TRT Targeted For Dissolution

Jai Dee

TRT tees up raft of constitution-change proposals

The Thai Rak Thai Party will propose four changes at Tuesday's meeting with the prime minister and major political parties to discuss the draft constitution.

The party first disagrees with an appointed Senate as it reflects a condescending view of the electorate as not sound of mind enough to elect senators.

The party also opposes Article 299, which provides a de-facto amnesty to the military junta that staged the September coup.

The party is against the undermining of politicians' authority, citing article 173, which states that ministers who are MPs cannot vote for a prime minister facing a censure motion.

Also Articles 257 and 259 bar politicians from interfering in the work of bureaucrats, which the party argued would make it difficult for administrations to implement their policies.

Their last reservation has to do with the fear of a return of bureaucratic rule in government, with too much power handed to officials and the courts, which would probably attract political interference.

Acting deputy party leader Pongthep Thepkanjana said acting party leader Chaturon Chaisang would present the party's position, which had come out of yesterday's meeting on the issue.

Meanwhile, Justice Minister Charnchai Likhitjittha said it was best not to drag judges into politics as proposed in Article 68, which requires that they play a role as part of a special council to help solve a political crisis.

Charnchai said it was unlikely that a situation like last year would recur and anyhow judges should contribute to solving a political crisis on an ad-hoc and informal basis.

He urged the public, however, to wait and see the final draft before deciding whether to accept or reject the junta-sponsored charter.

A group of people with physical disabilities also met and threatened to stage a mass protest of 4,000 on May 22 if the draft charter did not guarantee equal rights and access to facilities for the disabled.

They met in Nong Khai to vet Article 53, which they deemed inadequate. They want the word "welfare" to be used instead of "dole" ("songkhro").

They said they had always been let down by past charters and hoped that the new one would be different.

Source: The Nation

Nothing unexpected here, The TRT clearly does not want laws that will keep them from their old games in the future.

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would think that any document of this size and importance will normally go few a few rewrites. Although I have not read it I would wager a guess that it is 80% sound and the remaining areas of dispute are in the area of anti corruption teeth, get out of jail free, and the insured division of power.

The people that are complaining would be the ones making or taking more money that they should be. The average Thai would be somewhat oblivious to the parts in question. That is just a guess but I would say I am not far off base.

Thai Rak Thai headquarters inaugurated

Most Thai Rak Thai executives were absent Monday while acting party leader Chaturon Chaisang inaugurated the new party headquarters on Rama III Road.

In the presence of 100 party members, Chaturon marked the relocation of his party at the auspicious time of 9.09 am by paying respect to a Brama statue, the guardian spirit of the party's building.

Chaturon led the low-key ceremony as party bigwigs, like Sudarat Keyuraphan, Pongthep Thepkanchana, Yaowapha Wongsawat and Prommin Lersuridej, were a no-show.

"We are designating the new headquarters to fight the next general election," he said after unveiling the party's name atop the building.

He said the relocation from New Phetchaburi Road was prompted by financial consideration after ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra had decided to quit his party leadership.

He voiced optimism that he could build the party into a political institution in spite of Thaksin's retirement.

Under his leadership, the party has adopted the new slogan "Reconciliation, Democracy and Economic Revitalisation" to guide the electoral campaign, he said.

Source: The Nation - 7 April 2007

UPDATE

TRT cuts costs with smaller HQ

One security guard, a receptionist, and 10 other staff are running the temporary offices of the downsized Thai Rak Thai Party.

Caretaker leader Chaturon Chaisang moved the party to its new headquarters on Rama III last month, citing cost cutting.

It is the fourth home for the nine-year-old party. It started out in a Rajvithi building before moving to Shinawatra Tower on Vibhavadi-Rangsit, then to the IFCT building on New Phetchaburi and it is occupying the first floor of the Navasorn.

The party refused to reveal the cost but said it was saving a considerable amount after moving from its previous premises.

The headquarters are not luxurious when compared with its IFCT offices owned by Khunying Pojaman Shinawatra, wife of former prime minister Thaksin, who bought the building for Bt800 million.

The new space has been divided into a reception area, a newsroom, and offices for party staff.

There are three computers, a fax machine and one television in the newsroom. The press area at the IFCT building had five computers, five televisions and a snack bar.

