TRT Targeted For Dissolution

Jai Dee

In Lesson 2, he might even reveal to you who started the Ministry of Culture. Hint: It's the guy you appear to favor.

Usual lack of comprehension - just because i don't hate the previous government with such a blind passion that i even side with an odious military junta, does not mean that i ever favored it.

Except that your posting history says otherwise. Just as your assertion towards another poster was "appear to favor" does not necessarily indicate a "blind passion," but rather a tendency to prefer one to the other... the same assertion is fairly made towards your own tendency.

Anyhow, yes, the man put it in place, it was rather irrelevant, and now it is a ministry to fear, and whose idiotic recommendations are even listened to and followed up upon. Social conservatives are not just put into an irrelevant ministry - they are running the whole show.

As for your assessment that those that spend their time "at the hairdresser getting their bouffant tended to" are now somehow "running the whole show"... I would suggest taking that up with Ajarn Samran over at:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...=103769&hl=

Edited by sriracha john

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thai Rak Thai yesterday had a merit-making for its new headquarters and for good luck before the Constitution Tribunal gives its verdict in the electoral-fraud case against the party on May 30.

It was attended by acting leader Chaturon Chaisang and acting executives including Sudarat Keyuraphan, Pongpol Adireksarn, Vichet Kasemthong-sri, Pongthep Thepkanchana and Sermsak Pongpanit, plus more than 100 former MPs.

Around 500 Thai Rak Thai supporters joined the event. Many decorated their shirts with national flag ribbons.

The event reminded guests of Thaksin, the party's founder and former leader. An exhibition featured the party's accomplishments, especially during five years of Thaksin's administration, as well as large pictures of the former PM, including some with messages that Thaksin was loyal to His Majesty the King.

The event also featured video of Thaksin's life from childhood until he entered politics.

Supporters also wrote messages encouraging the party and showing their confidence that it will not be dissolved. They also shouted calling for Thaksin to return as prime minister. Some shouted "Thaksin, Thaksin" periodically.

The party sold CDs and booklets outlining the party's defence in the electoral-fraud case.

The event was seen by some as an attempt to put pressure on the Constitution Tribunal judges. But acting leader Chaturon denied the claim, saying that his party made merit to celebrate its new headquarters.

"It is a pleasure that amid a huge storm the party's key men and former MPs are still strong and in good spirit," he said.

Thai Rak Thai registrar Saman Lertwongrat said the merit-making was aimed at extending the longevity of the party.

He said it still had 14.4 million members and around 250 former MPs.

- The Nation

In Lesson 2, he might even reveal to you who started the Ministry of Culture. Hint: It's the guy you appear to favor.

Usual lack of comprehension - just because i don't hate the previous government with such a blind passion that i even side with an odious military junta, does not mean that i ever favored it.

Except that your posting history says otherwise. Just as your assertion towards another poster was "appear to favor" does not necessarily indicate a "blind passion," but rather a tendency to prefer one to the other... the same assertion is fairly made towards your own tendency.

Anyhow, yes, the man put it in place, it was rather irrelevant, and now it is a ministry to fear, and whose idiotic recommendations are even listened to and followed up upon. Social conservatives are not just put into an irrelevant ministry - they are running the whole show.

As for your assessment that those that spend their time "at the hairdresser getting their bouffant tended to" are now somehow "running the whole show"... I would suggest taking that up with Ajarn Samran over at:

Well, as you know so much about my posting history, you should be able to see that on more than a few occasions i have clearly stated that i dislike Thaksin. As i said, you and your blind passion - just because somebody does not share it, and looks at politics in a more discerning and less black and white view does not mean that one is automatically in favor of the one you hate with that passion.

But this rather primitive 'you are either for me or against me' syndrome seems to be getting endemic now in this world.

Anyhow, i would point you to Ajarn Giles book "a coup for the rich" (not banned, available at the Thammasat bookstore) to see some of the reasons for the coup, and why exactly the social conservatives are the ones who run the country now, and why certain members of the academia and the NGO world are now siding with the sort of military government they have previously fought against (especially the section on the NGOs and academia previously part of the people's movement are very detailed and well founded).

just because i don't hate the previous government with such a blind passion that i even side with an odious military junta, does not mean that i ever favored it.

sorrry all your previous posts tend to show the highlighted statement above as 'untrue'

Well, then i would ask you to proof your allegation with evidence or retract that accusation. But i guess you know that you can't, and just like to stir the shit. Why is it that you only crawl out of the woodwork to stalk and attack me?

The reference to SET monitoring rumors of Surayud's resignation is a significant one.

Despite popular TV opinion that his government is particularly incompetent in economic matters and calls for restoration of democracy, investors apparently want him to stay and complete his mission

To invoke two British sayings,I think it's a question of "sticking close to nurse for fear of finding something worse".The coup leader Sonthi has "something of the night" about him.

