

'kin waste a space. Let me guess, 16 years old going on 12? I question your age with a comment like that........!

Talkin' of <deleted>, how did that <deleted> team of yours do last season? :DNot bad, all thing s considered.......!

So, I don't like Pink Floyd. My musical tastes are varied enough without dirge like that and, you can take that miserable <deleted> Leonard Cohen too................ :D:D

redrus

Actually I separated "overrated" from "annoying", and DT were under overrated. I always hear musicians rave about how good they are, and I always have the same thing to say - YES, they are fantastic musicians... in terms of technique. But they lack the spontaneity required to really make me enjoy their music.

For rock, give me Hendrix, Appetite for Destruction by Guns N' Roses, AC/DC, Black Crowes (Southern Harmony...), Black Sabbath any day.

And just as raro said - Frank Zappa (I actually thought about mentioning Zappa as a contrast to DT myself in that first post, as he is the best example of a musician with an enormous amount of intelligence and creativity balanced with outstanding musical virtuosity.) The problem with the likes of DT for me is that they get a bit.... boring.

Overrated

Frank Sinatra (sometimes good, but not THAT good)

Dream Theater (all great musicians, but too slick and non-spontaneous to be enjoyable)

:o:D:D

re-read my post...we do all three of us agree that DT are great musicians, though not very spontaneous. Meadish took this as a reason to put DT in the annoying department, you and me rather think that they are also great band dispite their unsponanity.. (sp?) :D

What I was replying to was Meadish said DT are not spontaneous enough for him to enjoy. IMO, their music is very well enjoyable, with or without the spontaneinty (sp?) That is what I was saying. We just have differing opinions on DT but no one can doubt their talents and ability.

So, I don't like Pink Floyd. My musical tastes are varied enough without dirge like that and, you can take that miserable <deleted> Leonard Cohen too................ bah.gif laugh.gif

Underated - Leonard Cohen - he is incredible!!

Floyd, were great when wasted but over-rated a bit.

Howard something with the spiky blonde hair in the 80s - he was very annoying as were Wham, especially the untalented one.

As a guitarist myself I can say that it takes more talent to craft and perform the music and songs of a band such as the Black Crowes than the technically perfect dirge of the likes of Satriani/Dream Theatre/Rage against the machine.

It's like comparison between a body builder or a Kung-<deleted> master.

But the choice of which band you prefer to listen to is up to you bros....

overated=bon jovi

has theyre music or hairstyles changed that much over the years?

underated=the smiths

(eek!, im bracing myself for the response),good old morrisey!

you may laugh,but i just think johnny marr was/is, a bit of a break from the norm,& his guitar playing is distinctive.

"this charrrrming man",ahhhh i remember it well.

yes,the black crowes,good stuff,a sort of an up to date rolling stones.

? and the Mysterians (Pushin' Too Hard) earns the title as one of the most annoying bands ever.

- Troggs

-...(snip)

- Haley Mills

Omigod, I can't believe Mark Dinning got on this list. I met his sister Jean, who wrote that song, in 1958, when she and I were both part-time radio disk jockeys. Later, I heard how she came to write "Teen Angel." The term "juvenile delinquent" was new, and she heard somebody say, "There are some juvenile delinquents, but there are also some teen angels." She took the title and wrote one of the most maudlin pop songs, and got her brother to record it.

One-hit wonders aren't underrated. They don't even rate. :o

- Troggs

- Cowsills

- 1950s-60s Roller Rink Music

- Most Disco music

- Anything Muzak (elevators & dept. Stores)

- Lawrence Welk

- Yodeling Cowboy songs

- Most Country & Western

- Most Bluegrass

- Nancy Sinatra (These Boots Were Made For Walkin')

- Joni Mitchell

- The music played at Muai Thai matches

- KC and the Sunshine Band (Shake Your Booty)

- Lou Christy (Two Faces Have I)

- Jimmy Gilmer & the Fireballs (Sugar Shack)

- Haley Mills

I always thought 96 Tears by ? and the Mysterians to be OK...dey bad mofos from East LA an' doan let them hear dat you doan like their music...