Chaturon denied the change of location had anything to do with geomancy, or feng shui. He said the new space was "bright and airy".

However, the move was apparently prompted by superstition. In an earlier interview with The Nation, Chaturon said the new offices were "in a good location because the building is near the Chao Phya".

Chaturon said the party would operate without financing from former leader Thaksin. He said the current executives were now funding its activities.

According to Election Commission data released on Friday, the Thai Rak Thai has received about Bt3 million in donations in the past two months, the most by any political party.

- The Nation

Chaturon furiously defends TRT as decision day looms

Acting Thai Rak Thai leader Chaturon Chaisang admits that he cannot see his future further than May 30, the "Judgement Day" when the Constitution Tribunal delivers its verdict on the case of alleged electoral fraud by the party that could lead to its dissolution.

"The verdict could go either way. We survive or fall," he said in an interview with The Nation. "I respect the tribunal judges, no matter the outcome is."

Chaturon said it was certain that if the Thai Rak Thai were dissolved, it would cease to function. Nobody would launch any protest movement under its name, he said.

The party's executives are not spending their time discussing the future. "We only talk about how to carry out our commitments to the people and maintain our ideology when we have to abide by obligations [under the new rulers]," he said.

Thai Rak Thai is accused of hiring small parties to field candidates in the April 2 poll last year and of abetting small parties in amending their membership registrations in the Election Commission's database.

A guilty verdict would mean not only dissolution of Thai Rak Thai but also, under a new rule introduced by the military junta shortly after it ousted former premier Thaksin Shinawatra

last September, a ban on all 119 party executives at the time of the incident from taking any political post for five years. Chaturon is one of those who might be affected. :o

"We [Thai Rak Thai] are treated badly," Chaturon said. :D

Though Thai Rak Thai's main rival, the Democrat Party, and three smaller parties also face charges of election fraud and the prospect of dissolution, several military leaders and influential government figures have attacked only Thai Rak Thai by saying it would surely be dissolved.

"Who do they think they are?" Chaturon said, raising his voice. "They have no right to take Thai Rak Thai off the political field because we haven't done anything wrong. Only the tribunal will decide if Thai Rak Thai did any wrongdoing."

Some Thai Rak Thai executives have vowed to petition His Majesty the King if the party is dissolved. :D They claim the case was based on the 1997 Constitution and, since that charter was annulled following the September 19 coup, it should no longer be valid.

Chaturon insisted that he personally would not launch a petition, but said the party's other executives had the right to ask for justice.

"I have no exact plan of where or what I should be if I have to stay away from mainstream politics for five years," he said. However, he insisted he would carry on his work in the political field, no matter what his role would be.

Chaturon, 51, served as deputy prime minister, PM's Office minister and education minister during Thaksin's five and a half years in power. He became Thai Rak Thai's caretaker leader shortly after Thaksin resigned as party leader in early October last year while living in self-imposed exile in London. This led to the collapse of its 119-member executive board and a realignment of members. However, former executives still face a five-year ban from political posts if the party is dissolved.

Amid mounting tension between pro- and anti-Thaksin camps, Chaturon appealed to all sides to compromise to make a general election possible by the end of the year, which he believes will restore democratic rule. Otherwise, the situation could deteriorate to the extent that bloodshed becomes imminent, he said.

The current situation has raised concerns about the future of Thai democracy, he said.

Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont faces growing pressure from the junta and Thaksin's bitter enemy, the People's Alliance for Democracy, to resign due to his plunging popularity and failure to run the country. They will no longer stand by until Surayud steps down after the December election as planned.

Moreover, some military leaders are rumoured to be planning a new coup to topple the Council for National Security (CNS), as the junta calls itself, under Army chief General Sonthi Boonyaratglin.

"The fall of Surayud or a fresh coup will only be a bad sign for the country," Chaturon warned. If Surayud is sacked, his successor will not do any better under CNS control, he said.

If the CNS is toppled, "what could the people expect from a new military junta?" he said. Another military intervention would only worsen the crisis. It would reflect a Thai political culture in which peaceful means had no room to breathe, he said.

To reduce tensions and close the door on possible violence, Chaturon asked the CNS and its constitution drafters to be open-minded about changes. These include the removal of some controversial clauses in the charter draft suspected of paving the way for extended military rule, he said.