Seriously I think the integrity and essential decency of Khun Surayud is recognised, notwithstanding his lack of political experience.

Well, as you know so much about my posting history, you should be able to see that on more than a few occasions i have clearly stated that i dislike Thaksin.

Yes, you're always invoking that claim by making that single, solitary sentence... afterwhich you then invariably proceed to follow by writing three paragraphs about why every other politician was far worse or half a page glorifying his accomplishments. The term disingenuous comes to mind.

As i said, you and your blind passion - just because somebody does not share it, and looks at politics in a more discerning and less black and white view does not mean that one is automatically in favor of the one you hate with that passion.

Certainly things are not black and white and everything must be taken in a balance sheet format. The coup's government has certainly not been perfect. I freely admit that. No government ever is. There's nothing "primitive" about looking at that balance sheet and seeing the obvious bottom line as to where any particular government stands. The only blindness occurs when you choose to ignore the final totals on the balance sheet.

Anyhow, i would point you to Ajarn Giles book "a coup for the rich"....

Your book recommendations would carry much more weight if you were willing to provide some very simple answers to questions regarding them after you have referenced them in a post. Your refusal in February regarding another book on your "recommended reading list" makes me question the validity of your entire list.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=1161236

and why exactly the social conservatives are the ones who run the country now

Your absence from the recommended thread below is noted:

Edited by sriracha john

Abhisit hits back at TRT lawyer's claim

TRT lawyer Vichit Plangsrisakul's claim that he already knows the decision of the Constitution Tribunal in the party dissolution trials was just an attempt to put pressure on the judges, Democrat leader Abhisit Vejjajiva said yesterday. He gave no credence to Mr Vichit's claim to have inside information. Mr Vichit, a member of the TRT legal team, asserted he had information that the tribunal had decided on the dissolution of both the Thai Rak Thai and Democrat parties. According to Mr Vichit, the tribunal had voted six to three to disband TRT and five to four to disband the Democrats for involvement in poll fraud in last year's April 2 general election. Mr Abhisit wondered who Mr Vichit received the information from, and to what extent Mr Vichit would be responsible for his words if the information proved false. Mr Vichit's claim also drew flak from the Constitution Tribunal, which yesterday met and discussed the issue. The judges saw Mr Vichit's comment as an attempt to put pressure on them and to stir up trouble. They said his remarks were inappropriate and unnecessary, given the problems facing the country.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/16May2007_news08.php

Report that judges voted to dissolve parties 'untrue'

The Constitution Tribunal yesterday rejected as groundless a news report that its judges had made decisions on rulings for separate electoral fraud cases against the Thai Rak Thai and Democrat parties, a source said.

The report quoted Thai Rak Thai defence lawyer Vichit Plangsrisakul as saying he had learnt about decisions by the tribunal's nine judges in favour of party dissolution: 6-3 for the Thai Rak Thai case and 5-4 for the Democrat case.

The tribunal is scheduled to rule on the cases on May 30. Three smaller political parties are co-defendants in the cases and may also face dissolution.

At their meeting yesterday, tribunal judges discussed the report in question and agreed that Vichit's comment was politically motivated, according to the source. The comment was possibly aimed at putting pressure on the tribunal, the source quoted the judges as saying.

"The judges have never voted on the cases because they want to keep their judgements confidential. They are afraid that a premature disclosure of their decisions would have an adverse effect on the country," the source said.

Vichit denied he had commented on the electoral fraud cases against the two major political parties.

"I'm not sure if it was a slip of the tongue or if the reporter who interviewed me for the report had some misunderstanding," the lawyer said yesterday.

"If I had made any comment about this matter, I would have said that the Thai Rak Thai would not be dissolved, and the 6-3 vote should be in favour of the party," he said.

Later, Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva said he was not convinced and his party was not swayed by the report.

"There has been a movement aimed at protecting some individuals' interest. I'm confident that the judicial process won't become a tool for these people," he said

- The Nation

e

Well, as you know so much about my posting history, you should be able to see that on more than a few occasions i have clearly stated that i dislike Thaksin.

Yes, you're always invoking that claim by making that single, solitary sentence... afterwhich you then invariably proceed to follow by writing three paragraphs about why every other politician was far worse or half a page glorifying his accomplishments. The term disingenuous comes to mind.

As i said, you and your blind passion - just because somebody does not share it, and looks at politics in a more discerning and less black and white view does not mean that one is automatically in favor of the one you hate with that passion.

Certainly things are not black and white and everything must be taken in a balance sheet format. The coup's government has certainly not been perfect. I freely admit that. No government ever is. There's nothing "primitive" about looking at that balance sheet and seeing the obvious bottom line as to where any particular government stands. The only blindness occurs when you choose to ignore the final totals on the balance sheet.

Anyhow, i would point you to Ajarn Giles book "a coup for the rich"....