I always dreamed about Joni Mitchell singing me a lullaby when naked in bed together...

my grandmother liked Laurence Welk...you tryin' to tell me dat you doan' like my gran???

if you doan' like Lou Christie and his falsetto then you must not like Frankie Valli an' the Four Seasons as well...

Doc Watson was a fine bluegrass guitar picker...are you sayin' that you prejudiced against blind folks???

look out, man or me an' some others are gonna get very annoyed wid you...

You must know that from my posts in what u listenin to now thread. You knew what you were doin.....

We all have our own flavours, its why some get on and, some don't. I take music very seriously, prob too serious, I've been a Dj since I was 14 so.

I don't really understand why you think so badly of The Stone Roses, Ian Brown is a far nicer and more approachable person than either of the Bitter Brothers. You can't compare the music though. Ian Brown does have a very aloof, though extremely confident persona but, thats all it is.

On the topic I won't get involved any more, its a good thread but it will deteriorate. There's been some crazy crazy choices already but, I'm sayin nowt more........

redrus

:D 'drus, you know I'd be the first to claim credit for a deliberate wind-up but I swear I didn't realise you were so into the roses. :D:D

I don't think badly of them - I've got self-titled album, second coming and IB's solo stuff - I just think they're over-hyped, didn't really make the consistent impact they're apparent hero status deserves and IB thinks he's too cool to smile. but most importantly that's just IMO. :D

diss oasis if you want to get me back. :D

PS you're not IB in disguise are you? :o

Def not IB in disguise fella :D I'm about 2ft taller.

Been to see IB twice in the last year, at Blackpool and The MEN with the latter being amazing. I suppose the Roses were just the thing back then. They had far more mystery and they were so much cooler than Oasis are, I won't slag them cos I like them but The Roses whole thing, Squire's guitar, Mani's bass and Reni was a top drummer, if not the most gifted. As for the Original Monkey Man, no more need be said.... :D

All of them had they're own persona, that stood out. Oasis do only tend to ever have had two members.

You mention Richard Ashcroft aswell, now I like him. I think he's still finding his feet in the solo world. The Verve were always going to be a big thing to follow, even for the lead singer of that band.

Mani has now gone on to find more fame and fortune with Primal Scream as bassist, still he manages to convey, that inimitable Manc style/agression and cheek/arrogance, the same that Ashcroft, Liam, Noel, and of-coarse Ian Brown have. Watch interviews though mate, besides Mani I'd wager that IB smiles more than others mentioned here, and others besides.

If you think they're over hyped though, maybe you're listening to too much of it. :D:D

redrus

Edited by redrus

I always thought 96 Tears by ? and the Mysterians to be OK...dey bad mofos from East LA an' doan let them hear dat you doan like their music...

I always dreamed about Joni Mitchell singing me a lullaby when naked in bed together...

my grandmother liked Laurence Welk...you tryin' to tell me dat you doan' like my gran???

if you doan' like Lou Christie and his falsetto then you must not like Frankie Valli an' the Four Seasons as well...

Doc Watson was a fine bluegrass guitar picker...are you sayin' that you prejudiced against blind folks???

look out, man or me an' some others are gonna get very annoyed wid you...

Bad mo-fos or not, I didn't like 96 Tears either. Last I've seen from their website, they don't seem to be doing too much these days, apart from playing in church basements. Probably the main reason why their music grates my nerves stems from trying to get intimate with a well-stacked girl whose idea of "sexy music" was ? and the Mysterians played loud enough to damage to shatter every ear and building within a 3 mile radius. I think that was the ONLY album she owned. Needless to say, I never bothered with her after that.

As for Joni Mitchell, she wasn't bad looking, and she was quite popular with a lot of the wannabe back-to-nature folks. Didn't she do the "Parking Lot" song? Anyway, have fun getting naked with her while she lullabys you with songs about butterflies, rainbows and daisys. Of course, these days, she's old enough to BE a grandmother. But if you're into saggies and wrinkles... Well, no one stays young forever.