Kornchanok Raksaseri,

Sucheera Pinijparakarn,

Weerayut Chokchaimadon

The Nation

The Nation's Political Desk:

Is it possible that a group of Thai Rak Thai supporters will rally at the Office of the Constitution Tribunal to pressure the Tribunal members?

Acting Thai Rak Thai leader Chaturon Chaisang:

If we know of anyone who is going to rally, we will ask them not to. If they are members of the party, we will prohibit it. If they are not members of the party any more, we will beg them not to rally. If they are already rallying, I will ask them to go home. So, there hasn't been a plan for such a rally and we will prevent it.

I am confident there won't be any mobs on May 30. If there is a mob, it will not be Thai Rak Thai's. If they say they are well-wishers, we will tell them Thai Rak Thai doesn't want them to demonstrate.

There won't be any Thai Rak Thai rally to pressure the Tribunal before or on the day of the verdict. Whether many or few people go to the Office of the Constitution Tribunal doesn't matter. We will ask our supporters not to go there.

The Nation's Political Desk:

Former MP Chamlong Krutkhuntod said he would petition His Majesty the King if the Thai Rak Thai were dissolved, saying it is like an execution of a political party. Do you agree with the idea?

Acting Thai Rak Thai leader Chaturon Chaisang:

It is a personal decision. The Thai Rak Thai will do nothing about the ruling in this case. If the party is not dissolved, there's no need to petition. If the party is dissolved, there is no Thai Rak Thai as a party any more. So there won't be any movement in the name of the party. However, we haven't discussed this issue. Our discussions have been about how to continue working and maintaining our ideology together.

I will not petition. No matter if the party's former executives' political rights are suspended or not, I will not petition as I will take it as politics. I will continue my political work in another status.

- The Nation

Edited by sriracha john

Very honestly I have not seen this type of whining and crying sense I saw a teenage school bully get what was coming to him from the school and the police.

I had forgot or not known about the change in the law that said whoever was in at the time of the crime gets the 5 year holiday. I know I had posted on it before the coup and suggested it. I am glad to see some common sense prevails

Very honestly I have not seen this type of whining and crying sense I saw a teenage school bully get what was coming to him from the school and the police.

I had forgot or not known about the change in the law that said whoever was in at the time of the crime gets the 5 year holiday. I know I had posted on it before the coup and suggested it. I am glad to see some common sense prevails

Just where in that post was the 'whining and crying' that you claim to be able to see?

Just where in that post was the 'whining and crying' that you claim to be able to see?

Some Thai Rak Thai executives have vowed to petition His Majesty the King if the party is dissolved.

Running to HRH to make it all go away.

We [Thai Rak Thai] are treated badly," Chaturon said.

“Who do they think they are?" Chaturon said, raising his voice. "They have no right to take Thai Rak Thai off the political field because we haven't done anything wrong. Only the tribunal will decide if Thai Rak Thai did any wrongdoing.”

Seems they can dish it out...

Some Thai Rak Thai executives have vowed to petition His Majesty the King if the party is dissolved.

Running to HRH to make it all go away.

We [Thai Rak Thai] are treated badly," Chaturon said.

“Who do they think they are?" Chaturon said, raising his voice. "They have no right to take Thai Rak Thai off the political field because we haven't done anything wrong. Only the tribunal will decide if Thai Rak Thai did any wrongdoing.”

Seems they can dish it out...

If it was a party you supported, and they were, as the reporter states, being prejudged by the military and government which controls the country= would you also regard their demands for fair treatement as 'whining'?

Or should fairness only be accorded to the people we favor?

If it was a party you supported, and they were, as the reporter states, being prejudged by the military and government which controls the country= would you also regard their demands for fair treatement as 'whining'?

Or should fairness only be accorded to the people we favor?

If either party is dissolved by the constitutional tribunal I would have thought some 'whining' was certainly in order...

First of all, dissolution of a party under the 1997 constitution should only happen if the party has attempted to destroy the government - hardly the case given the offenses against TRT and other parties (which pale into insignificance given their usual political shenanigans).

To quote one of the drafters of the 1997 constitution...

"According to the Political Party Act, the cause for party dissolution is conduct to topple democracy with a constitutional monarchy. In my opinion, it could only be staging a coup or mobilising people for a political revolution. What both parties did was none of these," said Kanin Boonsuwan, a drafter of the now defunct 1997 constitution.