Your book recommendations would carry much more weight if you were willing to provide some very simple answers to questions regarding them after you have referenced them in a post. Your refusal in February regarding another book on your "recommended reading list" makes me question the validity of your entire list.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=1161236

and why exactly the social conservatives are the ones who run the country now
Your absence from the recommended thread below is noted:

I am sorry, but i guess it's a cultural thing. I do not have the need to endlessly repeat why i do not like Thaksin, and after having done so already, constantly having to state the obvious. I always make the mistake assuming that my opponents have more attention span than just up to the next commercial break.

Nevertheless, my previous very hard position towards him (as you can see in some of the first posts i have made here in this forum) has softened to some extend over time, since i have learned that his vocal opponents are either far worse in all aspects, or, silently stand by and sycophantly support those opponents, while having never presented any solution to Thailand's problems.

Especially because most of his vocal opponents have supported him in his Human Rights violations (the main reason i do not like Thaksin), and even worse, that i have learned that almost all powerful sectors in Thai society were equal part of Thaksin's Human Rights violations. That though you conveniently refuse to accept.

I guess that's another cultural thing, where i come from the world is generally seen as shades of grey, and not in Black and White.

'Balance sheet', 'bottom line', 'final total' - all semantics for foregone conclusions for which there is neither proof, nor can we even talk about some of the most important facts that are influencing such ultimate terms. I am sure that i very much disagree with what you describe so strongly. And that is an ideological problem - on your side, not on mine.

As to Ajarn Giles's book - if you are too lazy to buy it - i told you where you can do that, at the Thammasat bookstore - than nobody can help you, and any attack on this book from your side is empty blather.

And the other books i recommended have contents that are researched, peer reviewed, published by reputable publishing houses, but discussing them on TV is against board rules. But if you do refuse to buy and read them, and educate yourself - nobody can help you.

As to 'social conservatives' and the morality drive thread, which absence of mine, please?

Oh, sorry, attention span again... :o

To remind you, in my first post there i have stated:

"This new morality drive is a bit ironic, especially in light of the discrepancy of self promotion, of who is virtous, and realiy, which is slightly different."

and in my other post there i stated:

"But i believe most TV members, and most Thais, are perfectly able to decide for themselves on morality issue, and don't need a new orwellian government body dictating those terms. Especially dicatated by a government that is staffed with people that have more than a few own discrepancies with what they preach, how they present themselves, and their own not so well hidden actions."

Rather often the ones preaching morality from a social conservative stand are the exact opposite in their own lives. But that still makes them social conservatives.

Edited by ColPyat

TRT leaders fear the end is near

Leading members of the Thai Rak Thai Party believe the party will be dissolved after the Constitution Tribunal verdict in two weeks, a party source said yesterday.

However, a number of supporters would join a PTV rally "to oust the junta" if members were banned from registering with a new party, the source said.

A key Thai Rak Thai member, who refused to be named, said party executives and former MPs had over the past week discussed the possibility of the party and the rival Democrat Party being dissolved, when the verdict is announced on May 30.

Most of them believed that Thai Rak Thai would be dissolved, the source said. In the event that the tribunal ruled that both parties should be disbanded, they believed Thai Rak Thai supporters would accept it, the source said.

If the junta blocked some members from registering a new party after Thai Rak Thai was dissolved, however, the source said key members would lead supporters to join the PTV rally at Sanam Luang on May 31 to "oust the CNS".

Meanwhile, former Thai Rak Thai MP Pracha Prasobdee said a verdict to dissolve the party could spark social unrest, as it would make people more dissatisfied with the junta, which had failed to reconcile the nation.

- The Nation

------------------------------------

michael_buffer_rummmmmble_small.jpg" Let's get ready to rummmmble!!! "

Chermsak Pintong alleged yesterday that the richest temple in Thailand, Wat Thammakai, the temple that promises the more you give, the greater your kharma, a temple that is naturally a strong backer of Thaksin, is paying monks to disrupt nationwide discussions of the new constitution by persistently demanding Buddhism is made the official religion of Thailand. The hope of the Thaksin supporters is that the proposed new constitution will fail in the referendum if this motion is excluded.

On another note, some speculate that General Sonthi may seek allies in a faction of ex-TRT MPs to protect himself after elections and his retirement, one ex MP he is said to be close to is Somsak Thepsutin.

And guess which prominent TRT member seems not to be facing any charges of corruption in spite of serious allegations in the past?

Somsak Thepsutin.

So TRT is the party involved with the bribing of the monks? Can't say I'm surprised. The earlier report I read listed only a "major political party" (duh, but yet they didn't specifically name it) as the group that was uncovered. The monks were bribed 5,000 baht each to go to Bangkok and disrupt the Constitution-writing process.

Purely speculative on my part, but it can't be good karma to bribe a monk.

