TRT Targeted For Dissolution

Jai Dee

This evening, ASTV was showing the latest attempt from PTV/trt and the rest of protesting groups to draw people at the next rally at Sanam Luang.

For those who attend, the much sought after amulet , from Nakhon Si Thamarat I believe, will be distributed for the sum of... 1 baht, claiming that 50, 000 monks have gathered to make the amulets which are now already going for roughly 1 500 baht and up each. The ASTV team mentioned that only 2000 monks have recently gathered to make Buddhism the national religion and that was a big event, how then could 50 000 monks gathering to make amulets have gone unnoticed?

They are also suspecting that the amulets that will be distributed at Sanam Luang are all fakes. :o

I think that any new ones are 'fakes' aren't they? If this is true, then once again, the PTV appealing to the most base instincts of its ...base. (As with their call for a state religion).

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This evening, ASTV was showing the latest attempt from PTV/trt and the rest of protesting groups to draw people at the next rally at Sanam Luang.

For those who attend, the much sought after amulet , from Nakhon Si Thamarat I believe, will be distributed for the sum of... 1 baht, claiming that 50, 000 monks have gathered to make the amulets which are now already going for roughly 1 500 baht and up each. The ASTV team mentioned that only 2000 monks have recently gathered to make Buddhism the national religion and that was a big event, how then could 50 000 monks gathering to make amulets have gone unnoticed?

They are also suspecting that the amulets that will be distributed at Sanam Luang are all fakes. :o

I think that any new ones are 'fakes' aren't they? If this is true, then once again, the PTV appealing to the most base instincts of its ...base. (As with their call for a state religion).

They certainly don't dig up ancient amulets on a daily basis for everyone to wear. New amulets are not considered fake. I'm not sure on the exact procedure but it was explained to me that they are made by monks in a certain temple or a few local temples working together according to certain rituals.

As for counterfeit, you know how the story goes. Maybe they've recycled last year's electoral rubber stamps...

Edited by Tony Clifton

TRT booklets, VCDs on fraud case

The Thai Rak Thai Party launched a campaign yesterday to inform members about its electoral fraud case, with executives giving away VCDs and booklets defending the party.

The group started from Victory Monument and went to Mor Chit Bus Terminal and Chatuchak Park, handing out 2,000 sets of the VCDs and booklets. Acting deputy leader Pongthep Thepkanchana also joined the campaign.

Does the TRT VCD include the video version of their musical smash-hit song from last year, Ai Khon Na Liam (Square-Faced Man)?

TRT booklets, VCDs on fraud case

The Thai Rak Thai Party launched a campaign yesterday to inform members about its electoral fraud case, with executives giving away VCDs and booklets defending the party.

The group started from Victory Monument and went to Mor Chit Bus Terminal and Chatuchak Park, handing out 2,000 sets of the VCDs and booklets. Acting deputy leader Pongthep Thepkanchana also joined the campaign.

Does the TRT VCD include the video version of their musical smash-hit song from last year, Ai Khon Na Liam (Square-Faced Man)?

I am not sure about that but rumor is at the end Tony Clifton sings “I will survive.” :o:D

Edited by John K

They certainly don't dig up ancient amulets on a daily basis for everyone to wear. New amulets are not considered fake. I'm not sure on the exact procedure but it was explained to me that they are made by monks in a certain temple or a few local temples working together according to certain rituals.

As for counterfeit, you know how the story goes. Maybe they've recycled last year's electoral rubber stamps...

From the Nation- April 23-

Jatukham Rammathep amulets, which are believed to have magical powers and cost up to Bt600,000 apiece, can only be made with the permission of the southern province's Wat Phra Mahathat Woramahawiharn.

The Supreme Patriarch has provided materials to produce amulets to all temples and individuals that request them but will now stop doing so, the office of his secretary announced yesterday. It did not say why.

Wouldn't this suggest that any amulets made without his blessing- are fake. Surprising that this enterprise would be publicly announced.

If General Sonthi wants to replace Khun Surayud, the end of the month could be perfect timing, for if the dissolution of TRT is a strong possibility there could well be an attempt by TRT stalwarts to mobilise mass protests leading to Sonthi declaring a state of emergency in Bangkok.