(Note here that the only 'party' guilty of this offense... is the military junta itself)

Secondly, if, in addition, party executives are banned from politics for 5 years this will be entirely down to laws introduced by this military junta - which only has the the political legitimacy of the point of a gun...

Ok lets take a quick comparison. Both the Democratic party and the TRT party are in exactly the same situation. One has been behaving and hardly at all in the news except for things you may expect like input on the new constitution. The other has been making noise, kicking up a fuss, demonstrating arrogance, disobeying the rules, and perhaps even dabbling in explosives.

OH AND THAT IS JUST 2007!!!!!

One party is demonstration maturity, while the other is..... well you decide.

So which of the above would you want running the country.

Edited by John K

Ok lets take a quick comparison. Both the Democratic party and the TRT party are in exactly the same situation. One has been behaving and hardly at all in the news except for things you may expect like input on the new constitution. The other has been making noise, kicking up a fuss, demonstrating arrogance, disobeying the rules, and perhaps even dabbling in explosives.

The question is not which one should be running the country- the question is which one should be entitled to due process of law without political interference by either the army or the government.

Edited by blaze

The question is not which one should be running the country- the question is which one should be entitled to due process of law without political interference by either the army or the government.

I only see the government expressing their opinion and prediction, even he does not say government is doing anything behind the scenes. If the government is only attacking the TRT, then clearly their behavior could be the reason. The TRT are bringing it on themselves. I doubt they would go so far as to out and out accuse a person by name or risk another reason to go to court.

I only see the government expressing their opinion and prediction, even he does not say government is doing anything behind the scenes. If the government is only attacking the TRT, then clearly their behavior could be the reason. The TRT are bringing it on themselves. I doubt they would go so far as to out and out accuse a person by name or risk another reason to go to court.

So are you saying that the behavior of the TRT as interpreted by the government, is sufficient proof that they are in fact guilty of the charges that the tribunal? Then why have the tribunal? And the government according to the reporter, has made statements that the TRT will be dissolved.

I would expect that a government that claims to be paving the way for a new era of lawful democracy would understand that it is not its place to determine guilt. There are courts for that. And that in expressing their opinion, before the courts have dealt with the case is at the very least prejudical.

Or perhaps you are saying that it doesn't matter whether they are innocent or guilty of the charges- all that matters is to dissolve the party because it is bad. And the democrats shouldn't be dissolved because they are nice.

Edited by blaze

So are you saying that the behavior of the TRT as interpreted by the government, is sufficient proof that they are in fact guilty of the charges that the tribunal? Then why have the tribunal? And the government according to the reporter, has made statements that the TRT will be dissolved.

I would expect that a government that claims to be paving the way for a new era of lawful democracy would understand that it is not its place to determine guilt. There are courts for that. And that in expressing their opinion, before the courts have dealt with the case is at the very least prejudical.

Or perhaps you are saying that it doesn't matter whether they are innocent or guilty of the charges- all that matters is to dissolve the party because it is bad. And the democrats shouldn't be dissolved because they are nice.

What I am saying has nothing to do with guilt or being innocent. The TRT is just trying to show strength by standing up to the people who took them out of power. The methods they are using are drawing opinions and comments. Then they are trying to turn things around in this comment by saying they are the only ones being criticized. The fact is the other parties have not given people much to talk about where the TRT has given an abundance of things to talk about.

Not much different than some aggressive drunk in a bar shouting at you “What are you looking at?!” if you happen to be glancing their way.

Simply the TRT is trying to project the appearance that they are being singled out when in fact all they are doing is calling attention to themselves to invite comment.

What I am saying has nothing to do with guilt or being innocent.

I thought you were initially referring to Chaturan's complaining that that the gov't and the military have already announced that the TRT would not be around for the next election- (due, obviously, to the fact that the govt/military have already decided that the party WILL be found guilty by the tribunal). I think that is very much a matter of guilt and innocence.

Governments that claim to be committed to rule of law don't prejudge the GUILT or INNOCENCE of an accused party. They leave that to the courts. But I've said that several times and don't seem to be getting that point across.

Or perhaps they, like you, have determined that it "has nothing to do with guilt or innocence." Regardless of the tribunal's findings, It's just tits up for TRT. And that puts into question the very impartiality of the tribunal.