Gen. Boonrawd indicates Dr Thaksin is seeking solutions to possible TRT dissolution

Minister of Defence Gen. Boonrawd Somthas (บุญรอด สมทัศน์) indicated the ex-PM Thaksin Shinnawatra’s recent interview via a community radio station on 87.75 FM, is an attempt to seek solution for the political parties’ dissolution.

The verdict against the TRT dissolution is expected to be announced on May 31st by the constitutional tribunal.

Sources say that the Public Relation Department (PRD) has assigned the National Broadcasting Center (NBC) to inspect the local radio station, which reportedly has been running without proper license.

In addition, the Defence Minister confirmed the state authorities’ readiness to handle PTV rally scheduled month end.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 18 May 2007

CNS Chairman believes verdict on political party dissolution will not lead to confrontation

Chairman of the Council for National Security (CNS) says he believes that the deposed Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra will not return to the country on May 29th as rumors say, adding that the court’s verdict on the political party dissolution case is unlikely to lead to social division or confrontation.

CNS Chairman Gen.Sonthi Boonyaratglin adds that the situation might improve after the court has reached the verdict. As for the distribution of leaflets threatening Advisor to the Internal Security Operations Command (ISOC) Gen.Panlop Pinmanee (พัลลภ ปิ่นมณี) not to travel to the three Southern border provinces, Gen.Sonthi says Gen.Panlop’s responsibility at ISOC does not require him to visit the provinces.

The chairman also expresses his belief that the army is on the right track in combatting the Southern insurgency but it takes time to change local people’s attitudes and persuade them to cooperate with the authority.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 22 May 2007

Metropol prepares for possible unrest on date of Constitutional Court verdict on party dissolution

The Metropolitan Police Bureau is conducting a meeting to discuss security measures aimed at handling possible unrest that may occur when the political party dissolution case is concluded.

Metropolitan Police Bureau Commissioner, Pol Lt Gen Adisorn Nonsri (อดิศร นนทรีย์ ), reported on security measures aimed at handling protestors in the end of May when the Constitution Court arrives at its verdict for the Democrat and Thai Rak Thai political parties dissolution case. Pol Lt Gen Adisorn said that Metropolitan Police, Bangkok Metropolitan Administration officials, and First Army Area troops will be prepared for an upcoming PTV network protest scheduled for May 23.

The Metropolitan Police Bureau Commissioner urged all parties to respect the Constitutional Court's decision and refrain from causing violence during the nation's moment of crisis. Pol Lt Gen Adisorn added that police will be impartial in handling an incident in which the son of a prominent politician drove through police checkpoints without heeding officers' request to stop late last Sunday night (May 20).

Thai PM Worries over Next Week Court Ruling on Political Parties

Thai Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont said Monday that he does not expect any major unrest after a key court ruling next week which could dissolve the country's two main political parties.

The Constitutional Court will rule May 30 on whether the former ruling Thai Rak Thai Party and the Democrat Party violated election law last year, which could lead to their being disbanded.

The former deputy leader of Thai Rak Thai threatened to mobilize thousands of protesters if the court ruled against it.

Surayud said he anticipated no chaos or violence—as some media have been predicting—and would go ahead with a four-day official visit to China on May 28-31.

"I don't think there will be trouble as widely speculated, I have faith in the judgment of the majority of the Thai people, that they will respect the court ruling and not come out to cause trouble," Surayud told reporters at his office.

Thailand has been in a state of political turmoil since early last year, when a popular movement to oust then-Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra from office for alleged corruption and abuse of power gathered steam.

An April 2006 general election was boycotted by the opposition parties, including the Democrats, and Parliament could not be opened for lack of a quorum. The courts later invalidated the election, leaving the country with a caretaker government under Thaksin that was overthrown by a coup d'état in September.

Both parties were indicted for alleged breaches of election law during last year's polls, with the possibility that their leaders could be barred from holding public office or their organizations dissolved entirely.

The leaders of both parties have publicly said they will respect the court's ruling.

However, at a protest Sunday evening against the current military rule, Veera Musikaphong, a former deputy leader of the Thai Rak Thai Party, said that if the party was dissolved by the court, its members would have trouble accepting the decision, and as many as 100,000 would turn out the day after to protest.

Source: The Irrawaddy - 22 May 2007

Pol Lt Gen Adisorn added that police will be impartial in handling an incident in which the son of a prominent politician drove through police checkpoints without heeding officers' request to stop late last Sunday night (May 20).

Covered in thaivisa thread:

Mayor Charged After 'Drunken Fight With Police'

The former deputy leader of Thai Rak Thai threatened to mobilize thousands of protesters if the court ruled against it.

The leaders of both parties have publicly said they will respect the court's ruling.

However, at a protest Sunday evening against the current military rule, Veera Musikaphong, a former deputy leader of the Thai Rak Thai Party, said that if the party was dissolved by the court, its members would have trouble accepting the decision, and as many as 100,000 would turn out the day after to protest.