Khun Surayud could wash his hands saying he'd done his best.

So many Thais have been disappointed with the PM's lack of sense of urgency. I remember when he retired and ordained for a considerable time as a monk in Nong Khai, at one time I believe he had the intention of remaining a monk for the rest of his life, perhaps the contemplative life he led is still influencing him.

If General Sonthi wants to replace Khun Surayud, the end of the month could be perfect timing, for if the dissolution of TRT is a strong possibility there could well be an attempt by TRT stalwarts to mobilise mass protests leading to Sonthi declaring a state of emergency in Bangkok.

So many Thais have been disappointed with the PM's lack of sense of urgency. I remember when he retired and ordained for a considerable time as a monk in Nong Khai, at one time I believe he had the intention of remaining a monk for the rest of his life, perhaps the contemplative life he led is still influencing him.

Siripon; what is your personal read on this. I can see it one of 2 ways. First the need to be thorough in dealing with Thaksin and the investigation. That takes time.

Second is Thaksin has taken Thailand to a more global level. He may be uncertain about his decisions based on a few other bad ones that got past on his watch.

In short does the possibility exist that he is a bit out of his element in the global arena and fears making the decisions needed?

Gen.Sonthi confident that Democrat and TRT will not put pressure Constitutional Tribunal

Commander-in-chief of the Royal Thai Army says he believes the Democrat and Thai Rak Thai parties will not stage a rally to put pressure the Constitutional Tribunal before it reaches a verdict on the two parties’ dissolution case.

Army Chief Gen.Sonthi Boonyaratglin told the press that he is not concerned over the present political situation and the government’s performance. He affirmed that the Council for National Security (CNS) will not strip Prime Minister Surayud Chalanont from his post.

The Army Chief and CNS Chairman said the premier’s resignation is just a rumor and they have constantly discussed problems of the country with each other. He added that the government has a clearer working guideline but it takes time to create better understandings among the general public.

As for rumors that the Democrat and Thai Rak Thai parties might mobilize people to conduct a demonstration to pressure the Constitution Tribunal, CNS Chairman expresses his belief that both parties will accept the court’s verdict.

Gen.Sonthi also affirms that he will not work as a member of the Assets Examination Committee (AEC) after he has been retired and he has yet considered playing politics.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 11 May 2007

TRT is ready to do a Cinderella as verdict looms

MORE HERE http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2007/05/13...cs_30034077.php

The former ruling Thai Rak Thai Party is keeping its options open and will morph into a new party if faced with a judicial decision that it must break up, acting party leader Chaturon Chaisang said yesterday.

"I confirm my party has prepared a way out, bracing for any eventuality in politics under the parliamentary system," he said.

Chaturon said he would reveal the details of his plan following the May 30 verdict by the Constitution Tribunal on his party's electoral-fraud case. If found guilty, the party could be penalised by dissolution.

-----------------------------

What would be the use of a party dissolution if the clowns are allowed to simply join or form another circus. Same lame show.

Ban the lot forever!

Jaturon has said TRT will not pressurise The Constitutional Court, yet, as his fellow TRT members know the present court is composed of members of The Supreme Court and Administrative Court; it may well be tougher than the Constitutional Court that took political factors rather than legal into consideration when it acquitted Thaksin of hiding his assets.

So we see a Police- Lieutenant Waiput Arponrat, a former member of TRT, saying after talking to the public and members of TRT that the members have told him they will rally over a million people at Sanam Luang within 1 or 2 days of the party dissolution and major roads will be blocked throughout Thailand in protest.

At the same time,the PTV threw down their gauntlet to the junta saying if they couldn't fill Sanam Luang at their rally on May 31, the day after the court's verdict they would give up their protests as it was a fight between democracy and dictatorship and they wished to avoid bloodshed!

Mr Jaturon, you have promised that TRT will not pressurise the court and will let the law take its course. Can you call off the dogs or are they already off the leash?

I'm quite worried about the possible outcome with the courts decisions regarding party dissolutions. Seems like all kind of distractions and bad stuff are constantly building up in the TRT aisles, they will show their true face if dissolved, maybe even before the verdict. Expect more hired trouble makers.

