How is Pattaya going to cope with a future water supply?

giddyup

I live on the dark side and we have our water either cut or the flow reduced substantially for a couple of weeks now. Fortunately we have a back-up tank, so have never run out yet. My question is with all the unfettered condo and village development, how is Pattaya going to cope in the future? Are there more dams planned for construction?

• They could start by deepening, and widening the current reservoirs. Then only allowing low water consumption toilets to be sold. Requiring low water use land scapping only in new developments. Using drip irrigation systems. Banning Songkran. Only serving water in restaurants when it is specificaly requested. Only allowing lawns to be watered during certain hours of the day/evening, and not every day. Recycling grey water for irrigation. Solar powered desalination plants.

dam for where?

better to hope for a desalination plant in some infrastructure bill...

Far too expensive. O.K for sheikhs and the like, but only way I can see it happening here is if they stick it next to their new nuclear power plant.

• They could start by deepening, and widening the current reservoirs. Then only allowing low water consumption toilets to be sold. Requiring low water use land scapping only in new developments. Using drip irrigation systems. Banning Songkran. Only serving water in restaurants when it is specificaly requested. Only allowing lawns to be watered during certain hours of the day/evening, and not every day. Recycling grey water for irrigation. Solar powered desalination plants.

What to thing of all the golfcourses?

Any ideau how much water is spoiled to keep them smooth and green?

"They could start by deepening, and widening the current reservoirs."

I remember about eight years ago when the water level in the pattaya reservoir was so low you could walk on most of it. Hotels and guesthouses had tomhave water trucked in several times a week it was so bad.

They talked about how they would dig it out deeper....but this is thailand and nothing was done. They also announced a big pipeline was to be built that was going to run into supply more water. They even said how long it would take and made a big media fuss. Of course it rained later on, water was in good supply again and a couple of years later when there was another shortage it turned out that they never bothered building a pipeline. Just another BS media announcement.

• Like 1

I remember about eight years ago when the water level in the pattaya reservoir was so low you could walk on most of it. Hotels and guesthouses had tomhave water trucked in several times a week it was so bad.

They talked about how they would dig it out deeper....but this is thailand and nothing was done. They also announced a big pipeline was to be built that was going to run into supply more water. They even said how long it would take and made a big media fuss. Of course it rained later on, water was in good supply again and a couple of years later when there was another shortage it turned out that they never bothered building a pipeline. Just another BS media announcement.

I think the pipeline was actually completed. That's why even though it hasn't rained in months, maprachan reservoir is basically full.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I think the pipeline was actually completed. That's why even though it hasn't rained in months, maprachan reservoir is basically full.

I only live about 5 klms from Mabrachan and my water supply lately has been abysmal, none at all today and most days only a trickle. We are in a position now where we really have to conserve our reserve tank water as we don't know how long before it can get topped up.

The way things are going there aren,t going to be any tourists here to consume any water smile.png Never seen the town so quiet, but there is always the alternative ..... drink beer smile.png

Sorry don't really like washing myself in Beer.....whistling.gif

...and another thing, there's a Fun/Water Park opening soon on the Sukhumvit Road between Ban Amphur and Bang Saray (near Nong Nooch Gardens). For the last 6 months a large diameter steel pipe has been laid along Sukhumvit Road in this area. It looks too big for water supply, but I can't be sure of it's purpose. I live between Bang Saray and Sattahip and thankfully had a reserve supply tank installed about 9 months ago. Before I had the tank the water supply was very often interrupted, sometimes for 24 hours. I don't see how a new Water Park can be accommodated within the existing water supply infrastructure??? Who cares? TIT!!

The way things are going there aren,t going to be any tourists here to consume any water smile.png Never seen the town so quiet, but there is always the alternative ..... drink beer smile.png

Sorry don't really like washing myself in Beer.....whistling.gif

I hear milk does wonders for the skin.

It is so refreshing...to read a post...using Western common sense...

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I only live about 5 klms from Mabrachan and my water supply lately has been abysmal, none at all today and most days only a trickle. We are in a position now where we really have to conserve our reserve tank water as we don't know how long before it can get topped up.

It's the same at my house near Wat Sattuwas. Nothing to speak of during the day but comes on during the nite and tops off the holding tank. Don't know the reason for the daytime shutoffs or rationing...maybe system maintenance or conserving supplies.

With all the making up of land for the vast amount of developments occurring in this area...

Maybe it would be an idea for the government/council to acquire land suitable for a new

reservoir...

They could then "extract and sell" soil to developers, which would not only help with the

cost and creation of a new reservoir, but go a long way to alleviating the shortfall

these new dwellings are certain to cause.....

With regard to not using water for the gardens......although this is an idea.....

it is somewhat unfair for all of those who already have homes, to be penalised by the new

condo/housing developments.....

Who will for certain be watering their landscaped areas without guilt

Edited by DD13

My experience of living on the darkside showed that most of the problems were crap and aged pipe-work.

My road was forever going from lake to excavation to poorly refilled as I was without incoming water.

Best to get a second water tank put in!

I too fret for the future but being close to Pattaya, you know that something will be done as they cannot let that place run dry.

I hope people in outlying areas are not forced to truck water in as those guys make a lot of money and have been known to create their own business!

Future water supply? If the past is anything to go by they ain't gonna do very well (no pun intended). 30 years ago when my house was connected to city water they failed to deliver one drop for many months. Over those 30 years there has been regular instances of just air in the pipes. Even during the last few months water is available for only a few hours a day. Visit the PWA offices and today you'll hear the same as has been heard everyday for decades. Nam mai lai (water is not flowing) at such and such a place. 30 years and they still haven't got it together. Useless.

Your best bet is to build a gigantic underground tank and collect rainwater into it. Be self-sufficient as much as possible. Don't rely on any Thai government or Thai public utility to provide you with one of the most important basic commodities, WATER.

• Like 1

With all the making up of land for the vast amount of developments occurring in this area...

Maybe it would be an idea for the government/council to acquire land suitable for a new

reservoir...

They could then "extract and sell" soil to developers, which would not only help with the

cost and creation of a new reservoir, but go a long way to alleviating the shortfall

With regard to not using water for the gardens......although this is an idea.....

it is somewhat unfair for all of those who already have homes, to be penalised by the new

With regard again to not watering the garden ,i will do what i did in the UK when there was a hosepipe ban ,i didn't tell on my next door neighbour and he didnt tell on mesmile.png

• Like 1

They could ban the Songkran water throwing idiocy, that would save half a reservoir for sure. smile.png

If they bring their own water they can have a "songkran" festival on the lawns in my garden

Having said that......it has just started to thunder.....so maybe some rain coming

In that case ......my offer is cancelled

reservoir...

With regard again to not watering the garden ,i will do what i did in the UK when there was a hosepipe ban ,i didn't tell on my next door neighbour and he didnt tell on mesmile.png

Thames Water used a helicopter to survey & then investigates those with lush lawns.

Some minor celeb got caught that way, he was way off the road & his gardens were hidden he thought

Edited by SidJames