Thai Rak Thai Leader Chaturon Chaisang said in an interview with The Nation, "The verdict could go either way. We survive or fall." "I respect the tribunal judges, no matter the outcome is."

Chaturon said it was certain that if the Thai Rak Thai were dissolved, it would cease to function. Nobody would launch any protest movement under its name, he said.

- The Nation : May 7, 2007

Just who is running the show over there at the TRT Shop of Horrors? The Deputy Leader or the Leader???

:o

Looking to stay in the big league

With a verdict just round the corner, concerned parties are looking at surviving

The parties concerned and legal pundits are split on two key questions should the Constitution Tribunal decide on May 30 to hand down guilty verdicts in cases of electoral fraud, which is punishable by party dissolution.

The questions relate to the political future of the former ruling Thai Rak Thai and former opposition Democrat parties and their executives should the Tribunal's verdicts go against them.

The first question is whether the disbanded party could register a new party with the same name. The second issue is whether the party executives will face a five-year ban on standing for elections on top of a ban from holding office in a political party.

Under relevant laws, the executives of a dissolved party face a mandatory ban on forming and managing a new party.

After the September 19 coup the junta issued an announcement - equivalent to an executive decree - disqualifying executives of disbanded parties from contesting elections, but legal pundits have doubts as to whether it can be enforced retroactively, as the alleged electoral fraud happened before the coup.

Election commissioner Sodsri Satayatham said that any party ordered disbanded by the courts could not use its old name or any of its spelling variations for a new party.

"There are clear precedents, such as the case involving the Seri Thai Party, where the Constitution Court ruled against renaming the party with a different spelling," she said.

Sodsri said she was uncertain whether the disqualification as electoral candidates would apply to punished executives.

"Under the Criminal Code, the disqualification cannot be applied retroactively but this is not a criminal case," she said.

"I hope the Constitution Tribunal will hand down a clear sentencing on the guilty executives so as to avoid conflicting interpretations," she added.

Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva said he saw no reason why a new party could not be registered with an old name.

"I recall that the New Aspiration Party had named itself again as a new party after its merger with the Thai Rak Thai Party," he said.

He said he understood the law encouraged parties to retain names or unique features familiar to constituents.

He said the Seri Thai Party was denied its name because of the similarity to the Seri Thai Movement, which had no link to it.

Expressing confidence that his party would win a favourable verdict, Abhisit refused to speculate on his fate and that of fellow party executives.

Thammasat University law lecturer Somkid Lertpaitoon said there had been many cases where parties and politicians had faced retroactive penalties.

"The 1997 Constitution prescribes a ban on retroactive punishment only in criminal cases," he said.

Source: The Nation - 22 May 2007

EIGHT DAYS TO GO : PARTY VERDICT

Tribunal 'to apply the spirit of CDR'

Judge says 'we haven't voted yet'; ruling will answer all issues involved

Looking to stay in the big league

Constitution Tribunal judges would apply the spirit of the Council for Democratic Reform (CDR) when preparing their rulings on electoral fraud cases involving the Thai Rak Thai and Democrat parties, one of the judges said yesterday.

"In our final ruling, we will answer all the questions from the public. All the issues involved will be incorporated. We will take everything into account: the principles of law and political science, as well as the spirit of the Council for Democratic Reform," said the judge, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

The CDR, which staged the Sept 19 coup last year, is now known as the Council for National Security.

The coup makers cited political interference into independent organisations as one of the four major causes for their overthrow of the Thaksin Shinawatra government. Before the coup, Election Commission members were sentenced to jail for their bias in favour of ruling politicians at the time.

Tribunal judges are required to prepare their individual judgements before voting on the final ruling.

The judge said the individual rulings would be kept secret.

That was why he doubted the credibility of a recent rumour that the nine judges had made decisions about the cases: 6-3 in favour of a Thai Rak Thai dissolution and 5-4 in favour of a Democrat dissolution.

Thai Rak Thai's defence lawyer Vichit Plangsrisakul reportedly "leaked" the results last week but he denied having made such a remark. The tribunal also rejected the report as groundless.

Another tribunal source said the judges had discussed several legal issues regarding the cases. "But we haven't voted yet," he said.

The source believed most of the judges had completed their individual judgements, but it was possible that changes could be made if they were convinced by the arguments of other judges on certain issues.

The judge said he believed the final joint rulings of the tribunal would be voted on before "the day of judgement" a week tomorrow.

He said debate on the cases was unlikely to put pressure on the judges or influence the final verdicts.

The Thai Rak Thai was accused of hiring smaller political parties to contest in the April 2006 election, which was boycotted by the three major opposition parties at the time, including the Democrats. The Democrats were accused of making false accusations against TRT.