It gets even more strange and ridiculous.

Football clubs, amulets, populist programs, free meals and bus rides to protests and now even maybe Pojaman to lure in the crowds. A desperate bunch indeed.

What better than a new party leader who will most likely soon be declared a criminal :o

Pojaman may lead party

Khunying Pojaman Shinawatra is the front-runner to lead a new political party formed from the remnants of the Thai Rak Thai, should it be dissolved, a source said yesterday.

Many Thai Rak Thai politicians from the North and Northeast agreed the wife of ousted prime minister Thaksin was the best choice to head a new group, the party source said.

The Thai Rak Thai could be dissolved if it is found to have committed fraud in last year's elections. Its executives could be banned from politics for five years, too. The case is before the Constitution Tribunal now.

A Chiang Mai civic group leader close to the party, Promsak Sanpho, yesterday corroborated the move.

The activist said he discussed the matter with some former Thai Rak Thai members of Parliament who agreed Pojaman should be approached.

Other former Thai Rak Thai members of Parliament said they were unaware of this development. Nevertheless, they expressed support for Pojaman, saying

she was an appropriate leader.

The tribunal is scheduled to rule on separate electoral-fraud cases against Thai Rak Thai and the Democrat parties on May 30.

According to post-coup amend-ments to the Political Party Act, executives of parties dissolved for fraud will be banned from politics for five years.

Thai Rak Thai said recently it would petition His Majesty the King if the amended punishment were applied.

Former Thai Rak Thai member for Chiang Rai, Samart Kaewmeechai, said Pojaman had substantial support. He believed most former MPs still attached to the party wanted her to lead them.

He said Pojaman played important roles in the party when Thaksin led it. "She was behind his success in politics. So, she's the most suitable to be party leader."

Former member for Udon Thani Thirachai Saenkaew was unaware of moves to appoint Pojaman head of a new party.

"But, personally, I think all Thai Rak Thai former MPs agree Khunying Pojaman is suitable. She is very close to Thaksin and has the potential to become party leader," he said.

It sounds like the new constitution could stand to have something along the lines of:

Any person that used their political position to facilitate a crime shall be banned from political involvement for life.

Pojaman Shinawatra, second left, wife of former prime minister Thaksin, is accompanied by her children Paethongtarn, left, Pinthongta, third left, and Panthongtae as they leave the Criminal Court yesterday. Pojaman, her brother and her secretary have been charged with evading Bt546 million in tax in connection with the 1997 sale of Shinawatra Computer and Communications shares.

The Godmother leaves the court with her brats. This is the possible new leader of the discredited TRT.

THE NATION Tuesday May 15th 2007

Pojaman may lead party

Khunying Pojaman Shinawatra is the front-runner to lead a new political party formed from the remnants of the Thai Rak Thai, should it be dissolved, a source said yesterday.

Many Thai Rak Thai politicians from the North and Northeast agreed the wife of ousted prime minister Thaksin was the best choice :D (scraping the barrel) to head a new group, the party source said.

The Thai Rak Thai could be dissolved if it is found to have committed fraud in last year's elections. Its executives could be banned from politics for five years, too. The case is before the Constitution Tribunal now.

A Chiang Mai civic group leader close to the party, Promsak Sanpho, yesterday corroborated the move.

The activist said he discussed the matter with some former Thai Rak Thai members of Parliament who agreed Pojaman should be approached.

Other former Thai Rak Thai members of Parliament said they were unaware :D of this development. Nevertheless, they expressed support for Pojaman, saying she was an appropriate leader. :D (By whose definition?)

The tribunal is scheduled to rule on separate electoral-fraud cases against Thai Rak Thai and the Democrat parties on May 30.

According to post-coup amend-ments to the Political Party Act, executives of parties dissolved for fraud will be banned from politics for five years.

Thai Rak Thai said recently it would petition His Majesty the King if the amended punishment were applied.

Former Thai Rak Thai member for Chiang Rai, Samart Kaewmeechai, said Pojaman had substantial support. :D He believed most former MPs still attached to the party wanted her to lead them.