Way back when, everybody's granny liked Lawrence Welk. There wasn't much else available in those days. I can't think of anything more exciting than when he'd have Marlin Floyd (or whatever his name was) come out do a knee-slapping number on the accordian. Isn't dat a-nice. And a-vun, and a-two, an a...

Frankie Valli's falsetto with the Four Seasons was a lot smoother sounding, plus he had the harmonies of the other guys. Lou Christy's grating falsetto was more like listening to a piece of broken chalk screeching across a blackboard.

Bluegrass. I said MOST, not all. Nothing wrong with entertainers that are blind. Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder are two great examples. Still, whenever I hear bluegrass, I'm reminded of the dueling banjos from the movie, "Deliverance". "Squeal like a pig, boy!"

As a guitarist myself I can say that it takes more talent to craft and perform the music and songs of a band such as the Black Crowes than the technically perfect dirge of the likes of Satriani/Dream Theatre/Rage against the machine.

I am a guitarist too Chon and I feel completely opposite to this. I can make some Black Crowes music a whole lot easier than some DT type stuff. But thats just me and how I feel. Everyone could be different. :D

Omigod, I can't believe Mark Dinning got on this list. I met his sister Jean, who wrote that song, in 1958, when she and I were both part-time radio disk jockeys. Later, I heard how she came to write "Teen Angel." The term "juvenile delinquent" was new, and she heard somebody say, "There are some juvenile delinquents, but there are also some teen angels." She took the title and wrote one of the most maudlin pop songs, and got her brother to record it.

One-hit wonders aren't underrated. They don't even rate. :o

Cool! Takes you back for a blast from the past with a moldy oldie, eh? Thankfully, the “Teen Angel” tale, as you stated, became nothing more than a sappy one-hit wonder. I'm not sure anyone could've handled any more at the time. Hearing radio stations play it endlessly got pretty irritating.

I think sister Jean must've left out part of the story of the song though. As I recall, it was about a guy who was pining over a girl after she was killed by an oncoming train. The car stalls on the tracks, she and her boyfriend got out to safety well in time, but she goes back to try to find his class ring. HONK! HONK! CRASH! Not a bright move on her part. Evidently, whoever gathered what was left of her, discovered she was holding the ring in her hand. Ahhh, a supreme act demonstrating true love, but certainly not the brightest decision on her part though, considering that it meant the end of any future for the relationship. Regardless, the song was rather morbid for the broadcast airways back then.

Sounds like someone comparing juvenile delinquents vs. teen angels was basing that idea from having seen too many of the B movies of the day that featured hot rods, motorcycles, black leather jackets with a zillion zippers, rebellious youths and gangs, reform schools and switchblade knives. Hollywood has a way of making things seem larger than life.

:D

Coldplay

Spice Girls

N'Sync

Backstreet Boys

Tears For Fears

Britney Spears

Christina Aguilera

George Michael

Celine Dion

Ronan Keating

Elton John

Phil Collins

Radiohead

Red Hot Chilli Peppers

U2

Aerosmith

or

Scorpions

redrus

'kin waste a space. Let me guess, 16 years old going on 12? I question your age with a comment like that........!

Talkin' of <deleted>, how did that <deleted> team of yours do last season? :DNot bad, all thing s considered.......!

So, I don't like Pink Floyd. My musical tastes are varied enough without dirge like that and, you can take that miserable <deleted> Leonard Cohen too................ :D:D

redrus

You berate The Floyd and yet laud swill merchants like the Stone Roses?! :D :D

I'm laughing my tits off but somehow can't help feeling sorry for your lack of musical awareness, which goes against my first post but, hey, who gives a smeg. Maybe you'll see the light some day when you get out of diapers :D

Coldplay

Spice Girls

N'Sync

Backstreet Boys

Tears For Fears

Britney Spears

Christina Aguilera

George Michael

Celine Dion

Ronan Keating

Elton John

Phil Collins

Radiohead

Red Hot Chilli Peppers

U2

Aerosmith

or

Scorpions

redrus

redrus

You berate The Floyd and yet laud swill merchants like the Stone Roses?! :D :D

I'm laughing my tits off but somehow can't help feeling sorry for your lack of musical awareness, which goes against my first post but, hey, who gives a smeg. Maybe you'll see the light some day when you get out of diapers :D

Thankyou for your most humble and gracious of replies and, for allowing, on this most special of days, for me to have my own opinion.