Source: The Nation - 22 May 2007

If it was a party you supported, and they were, as the reporter states, being prejudged by the military and government which controls the country= would you also regard their demands for fair treatement as 'whining'?

Or should fairness only be accorded to the people we favor?

If either party is dissolved by the constitutional tribunal I would have thought some 'whining' was certainly in order...

First of all, dissolution of a party under the 1997 constitution should only happen if the party has attempted to destroy the government - hardly the case given the offenses against TRT and other parties (which pale into insignificance given their usual political shenanigans).

To quote one of the drafters of the 1997 constitution...

"According to the Political Party Act, the cause for party dissolution is conduct to topple democracy with a constitutional monarchy. In my opinion, it could only be staging a coup or mobilising people for a political revolution. What both parties did was none of these," said Kanin Boonsuwan, a drafter of the now defunct 1997 constitution.

(Note here that the only 'party' guilty of this offense... is the military junta itself)

Secondly, if, in addition, party executives are banned from politics for 5 years this will be entirely down to laws introduced by this military junta - which only has the the political legitimacy of the point of a gun...

the cause for party dissolution is conduct to topple democracy with a constitutional monarchy

widespread vote buying fits this in my books ...................... :o

apparently both parties are guilty and thus BOTH should be dissolved and their upper echelon barred for 5 years as per the LAW, :D

Pandora is out of the box ............................. :D

Here's a little food for thought I imagine a lot of people hadn't considered....

Thai Rak Thai, Democrat may not be revived in time for next poll if disbanded

Election commissioner Sodsri Satayatham Tuesday reminded parties concerned that they might need about six months to register a new party if faced with a court order to disband an old party due to electoral fraud.

"The party registration is a lengthy process because of required accounting audit for the dissolved party," she said, hinting that the new party might not be ready to contest the next general election if party founders chose not to take over existing parties.

Thai Rak Thai Party acting leader Chaturon Chaisang earlier said he had a contingency plan to form a new party if his former ruling party faced a guilty verdict for fraud.

Sodsri said any parties disbanded by the court order were obliged to undergo the audit on financial record before being allowed to register a new party under a new name.

- The Nation

Thai Rak Thai Leader Chaturon Chaisang said in an interview with The Nation, "The verdict could go either way. We survive or fall." "I respect the tribunal judges, no matter the outcome is."

Chaturon said it was certain that if the Thai Rak Thai were dissolved, it would cease to function. Nobody would launch any protest movement under its name, he said.

- The Nation : May 7, 2007

Just who is running the show over there at the TRT Shop of Horrors? The Deputy Leader or the Leader???

:o

Now it's Bangkok Post's turn to interview the "Leader" :

Question

Recently, some former Thai Rak Thai party politicians sent out signals that if the party is dissolved, they and their supporters will take to the streets and seize provincial halls. How do you feel about this?

Chaturon Chaisang's Answer

They think that the party is receiving unfair treatment. Hence, they came out to express their opinions before the ruling and may possibly do so after the ruling. Thai Rak Thai has a lot of supporters, so it's not unusual for such people to differ. Most of them still agree on basics. Recently, during a merit-making ceremony at the party's new building, party executives discussed the activities of these former politicians. They don't want them or the party to make any political moves that cause trouble at this time. It's pointless. We pin our hopes on the coming elections and prefer to take power through the ballot box, both Government House and parliament. Now we have reached an understanding with former Thai Rak Thai politicians and with the party's supporters, making them see the importance of the general election because we believe it to be the best way out. Apart from this, we have to use peaceful means to remove the conditions for confrontation and do our utmost to ensure people from all walks of life accept the results of the elections. We don't want to see the country fall into chaos.

Question

How do you feel about People's Television (PTV) which may use a crisis over the party's dissolution to hold rallies and conduct other political activity?

Chaturon Chaisang's Answer

Thai Rak Thai will certainly not join any PTV rallies and political activities at this time.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/23May2007_news10.php

SEVEN DAYS TO GO

TRT braces itself for May 30

A week before the "judgement day", the Thai Rak Thai Party has stepped up preparations and campaign before the Constitution Tribunal delivers its verdicts on the 2006 election fraud cases, with tens of thousands of taxi drivers being asked to turn on headlights and mounting red flags to support the party.

About 100 former Thai Rak Thai MPs from the Northeast also attended an urgent party meeting yesterday and were brieved about the latest situation as well as a worst-case scenario. They left the party's headquarters carrying files and video CDs they were supposed to use when explaning the party's fate and plans to their constituents.

"We have been talking to former MPs over the past few days to give them the correct understanding of the situation before the verdicts come on May 30," said Thai Rak Thai leader Chaturon Chaisaeng. "We all agree that our strongest point is the election, so we will do the best we can to make sure nothing goes wrong before the promised election at the end of the year."

