How do I stop my family eating the wildlife...

simon43

Tell them more farangs will come to the hotel if it has wildlife. And more guests means more money. $$$ are the ONLY thing that will motivate an Isaan Thai.

Yeah you'll be packed to the rafters if you advertise an abundance of snakes, huge black scorpions, 3-inch beetles

and bats.

No Simon can just lie about the type of wildlife at his hotel and post photos downloaded from the internet. Works for the TAT....why shouldn't it work for Simon...

Herds of migrating wildebeest should bring increased bookings.

simon

Posted Yesterday, 21:42

Not really a serious post, (unless they start this as a full-time job) smile.png.pagespeed.ce.CwSpBGGvqN.png

I've almost completed the build of a new guest-house in north Phuket, (my fourth successful project).

This latest guest-house is set amongst the peace and nature of a rubber-tree plantation, and strategically located several hundred metres from my Issan ex-wife #2 and family.

One plus point is the abundance of wildlife:

Owls

Snakes

Huge black scorpions

3-inch beetles

Bats

Atlas moths

Fireflies

etc etc.

Yesterday, a very large and attractive frog suddenly appeared in the ornamental pond that I've just built.

Tonight, my family kids chanted 'Fa chai fa chai', and collected up dozens of small beetles to eat.

The frog has mysteriously disappeared, and my suspicions were aroused after BIL said that it was good to eat..... (which it indeed is)

At this rate, there will be no wildlife left sad.png.pagespeed.ce.5zxzyGiJz0.png

My family are not starving - guay dio is available and tastier than crunchy beetle legs.

How can I teach my Issan family to respect nature, not eat it!?

Simon

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Big white man that "knows" everything, shall teach other nations about their own culture... It is just plain stupid..

Do what you want to do, and live your own culture and keep it to yourself....

This whole post breath un-edicated, un-understanding falang knows nothing about foreign countries.

Glegolo

Edited by glegolo
  • Like 1

Big white man that "knows" everything, shall teach other nations about their own culture...

The important point here is that they were catching and eating the wildlife in MY hotel, (not any of the other ones that I've built where my ex's are full or part-owners).

I don't mind at all what they catch and eat in THEIR hotels, but in MY hotel the frogs, beetles and scorpions are definitely NOT for eating.....

I feel a 'Private Property - No Family Members Allowed' moment coming on whistling.gif

This whole post breath un-edicated, un-understanding falang knows nothing about foreign countries.

Oh how wrong you are...... :)

Edited by simon43

Big white man that "knows" everything, shall teach other nations about their own culture...

The important point here is that they were catching and eating the wildlife in MY hotel, (not any of the other ones that I've built where my ex's are full or part-owners).

I don't mind at all what they catch and eat in THEIR hotels, but in MY hotel the frogs, beetles and scorpions are definitely NOT for eating.....

I feel a 'Private Property - No Family Members Allowed' moment coming on whistling.gif

Oh how wrong you are...... smile.png

Still hanging on - you call them MY family and next MY HOTEL.......I do not call that "MY family", I call that a couple of strangers where

I am married to one of them ,

Feels really strange to read about it actually.

Glegolo

Save everything except the snakes ! Start a new trend in snake burgers, or snake tom yum, as they do in Hong Kong. But come to think of it -leave the pythons. Its a difficult one. You could try to find some appropriate DVDs in Thai, but - 'they're worth money' angle may have the best chance.

You might say YOUR hotel, but the land outside is not YOUR land and neither are the creatures on it.

You say the creatures are definitely NOT for eating, but apparently they are for eating or you wouldn't have started this topic.

simon43, on 09 Apr 2014 - 18:40, said:

The important point here is that they were catching and eating the wildlife in MY hotel,

If you have "wildlife" like this in your hotel, I for one would hesitate to book a room in your hotel.

"Owls

Snakes

Huge black scorpions

3-inch beetles

Bats

Atlas moths

Fireflies"

I call that a couple of strangers where I am married to one of them ,

Not sure what you're trying to say. I'm not married and neither are any of those family members my GF...

It might surprise some posters, but many guests actually appreciate nature and the presence of bats, owls, lizards, beetles etc etc.

As for the land not being my land, one could argue that all land belongs to your God. But since I lease this land and only my name is on the lease, I am probably the 'boss' of the land for the next 20 years or so.

In any case, playing my family at their own game is the best solution. I need to conjure up some 'ghosts' smile.png

But remember my OP - I am not 'serious' about this, even if some of you who post are...

Edited by simon43

So a SakNak family has moved to Phuket and you want them to give up the SakNak ways?

It would benefit the wildlife...

My family's hotel garden is devoid of wildlife

My hotel garden is teeming with wildlife - I want it to stay that way

So a SakNak family has moved to Phuket and you want them to give up the SakNak ways?

It would benefit the wildlife...

My family's hotel garden is devoid of wildlife

My hotel garden is teeming with wildlife - I want it to stay that way

Send them back to SakNak. Or maybe if you keep playing your kaen enough they will leave of their own.

Edited by JLCrab

it is part of Thai tradition and culture,what if your family went back to your country and said you cannot eat chicken or cannot eat cow.Maybe you should try and eat like Thai if you live in Thailand and not try to change people,i'm sure there are many foreign foods that Thai's dont like but they don't tell you to stop eating them.wai2.gif