Cancelling extension of stay and work permit

I've given notice at my job, and am now wondering how best to cancel my work permit and the extension of stay on my visa.

My situation is somewhat specific so I'll provide some details:

• I'm on a non-o visa based on marriage.
  • My wife and I will be leaving Thailand in a few months to live and work abroad.
  • I have some vacation time built up that will be 'tacked on' to the end of my work period. In other words, my last day physically in the office will be about one month before I stop getting paid.
  • My wife and I are going on a holiday abroad during that month and then we'll come back to Thailand for about 2 months before moving abroad. When we come back to Thailand we won't be staying where we are now--we'll be with her family.

So, here is my question:

Can I have someone from my employer's administrative office cancel my work permit for me (if I sign all the forms before I go on vacation) or do I have to physically show up at the labor office after my last official work day? All my taxes have been paid.

When I come back to Thailand after my vacation, wouldn't my visa extension just be cancelled if I don't get a re-entry permit? Couldn't I just enter on a regular 30 day tourist visa? Or is there more to it?

If the two points above are possible, would that meet all the requirements for cancelling my extension of stay and work permit?

Sorry if the above is confusing. I'll attempt to be more clear if need be.

Thanks! smile.png

Did you do your extension of stay based upon working or marriage to a Thai. If marriage it will not end when your job ends.

When does your extension end?

Your employer can cancel your work permit for you.

If your extension is for working it would end when you enter the country without a re-entry permit. You will get a 30 day visa exempt entry it is not a tourist visa.

You could then get a 60 day extension at immigration to visit you wife.

• Like 1

Thanks very much for your reply.

My extension is based on my job.

So if my employer cancels my work permit for me, all I would have to do is leave the country without a re-entry permit and everything (visa and work permit related) would be sorted?

Also, If I understand you correctly, I could come into Thailand and get a standard 30 day tourist stamp, and then when that is about to expire, I could get a 60 day extension to visit my wife? Which would be a total of 90 days--which would be perfect for our schedule.

Your extension for all intents and purposes will end on the day you leave the country and you will get 30 days on entry.

You can get the 60 days extension to visit your wife without a problem. Your wife will need to go to immigration with you. You will need your marriage certificate, your wife's house book and ID card (and copies of them). Plus copies of your passport photo page, entry/permit to stay stamp and TM6 departure card. The fee will be 1900 baht.

• Like 1

From a visa agent's website:-

Non-Immigrant Visa Type “B” with Work Permit and you resign before expiration or it expires, you must cancel the visa at Thai Immigration before you leave Thailand. You will not be able to leave without the cancellation stamp.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

From a visa agent's website:-

Non-Immigrant Visa Type “B” with Work Permit and you resign before expiration or it expires, you must cancel the visa at Thai Immigration before you leave Thailand. You will not be able to leave without the cancellation stamp.

Which is an excellent example of why "visa agents" should be avoided like the plague !

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Your extension for all intents and purposes will end on the day you leave the country and you will get 30 days on entry.

You can get the 60 days extension to visit your wife without a problem. Your wife will need to go to immigration with you. You will need your marriage certificate, your wife's house book and ID card (and copies of them). Plus copies of your passport photo page, entry/permit to stay stamp and TM6 departure card. The fee will be 1900 baht.

Thanks again for this informative reply.

Is there an official name for this type of extension?

I'd also like to confirm that this option is still valid--I've read a few things about a recent crackdown on entries and extensions.

I assume it's fine to show up at immigration on the day before my current entry stamp expires.

Again, your assistance is greatly appreciated.

I'd also like to confirm that this option is still valid--I've read a few things about a recent crackdown on entries and extensions.

I assume it's fine to show up at immigration on the day before my current entry stamp expires.

It is an extension for vising your wife. That is what it is called on the police order.

There have been no changes for extension only entries to the country.

You can do it the day before or on that date. It would be best to go earlier.

• Like 1

Even though Ubenjoe advise is workable and can be used in this case (as he has no intention to work again in Thailand) it is not the official way of doing it off-course.

If people are on a extension based on work this extension should be cancelled at the immigration office on the same day you WP is cancelled.

You can buy a 7 day extension to short out your things before you leave the country.

if people leaving the country in the way explained by others this can can cause problems when applying for a new WP in future.

But nobody will stop you at the airport or something like that if you don't cancel your extension.

• Like 1

Reason of Necessity 2.24, Police Order 777/2551.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK, slightly off topic, but still related to my situation...

I just found out from my new employer that the earliest I can arrive is September 4th.

The problem is that my current 30 day entry stampt expires on July 5th, which is a Saturday, so I would need to go to a local immigration office on the 4th to get the 60 day spousal visit extension. According to my calculations, that 60 days would only get me to September 2nd.

If I attempt to pass through immigration at Suvarnabhumi on September 3 at around 9 or 10 PM, what kind of fine am I looking at? Will they put a overstay stamp in my passport?

BTW, I could drive my car to Pedang Besar in about 90 minutes to do a quick turnaround and pick up another 30 days. Is that still a possibility or is it no longer an option? The rationale for this would be that the eventual 60 day extension would allow me to easily leave on the 4th.

Any insights or suggestions are greatly appreciated, and thanks for your patience with all my questions.

If you go on the 4th your extension will still start on the 5th. Extensions start from your permit to stay date not when you apply.

Immigration at Suv does not charge for an overstay of less than 24 hours.

• Like 1