He said the party was "prepared" for the worstcase scenario _ a dissolution verdict which could ban party executives from politics in the next election. But Chaturon declined to reveal the plans, saying all details would be given on the judgement day.

But over the next few days the party would step up a campaign "for justice", according to former Udon Thai MP Wichai Chaijitvanichkul.

"Taxi clubs will be asked to have their members turn on headlights and mount red flags to express public love for justice," said Wichai, who was apparently careful not to portray it as a campaign to pressure the Constitution Tribunal.

"The red colour represents the Thai nation, and we chose the taxi drivers because they have had strong connections with our party," he said. "This is not meant to defy the interim leadership. It will just give people who love our party a chance to express their clamouring for justice."

The party will set up a stage in front of its headquarters on May 30 for its members and followers to monitor the tribunal's rulings. Party senior members insisted that the plan was not meant to create trouble in the event of a dissolution order.

If dissolved, unaffected party members will seek to register a new party, but under the old "Thai Rak Thai" name. Opinions have been divided as to whether registering a new party under the old name is legally possible.

- The Nation

====================

TRT's Red Flags?

TRTflag.jpg

This is all on the surface, I wonder how much money they have offered to the judges. This behavior in my view is an open admission of guilt and now they are trying to persuade the judges not to do the right thing. Very self serving, very TRT and Thaksin.

SIX DAYS TO GO

In the Dock

Six possible verdicts and what they entail

Scenario 1: Both parties are dissolved. All party executives get a five-year ban.

Although such a verdict would expel a number of unpopular and nasty politicians, it could bring the worst prospect for the country.

The heavyweights and influential figures who have dominated Thai politics for decades would be kicked out five years. All 118 TRT executives and another 49 from the Democrats would be barred from assuming political posts - MPs, senators and ministers included.

The list of "possible victims" includes Thaksin Shinawatra, Abhisit Vejjajiva, Apirak Kosayodhin, Somsak Thepsuthin, Somkid Chatusripitak, Suthep Thaugsuban, Newin Chidchob and Sudarat Keyuraphan.

TRT's Somsak's plan to found a new party led by his ally TRT's Somkid would be sunk.

In the meantime, it could revive veteran politicians like Chuan Leekpai, Banharn Silapaarcha and General Chavalit Yongchaiyudh for a comeback to rule the country.

The dissolution of both parties would give the junta legitimacy that key politicians were dishonest and had caused trouble. Thus, military intervention to save the country from an ongoing crisis would be more legitimate and unavoidable.

Moreover, such a verdict would close the door on attempts to reap revenge on the coup makers. For while they wanted a "safe landing" by joining a party with political heavyweights to win the next poll, and form a coalition government, it is very risky for them to trust former allies of Thaksin. Such people could switch sides if the balance of power shifted in favour of the former premier.

But without the two main parties, democracy may be fragile if the public feels the country is starting to become a military state.

The army forces would turn into the most powerful interest group and the system of checks and balances may erode under those circumstances.

As a result, anti-junta and pro-Thaksin groups may gain momentum to overturn military rule. TRT may mobilise their supporters to rally against an "unfair" ruling. And the Democrats and democratic activists could even join TRT protests if dark clouds loomed over their futures.

Scenario 2: Only Thai Rak Thai is disbanded, along with a five-year ban on its executives. The Democrats escape punishment.

This verdict could cause unrest by Thai Rak Thai supporters.

A TRT executive was recently accused of leaking "possibly true" verdicts that both parties would be guilty and disbanded.

The message was intended to warn Thai Rak Thai supporters who still have faith in deposed premier Thaksin that the party would be disbanded regardless of the legal process.

The supposed "leak" was like a bomb thrown at the junta and the Constitution Tribunal.

The underlying message is that a verdict that disbands only Thai Rak Thai would suggest to its supporters and the public that the judges had been swayed to change their mind at the last minute in favour of its opponents.

Furthermore, a ruling against Thai Rak Thai would suggest the Democrats were allies of the junta, and the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) - all Thaksin's bitter enemies.

This verdict could fuel anti-CNS rallies led by People's TV, which have the potential to gain momentum. The rallies recently turned into a pro-Thaksin event with more supporters taking part every week. Indeed, most PTV executives are former senior TRT members.

If this ruling is made, the door for former TRT heavyweights Somsak and Somkid to form a new party would close as they would be hit with five-year bans.

And junta leaders may have to cancel any plans to enter politics democratically, if Somsak is forced to take a long break.

Scenario 3: Only Thai Rak Thai is disbanded. However, its executives escape a five-year ban. The Democrat Party is found innocent, and its executives are free to stay in politics. This outcome would block Thaksin from making a return, as he was party leader during the April 2 poll and would be pressured to take responsibility for the party's guilt.

However, supporters of Thai Rak Thai and Thaksin may stage rallies to call for "justice" for the party and expremier.