Maybe the standards of justice to which this government holds itself is no different that the bar-room justice you refer to. Where legal process resembles less the Old Bailey- than that meted out in the old Thermae. And anyone who expects better is a whiner.

Edited by blaze

several military leaders and influential government figures have attacked only Thai Rak Thai by saying it would surely be dissolved

Before all these postulations, it might be helpful to examine exactly who said what.

The report is extremely vague on that... without any specifics and being left to try to suppose what someone meant when they said something is wide open to endless speculation, but really is just an exercise in futility.

The article evens generates an open interpretation of exactly who said someone said something.

What I am saying has nothing to do with guilt or being innocent.

I thought you were initially referring to Chaturan's complaining that that the gov't and the military have already announced that the TRT would not be around for the next election- (due, obviously, to the fact that the govt/military have already decided that the party WILL be found guilty by the tribunal). I think that is very much a matter of guilt and innocence.

Governments that claim to be committed to rule of law don't prejudge the GUILT or INNOCENCE of an accused party. They leave that to the courts. But I've said that several times and don't seem to be getting that point across.

Or perhaps they, like you, have determined that it "has nothing to do with guilt or innocence." Regardless of the tribunal's findings, It's just tits up for TRT. And that puts into question the very impartiality of the tribunal.

Maybe the standards of justice to which this government holds itself is no different that the bar-room justice you refer to. Where legal process resembles less the Old Bailey- than that meted out in the old Thermae. And anyone who expects better is a whiner.

As far as I can read it, they are only expressing their opinion. Correct me if I am wrong but was not the process underway prior to the coup and the players are still the same? I truly forget all the names of who is who as there are too many players in the game at the moment.

Certainly the TRT would like to project that things are bias, as it would only serve them. Everyone has their own opinion, I have only been very superficially following this, and my opinion is based on that. Based on that I feel the TRT will go down but I have not a clue about the democrats.

To express ones opinion as a private person is one thing, but I tend to disagree with government figures making such statements prior to a verdict as it can cause a sense of bias. I think it boils down to being tactful and knowing when to be quiet. So in that sense I can agree with the TRT, but I don’t feel it is the case because from my perspective there are very few things that are questionable about what happened. How the TRT have been acting further supports my opinion of guilt. My opinion came entirely without hearing the opinion of others.

By the way, what ever happened to the security guy that had the original footage that started all of this? What ever happened to the guy that installed those pesky cameras?

Certainly comments from a CEO can effect stock prices but that is public. In this case they will rule on testimony and evidence and not another outside persons opinion government official or not. They will need to link their findings to specific evidence and testimony or it can be challenged. That really is the bottom line.

PM says stance of Constitutional Court on dissolution of parties case will determine the withdrawal of CDRs 15th and 27th announcements

Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont says the 15th and 27th announcements of the Council for the Democratic Reform (CDR) would be withdrawn once the Constitutional Court has a clear stance on the dissolution of political parties.

Gen. Surayud says he is ready to remove the CDR’s 15th and 27th announcements after the Constitutional Court has shown its position in considering the political parties’ dissolution case. He also says he does not feel pressured after many sides have demanded him to resign from the Prime Minister’s post.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 09 May 2007

Thai Rak Thai likely to be found guilty but penalties hard to predict

May 30 is slated to be a day of judgement for many politicians and may be the start of a new political era.

The Constitution Tribunal is poised to hand down two landmark rulings involving the former ruling Thai Rak Thai Party and the former opposition Democrat Party.

The rival parties and three small parties that allegedly acted as accomplices are fighting two separate cases of electoral fraud stemming from the botched ballot in April last year.

A key charge against Thai Rak Thai concerns the bankrolling of two small parties to join the race as a prop to overcome a voting rule which requires a single candidate running unopposed to garner more than 20 per cent of registered voters to secure victory.

An auxiliary charge centres on the alleged tampering with party membership records.

The Democrats, meanwhile, were charged with coercing a small party to frame Thai Rak Thai for bankrolling its candidates.

If convicted, the two parties face a maximum penalty of dissolution and a ban for executives from holding office for five years.

A political landscape without these two popular parties is so drastic and unprecedented a change that no one has attempted to fathom the consequences.

Yet it is a possibility that one or both parties might not be around as we know them after this month.