He said Pojaman played important roles in the party when Thaksin led it. "She was behind his success in politics. So, she's the most suitable to be party leader." :o

Former member for Udon Thani Thirachai Saenkaew was unaware of moves to appoint Pojaman head of a new party.

"But, personally, I think all Thai Rak Thai former MPs agree Khunying Pojaman is suitable. She is very close to Thaksin and has the potential to become party leader," he said.

So, she could become Prime Minister if elections were held and she won?

Edited by ratcatcher

Welcome back.I don't often agree with you but you are always interesting and usually have something to say of substance.

I may be wrong here but I still don't see TRT being able to mobilise mass protests on the streets, at least not at this stage.Part of my doubt is based on the fact that TRT is a very broad spectrum of political interests brought together by a single binding agent,no longer physically present.As to Khun Surayud, while he may have disappointed many, I suspect that he still has a considerable amount of political capital to expend - assuming he has the stomach and will to continue.General Sonthi, although the coup leader, has I suggest less freedom of action than might appear.There is not even a hint that Surayud has lost any support at the level where it really matters.Anyway let's see:the wild card in the longer term may be developments in the South.

250px-Irm10.jpg

Potjaman's idol and role model

After Marcos was thrown out and eventually croaked... Imelda entered political races for the Presidency, which she lost, but she was subsequently elected as a Congresswoman.

Presently, Ferdinand Marcos, Jr. and his sister Imee R. Marcos, are Governor and Congresswoman, respectively, of Marcos' home province of Ilocos Norte.

If the ever-growing similarities of these 2 families persist, can we expect the day when Pinthongta and Panthongtae are both vying for offices?

Edited by sriracha john

250px-Irm10.jpg

After Marcos was thrown out and eventually croaked... Imelda entered political races for the Presidency, which she lost, but she was subsequently elected as a Congresswoman.

Presently, Ferdinand Marcos, Jr. and his sister Imee R. Marcos, are Governor and Congresswoman, respectively, of Marcos' home province of Ilocos Norte.

If the ever-growing similarities of these 2 families persist, can we expect the day when Pinthongta and Panthongtae are both vying for offices?

Doesn’t the Ministry of culture have something to say about photos like this? I am very sure it fits the criteria of one of the other threads.

Party execs most likely to get the chop on May 30

Securities firm says parties less likely to be dissolved because it might stir up unrest

In two weeks' time, one of the most important political events since the September coup will occur and shape the immediate future of Thailand. Virtually every eye will be focused on the Constitution Court on May 30 as it delivers its verdicts on whether the two most powerful parties, the Democrat and Thai Rak Thai, are guilty of electoral fraud.

At issue is whether the two should be dissolved if found guilty. For the court, as it assesses the evidence, there can be no room for error. It has to consider whether a conviction is in the best interests of a country, which has been battered by political instability and an economic slowdown.

Opinion has flowed from all directions about the likely outcome. On Friday, securities company UOB Kay Hian came out with some interesting research. While citing that it is difficult to predict the outcome, it was more than likely to be a compromise.

UOB Kay Hian says politics will continue to destabilise Thailand over the coming months. And that was probably why compromise could be expected from the court.

In the worst-case scenario in which both parties are considered guilty of electoral fraud and dissolved, it said this would lead to unrest as grassroots supporters of the two parties would not be likely to accept the verdict. Self-serving politicians would move in and stir them up, and before long there would be protests against the court's ruling, the government as well as the Council for National Security (CNS).

This outcome could very well lead to the failure of the national referendum on the new constitution in early September, and open up the possibility of another coup to counter unrest and the setting up of a military government.

"If the existing government is replaced by a military government, we will have the Bangkok elite joining demonstrations and causing bloodshed. We strongly believe this is the most unlikely scenario as it would plunge Thailand politically and economically into a deep hole," the securities company said.

Remarkably, the Stock Exchange of Thailand index plunged 7 points on Wednesday morning immediately after a rumour that Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont would be replaced to pave way for military control. The selling stopped after Surayud insisted later on in the day that he would not resign.