TRT executives would be free to join hands with junta leaders to form a new party, which would have a strong chance of winning the next election and forming government.

The junta would be able to shift to democratic rule. By being in the next administration, military leaders would be able to protect themselves from any act of revenge by ousted premier Thaksin.

However, the outcome of such a joint force could be like a step back to the bad old days of semi-military regimes. Junta leaders would have to compromise with influential politicians, whom they earlier ousted with charges of corruption.

Such a situation may sway public perception that the September coup was a farce, and that military only intervened to regain power they had lost in recent years.

It would be similar to the coup in 1991, when junta leader General Suchinda Kraprayoon assumed the premiership despite the junta having promised earlier to back an elected prime minister.

If the people feel they have been betrayed, rallies against military rule could grow stronger and this could led to unrest.

Scenario 4: Both parties are dissolved. However, all party executives escape a five-year ban.

Such a verdict might indicate that the Council for National Security (CNS) plans to form a political party with heavyweights from Thai Rak Thai and possibly other parties.

This ruling would point out that Thai Rak Thai and the Democrats caused a serious crisis by acts linked to the controversial election on April 2, 2006. They were greedy for power so ended up working against the country's best interests.

If all executives of both parties were banned for five years, howฌever, the CNS would find it hard to deliver its plan. Hence, they should be found innocent while the guilt could be pinned on "individuals", because the parties did not issue any resolutions to undertake illegal acts.

The CNS leaders hope to end their rule as national heroes, who return democracy to the people.

A national poll will surely take place. A party made up of junta leaders and TRT heavyweights - including factions which recently left TRT to form a new political group - could potentially win the next poll and form government.

But the joint force and implications would be similar to Scenario 3, which could end in a people's uprising.

Scenario 5: Only the Democrat Party is dissolved, and a five-year ban imposed on its executives. Thai Rak Thai is freed. This verdict is least likely to be delivered on May 30. With the junta wanting to ruin Thai Rak Thai and Thaksin, any result that would let them free appears at odds with the current political context.

Scenario 6: Both parties are found innocent, and their execuฌtives escape any punishment. On the political front, this verdict would possibly lead to reconciliation among groups in the ongoing conflict, at least for the near future. Supporters of both parties could stay at home.

Political heavyweights would be free to focus on their campaigns for the next poll rather than their survival. The PAD might cry foul over a verdict that lets TRT and Thaksin free. However, it has lost power and the possibility of a new round of protests is unlikely to cause trouble.

However, such an outcome may cast doubt on the legal process.

If both parties are not found guilty, the Constitution Tribunal could suddenly be in the hot seat.

The judges would have to explain why they ruled the controversial poll on April 2 last year as "untainted by fraud" - after His Majesty the King calling it the "worst crisis."

The Administrative Court, moreover, suspended by-elections in southern constituencies. The Constitution Court soon followed by cancelling the April 2 poll.

Three election commissioners at the time were later sent to jail for their abuse of power in over-seeing the April 2 election.

This outcome would lead to controversy if it questioned the legitimacy of the anti-Thaksin movement.

- The Nation

"We all agree that our strongest point is the election, so we will do the best we can to make sure nothing goes wrong before the promised election at the end of the year."

Those would have been words of wisdom, had they been spoken before last year's election and had those same elections not been tampered with, a partial Election Commission, last minute changes like rubber stamps instead of pens, repositioned paper ballot boxes when metal ones were already available. They're crying out for elections when they couldn't help but cheat on the last ones.

Ban the lot.

Defence Minister not concerned over PM’s trip abroad during final phase of party dissolution case

Defence Minister Gem.Boonrawd Somtas (บุญรอด สมทัศน์) expresses confidence that the prime minister’s trip abroad during the final stage of the political party dissolution case will not affect state security.

The minister says Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont, who is scheduled to visit China while the Constitutional Tribunal is reaching the verdict of the party dissolution case, can return to the country immediately if an emergency situation occurs. The Constitutional Tribunal will announce the verdict on May 30th.

Gen.Boonrawd says the government has prepared a draft of the declaration of state of emergency to control possible chaotic situation. However, he admits that it is not easy to monitor demonstrators who travel individually or in a small group to Bangkok.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 24 May 2007

BKK Governor is ready to accept ruling of Constitutional Court

Bangkok Governor and Democrat Party deputy leader Apirak Kosayodhin is ready to accept the Constitutional Court’s verdict on the political parties’ dissolution case on May 30th, 2007.

Mr. Apirak says the Democrat Party has a clear stance on this case and the party has discussed this issue continually. He says he does not want to forecast the court’s ruling, saying if the court has ruled the Democrat Party to be dissolved and its party members are not allowed to take part in politics, then he would have to accept the decision.

Mr. Apirak also remarks with a smile that he will travel to the Constitutional Court to listen to the verdict on May 30th.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 24 May 2007