Pink Floyd suck cock and you're feeding the fire.

I have many friends who love Floyd and have for many years tried to change my mind, it won't happen.

Its dope smoking, Heroin induced dirge and, no matter how thoughtful your replies, as to my age and undwear preferences, I will not like it. I like music to be upbeat, Motown, Northern Soul, am I allowed to say that without upsettin you though Jack.!

redrus

I am a guitarist too Chon and I feel completely opposite to this. I can make some Black Crowes music a whole lot easier than some DT type stuff. But thats just me and how I feel. Everyone could be different. :D

Absolutely Trip, it is whatever floats your boat as they say.

I prefer the song as a whole as opposed to technical workouts, I believe that it is possible to learn the style of a Petrucci or a Satriani, as long you have the basic talent, whereas the art of songwriting is something you have to be born with. Copying songs and styles can be easy enough , I just don't feel the music of DT/RATM/Vai/Satriani/Eric Johnson etc to be complete songs, technically excellent though and kudos to them.

Years ago at the London College of Music , I was always at loggerheads with an instructor. He argues that Jimmy Page was not very good in comparison with Steve Vai , I argued that it depended on your viewpoint. Vai could never write the stuff that Zeppelin played and Page would have a heart attack vice versa. But who will be remembered in 50 years time?

It is easy enough to learn both guys licks , but for me the genius is to be found in the erratic flawed emotive riffs of Page as opposed to the undoubtably technically superior, yet cold shredding of Vai.

ps Russ and Jack , I like The Stone Roses and Pink Floyd , both opposite ends of the Rock Scale.

Gilmour is a genius and John Squire's Page-esque riffs were cool also.

Zep rules though.....

Edited by chonabot

Absolutely Trip, it is whatever floats your boat as they say.

I prefer the song as a whole as opposed to technical workouts, I believe that it is possible to learn the style of a Petrucci or a Satriani, as long you have the basic talent, whereas the art of songwriting is something you have to be born with. Copying songs and styles can be easy enough , I just don't feel the music of DT/RATM/Vai/Satriani/Eric Johnson etc to be complete songs, technically excellent though and kudos to them.

Years ago at the London College of Music , I was always at loggerheads with an instructor. He argues that Jimmy Page was not very good in comparison with Steve Vai , I argued that it depended on your viewpoint. Vai could never write the stuff that Zeppelin played and Page would have a heart attack vice versa. But who will be remembered in 50 years time?

It is easy enough to learn both guys licks , but for me the genius is to be found in the erratic flawed emotive riffs of Page as opposed to the undoubtably technically superior, yet cold shredding of Vai.

ps Russ and Jack , I like The Stone Roses and Pink Floyd , both opposite ends of the Rock Scale.

Gilmour is a genius and John Squire's Page-esque riffs were cool also.

Zep rules though.....

I agree 100% to the above, but why Jimmy Page? He's in the heavily overrated department in my books and I know I will get some flaming now... I love LZ for the drummer, but not for JP and for sure not for the singer. Cannot stand him, actually. He always spoiled any upcoming interest into LZ's music.

As for Steve Vai, he has big credits with me for being a former member of the Frank Zappa band (and the youngest ever, he joined at the age of 18...) and playing with David Lee Roth on two outstanding albums. Then again, I saw a recent video of him and I though to myself....I could do that. Most of the "playing" was his high-end effect board and the rest cheap show effects...yes he is fast, yes he is 100% accurate but I enjoy Keith Richards much more.