Kasikorn Research Centre (KResearch) executive Charl Kengchon said in an interview with UOB Kay Hian that he remained very concerned about the political situation and believed the national referendum on the new constitution would surely be shot down if the two political parties were to be dissolved by the Constitution Tribunal.

He said politicians might also boycott the next election if the country's two biggest political parties were dissolved. Therefore, a compromise was definitely the best answer for the country otherwise continued political instability could only ensure protracted policy uncertainty.

The most likely scenario as far as the securities company was concerned is for a compromise to be reached in which the parties are not dissolved. Instead, the guilty executives should face bans from politics for five years. In the case of Thai Rak Thai, there are two key executives, Thamarak Isarangura and Pongsak Ruktapongpisal, alleged to have been principal players in this messy business.

Prosecution evidence and defence rebuttals have suggested that not all of the party's executives were aware of any wrongdoing. The ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra had also made a "strong argument" distancing himself from the two executives.

As for the Democrat Party,

secretary-general Suthep Thaugsuban appeared a possible culprit lined up for punishment as prosecution witnesses had all pointed fingers at him.

The reasons why UOB Kay Hian believed the second scenario had more potential were:

l Grass-roots supporters of the two big political parties would be appeased. Thus there would be no mass demonstrations.

l Party executives, if involved in electoral fraud, would be

punished, sending a "powerful message" that guilty politicians are not above the law.

l Party executives not involved in the case would not be punished by default, a further sign that the judiciary di not making rulings in favour of any groups, particularly the CNS.

l The government would

continue to function and could hold the general election at the end of the year.

l The CNS would exit politics as promised without having to plunge themselves deeper into problems relating to anti-coup demonstrations.

l Another coup, or possible bloodshed, would not be likely, and the promised general election would take place.

It would seem that many Thais hope for the second scenario, as the repercussions from the first could be harsh for an already fragile political and economic environment.

Source The Nation

250px-Irm10.jpg

Doesn’t the Ministry of culture have something to say about photos like this? I am very sure it fits the criteria of one of the other threads.

Dear John, the ministry of culture would have nothing to say about photos such as this (unless you want to get you buddy SRJ into trouble for posting it) - because the picture shows Imelda Marcos (from the Philippines) and not Potjaman Shinawatra (from Thailand). :o

The reference to SET monitoring rumors of Surayud's resignation is a significant one.

Despite popular TV opinion that his government is particularly incompetent in economic matters and calls for restoration of democracy, investors apparently want him to stay and complete his mission - constitution and elections - on time.

Will the Constitution Tribunal (not the Constitution Court that has been dissolved after the coup) pass a politically expedient verdict? That is exactly what CC did in 2001 and look where it got the country.

TRT executives were acting in interests of the whole party and clearly outside their assigned duties - Thammarak was responsible for North East, not the South. It's not fair that if Thammarak pulled his tricks through every party member would reap benefits but when he fails he falls alone.

Honestly, the whole TRT should be dissolved as its members knew exactly what kind of party it was from the start. They can't plead innocence.

The reference to SET monitoring rumors of Surayud's resignation is a significant one.

Despite popular TV opinion that his government is particularly incompetent in economic matters and calls for restoration of democracy, investors apparently want him to stay and complete his mission - constitution and elections - on time.

Not because they admire his government- but rather because the alternative is a nightmare.

Of course the verdict will be political. There is far too much at stake. Imagine a scenario where the TRT was not punished at all (lack of evidence- cunning lawyers) and the Demorats nailed. That would be interesting. And regardless of the impartial legality of the verdicts- would never happen.

Edited by blaze

250px-Irm10.jpg

Dear John, the ministry of culture would have nothing to say about photos such as this (unless you want to get you buddy SRJ into trouble for posting it) - because the picture shows Imelda Marcos (from the Philippines) and not Potjaman Shinawatra (from Thailand). :o

Yes I am very aware that is Imelda even if I can’t see her shoes, It is that sexy provocative pose and that kiss for such a celebrity. Other than being off topic for a moment, it seems to me the Minister of culture is out to attack any woman who she feels may be more attractive than her.

Yes I am very aware that is Imelda even if I can’t see her shoes, It is that sexy provocative pose and that kiss for such a celebrity. Other than being off topic for a moment, it seems to me the Minister of culture is out to attack any woman who she feels may be more attractive than her.