Political jitters have heightened because this is the first time prosecutors have invoked provisions on campaign-related fraud to penalise parties. Past litigation singled out individual candidates or executives only.

Since the three small parties appear to be puppets of the two major parties and wield no tangible political impact, the public is more eager to learn the fate of the big two.

According to legal pundits, the two cases could produce a number of scenarios. As there are no legal precedents, tribunal judges and concerned parties are treading an uncharted course to come up with a lesson that will hopefully improve politics.

In the prevailing fractious political climate, the rulings are unlikely to win kudos and judges might be hoping their opinions will not further inflame the atmosphere.

In one scenario, the tribunal might acquit both parties, cancelling all charges and rebuttals and ushering the situation back to square one. This is possible, but highly improbable, if prosecution evidence and defence rebuttals are any indication.

The next scenario is for Thai Rak Thai and its executives to face a guilty verdict with full or partial punishment. The tribunal could exercise its judicial discretion to penalise the party, a selected number of executives or the party and its entire executive board.

The prosecution evidence linking the former ruling party to the money trail in bank accounts of two small parties' candidates should be sufficient to secure conviction.

A guilty verdict in the Thai Rak Thai case is possible - indeed, highly probable.

The tribunal might grant leniency in its sentencing, however. Prosecution evidence and defence rebuttals have indicated that not all party executives were aware of any wrongdoing. The party may escape punishment but individual executives could be held accountable.

Only two Thai Rak Thai executives, Thamarak Isarangura and Pongsak Ruktapongpisal, were key players in the case. The two are known as henchmen of ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra.

A key question relating to sentencing is whether the judges would penalise Thaksin for his culpability in any fraud.

Inside the courtroom, the ousted premier made a strong argument distancing himself from his henchmen. Outside, he has kept close ties with them. Pongsak recently helped to install him as president of the Professional Golf Association of Thailand.

Another scenario is for the Democrats to win a favourable verdict. This is a real possibility because charges relating to the framing of Thai Rak Thai are flimsy and rely on individual accusations without hard evidence.

In the final scenario, the tribunal might find the Democrats guilty of fraud. This could happen because of damning statements by prosecution witnesses who pointed their finger at Democrat secretary-general Suthep Thaugsuban.

Should the judges rule against the Democrats, they might leave the oldest political party intact and choose to penalise individual executives such as Suthep.

The charges against the Democrats are not as severe as those levelled against the former ruling party.

The key question in every Democrat's mind is whether any punishment would include party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva.

Whatever the outcome of the court battle, some political titans will probably be kicked off the playing field and the political landscape will never be the same again.

- The Nation

TRT booklets, VCDs on fraud case

The Thai Rak Thai Party launched a campaign yesterday to inform members about its electoral fraud case, with executives giving away VCDs and booklets defending the party.

The group started from Victory Monument and went to Mor Chit Bus Terminal and Chatuchak Park, handing out 2,000 sets of the VCDs and booklets. Acting deputy leader Pongthep Thepkanchana also joined the campaign.

The Constitution Tribunal's ruling on the electoral fraud case, which could lead to the party's dissolution, is due on May 30.

Acting party leader Chaturon Chaisang said the campaign was not a political movement and that the tribunal had allowed the party to publicise information used in its defence during the hearings and closing statement.

"The booklets and the VCDs should make people understand the details of the case clearly since its beginning. It should benefit the party, as it must help people's understanding. Moreover, it should be a good case study," he said.

He said the campaign should not be seen as going against Council for National Security announcements that prohibit political activities. It would not put pressure on the tribunal, either.

Thai Rak Thai spokesman Kuthep Saikrachang said the party did not intend to pressure the tribunal but it needed to clarify the situation to its members because some prominent administrators had mentioned the case in a leading manner.

He said the clarification had been done via three channels: the VCDs and booklets, the party's website (www.thairakthai.or.th) and its acting executives and former MPs taking trips to provinces to make merit and visit people. The party has scheduled merit-making trips to Lamphun on May 19 and Maha Sarakham on May 26, Kuthep said.

Chaturon said he was not sure if he could join both trips.

The party's greatest support is the North and the Northeast.

Part of the closing statement filed to the tribunal and published for distribution said: "The party has greatly contributed to the country and people. It also has as many as 14,394,404 members. The party's dissolution could make them lose their membership, although they had nothing to do with the allegations. Foreign countries then might lack trust in Thai politics."

Last month, the Democrat Party launched a similar campaign, selling a testimony book set comprising three books for Bt100. The venues also included the Victory Monument and Mor Chit Bus Terminal. - Kesinee Jaikawang, The Nation

TRT booklets, VCDs on fraud case

The Thai Rak Thai Party launched a campaign yesterday to inform members about its electoral fraud case, with executives giving away VCDs and booklets defending the party.

The group started from Victory Monument and went to Mor Chit Bus Terminal and Chatuchak Park, handing out 2,000 sets of the VCDs and booklets. Acting deputy leader Pongthep Thepkanchana also joined the campaign.

The Constitution Tribunal's ruling on the electoral fraud case, which could lead to the party's dissolution, is due on May 30.

Acting party leader Chaturon Chaisang said the campaign was not a political movement and that the tribunal had allowed the party to publicise information used in its defence during the hearings and closing statement.

"The booklets and the VCDs should make people understand the details of the case clearly since its beginning. It should benefit the party, as it must help people's understanding. Moreover, it should be a good case study," he said.

He said the campaign should not be seen as going against Council for National Security announcements that prohibit political activities. It would not put pressure on the tribunal, either.

Thai Rak Thai spokesman Kuthep Saikrachang said the party did not intend to pressure the tribunal but it needed to clarify the situation to its members because some prominent administrators had mentioned the case in a leading manner.

He said the clarification had been done via three channels: the VCDs and booklets, the party's website (www.thairakthai.or.th) and its acting executives and former MPs taking trips to provinces to make merit and visit people. The party has scheduled merit-making trips to Lamphun on May 19 and Maha Sarakham on May 26, Kuthep said.

Chaturon said he was not sure if he could join both trips.

The party's greatest support is the North and the Northeast.

Part of the closing statement filed to the tribunal and published for distribution said: "The party has greatly contributed to the country and people. It also has as many as 14,394,404 members. The party's dissolution could make them lose their membership, although they had nothing to do with the allegations. Foreign countries then might lack trust in Thai politics."

Last month, the Democrat Party launched a similar campaign, selling a testimony book set comprising three books for Bt100. The venues also included the Victory Monument and Mor Chit Bus Terminal. - Kesinee Jaikawang, The Nation

eleven paragraphs detailing the scurious attempts by the TRT to rally support in the face of the coming court case- and one mentioning that - oh by the way- the precedent for this was set by the Dems.

I am at a loss again for words. Pleading to the public for sympathy and understanding. Nothing like setting things up so if the TRT goes down the other guys look bad. I am sure the VCD is so loaded with propaganda it will turnover by itself even if sitting flat on a table. Right up there with the Thaksin comic book I guess.

I wonder if the same rules will apply about comments on the verdict and the court as when the EC 3 went down.

The democratic party sold testimony books of exactly what was said. The TRT well....... rephrased is an understatement. I have not heard about the content, but an educated guess tells me I am on target with it. A full Thai style Hollywood production I imagine with patriotic music and wonderful motivational imagery. Probably produced right at the PTV studios.

This evening, ASTV was showing the latest attempt from PTV/trt and the rest of protesting groups to draw people at the next rally at Sanam Luang.

For those who attend, the much sought after amulet , from Nakhon Si Thamarat I believe, will be distributed for the sum of... 1 baht, claiming that 50, 000 monks have gathered to make the amulets which are now already going for roughly 1 500 baht and up each. The ASTV team mentioned that only 2000 monks have recently gathered to make Buddhism the national religion and that was a big event, how then could 50 000 monks gathering to make amulets have gone unnoticed?

They are also suspecting that the amulets that will be distributed at Sanam Luang are all fakes. :o

The democratic party sold testimony books of exactly what was said. The TRT well....... rephrased is an understatement. I have not heard about the content, but an educated guess tells me I am on target with it. A full Thai style Hollywood production I imagine with patriotic music and wonderful motivational imagery. Probably produced right at the PTV studios.

Then the Nation report is in error: the two were not 'similar' as reported. Until having see both- I have to reserve judgement and go with what is reported.

Then the Nation report is in error: the two were not 'similar' as reported. Until having see both- I have to reserve judgement and go with what is reported.

Fair enough. :o