Don't forget - the same Ministry of Culture that has never had more power than under the unelected and therefore illegal government you appear to favor.

Don't forget - the same Ministry of Culture that has never had more power than under the unelected and therefore illegal government you appear to favor.

Ministry of Culture..... "power"??? :D :D :o

Have a seat and listen to one of Ajarn Samran's lectures:

Lesson in Thai political management:

Lesson 1) "Social conservatives - how to get them out of your hair"

Social Conservatives in every country tend to be a pain in the butt in running a pragmatic and effective government. You, as a minister/prime minister will be wanting to spend your time addressing real issues such as the economy, poverty, health and education. More often then not though the zealots will divert your attention from these objectives, unless you deal with them effectively from the get-go. This manual recommends to following steps in effectively neutralising these idiots:

- Round them up and dump them into the 'Ministry of Culture"

- Give the most conservative ones important titles and positions in such ministry.

- Those surplus to available positions, should get the title of Khunying. This will ensure that they maximise their time at the hairdresser getting the bouffant tended to.....and out of YOUR hair.

- Make sure the ministry has no power to implement anything that it says.

- Make sure the ministry is well funded, diverting as many funds as possible into reports, comittees and legislative drafting processes. Ensure that every decision has to be approved by at least three subcomittees.

- As Prime Minister, make sure you let them out at least once a year, usually around Songkran to protest about Spagehetti Strap tops. However, if they are a bit hot to handle, let them draft some uneforceable legistlation and pass it in parliament. Pat them on the back for a job well done, and put them back into the cupboard till next year.

-Repeat process.

In Lesson 2, he might even reveal to you who started the Ministry of Culture. Hint: It's the guy you appear to favor.

Edited by sriracha john

Yes, indeed, the Ministry of Culture was created specifically to accomodate the wife of Snoh Tientong.

Not because they admire his government- but rather because the alternative is a nightmare.

If only our daily protesters would understand that, too.

In Lesson 2, he might even reveal to you who started the Ministry of Culture. Hint: It's the guy you appear to favor.

Usual lack of comprehension - just because i don't hate the previous government with such a blind passion that i even side with an odious military junta, does not mean that i ever favored it.

I simply favor change through the ballot box, which would have inevitably came to pass a few years down the line. Though that would have meant also a final loss of power which the elites hate even more than a Thai Chinese businessman becoming a bit too popular for their taste with the ones deemed too stupid to voice their opinions and grievances.

Anyhow, yes, the man put it in place, it was rather irrelevant, and now it is a ministry to fear, and whose idiotic recommendations are even listened to and followed up upon. Social conservatives are not just put into an irrelevant ministry - they are running the whole show.

It must be very comforting to be on a single minded mission. Right now i am re-reading a biography on Jan van Leyden and the Muenster Anabaptists, and the traps of Utopianism and blind faith. Amazing parallels to today... :o

Edited by ColPyat

Usual lack of comprehension - just because i don't hate the previous government with such a blind passion that i even side with an odious military junta, does not mean that i ever favored it.

I simply favor change through the ballot box, which would have inevitably came to pass a few years down the line. Though that would have meant also a final loss of power which the elites hate even more than a Thai Chinese businessman becoming a bit too popular for their taste with the ones deemed too stupid to voice their opinions and grievances.

Anyhow, yes, the man put it in place, it was rather irrelevant, and now it is a ministry to fear, and whose idiotic recommendations are even listened to and followed up upon. Social conservatives are not just put into an irrelevant ministry - they are running the whole show.

It must be very comforting to be on a single minded mission. Right now i am re-reading a biography on Jan van Leyden and the Muenster Anabaptists, and the traps of Utopianism and blind faith. Amazing parallels to today... :o

sorrry all your previous posts tend to show the highlighted statement above as 'untrue'

Yes, indeed, the Ministry of Culture was created specifically to accomodate the wife of Snoh Tientong.

If only our daily protesters would understand that, too.

I trust we both agree that the alternative, as presented in the article, is a second coup that would see Sarayuth 'resign' and the generals take full control.